Frankie reads 2014

frankie

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

I hated this with a passion. But a lot of people enjoy it, so...

Non-Fiction

Alone in Berlin by Hans Allada (Karsa Orlong)

I'm one of them: loved it as a child, and, having read some of the stories to my children at school in preparation for seeing a stage production last term, have found I still do. Language is typically Kiplingesque - rather formal and old fashioned, but the children were absolutely enthralled, as was I. The Kipling I don't get on with is The Just-So Stories which, even as a child, I found horribly twee and patronising.

FWIW, Alone in Berlin is fiction. It's based on a true story, but is still itself fiction. (Loathed it myself, but I know I'm in a very small minority, although I gather it's not regarded in Germany as the classic it is here).

That's a monumental TBR list Frankie. I'd find it way overpowering, as I wouldn't even begin to know how to start it (although the list of unread books on my shelves is probably a similar order of magnitude) but I'm sure you can handle it! However you tackle it, I hope you have a great year's reading.

Edited by willoyd

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I. Am. Overcome.  Really.  Really!

Beautiful organization, Sari.  Just beautiful. 

Beyond me, for sure.  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When are you going to come and organize us

It took me three days, at least, to find The Secret History.  That is just wrong.

Thank you kindly, pontalba :D I'll come over as soon as I can find some really cheap tickets to the States! If I catalogue all your books and arrange them in the order you prefer, could you provide me with room and breakfast? :D And a bit of sightseeing guiding?

Three days to find The Secret History?? Hm... I think it would take me a year to rearrange your books and I don't think you'd want to put up with me for that long... :blush:

Yay! Frankie's new lists!! 

There is so much to comment on that I'll have to do it post by post (so I should be done by the end of 2014 ).

But for the moment, I want to wish you the very best reading year ever, my dear.  :friends3:

Thank you darling! :smile2: Now, more importantly: Where is the Kylie log??? We've all been waiting for it!! (No pressure... But get going :D)

I hope you have a great reading year, too!

By the way, I have a list of all of the Rory books which I painstakingly put together from the various lists floating around. I can send it to you and Alexi if you both want it. I'm not sure that it's in easy format to copy into the forum (it's in an Excel spreadsheet) but I think it could be done if it's copied into a text file first.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm kinda attached to my three Rory lists. It makes no sense, but I am :shrug: More lists to cross books off from :D

I need to set aside maybe an hour to look through your lists Sari, the magnitude is rather intimidating and makes my blog look very pathetic!  :giggle:

Have a wonderful 2014 in every which way my booky and doggy friend. 

:hny:

Happy New Year Hayley, and I hope you have a bookalicious reading year! :friends3:

Actually, I was considering dropping most of the challenge, and just go with TBR and wishlist and maybe the 1001 and Rory challenge, and leave it at that. Because I have no idea what this year has in store for me... But then I just couldn't :blush: I had to have all my lists :D But I'm not going to stress over them, that's no fun. I had a rather poor reading year last year so I've eaten some humple pie and will try and go with the flow this time...

Happy Reading in 2014 Frankie!

Thanks Devi, and the very same to you! :friends3:

Oh dear! Something must have gone very wrong at the printing press. You'd think they would destroy all those copies instead of releasing them. Maybe it will make the book more interesting to read?? Could be like an extra challenge for you?

Yep, something must've gone wrong, but how could they have not noticed it?? :D I took a closer look at the book yesterday and noticed that even the cover was slightly faulty :D I took a bunch of books to the library yesterday, to give away, but I couldn't part with this copy... It was too hilarious!

Ooh, I like that idea! Quite a few people have it on their TBR lists, and I'm sure there would be lots to discuss.

Great! And Kylie's just expressed her intress in thread the book in a later post, so maybe we could persuade her to join us as well :cool:

I have read the sequel but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much. It was written a long time after Pillars of the Earth, and I had such high hopes for it because I'd been waiting so long for it. Maybe my expectations were too high. I can't actually remember too much about it, but I don't think it was a strict sequel in that it followed the same characters. I think it may have been a sequel in that the earlier characters from Pillar of the Earth were briefly mentioned, but it was it's own separate story with new characters.

