Ruth - 2014

Ruth

I'm hoping to read at least 10 biographies/autobiographies, at least ten other non-fiction books, and a minimum of ten novels, so I'll be listing the books I read in each category here, as well as reviewing them, so I can look back and remember what I thought of them :)

Biographies / autobiographies

In the Pleasure Groove: Love, Death and Duran Duran, by John Taylor - 3/5
Clark Gable, by Warren G. Harris - 3.5/5
The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography, by Sidney Poitier - 5/5

The Moon's A Balloon, by David Niven - 4/5

The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr., edited by Clayborne Carson - 5/5

Rich: The Life of Richard Burton, by Melvyn Bragg - 5/5

A Fortunate Life, by Robert Vaughn - 4/5

My Father's Daughter, by Tina Sinatra (with Jeff Coplon)

Other non-fiction

Them: Adventures With Extremists, by Jon Ronson - 4/5
Bluestockings: The Remarkable Story of the First Women to Fight for an Education, by Jane Robinson - 4.5/5
Delusions of Gender, by Cordelia Fine - 4/5

Kiss My Asterisk, by Jenny Baranick - 5/5

Moranthology, by Caitlin Moran - 3.5/5

Howard's End is on the Landing, by Susan Hill - 4/5

How To Be A Woman, by Caitlin Moran - 2.25/5

Running Like a Girl, by Alexandra Heminsley - 5/5

Too Much Information, by Dave Gorman - 5/5

Hatchet Job, by Mark Kermode - 4.5/5

Difficult Men, by Brett Martin - 5/5

Novels

The Cold Dish, by Craig Johnson - 4/5
Beyond the Burning Time, by Kathryn Lasky - 3.25/5
Capital, by John Lanchester - 4.5/5
The Witch's Cradle, by Gillian White - 4.5/5
The Shadow Year, by Hannah Richell - 3.5/5
The Storyteller, by Jodi Picoult - 4/5
Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe - 2.5/5

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, by David Nobbs - 3.75/5

Daphne, by Justine Picardie - 3.5/5

Perfect, by Rachel Joyce - 3.75/5

The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared, by Jonas Jonasson - 3.5/5

Cuckoo, by Julia Crouch - 3.5/5

Kiss Me First, by Lottie Moggach - 5/5

The Never List, by Koethi Zan - 2.5/5

Emma, by Jane Austen - 5/5

The Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas - 4.5/5

Lucia, Lucia, by Adriana Trigiani - 3.75/5

The Snows of Kilimanjaro, and other stories, by Ernest Hemingway - 2.5/5

Cakes and Ale, by W. Somerset Maugham - 5/5

Tender is the `Night, by F. Scott Fitzgerald - 2.25/5

Edited by Ruth

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cold Dish, by Craig Johnson

1f0e8167fb696e3593267335551434d414f4141.

(I'm not that fast a reader; I read most of this at the tail end of 2013!)

This book is the first in a series featuring Sheriff Walt Longmire, and set in Absaroka County, Wyoming.  Walt has to investigate when Cody Pritchard, who was one of four young men who committed a serious sexual assault on a young Native American girl, is killed.  Together with his friend, Henry Standing Bear, who is also the uncle of the young girl; and his deputy, the foul-mouthed but efficient Vic Moretti, Walt tries to figure out who killed Cody, and to stop further acts of violence.

I enjoyed this book a lot, mainly because I adored the characters of Walt and Henry.  Walt narrates the novel, and he is an engaging, compassionate and witty narrator.  Henry is calculating, intelligent, and fiercely loyal to his friend, and both characters were very well developed.  I also liked Vic Moretti, who despite railing against everything and everybody, shows her dedication to her job and her boss.

The police investigate the case methodically, and more through good old fashioned instint and sleuthing, rather than the use of hi-tech forensics, or incredible coincidence, and this appealed to me.  The ending was a surprise, but in retrospect, it made sense.

