Your Book Activity - January 2014

Kylie

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand by your right to criticise any writer Marie! :D

Thanks poppyshake, I think I must be sounding a bit terse and tetchy with my posts at the moment  :blush2:  

Oh dear the overwhelming snobbishness of her books (especially Malory Towers/St Clares) sailed right over my head as a child. I used to dream about boarding with those girls when in effect .. I'd have been relegated to the kitchen .. pocketing the scraps to take home to my poor old mum who'd been lamed by her gin soaked husband. Enid never considered the working classes would read her books .. she didn't think we could  

I have to admit that I loved the St Clare's novels as child, and It took me years to realise how hideously snobbish. They were

I do find Wyndham's writing is similar to Enid Blyton, and I think it was his Cockney working-class bit (which was very much as coming from the Dick Van Dyke School of British Character Acting  :D

Yes .. but ... where was I? .. oh yes :blush2: .. *STATING THE OBVIOUS ALERT* we all like what we like and vice versa and books that enchant one can disgust others (I had a terrible Mervyn Peake experience recently .. that is I had a nice time with him but hardly anyone else did  :blush2:

We're not wishy washy with our opinions .. we love our books and authors too much and, as you say, it breeds interesting discussions   

I agree, we're not wishy-washy with our opinions, and its great when we discuss/disagree  :smile: . I think I must vent my spleen slightly too strongly sometimes  :giggle: . I also got rather wound up about Jorge Luis Borges's Fictions earlier this week, and after that I was still as mad as a wet hen when I finished Trouble with Lichen  :D .

And, btw, I'm sorry if I sounded huffy, didn't mean to at all!  I totally agree with Kay, et als  re the variety of opinions being a good thing. 

No pontalba, you didn't sound at all huffy, and I am glad that we can give out with our opinions here! Definitely diversity babies :friends3:.  

Feeling a bit miffed by The English Monster. It's a fictionalised account of The Ratcliffe Highway murders, but the author has

No wonder you are miffed! *sigh* Maybe the publishers were hoping to go for the YA market... :roll:

Just reading back the thoughts on Enid - I loved her books as a child, read Famous Five, Malory Towers and St Clare's, and never noticed any snobbishness! But then, the last time I picked one up I was probably 11! Not sure if I should go back to them and see what you mean or live in blissful ignorance :D

Finally, I have found out the problem I had with The Secret History!  The paperback copy I have, found after three days of searching, has print that is too small, too pale, and the paper is crummy.......causing the font to ever so slightly bleed.  So, I gave up and downloaded the kindle copy.  Now, I'm cruising along.  :D

Edited by pontalba

Well, finished The Secret History finally! :)

Awesome! :D And I see you gave it a rather great rating... Wohoo! :D

Finally, I have found out the problem I had with The Secret History!  The paperback copy I have, found after three days of searching, has print that is too small, too pale, and the paper is crummy.......causing the font to ever so slightly bleed.  So, I gave up and downloaded the kindle copy.  Now, I'm cruising along.  :D

Awesome, again! :D I hope it continues :)

I finished The Rosie Project yesterday, what a marvelous read! :smile2: Then I picked up The Line of Beauty, I'm about ~50 pages in :)

So I have my TBR list for the next few weeks. I've added Misery by Stephen King and The great Gatsby by Fitzgerald. Misery is suppose to be a psychological thriller. I've never read anything by King so I'm looking forward to it. Gatsby is of course a classic. I hear its really good.

I'll reach for them once I finish people of the

book by Geraldine Brooks. The constant pressure regarding my

studies has made me a very slow reader. Need

to read more books every week. I need to stop

feeling pathetic about not reading enough.

Picked up a copy of The Black Cloud by Fred Hoyle on Saturday and am planning to start it tonight. 

Looks like an old school end of the world British science fiction novel, in the same vein and Wells and Wyndham.  Here's hoping!

I'm actually enjoying Paper Towns by John Green, I wasn't expecting too after disliking Looking For Alaska so much.. But there is a revenge seeking ex girlfriend in there which appeals to my sense of justice..  ;)  :giggle2:

x

That's great to hear, Paper Towns is on my TBR.

So glad you're enjoying it, Chaliepud. There are some passages towards the end of the book that are among my favourite ever written. Can't wait to see what you think  of it once you've finished!

Athena, definitely check it out, amazing book!

I finished reading The Program by Suzanne Young, which got a lot better once it got into the action. Still not sure if I'd pick up the next installment, but won't be giving it as scathing a review as I originally anticipated. Also finished Dante and Aristotle Discover The Secrets Of The Universe by some guy with three names I can never rememeber. Benjamin something. It was an unusual read, definitely one that I probably should have spent more time on instead of tearing through to get to the end, but a very good book.

Finished Burial Rites, which I really enjoyed.  Started Sisterland last night.  I purchased Hollow City (half price on Nook) & Orphan Train (deal of the day) but need to read a couple library books first

Just reading back the thoughts on Enid - I loved her books as a child, read Famous Five, Malory Towers and St Clare's, and never noticed any snobbishness! But then, the last time I picked one up I was probably 11! Not sure if I should go back to them and see what you mean or live in blissful ignorance :D

Ah, I loved the days of St Clare's - midnight feasts, sport matches (who cared if I didn't have as clue what lacrosse was  :giggle2: , making someone an apple-pie bed ( :huh:)jolly times they had etc. But I don't think that Enid never came across working class children, and never thought that they would read her books. :sarcastic:  . It was great to read them, it was the reading matter in summer holidays, I don't think I should go back - life seemed different when I was 11  :blush2: . Good or bad, I'm never sure  :shrug:

Edited by Marie H

So I have my TBR list for the next few weeks. I've added Misery by Stephen King and The great Gatsby by Fitzgerald. Misery is suppose to be a psychological thriller. I've never read anything by King so I'm looking forward to it. Gatsby is of course a classic. I hear its really good.

I'll reach for them once I finish people of the

book by Geraldine Brooks. The constant pressure regarding my

studies has made me a very slow reader. Need

to read more books every week. I need to stop

feeling pathetic about not reading enough.

Misery is absolutely brilliant book, one of my favourites. So is the film, Kathy Bates plays the role of Annie Wilkes perfectly like it was made for her, she fully deserved her Oscar for it!!

Hope you enjoy it!!!

Edited by geordie9

Ah, I loved the days of St Clare's - midnight feasts, sport matches (who cared if I didn't have as clue what lacrosse was  :giggle2: , making someone an apple-pie bed ( :huh:)jolly times they had etc. But I don't think that Enid never came across working class children, and never thought that they would read her books. :sarcastic:  . It was great to read them, it was the reading matter in summer holidays, I don't think I should go back - life seemed different when I was 11  :blush2: . Good or bad, I'm never sure  :shrug:

I never understood what their fascination with condensed milk was :lol:

My Mum and her brother and sister used to have condensed milk sandwiches (during the war) - they decided one Christmas a few years ago to try them again aand all thought they were disgusting! :lol:

My Dad used to have sugar sandwiches and has done the same! :D