Ah, alright. Thanks for clearing that up for me! :) If I love PotE, I will try and remember to then lower my expectations for the 'sequel' :D

Hell's Bells, those Lists are amazing 

Happy New Year frankie 

Thanks Marie, I hope you have a fabulous year and reading year 2014! :D:friends3: 

I think reading your lists should count as reading a book.   It felt like it!

I wish you best of luck in 2014 and I hope you can tackle a good portion of your huge list of books!

Thanks Schultz :D It's not the first time someone's commented my lists being like a book in itself... :blush::D

Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold (Alan & Kay)

Does Kay know she is mentioned here?  :giggle: 

That thought crossed my mind too!  :giggle2:

Happy reading in 2014, my friend.  I am, as ever, in awe of your organisation.  :) 

That thought crossed my mind too!  :giggle2:

I don't know if poppyshake knows it's on my wishlist (although I think she does), but the worst is, Alan knows... :D It slipped when I was talking about some books on poppyshake's FB account ... :blush::D

Edit: I just realised Kylie probably meant me mentioning Kay in parenthesis as one of the persons who've recommended it... :D Well she didn't exactly recommend it, but I found out about it through her :D:giggle2:

Happy reading in 2014, my friend.  I am, as ever, in awe of your organisation.  :)

Thanks Jänet :) I hope you have a marvellous year :smile2:

Edited by frankie

I'm one of them: loved it as a child, and, having read some of the stories to my children at school in preparation for seeing a stage production last term, have found I still do. Language is typically Kiplingesque - rather formal and old fashioned, but the children were absolutely enthralled, as was I. The Kipling I don't get on with is The Just-So Stories which, even as a child, I found horribly twee and patronising.

Well, I've never read anything by Kipling so I'm trying to go in with an open mind :) (The Just So Stories are on my lists somewhere, too, I'm sure.)

FWIW, Alone in Berlin is fiction. It's based on a true story, but is still itself fiction. (Loathed it myself, but I know I'm in a very small minority, although I gather it's not regarded in Germany as the classic it is here).

Ah, my mistake! :)

That's a monumental TBR list Frankie. I'd find it way overpowering, as I wouldn't even begin to know how to start it (although the list of unread books on my shelves is probably a similar order of magnitude) but I'm sure you can handle it! However you tackle it, I hope you have a great year's reading.

I don't find my TBR overpowering, at least not anymore. It came down from last year's amount by at least 100 titles, so I'm getting a lot better at reducing mount TBR :) I dare you to go and catalogue all your books and see where it takes you! :D

And I'm going to keep up with last year's 'resolution': buy less, read more. I'm definitely getting my TBR down to 300s this year, that's for sure :smile2: If my mojo is willing, that is...

I hope you have a great reading year, too, willoyd! :)

Edited by frankie

Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold (Alan & Kay)

Does Kay know she is mentioned here?  :giggle: 

:D Alan is recommending that frankie DOES read it .. and I'm recommending that she DOESN'T .. I seem to be winning at the moment though I won't take offence if it goes the other way ;)  :D  

Ooh the Incredibly Tough Books for Extreme Readers list  :o .. that's a fearsome grizzly bear of a list!  :hide:  :D 

:D Alan is recommending that frankie DOES read it .. and I'm recommending that she DOESN'T .. I seem to be winning at the moment though I won't take offence if it goes the other way ;)  :D  

:D Unfortunately I haven't got a copy of the book and if I decide to buy a full price book this year, CBtD is not that high on the list... I have to be very choosy because I'm not going to go around spending my money on new books this year. So yes, at the moment you're winning :D

Ooh the Incredibly Tough Books for Extreme Readers list  :o .. that's a fearsome grizzly bear of a list!  :hide:  :D 

I'm not saying I'm going to read them all, but I find it a very intriguing list and want to keep checking it out every now and then... :)

I'm going to confess to acquiring two books already this year, and then I'm immediately going to get replying to Kylie's posts and hope that this post will be buried between all the other posts and nobody will notice :giggle:

I went to the library yesterday and took with me a load of books and put them in the free book trolley. I wasn't going to see if I could find anything in return, but bloody hell, someone had given up these old school girls' books :o I already had few of the books that were there. Or actually, they are my Mom's, but I've read them and really liked them. But there was one I've not read before so snatched it. It's from 1946! It was Eevan luokka by Mary Marck. I always thought she was a foreign author (because she has a foreign name) and the translator has just changed the locations and names to Finnish equivalents, but when I googled her yesterday, it turns out she was Finnish after all. :cool: I really should look into her other books, she was apparently a very prolific author, and used a bunch of pseudonyms. In fact, Mary Marck was one of the pseudonyms, her real name being Kersti Bergroth.