If I had any criticism, I would say that it was the large amount of the novel given over to explanations of the different types of guns used in the story, and the amount of time taken to explain the geography of Absaroka County (possibly because I find it hard to carry such descriptions in my mind).  But I’m probably nitpicking.  Overall, the characters are relatable and believable, and the story does keep you guessing.  I will definitely be reading the further novels in this series.

Hi Ruth I like your well-rounded reading plan: biographies, fiction, non-fiction. Please tell me what time is the novel Cold Dish set in?  It wasn't obvious from your review... I liked this though: "I would say that it was the large amount of the novel given over to explanations of the different types of guns used in the story"  That is a plus point for me right there :giggle2:

Ruth

Interesting to read about the Longmire books. I think there is maybe a cable tv show made from the books ?  They sound good and so does the book. Kinda like a modern-day sheriff -cowboy type book .  :)

I hope you enjoy your reading this year Ruth. :smile: You're off to a great start with a 4 out of 5.

Happy Reading in 2014, Ruth :)!

Enjoy your reading in 2014 Ruth. :smile:

Best wishes for your reading year Ruth!

Thanks everyone. I hope 2014 is a happy and peaceful year for us all :)

I hope you have a great reading year, Ruth! You always write wonderful reviews and I'm always inspired by your log :)

Thanks Frankie - right back at ya :)

Hi Ruth I like your well-rounded reading plan: biographies, fiction, non-fiction. Please tell me what time is the novel Cold Dish set in? It wasn't obvious from your review... I liked this though: "I would say that it was the large amount of the novel given over to explanations of the different types of guns used in the story" That is a plus point for me right there :giggle2:

Hi VF. It is set in modern day Wyoming; sorry, I should have made that clear. Don't let me mislead you about the guns. There's not loads and loads of technical jargon, but as Walt talks about gunshots inflicted on certain characters, his knowledge of guns definitely came into play. If you know much about guns, you would understand what he's saying better than I did, but that did not spoil my enjoyment at all.

Ruth

Interesting to read about the Longmire books. I think there is maybe a cable tv show made from the books ? They sound good and so does the book. Kinda like a modern-day sheriff -cowboy type book . :)

Hi Julie - yes, that is exactly the kind of book that The Cold Dish is :) There is indeed a show, called Longmire. It's actually starting here in the UK tonight, and I will be watching. I loved the character of Walt, and also the character of Henry (who is played by Lou Diamond Phillips in the series, I believe).

Edited by Ruth

Them: Adventures with Extremists, by Jon Ronson

f41cbd119b7584f59304f626167434d414f4141.

As the title suggests, this is journalist Jon Ronson’s account of his time spent with different extremists, including Omar Bakri, radio show host Alex Jones, David Icke, Thom Robb (a KKK leader, who is trying to improve the KKK’s public image), and others.  While Ronson remains generally respectful of each person, and tries to remain somewhat neutral, his opinions do occasionally filter through.

It is difficult to read about what some of these people believe without squirming, or becoming angry, but what most of them have in common is a conviction that the world is being run by a secret elite group, who decide who will be president and prime minister of various countries, amongst other things. While their claims smack of the ridiculous, there were a couple of scenes which did give me pause for wonder – just who WAS trailing Ronson in Portugal?  And the final chapter was almost unbelievable.  Except that it was believable (and the events apparently captured on videotape).

Ronson writes with (much-needed) patience and wry humour, and is a likeable narrator.  The book is humorous, but he seems to laugh at the situations, rather than the people he is spending time with.  I admire him being able to stick it out.  Some of the people he was spending time with were so objectionable in their beliefs that I think I would have jacked it in much sooner!

I enjoyed his style of writing, and will definitely be reading more by this author.

Edited by Ruth

Ruth

Them sounds very interesting . I like learning about people like that who have odd beliefs and quite objectionable ideas to follow ,but it'd be interesting to see why they think as they do and try to understand it .  Always good to learn about others'  lifestyles .

Hi Julie :)

Yes, it was very interesting.  Some of the people featured were really objectionable - one chapter for example deals with the Ku Klux Klan, and I just can't reconcile myself with that way of thinking, but Ronson's time with the various subjects was fascinating to read about.  The last chapter - which I won't spoil made me  :o  at some of the things which he witnessed, which made me question whether there really was something in the various conspiracy theories!  The book reminded me very much of books by Louis Theroux, who I also enjoy reading.

