The last film you saw - 2014

Michelle

Yesterday I watched Dr. No. I hadn't seen it before nor have I seen much of James Bond films fully. I liked it but there were quite a few things about it that annoyed me (such as the amount of smoking, the flirting, some of the characters could've been more developed, the story was a bit confusing). I liked the action and the music though :).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday I watched Dr. No. I hadn't seen it before nor have I seen much of James Bond films fully. I liked it but there were quite a few things about it that annoyed me (such as the amount of smoking, the flirting, some of the characters could've been more developed, the story was a bit confusing). I liked the action and the music though :).

Where would James Bond be without some smoking and flirting?  :o

I got tired of the Bond films and much prefer Jason Bourne and Harry Palmer. (Michael Caine). 

Where would James Bond be without some smoking and flirting?  :o

I got tired of the Bond films and much prefer Jason Bourne and Harry Palmer. (Michael Caine).

He would be awesome but less of a jerk :P.

I don't know Harry Palmer but I think Michael Caine is a great actor. I've seen him in a few films now and all of his performances have been great. I haven't seen the Jason Bourne films, though I've heard a few things about them. I might see them in the future, I believe my brother owns them on DVD, I think.

I saw A Fault in Our Stars a few days ago at the cinema. Can't say I was a fan, it was far too cheesy for me, plus I didn't like the acting. It seems to be quite popular though.

He would be awesome but less of a jerk :P.

I don't know Harry Palmer but I think Michael Caine is a great actor. I've seen him in a few films now and all of his performances have been great. I haven't seen the Jason Bourne films, though I've heard a few things about them. I might see them in the future, I believe my brother owns them on DVD, I think.

The Jason Bourne films with Matt Damon in are brilliant.

Harry Palmer is a character from a series of spy books by an English author can't remember who. Michael Caine played him in the films. They made 5 films but only the first 3 are considered any good : The Ipcress File, Funeral In Berlin and The Billion Dollar Brain.

I like sixties British  films because of the style of filming and Harry Palmer is a very laid back sort of civil servant spy and there are no rocket packs and gadgets like in James Bond. 

Finally saw Slumdog Millionaire.  Last night, I thought it was just ok, but now that I've had some time to think about it, it seems like a brilliant premise.  I liked both Jamal and Latika and all the filming of Dharavi (I spent last year researching some of the worlds largest slums).  MIA's Paper Planes went along perfect with the scene it was in.  I don't know if I'd recommend it though, it is a bit hard to understand what is going on and my mom disliked it quite a bit.

The Jason Bourne films with Matt Damon in are brilliant.

Have you read the books?  They are on my TBR list, curious to see if they are as good as the movies...

Have you read the books?  They are on my TBR list, curious to see if they are as good as the movies...

I only read the first book, it is NO WAY as good as the latest incarnation of the movies. 

Here is my review from 2012, in spoiler tags:

The Bourne Identity

Robert Ludlum

I am sorry to say that I did not enjoy this novel as much as it may have deserved. The reason was that my perception of the Jason Bourne character has been completely coloured by the recent 21st century film version, which I prefer.

I found the original novel very dated. It was all about Vietnam,and fabled 70's assassins and international banking. It was all cleverly thought out but the plot seemed to move at a snail's pace, there was not too much excitement. Of course being the 70's there was none of that clever stuff with mobile phones that would have speeded it up.

Fatally, I did not like the main character or that of Marie St Jaques. Bourne in the book seemed to have a strategy of blocking bullets with his body rather than avoiding them, he must have been shot about 9 times in the story, had his fingers crushed and his throat half cut but he was always up and about after a little rest and/or a cuddle with Marie which was a bit ridiculous.

I won't be reading any of the sequels but will continue to enjoy the film versions.

I would not have finished it, I was on the point of giving up when there was a big twist just after half way.

Really, don't bother. Just enjoy the movies.

Edited by vodkafan

Must love dogs, with Diane Lane & John Cusack. Darn, that movie depressed me!!!!!!!!! Thought I'd like it because it featured at least one dog. But nope. Only liked the dog. 

Edited by emelee

I saw From Russia With Love, which was nice but I had some of the same issues as with Dr. No. That said, it speaks to the quality of the touched up Blu-rays that I didn't realise the film took place in the 1960s when the Cold War was going on, until a while later :doh:.

Yesterday I watched Goldfinger which I enjoyed more than the two James Bond films before it (Dr. No and From Russia With Love). There were more gadgets involved which I thought was very nice and I could follow the story better. There also wasn't much smoking. The whole male/female thing did bother me though, it isn't realistic at all that all the females would just fall for James Bond like that, and it's very tiring. I particularly didn't like it when Bond forced himself upon a girl and kissed her against her will. Other than those things though I enjoyed the film.

Having not read the book I wasn't quite sure what to expect but I did rather enjoy 100 year old man...... It was maybe a wee bit long but funny in places too.

Having not read the book I wasn't quite sure what to expect but I did rather enjoy 100 year old man...... It was maybe a wee bit long but funny in places too.

I didn't know they made a movie!  That is my second favorite book of the year!

Yesterday I watched Goldfinger which I enjoyed more than the two James Bond films before it (Dr. No and From Russia With Love). There were more gadgets involved which I thought was very nice and I could follow the story better. There also wasn't much smoking. The whole male/female thing did bother me though, it isn't realistic at all that all the females would just fall for James Bond like that, and it's very tiring. I particularly didn't like it when Bond forced himself upon a girl and kissed her against her will. Other than those things though I enjoyed the film.

:D  "No Mr. Bond, I want you to die."  

We watched a peculiar little film called 12 Monkeys the other night.  A young Bruce Willis, and a very young Brad Pitt.  So well acted.  Pitt makes a great "crazy". :D

4q1zrr.png