Janet's Log - Stardate 2014

Janet

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had the weirdest dream last night! Kylie and I were at Chester zoo waiting for Sari who was late. When she arrived we were a bit surprised because she'd turned into a 4' tall penguin!

The zoo keeper said she was a new species and would have to stay and as he was leading her away to tag her I made him promise he'd call her Frankie! :blush::lol:

:lol: :lol: I love it! I get to be a penguin and hang out with all the other penguins! I'm happy with it as long as you come and read for me on a regular basis. I'm not sure if penguins can read :( 

^  Frankie just found out she's a penguin, and that it's Friday! 

Of course I'll come and read to you. Penguin classics only, of course!! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: Man, that was brilliant :D I never would've come up with Penguin classics :D

I hope Madame Bovary is not a Penguin classic  :hide:    :giggle2:

booksellers-8c526f5fae1778cf5bba20480aca

Oh man, look at what my new buddies are doing!! :unsure: 

Edited by frankie

I love that vid, Frankie. I can totally imagine you behaving like that, and all the other penguins going 'who is this weirdo?' :D

Of course I'll come and read to you. Penguin classics only, of course!! :D

Very clever!  :clapping:

I hope Madame Bovary is not a Penguin classic  :hide:   

post-3835-0-99395000-1416564622_thumb.jpg

What do you mean weirdo? They be like, who's this cool new kid on the block?

Um, yeah. Sure. :P

Trust you to look around for a copy.... ....

I was actually going to insert at least three Penguin MB covers, and then I thought of including a random Shel Silverstein photo as well, so you'd be flicking through the Penguin covers and then suddenly he'd be staring at you.  :giggle2: 

See how much I restrained myself?   :angel_not:

Um, yeah. Sure. :P

Oi!!

I was actually going to insert at least three Penguin MB covers, and then I thought of including a random Shel Silverstein photo as well, so you'd be flicking through the Penguin covers and then suddenly he'd be staring at you.  :giggle2: 

See how much I restrained myself?   :angel_not:

Much appreciated! :D  :friends3:   

Okay I think if I continue off-topicing in this thread, Jänet will have a penguin slaughtering dream tonight :blush: 

Okay I think if I continue off-topicing in this thread, Jänet will have a penguin slaughtering dream tonight :blush:

No penguin slaughtering dreams, fortunately.  Phew!  :D

I know someone on here has read Hollow Frost Hall by Emma Carroll (Claire has, I think).  I've had it on my wish list for a long time now (I was attracted to it in Waterstone's due to its beautiful cover!). 

I am wondering about suggesting it for my Book Club.   It's my turn next so I'll be announcing it to the group next Monday and then we'll be meeting some time in January to discuss it.

I wanted a wintery or Christmas themed book so this seems perfect... however, one of our number really doesn't like ghost stories!  She freaked out when I chose The Woman in Black by Susan Hill back in 2009 (I didn't know about her fear back then) - she did manage to finish it but had to read it out in the garden in one sitting on a weekend so her husband was home!  She also managed The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters, but it was uncomfortable reading for her.

So really I'm wondering... as it's a children's book, just how scary is it?  I don't want to pick another book that my friend is going to struggle with, but I'm struggling to think of anything else to choose!

Yes, it was me who has read Frost Hollow Hall.  It would be perfect to fit your winter theme, but there was one bit I found particularly creepy, and I'm not normally affected by ghosts in books.  As a comparison, I wasn't that bothered by The Woman In Black although I thought it was atmospheric and I enjoyed reading it, and despite Frost Hollow Hall being aimed at the 9-12 age range,  I did find just that one scene (not more than a few pages) quite scary, and gave me goosebumps.

• 4 weeks later...

I had two lovely books from the lovely Kay for Christmas - The Dynamite Room by Jason Hewitt, which has been on my Amazon Wish List since July - I think following one of Kay's excellent reviews, and an Audio CD - Stephen Fry presents Stories for All Ages (Oscar Wilde) which I'm really looking forward to.  Stephen Fry reading Oscar Wilde - what could be more perfect?  :)  Thank, Kay.  :hug:

I also had three Waterstone's vouchers - one from Peter, one from my Mum and one from my son's girlfriend.  £65 in total.

How lucky am I?!  :)

I had £20 of Amazon vouchers, £18 of which has already been spent....

Good skills, Alex! :D

We're going away for a couple of nights to Exeter so I shall take mine with me... although I don't like spending them straight away - I like lingering over my choices and the anticipation of spending them is as good as the actual act of doing so!  :giggle2:

I know someone on here has read Hollow Frost Hall by Emma Carroll (Claire has, I think).  I've had it on my wish list for a long time now (I was attracted to it in Waterstone's due to its beautiful cover!). 

I am wondering about suggesting it for my Book Club.   It's my turn next so I'll be announcing it to the group next Monday and then we'll be meeting some time in January to discuss it.

I wanted a wintery or Christmas themed book so this seems perfect... however, one of our number really doesn't like ghost stories!  She freaked out when I chose The Woman in Black by Susan Hill back in 2009 (I didn't know about her fear back then) - she did manage to finish it but had to read it out in the garden in one sitting on a weekend so her husband was home!  She also managed The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters, but it was uncomfortable reading for her.

So really I'm wondering... as it's a children's book, just how scary is it?  I don't want to pick another book that my friend is going to struggle with, but I'm struggling to think of anything else to choose!

Yes, it was me who has read Frost Hollow Hall.  It would be perfect to fit your winter theme, but there was one bit I found particularly creepy, and I'm not normally affected by ghosts in books.  As a comparison, I wasn't that bothered by The Woman In Black although I thought it was atmospheric and I enjoyed reading it, and despite Frost Hollow Hall being aimed at the 9-12 age range,  I did find just that one scene (not more than a few pages) quite scary, and gave me goosebumps.

After consulting my friend in advance I did go for Frost Hollow Hall which I finished just before Christmas.  I very much enjoyed it, although there was something about it that bugged me a bit.  I need to catch up on some reviews as I'm behind again!  :blush:

My friend said she would read it to her eldest child (he's 12) so it wasn't so scary for her as reading it alone - I don't know how she's got on with it though (or whether she's even started it!).  We're not really meant to discuss the book before the night of Book Club, but one of our members loved it so much that she couldn't resist telling me when we popped round with her Christmas card.  She listened to an audio version and said she was at a spooky part when her running app spoke to her and made her jump!  :lol:  She texted me just before Christmas to say that the family had it on in the car on their journey to stay with some family in Devon and that her children were mesmerised by it!

Which scene was the bit that gave you goosebumps, Claire?   :)

I've just been to get the book off the shelf so I could look it up - it's that last few pages of chapter 16, where Tilly and Gracie have to go up the back staircase, and there's a third shadow and then Tilly hears someone whispering in her ear.  I think when I read it the first time, I was caught up in the middle of a long reading session and on my own, and it just sent a shiver down my spine - looking back at it now, it seems a bit more innocuous! :D