The other book was Diary of a Mad Housewife by Sue Kaufman. I'm positive I've had the book on my wishlist at some point... Probably even before I joined the forum. I was sure it would be on one of my lists, but it wasn't. But I'm not taking it back :giggle: Hopefully it's good!

Okay, replying to Kylie's posts now!

I was going to post a list of the books we both have on our TBR piles, but the list is so long that it's kind of pointless to post it! So instead, I've made a small list of the books we share that I would most like to read. Maybe if any of them match yours we could read them together at some point.

- Aaronovitch, Ben: Rivers of London
- Bachman, Richard: The Running Man
- Barres, Pamela des: I'm with the Band – Confessions of a Groupie (RG-B)
- Boyne, John: Mutiny on the Bounty
- Danielewski, Mark Z.: House of Leaves (1001)
- Dick, Philip K.: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (1001)
- Fry, Stephen: Moab Is My Washpot
- Maurier, Daphne du: Rebecca (1001, RG-B)
- Mencken, H. L.: A Mencken Chrestomathy (RG-b)
- Parker, Dorothy: The Portable Dorothy Parker (RG-b)
- Pratchett, Terry & Gaiman, Neil: Good Omens
- Semple, Maria: Where'd You Go, Bernadette?

Great choices! I'm very keen on all of them, although The Running Man isn't that high on my want-to-read list at the moment... I'd really like to try and read something with you, together! =) And I could go with any of those titles. Bobblybear and I were talking about possibly getting together to read House of Leaves... Because it's a bit intimidating, and we might be more comfortable if we had company. Would you be up for that?

Oh and I'm with the Band is the book that has been on my TBR the longest, so I think I should really tackle that one this year... And you know it's a Rory book! ;)

I wouldn't mind reading all of these one day:
- Acker, Kathy: Blood and Guts in High School (1001)
- Blixen, Karen: Out of Africa (1001, RG-B)
- Boccaccio, Giovanni: The Decameron
- Campbell, Jen: Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops
- Chopin, Kate: The Awakening (RG-b)
- Faulks, Sebastian: Faulks on Fiction
- Goethe, J. W. von: The Sorrows of Young Werther (1001, 501)
- Hemingway, Ernest: Death in the Afternoon
- Hotchner, A. E.: Papa Hemingway
- Hubbard, L. Ron: Scientology - The Fundamentals of Thought
- Hugo, Victor: The Hunchback of Notre-Dame (1001, RG-B)
- Hugo, Victor: Les Miserables (1001)
- Kafka, Franz: Letters to Felice
- Leroux, Gaston: The Phantom of the Opera
- Lindsay, Jeff: Double Dexter
- Lodge, David: The Art of Fiction
- McCaig, Donald: Rhett Butler's People
- Mitchell, David: Back Story
- Nevils & Hardy: Ignatius Rising
- Proust, Marcel: Remembrance of Things Past: 1 (1001)
- Steinbeck, John: Sweet Thursday
- Steinbeck, John: Travels with Charley
- Sartre, Jean-Paul: Nausea (1001)
- Stone, Irving: The Origin – A Biographical Novel of Charles Darwin
- Zafon, Carlos Ruiz: The Prisoner of Heaven
- Zafon, Carlos Ruiz: The Prince of Mist

So I'm guessing these are not on your TBR. Did you read Gone with the Wind when we did it as a group? I forget :blush:

These are the ones that I've read and enjoyed, with a * to show which ones I think you should read sooner rather than later.
- Bryson, Bill: Down Under*
- Bryson, Bill: Notes from a Small Island
- Bryson, Bill: A Short History of Nearly Everything
- Bulgakov, Mihail: The Master and Margharita (1001, RG-B)
- Calvino, Italo: If on a Winter's Night a Traveler (1001)*
- Clark, Marcus: For the Term of His Natural Life
- Collins, Suzanne: The Hunger Games
- Connolly, John: The Book of Lost Things*
- Dickens, Charles: Great Expectations (1001, RG-b)*
- Dostojevski, Fedor: Crime and Punishment (1001, RG-B)
- Duffy, Carol Ann: The Christmas Truce
- Fforde, Jasper: Lost in a Good Book #2
- Fforde, Jasper: The Well of Lost Plots #3
- Fforde, Jasper: Something Rotten # 4
- Fforde, Jasper: The Big Over Easy #1
- Flannery, Tim: The Explorers
- Gaarder, Jostein: Sophie's World
- Gruen, Sara: Water for Elephants
- Heller, Joseph: Catch-22 (1001, RG-B)*
- Hunt, Rebecca: Mr Chartwell
- Juster, Norton: The Phantom Tollbooth*
- Levitt, Steven D. & Dubner, Stephen J.: Freakonomics (RG-b)*
- Marsden, John: Tomorrow, When the War Began
- Marx, Groucho: Groucho and Me
- Mitchell, David: Cloud Atlas (1001)
- Moers, Walter: 13½ Lives of Captain Blue Bear
- Murakami, Haruki: South of the Border, West of the Sun
- Plath, Sylvia: The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath (RG-B)
- Rand, Ayn: Atlas Shrugged
- Thackeray, William Makepeace: Vanity Fair (1001, RG-B)
- Thompson, Hunter S.: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1001, RG-b)
- Tolkien, J.R.R: The Hobbit
- Tolkien, J.R.R: Lord of the Rings (1001, RG-B)
- Twain, Mark: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1001, RG-B)*
- Winton, Tim: Cloudstreet
- Wolfe, Tom: The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test (1001)
- Wyndham, John: The Day of the Triffids (1001, 501)
- Zusak, Markus: I Am The Messenger

Hehe I knew Phantom Tollbooth would be on this list, with a * :lol: I think from all the Bryson books, I should tackle Down Under first. I got a copy of it from this awesome person who has a great taste in books :cool: I really should get reading all my Aussie books!! Actually, I think I should really make a list of all my Aussie books and put it in the FTBC post. Yes, I will do that next! They could be a new challenge for me.

Oh, and when I was at the library yesterday, I was checking out the children's/YA books in Swedish section, and found the John Marsden book there. I read the title and it seemed oddly familiar, but it was so weird sounding because I've only heard about it in English... Threw me off for a bit!

A few random comments:
- Jakobsen, Mette: The Vanishing Act
I've read this but didn't particularly enjoy it, I'm afraid. However, Poppyshake loved it, as I recall, so there is still a good chance that you'll love it too!

I'm not sure why but I have a feeling I will like the book =) I'm still annoyed that I didn't manage to read it for the reading circle!

- Nin, Anaïs: The Diary of Anaïs Nin 1934-1939
- Nin, Anaïs: The Diary of Anaïs Nin 1944-1947
- Nin, Anaïs: The Diary of Anaïs Nin 1947-1955
- Nin, Anaïs: The Diary of Anaïs Nin 1955-1966
- Nin, Anaïs: The Diary of Anaïs Nin 1966-1974
Hmm. I have one volume of her diaries, and it seems to be the one volume you are missing!

I remember you told me you found one of the copies and that it was the one book that I was missing :D I think you even said you might send it to me but I told you not to, because all the others are in Finnish and it would be weird to have on English copy. I mean, thank you for the offer, but I think I will keep looking out for the Finnish copy =)  It'll match the set.

- Read, Mark Brandon: Chopper 4 (Aussie read)
I forgot you had one of these books. Did you know that Chopper Read died recently? Just a month or two ago.

Yeah I bought it from the book fair! =) I had no idea Chopper died =( I told ex about it, asking him if he'd known, and he didn't. So we googled him and here's what wiki said:

"In March 2008 he revealed he only had two to five years to live and required a liver transplant. However, he refused to agree to the procedure, stating that while a transplant would save him, he did not want one when an organ could be provided to someone else."

That's nice!