Ruth

Now you have me very curious about the last chapter !   Sounds intriguing .. I have seen a few of Theroux's shows , and he certainly does deal with some wacky people. I don't know how he keeps from losing it with some of them .. Nasty  ...

I agree about the KKK group. Nothing good can come out of that situation . Sometimes you think we'd be past all these fringe groups of fanatics, but I guess as long as there are people, we'll have some that are OFF-CENTER .  :(

I am a huge fan of Louis Theroux.

Might have to check out this book, I have another of his on my shelf.

Edited by Devi

I am a huge fan of Louis Theroux.

Might have to check out this book, I have another of his on my shelf.

I found that I must have bought a couple more of his books too, as I have The Psychopath Test on my shelf (I think I do remember buying that from the Hay Festival a couple of years ago), and The Men Who Stare at Goats.  I probably bought that after seeing the film.

Beyond the Burning Time, by Kathryn Lasky

0590473328.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.j

This book is aimed at young adults, but can definitely be enjoyed by older readers too.  Weaving fiction with fact, it tells the story of Mary Chase, a young girl living in Salem, Massachusetts, in the late 17th century, at the time of the infamous witch trials.  Mary and her mother and brother are horrified as a group of young girls accuse various members of the community of committing heinous supernatural deeds, and call them witches.  After being given only the flimsiest of trials, the women, and some men, are punished by hanging.  Despite their upset and anger, Mary does not initially know just how close to home the terror will strike, and when it does, she has to act fast to save those she loves.

I liked this book, partly because the subject itself is so fascinating, and also because there was actually a great story in there too.  The characterisation is not as strong as it maybe could have been, and the story did not always move quickly, but in a way that was a good thing – there was this creeping sense of terror, as it slowly dawned on people that they might be the next accused.  Also, some people found to their cost that to speak out against the accusers and the way the accused were being treated was also dangerous.

Although Mary and her family, and some of the other characters are fictional, there are many characters including the accusers and most of the victims of the persecution who were real people, and whose fates did transpire as they do in the book.  It would be an interesting introduction to the subject of the Salem Witch Trials, for anybody who wants to learn more the subject, although it is worth bearing in mind that some place names and dates have been changed (there is an author’s note at the back where she explains such changes).

• 2 weeks later...

In the Pleasure Groove: Love, Death and Duran Duran, by John Taylor

0525958002.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.j

I first discovered Duran Duran when I  was a young teenager, and quickly become obsessed.  As I grew older, I drifted away from them, but always came back again.  They may not be my favourites any more, but I still like listening to them, and as John Taylor was by far my favourite when I was growing up (I was convinced I’d marry him one day, and boy, did I hate Amanda de Cadenet when she beat me to it!), I was looking forward to reading his biography.  I should point out that I actually listened to the audio version of this book, which is narrated by John himself.

Anyway…I have mixed feelings about it.  I enjoyed the first part when he talks about growing up as an only child, and how he developed a love of music.  He talks about forming bands with friends including Nick Bates (now known as Nick Rhodes), and eventually forming Duran Duran with the line-up for which they are most famous.  They were very democratic, being one of the few bands who credited each and every member with writing each and every song.  However, the story of living his dream soon becomes a nightmare, as Taylor details how he fell into the drug scene, and become dependent both on cocaine and alcohol.

Some of the inside info about the music business was interesting – the machinations of the publicity machines, the secrets behind recording a slot for Top of the Pops, for instance – but the whole book kind of feels more like an overview of Taylor’s life, rather than a detailed autobiography.  I liked that he pretty much avoids dishing the dirt on anybody except himself – although after initially speaking pretty affectionately of fellow band member Andy Taylor, he seems rather dismissive of him at the end of the book.  Some of the language though feels quite contrived – maybe it sounds more so when it’s being read aloud, and the book generally feels like it was rushed.  (It was ghostwritten however, so I’m not sure exactly how much blame can be attributed to Taylor for that.)

