Janet's Log - Stardate 2014

Janet

I loved The Wind In The Willows when I was a child, but strangely I can't remember anything about it aside from the character names. :blush2:

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry was a pretty good read as well, helped along by the fact that a significant part of Harold's journey took him through areas local to me. It was nice to read about these familiar places. :smile:

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today's purchases...

2014NewBooks6-1_zps23602831.jpg

I've never heard of this before, but I love E H Shepard's illustrations and I love the period in which it's set (late Victorian)  :)

and...

2014NewBooks6-2_zps720ea699.jpg

I've been collecting these Beryl Cook covers since buying The Darling of May for the English Counties challenge.  Only the last one to track down now.  There are copies on Ebay but I only paid £1 for this (and the last one) so I'm hanging on, not being short of reading matter...!  :giggle2:

Great reviews! I also quite enjoyed The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, I can imagine it working quite well as an audiobook to listen to while walking :).

It was a really good walking book. :) I'm definitely going to get some more audio books to listen to!

I never read The Wind in the Willows either Janet. In fact, about 70% of the counties challenge is "books I feel I should have read already and haven't!" :D

I do hope you enjoy it, Alex. It was so charming. :)

Glad you enjoyed it, that's normally an indication I will too...except I really didn't like The Unlikely Pilgrimage...! I think I was in the minority though, and I suspect listening to it as you're wandering is simply the perfect way to digest it!

I do think that listening to it whilst walking enhanced my enjoyment of it. :) I'm honestly not sure whether it would have held the same charm if I was reading it - Jim Broadbent really made it.

I loved The Wind In The Willows when I was a child, but strangely I can't remember anything about it aside from the character names. :blush2:

I often can't remember what happened in books - sometimes when I've only read them a few weeks ago these days! :blush:

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry was a pretty good read as well, helped along by the fact that a significant part of Harold's journey took him through areas local to me. It was nice to read about these familiar places. :smile:

It was definitely nice to get a local feel with it. There was a lot of Bath in it which was nice. :)

029-2014-May-26-SugarfortheHorse_zps2370

Sugar for the Horse by H E Bates

The ‘blurb’

Gabriel's Uncle Silas has lived a life of halcyon days and pastoral pleasures: elderberry wine, sturdy young women and idle fishing on shady riverbanks.

With affectionate nostalgia he reminisces to his nephew about his younger days. When, for example, he ran away for the day with Queenie White, or the time he took part in an eating contest with Joey Wilks and the day he mourned the death of his singing sow, not to mention the way he acquired his deformed thumb by deftly escaping trouble.

Often inebriated, frequently indolent and occasionally 'obstropolis', Uncle Silas tells his tales, some taller than others, with incomparable charm and heartfelt joy.

I really enjoyed My Uncle Silas, the first book about the titular character so I was looking forward to this, the follow up.    It’s obviously very similar – more short stories about the narrator (unnamed as far as I can see, but Gabriel according to the ‘blurb’!) and the lovable rogue who is his Uncle.  I scored the first book full marks, but although I enjoyed this too it’s rather samey so I can’t score it as highly.  That’s not a reflection on the writing though – I really like Bates’ writing style.  :)

The paperback edition is 120 pages long and is published by Penguin.  It was first published in 1957.  The ISBN is 9780140166477 but is out of print.   

3/5 (I enjoyed it)

(Finished 26 May 2014)

Did you read either of the sequels to Cider With Rosie, Janet? I read As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning but not sure about A Moment Of War, it was quite a while ago now. I seem to remember in one of them that a friend he was travelling with died, it was very sad. Up until they had been very light-hearted and carefree.

Yes, I've read both of those and I Can't Stay Long, which contains a collection of memories and essays. :)  It's a bit dated now, of course, but as you would imagine it still feels beautifully written. : )

030-2014-June-02-TheDinner_zpsc6f3398d.j

The Dinner by Herman Koch

The ‘blurb’

One evening in Amsterdam and two couples meet for dinner. They need to discuss their teenage sons. The boys have committed a horrifying crime, caught on CCTV. They remain unidentified - except by their parents. How far will each couple go to protect their child?

I have just turned the last page of this book, which I’m going to be discussing at Book Club on Wednesday, and it’s fair to say it has left me feeling rather cold. 

The premise is great.  Your 15-year-old son is involved in an appalling crime – but somehow appears to have got away with it.   As far as you know, the only people who know that your child is responsible are you and your wife and the parents of another child – your nephew in this case - who carried out the crime with your own boy.  Morally the correct thing to do would be to tell the police and stand by your child as they face the consequences of their actions.  But when push comes to shove, would you… could you… shop your own child?

The main problem with this book is that it takes far too long for anything to happen.  It is doubtful whether I would have continued with the book if it wasn’t for Book Club.  I think it was about a third of the way into the story that we actually find out what crime these two ‘not-quite-men’ have perpetrated.  This slowness, coupled with the fact that none of the characters are likeable or seem to have any redeeming features, meant that I really didn’t look forward to picking the book up.  Until yesterday I’d only managed to read 75 pages in 5 days!  I decided to have a run at it today and read the rest of it in two chunks, but it wasn’t really a pleasure. 

The only plus point I can see is that I think the subject-matter is going to provide for some excellent discussion on Wednesday night! 

The paperback edition is 309 pages long and is published by Atlantic Books.  It was first published in 2009.  The ISBN is 9781848873834.   

2/5 (Meh!)

(Finished 2 June 2014)

I know that Alex didn't rate this book either, so I'm off to find and read her review (if she wrote one, which I expect she did!). 

Edited by Janet

It's a shame you didn't enjoy it :(. I haven't ever read the book, I didn't hear of it until I was a member of this forum! There are much better Dutch books around that I think you'd enjoy more, unfortunately most of them haven't been translated as far as I know. I hope your next read will be more enjoyable, Janet. I hope you have a nice discussion with your book group.

I have this on my wishlist, based on a previous review I read on here. If I recall, the review wasn't particularly glowing, but the premise had me interested. Think I will keep it on my wishlist for a while longer, rather than buy it.

I have to say that The Dinner gave us one of the best discussions we've had for a long time!  It provoked very mixed opinions - that's always great for Book Club.  :)

Today I bought this for £1.59 in a charity shop. It's just gorgeous and looks virtually brand new!  :D

2014NewBooks7_zps36376b59.jpg

:wub:

I've read it dozens of times, but not in adulthood.  I need to read Winnie-the-Pooh before I reread it though.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't finished a book since 11 June.  I just seem to have been so busy!

I have found time to buy some more books though  :blush:   I was doing so well too!

Last Friday I bought this...

2014NewBooks83_zps2df6cec2.jpg

For 40p

And these for £2 each...

2014NewBooks82_zps35eca767.jpg   2014NewBooks81_zps015e1ace.jpg

I hope you enjoy all your new books :). The Ocean at the End of the Lane is on my TBR and I have a book by Maggie O'Farrell on my TBR but not that one. The A. A. Milne books look to have beautiful illustrations, I'm a little jaleous :P.