- Thurman, Judith: Secrets of the Flesh: A Life of Colette
Is this the one mentioned in Gilmore Girls? I was watching the episode last night where Rory and Lorelai go to Harvard and Rory asks Lorelai which book she wants to take. Lorelai answers something about the biography of Colette.

I think it's the one, yes.

Oh, I should have been sending you updates to FTBC's books during 2013! Here are the books they read in November and December 2013, so you can complete your list.

Oh but you really don't have to worry about it, it's my own challenge and I'm responsible for it... :D But thank you for being so kind. And thanks for the updates! I will have to edit my posts to include them. I did see you'd added The Smartest Kid on Earth to your GR account and wondered why that was. I'm happy they did The Cuckoo's Calling because at least that one I've read and I'm not only adding unread books to the list :D

Are you still watching the show religiously?

Hmm. I still have to revise my list, don't I? Especially since you've read nearly all of my recommended reads! I need to make it tougher for you.

No you really do not have to make it tougher for me :D My mojo is a barstard these days (yes, he's come back, but you never know... I have a feeling he's having an affair on the side and will go back to his lover soon enough... That barstard!) and I still have loads of books from your lists to read... So yes, you can revise, but nooooo, don't make it tougher :D

Thanks for doing all the work in posting both the original and updated recommended reads. It will make it easy for me to copy from you when I set up my own lists!

:D You so lazy. Tut tut! :P

I love all of your challenges.  If I was a faster reader and had more time, I think I'd take up all of those challenges myself (except maybe the Astrid Lindgren one—not that I have anything against her of course, but there are only a few of her books I want to read).

Funnily enough the Astrid Lindgren challenge is the one I'm most excited about! Hell, I wasn't at all looking forward to reading her Pippi books but really liked them! I've yet to come by a book by her that I haven't liked. And that's rare.

Do you own copies of the 501 Must-Read Books and Modern Library books?

No I don't. The Modern Library list I think I brazenly stole from poppyshake. And hm,.. I wonder if it was lauraloves who started the 501 Must Read Books craze :) I just copied their lists.

I wish I could comment on every individual challenge and the specific books within them, but it would take me the rest of the year, and I still need to set up my own lists! So I just have one more post to comment on (the biggest one of all): your wish list! Man, if you transferred all of the books on your wish list to your TBR pile, I think your TBR pile would finally be bigger than mine!

:D That's why it's a very good thing that I'm a poor student who can't afford books... Ha ha!

There is so much here to comment on! I've tried to restrain myself though. If I ever win lotto, I'm going to buy you all of the books on your wish list.  :friends3:

Don't! :D I'll have a TBR equivalent to the size of yours... Daunting! :D Instead, buy yourself a one way ticket to Finland... :giggle:

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (bree)

This is an absolutely lovely book. Highly recommended.

Damn. I was eyeing this book at the library yesterday, and almost picked it up and borrowed it!

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

I hated this with a passion. But a lot of people enjoy it, so...

:D Very encouraging words...

Red Dog by Louis de Bernieres (poppyshake. Watch the movie!)

The movie is terrific, and I bought the book recently. It's a very short book!

I really want this book. And I want to watch the movie. I wonder if the Lahti library has a copy...

A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets (chaliepud, ashleighjane, poppyshake)

I want to read this too. It sounds lovely. :)

I think this would be right up your alley!

Fiction:

These are all awesome books that I highly recommend:

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (chesilbeach)

Princess Bride by William Goldman

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Tales of Terror -books by Chris Priestley

The Town and the City by Jack Kerouac (Kylie, Rory Gilmore -thread)

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (Kylie)

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (BCF + poppyshake)

Winnie the Pooh

Hehe, not surprised to see The Town and the City on that list... I was eyeing a copy of The Road at the library yesterday, too. Almost borrowed it :D (But I already had 13 books to go, so left it behind...)

I've read the first bok in Tales of Terror series, and really liked it. I think I may have read it in Australia, actually... Did I give you the copy?