Overall, Taylor comes across as a genuinely nice guy, and it was good to hear how he eventually conquered his demons, and has managed to stay clean and sober for two decades.  I’d probably recommend the book as decent but not essential reading, strictly for fellow Duran Duran fans.

Clark Gable, by Warren Harris

1854109049.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.j

Clark Gable is one of my favourite actors, although he died before I was born.  Whenever I watch his films, I can always see just why he was so popular – women loved him, and men wanted to be like him.  He was the ultimate in masculinity, and was not known as King of Hollywood for nothing.

This book is a fairly decent biography, which seems pretty evenhanded throughout.  It does a good job of telling the facts – although there are a couple of errors regarding some of the films – so in a sense, it does do its job, but while I understand that it is impossible to include every single story from someone’s life, I felt that certain things were missed out, which should have been included.  For instance, the book acknowledges that Gable wanted to boycott the premiere of Gone With The Wind, out of solidarity with his  friend Victor Fleming, who was in dispute with producer David Selznick, over his (Fleming’s) directorial credit.  However, it did not even give mention to the well documented fact that Gable was furious that the black members of the cast would not be able to sit with the white members of the cast at the premiere due to Atlanta’s segregation laws, and that he wanted to boycott the premiere for this reason.  Such an occurrence reveals a lot about the measure of a man, and I was amazed that it wasn’t included.

However, the book does a fairly good job of describing Gable’s rise to movie star from very humble beginnings, and generally portrays him as an approachable and agreeable man, easy to work with, and courteous and kind by nature.  It goes into detail about his five marriages – one can’t help but wonder what would have happened had his very happy marriage to actress Carole Lombard not have been cut tragically short by her death in a plane crash.

I would recommend the book to fellow Gable fans – it might not be the most comprehensive biography available, but it’s certainly readable, and respectful without being fawning.

Capital, by John Lanchester

0571234623.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.j

The book features the various residents of Pepys Road, London, who include Roger, a rich banker and his materialistic wife Arabella; 82 year old widow Petunia Howe; shop owners Ahmed and Rohinka Kamal, and their two children; and a young footballer from Senegal and his father.  The book starts in December 2007, when each house receives an anonymous postcard which simply says We Want What You Have.  The mystery surrounding who is behind the postcards escalates, and provides the backdrop for the snapshots of these characters’ lives.  It also shows that despite outward appearances – all the houses on the street are highly desirable and would sell for a huge profit, meaning that the residents are all sitting on a lot of money in assets – sometimes if people knew more about someone’s life, they most certainly would NOT want what that person has.

This book was chosen for our local book club, and produced very mixed reactions.  I am firmly in the ‘loved it’ camp.  Although it is near 600 pages long, I found myself reading it very quickly and being reluctant to put it down.  The book not only concentrated on the residents of Pepys Road, but also their families, colleagues or friends.  Everyone is dealing with their own issues, some big, some seemingly inconsequential, perhaps concerning love, money or work (and in a couple of cases, health).

What struck me the most was that as I grew familiar with the characters, I found myself changing my mind about many of them, perhaps liking them more or less than I did originally.  The themes which ran through the story lines were relatable, and because of the way that the chapters wove in and out of the various characters’ lives, it never became boring.  Just when I was wondering what would happen with one thread, the book carried on with a different one (that sounds like a complaint, but I actually really enjoyed that, and it was part of what made me keep reading).

The story is amusing in parts, and very sad in other parts.  At times, the events are so everyday that it’s hard to know exactly what makes the story just so compelling, but it certainly kept me coming back for more.

(I don’t really feel that this review has done justice to the book.  Basically I loved it, and want to recommend it to everybody!)

Ruth

That sounds really good ! I hope I can find it for Kindle ! You've sold me on it if I can .

Found it ! :D

Result !!!!  :D

Great review Ruth  :smile: I remember seeing Capital in Waterstones but for some reason i jumped to the conclusion that it was a non fiction book about London  :doh: Anyway it's now on my wishlist.