The last film you saw - 2014

Michelle

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished watching 'Gravity'. I was expecting good things with this film, but sadly, I'm disappointing. An action packed film, but it has very little plot. I'm also feeling rather dizzy after all of the spinning and movement throughout the film :roll2:

This was my most recent film.  I thought rather the opposite and really enjoyed it.  There were a few quibbles on the science, but on the whole it did well, and I liked the fact that the plot was pared down to such stark simplicity.  OH and I were enthralled.  We didn't have any expectations, but wondered whether Sandra Bullock would be able to hold the film on her own.  With some help from Mr Clooney, she did.

We also both thought that the 3D was a definite enhancement - the first time either of us have got even close to thinking that.

Offspring went to see American Hustle the week before last and was definitely underwhelmed.  "OK" was the verdict, certainly not Oscar material.

Edited by willoyd

The Heat. I thought I would not like this but it was in in fact very funny. Sandra Bullock seems to be having a bit of a box office revival and Meilissa Mcarthy is one of a kind. Although Bullock puts in much the same sort of performance as in her Miss Congeniality films the pairing of the two works well. It is pleasant no brainer entertainment. 

American Hustle, winner of the Golden Globe and Screen Writers Guild Award, deservedly so. It is a top candidate for the Academy Award. Great acting by Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams, and Christian Bale.

I can't get interested in it from the trailers the '70s clothes are a total turn off. I might watch the slavery film though I like the actor. 

I can't get interested in it from the trailers the '70s clothes are a total turn off.

Re American Hustle....agreed.  We saw previews at the theatre, and were totally turned off by the whole thing.  I don't much like the actors anyhow, aside from Jennifer Lawrence.   I don't know why, but I mostly just don't like movies that are based back in the 1970's and 1980's.  They annoy me, and I hate the hair and clothes.  :)  I lived through it once, and don't enjoy revisiting. 

We did go and see Jack Ryan, Shadow Recruit.  We both like action pictures, and this had a lot of that!  The computer usage and tracking capabilities are just fascinating to watch.  And Chris Pine is good, but I like him as James Tiberius Kirk.  :)  Kenneth Branagh both directed the film and played a truly wonderfully evil character. 

I got to see Gravity over the weekend. I have to admit that I wasn't expecting too much from it. But, now I've seen it, I have to say I was blown away! It will certainly be a film that you will either love or hate, I think. Very clever writing and acting that can keep you interested with only 2 people in the whole film.

I have to say though - Sandra Bullock's character must be the unluckiest astronaut in history!

Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.  Very good performances by Idris Elba and Naomie Harris.  I liked it a lot.  I bought the book about 18 months ago, and just haven't got around to reading it yet, but I'm determined to try and read it soon.

The 40 Year Old Virgin.

I love that film!! That final scene when Steve Carrell just looks up at the camera and... well, I won't spoil the surprise for everyone else, but it kills me every time! Just so funny!

I'm a massive Carrell fan though so I love everything he's in.

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (written by Tom Clancy)

The two people I saw it with liked it a lot, I thought it was just ok.  Some silly/ cheesy moments (like talking on a cell phone while on a motorcycle during a high speed chase).  Keira Knightly was good.

"The Wolf of Wall Street". I love Scorsese and I liked this film altough 3 hours maybe are a little too much. Great music, great editing, and a film that makes you think about the horrible people that exists in this world...