Cheri by Colette 

I think you have Gigi by her on your wishlist? I wonder why you went with Gigi and not Cheri, and I wonder why I went for Cheri and not Gigi :D

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith 

Did you find this on my wishlist?? Wohoo, I can cross that one off :D I read it last year! No, schit... It was The Casual Vacancy. Damn! :D

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen (Kylie, Rory)

I can't believe you haven't read it yet. You must get to it soon! And then tell me how you liked it, hehe!

Can't get the quote system working again :rolleyes: Have used BBCode and removed extra quotes at the end but it never comes right and when I got back to BBCode again, the stupid extra quotes are there again, at the bottom :rolleyes:

Kylie is blue,
frankie is read,
I will this post do,
before I go to bed.

What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge (poppyshake)
I got this and the sequel from the library, I really hope to get to it soon!

Dune by Frank Herbert (ex's enforcement)
My BF loves this book so much and is trying to get me to read it!

Maybe it's a conspiracy... Maybe we should both ignore them! LOL.

Lady Into the Fox by David Garnett (poppyshake)
I have ordered this—woohoo!

I read chesilbeach's review on this one just recently and found out it's not a new book at all! I thought it was, for some reason. I hope you like it :D Let me know!

The Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffenegger (BCF)
I recommend getting this from a library, if you can. It's a very short graphic novel, and it's reasonably good, but not really worth buying, I think.
Thanks for the tip!

Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut
Of Vonnegut's books, I've only read Slaughterhouse-5 and Timequake. I like the former but rather disliked the latter.

I'm not sure about this one anymore... I read some weird comments by Vonnegut and they put me off him.

Hiljaiset - Introverttien manifesti by Susan Cain
This is Quiet, right? Highly recommended.
Yep, that's the one! I couldn't remember the English title and I love the Finnish title, so didn't bother changing it into English. (The Finnish title would be 'The Quiet Ones - the Manifest of Introverts' in English)

The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson
I *will* read this book in 2014! It has been on my TBR pile way too long!
Let me know when you are going to get into this, maybe we could read it together!

The Man Who Gave the Beatles Away by Allan Williams

I read this quite a few years ago. It was a reasonably good book, as I recall.
So only reasonably good? Hm...

Rescuing Patty Hearst by Virginia Holman (Kylie, Rory)
I think you already know this, but I wasn't particularly impressed with this book. Still, it's on the Rory list, so you must read it! And hopefully you'll like it more than I did.
Yeah I remember. But I have lower expectations than you, because of your thoughts on it, so maybe I will get more out of it. I'm annoyed you didn't enjoy it as much as you would've wished too, though.

Australiana:
These two bring back such happy memories! :)
Parrot & Olivier in America by Peter Carey
Dead Man's Chest by Kerry Greenwood (Phryne Fisher -series)

Yeah they do :smile2: *huggles!*

Edit: Oh and thank you Kylie for you wonderful comments, I know they must've taken ages from you! :blush::flowers2:

Edited by frankie

Great lists and organisation Sari! You must have tonnes of documents keeping track of everything?`

Actually all my stuff is pretty much on here, and I just copy+paste stuff from previous reading logs :) I do keep a document on my computer of all the books I own. Whenever I acquire new titles, the first thing I do is add them to the document. Then I add them go Goodreads, and then to my lists on here.

Oh and I do keep a 'manual log' of books read :) Meaning, I have a notebook where I've recorded all the books I've read since 1999. I think if the house was on fire, that notebook would have to be one of the things I would have to try and save... :D *fingers crossed it never comes to that!*

Looking forward to your reviews, happy reading :)

Thanks, and I hope you have a great reading year, too! :)

The Vanishing Act - Mette Jakobsen

I'm not sure why but I have a feeling I will like the book =)

There's a dog in it .. so we're halfway there :D It's got toast in it too .. which I know is only a recommendation to me but still .. three mentions if I remember correctly  :blush2: I wasn't the only one to like it but quite a few people didn't  :blush2: 

There's a dog in it .. so we're halfway there :D It's got toast in it too .. which I know is only a recommendation to me but still .. three mentions if I remember correctly  :blush2: I wasn't the only one to like it but quite a few people didn't  :blush2: 

Well yeah, the dog, and toast... Who needs more? :giggle: And you liked it, so that's recommendation enough for me...! And yet I respect Kylie's opinions, too, we have similarish tastes, but she didn't say she disliked it, did she? No. So I'm inclined to like it, still :D

Of course, we will never know until I read it. Oh, maybe I should bump it up on TBR pile... There are so many books that deserve a bumping! :blush: And the 13 books borrowed from the library don't help. And the one I'm currently reading, and then next month's RC book... :D Luckily the library loans are all children's books, so they will be rather quick reads.

My cunning plan has worked... Nobody's noticed my post about my recently acquired books! :giggle: I should always just mention them in between tons of other posts... ! Cunning.

Edited by frankie

I don't find my TBR overpowering, at least not anymore. It came down from last year's amount by at least 100 titles, so I'm getting a lot better at reducing mount TBR :) I dare you to go and catalogue all your books and see where it takes you! :D

Impressive going!

I have catalogued them, or at least most of them, on LibraryThing - basically the TBR list would be all those unrated and without a Reference tag. But done like that, the long list of yet to be read books is tucked away a little bit, so I don't get too daunted. Too many years of accumulating and not keeping up with the reading.  I've sort of taken a selection of them instead for my Classics and Non-fiction challenge lists - trying to follow the principle of going for bite size portions to tackle the elephant!

And I'm going to keep up with last year's 'resolution': buy less, read more.

Good luck - I've decided I really have to do the same this year. Will try and follow the good example!

I hope you have a great reading year, too, willoyd! :)

Many thanks!

frankie wrote:  Thank you kindly, pontalba :D I'll come over as soon as I can find some really cheap tickets to the States! If I catalogue all your books and arrange them in the order you prefer, could you provide me with room and breakfast? :D And a bit of sightseeing guiding?

Three days to find The Secret History?? Hm... I think it would take me a year to rearrange your books and I don't think you'd want to put up with me for that long... :blush:

Room and cook your own breakfast.  :D   I am sooo not a breakfast person. :giggle2:

Every other day will be sightseeing, cruising down the Mississippi River, touring the French Quarter, or the Plantations along the river.  :crazy:

I bet it wouldn't take quite that long. :D

Edited by pontalba

I'm going to confess to acquiring two books already this year, and then I'm immediately going to get replying to Kylie's posts and hope that this post will be buried between all the other posts and nobody will notice :giggle:

Nice try, missy!! :giggle:

Congrats on your two new acquisitions. :readingtwo:

Actually all my stuff is pretty much on here, and I just copy+paste stuff from previous reading logs :) I do keep a document on my computer of all the books I own. Whenever I acquire new titles, the first thing I do is add them to the document. Then I add them go Goodreads, and then to my lists on here.

Oh and I do keep a 'manual log' of books read :) Meaning, I have a notebook where I've recorded all the books I've read since 1999. I think if the house was on fire, that notebook would have to be one of the things I would have to try and save... :D *fingers crossed it never comes to that!*

That would definitely want saving! It's a good idea :) My Wife created me a colour coded Excel document for all mine  :hide:

Frankie

I just remembered I had yet to stop in here to post this year. I think I came in earlier as you were assembling your lists, so waited til they were all finalized before stopping by. I'll echo everyone else's comments with WOW to your reading lists . What a huge pile of books !

Best of luck in the new year  .    :)

I have catalogued them, or at least most of them, on LibraryThing - basically the TBR list would be all those unrated and without a Reference tag. But done like that, the long list of yet to be read books is tucked away a little bit, so I don't get too daunted. Too many years of accumulating and not keeping up with the reading. I've sort of taken a selection of them instead for my Classics and Non-fiction challenge lists - trying to follow the principle of going for bite size portions to tackle the elephant!

I do like the idea of tackling the TBR in bite size portions... I think it gives you the feeling of being more in control. Clever! :D

Good luck with your Classics and Non-fiction challenges :) I did manage to read the amount of classics I had hoped to read in the beginning of last year (3 titles) but that was all, and it was a bit disappointing. I've been avoiding them classics for too darn long, me thinks.

Good luck - I've decided I really have to do the same this year. Will try and follow the good example!

Good luck to you, too! Chesilbeach's TBR 0 mission was very inspiring, she really made me think about my book buying ways. :)

I NOTICED!

Ooh! :(

:giggle: