Frankie reads 2014

frankie

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh my, you have so many books on your lists! Fabulous - must have taken ages to organise it all! :clapping:

A few comments on your TBR list:

Follett, Ken: The Pillars of the Earth : A firm favorite of mine. I've read it a couple of times, and really want to re-read it again.

I agree with bobblybear, 'Pillars of the Earth' is a great read. Don't be put off by the size it, this is well worth a read. I also saw on your TBR list that you have 'Vanity Fair', this is on my TBR list too.

Happy reading in 2014! :D

Hope you have a fabulous reading year in 2014, Sari!  I always look forward to coming into your thread to see what you've been up to.

Thanks chesilbeach! And I can say the same about your thread. I fell very behind with other people's reading logs a 'few' times last year, and had to catch up, and then I always felt odd because I never saw yours around anymore... Then I took a look and saw you hadn't posted in months! I've been meaning to ask you about it, but maybe you've already talked about it in said log... Because again, I'm very much behind!! :rolleyes: I'm hoping to do better next year. No spinning bubbles on FB, but reading books and staying very focused and getting back on track with forum commenting :cool: Yes sirree...

Oh and another thing. I've completely forgotten to say thank you for the beautiful Xmas card!! :flowers2:  I hope mine got to you safely =)

Oh my, you have so many books on your lists! Fabulous - must have taken ages to organise it all!

I have to say, most of it was copy+pasting. I've laid the ground work pretty well in the past few years so it's not too bad :giggle: But I did need to think about which challenges to keep, and I had to go over the TBR and wishlist and edit all the read and acquired book... That's my favorite part in setting up the thread :D It looks like I'm making headway again.. Although it's only deleting titles that have been crossed off, and not actually reducing actual TBR :lol:

A few comments on your TBR list:

Oh goody, comments! =) It's always nice to have people go through one's own TBR and recommend putting something on top of TBR pile or warn one about a title... !

Adiga, Aravind: The White Tiger : I read this last year (or maybe the year before) and really liked it. I wasn't sure it was going to be my kind of book, so I was very pleasantly surprised.

Quite sadly I'm not very sure about reading this one. I got it from the free book exchange trolley at the library, and snatched it like there was no tomorrow, but I've browsed the book after that and the book is wack! Some of the pages are in the wrong order, some pages are actually upside down... And some are oddly discolored :D I don't know what's happened to the poor book. I've been meaning to take pics and show you guys.

Although now I do feel sorry for it, and in a sympathetic way... Maybe I should keep it after all. Surely other people would throw it in the garbage!

Bryson, Bill: A Short History of Nearly Everything : This is a great read, both for learning new things and the humor in the way Bryson describes things. He gives a lot of attention to the people behind the science (and the various squabbles they have had), which is often as interesting as the science itself.

I've never read anything by him so far but I have a feeling I shall enjoy his books. And yep, all the extra info on the people and events behind the actual facts is something I'm usually interested in... People keep saying his books are great, and I'm inclined to think the same without having read one word he's written :D

Danielewski, Mark Z.: House of Leaves : I couldn't finish this, but at the same time I'm glad I bought it because it's so unique. I still plan on reading it one day, but it's the kind of book that I know will take me months to finish.

I wonder if more people own this book, and would like to venture on a group reading... Would that make it easier? Or would it only add to the pressure. I've leafed through it, and it's one of the most extraordinary books I've seen.

Follett, Ken: The Pillars of the Earth : A firm favorite of mine. I've read it a couple of times, and really want to re-read it again.

Have you read the sequel? I've heard it's a great book but the size is kind of daunting. I know I've owned the book for years now but have never picked it up to try and read it... Yikes!

Hall, Steven: The Raw Shark Texts: I didn't really enjoy this, but I liked the quirkiness of it. I can't actually remember too much about it, but I think it reminded me of House of Leaves.

This scares me for some reason. I don't know why. The book, I mean. Not your comment! LOL.

Levy, Andrea: Small Island : I've read this twice...it's a very good book, which likeable and interesting characters.

I tried starting this once but it didn't stick. But I'm pretty certain I wasn't in the right mood.

Banks, Iain: The Crow Road : I bought this a few months ago...heard many good things about it. It's one that I hope to read in 2014.

Well, you will probably get to it sooner than I, so I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on it! :D

Thanks chesilbeach! And I can say the same about your thread. I fell very behind with other people's reading logs a 'few' times last year, and had to catch up, and then I always felt odd because I never saw yours around anymore... Then I took a look and saw you hadn't posted in months! I've been meaning to ask you about it, but maybe you've already talked about it in said log... Because again, I'm very much behind!! :rolleyes: I'm hoping to do better next year. No spinning bubbles on FB, but reading books and staying very focused and getting back on track with forum commenting :cool: Yes sirree...

I run my own fan website for the BBC series Strictly Come Dancing which runs from October to Christmas, so a lot of my time was taken up with that, along with normal work (which itself has been a bit hectic of late), and my reading thread took a back seat. Although I was reading, I was often falling asleep when reading and ended up just picking easy reads that I didn't feel a burning desire to review, so I never got around to keeping my book thread up to date. However, with some time off work over Christmas, and the television series having finished, I'm easing myself back into proper reading mode, although OH bought me three children's/YA books for Christmas so it's been a very easy easing back in! Just done my 2014 thread today, but I intend to try harder to read something with a bit more depth next year. :smile2:

Oh and another thing. I've completely forgotten to say thank you for the beautiful Xmas card!! :flowers2:  I hope mine got to you safely =)

You're welcome! Yours did indeed arrive safely, and sits beautifully on the bookshelves which house my Christmas cards, so thank you to you too. :)

Your thread is always inspirational, Frankie! I hope you have a great reading year in 2014.

Thanks Athena! =) I'm looking forward to checking out your new log, I know you've been excited about setting it up! :D I haven't yet had time to look at any one else's, but I'm just about to go and see what everyone else is up to!

Wow wow wow! What amazing detailed lists! Happy reading

Thanks Laura, and the same to you! :smile2:

Happy reading in 2014, Sari 

Thanks Steve =D

Some brilliant books on there !

I love the Jasper Fforde books, so I`m happy to see those especially.

I still miss the Gilmore Girls *sniff*.

Happy Reading in 2014 !

I've only read the first Thursday Next book so far, and I haven't even started the other series, so I have a lot of Fforde books to read, which I'm very happy about. I loved The Eyre Affair! :smile2:

Ah yes, the Gilmore Girls... Sigh. I wish they'd make more... Although maybe Rory could go back to Stars Hollow and start dating some nice guys, and forget about the stupid ones... :giggle:

I'd really love to know what Lorelai is up to these days! =D With a certain you-know-who :wub:

I agree with bobblybear, 'Pillars of the Earth' is a great read. Don't be put off by the size it, this is well worth a read.

I know I shouldn't be put off by the size, but I am :blush: I've been fearing all them doorstoppers on my TBR for a long time... Especially now that my mojo's been so unreliable for so long. But maybe 2014 will be the year of the doorstoppers! =D

I also saw on your TBR list that you have 'Vanity Fair', this is on my TBR list too.

I'm really sad I was busy at the time when it was a reading circle book, I would've loved to have read it then and discuss it with others.

You know, my copy was such an old one, that it came apart in pieces... I had to save the cover, because it was gorgeous! And I saved all the pages, too, but they are now loose pages... :D:blush: Honestly, it wasn't my fault! It was a very old copy.

Happy reading in 2014!

And the very same to you! :smile2:

I'm really sad I was busy at the time when it was a reading circle book, I would've loved to have read it then and discuss it with others.

You know, my copy was such an old one, that it came apart in pieces... I had to save the cover, because it was gorgeous! And I saved all the pages, too, but they are now loose pages... :D:blush: Honestly, it wasn't my fault! It was a very old copy.

I started reading a few months ago, but I couldn't get into this book, partly to do with the fact that I haven't had time to sit for a decent amount of time, to read. Hopefully I will be able to give this another go in 2014. It's a shame that your copy fell apart, hopefully it can be salvaged.

I run my own fan website for the BBC series Strictly Come Dancing which runs from October to Christmas, so a lot of my time was taken up with that, along with normal work (which itself has been a bit hectic of late), and my reading thread took a back seat. Although I was reading, I was often falling asleep when reading and ended up just picking easy reads that I didn't feel a burning desire to review, so I never got around to keeping my book thread up to date. However, with some time off work over Christmas, and the television series having finished, I'm easing myself back into proper reading mode, although OH bought me three children's/YA books for Christmas so it's been a very easy easing back in! Just done my 2014 thread today, but I intend to try harder to read something with a bit more depth next year. :smile2:

Kay did mention that you were running your website for the series so I did wonder if it had something to do with it :D I'm very happy that it was that and your hectic work period that was keeping you busy, and nothing of a more negative nature. Phew :)

Good to know you'll be getting back on track! I know I've been crappy with keeping up with other people's logs and haven't commented as much as I have wanted, but it was always odd not seeing your thread in the 'view new content' section. It was like the forum was out of balance :D

Here's hoping for efficient yet very enjoyable book logging in 2014 :friends3:

You're welcome! Yours did indeed arrive safely, and sits beautifully on the bookshelves which house my Christmas cards, so thank you to you too. :)

Good to hear, I'm happy it didn't go AWOL like my mojo :D

I started reading a few months ago, but I couldn't get into this book, partly to do with the fact that I haven't had time to sit for a decent amount of time, to read. Hopefully I will be able to give this another go in 2014. It's a shame that your copy fell apart, hopefully it can be salvaged.

Yeah, let's hope you have more time next year. It is quite a thick book so it's not best read in little snippets here and there. I think it's supposed to be a pretty good book :)

My loose copy will be alright as long as I find something to keep it in... A box of some sort. I can't have the loose pages sitting around in the closet for too long, I know how windy it gets in closets and the pages might go rumbling about :D And I certainly must think of something before my eventual move to another town...

Happy Reading in 2014 Sari!  :hug:

I'm very glad you're open for business now as this is one of my very favourite places to be on the whole of the internet and I've been pacing up and down outside  :D You're bound to read all sorts of fantastic books .. and I'll be wanting them all .. but I'll just have to get some willpower from somewhere  :blush2: 

Have already bagged myself a comfy chair and am hoping for a Karelian pie  :smile: 

Wishing you all the best in 2014 my lovely xx  :friends0:

Hi Frankie

Happy 2014! You've got so many lists I now want to steal! I'm doing 1001 (up to 39 books read now from 12 two years ago!) and the English Counties Challenge. I also have a Rory Book list somewhere but I might update it and amalgamate all the lists into one massive Rory list.

Had to butcher some emoticons again...

Happy Reading in 2014 Sari!

Thank you my lovely, and the very same to you and Mr poppyshake as well! =)

I'm very glad you're open for business now as this is one of my very favourite places to be on the whole of the internet and I've been pacing up and down outside  :D You're bound to read all sorts of fantastic books .. and I'll be wanting them all .. but I'll just have to get some willpower from somewhere 

Have already bagged myself a comfy chair and am hoping for a Karelian pie

When I saw everyone else started doing their threads, I felt this massive panic attack, thinking, do I need to do one already, too?! =D So I didn't even dare going in anyone else's thread, because I felt the pressure... :hide:  =D

It took me all my willpower to sit myself down on a chair today and get it all done. But then I told myself, this is supposed to be fun, this is not a chore... Put on some good tunes, and voila! It was mostly copy+pasting anyways... Haaaa!

I saved you a couch, a bean bag, and a chair at the balcony. Although maybe you won't need that latter one just yet... It's been unseasonably warm over here, but probably not warm enough to keep you cosy outside... =D

Wishing you all the best in 2014 my lovely xx

Karelian pie it is... *starts baking* Oi... I've never done these before, I can't have you guinea pigging these! :blush:

Hi Frankie

Happy 2014! You've got so many lists I now want to steal! I'm doing 1001 (up to 39 books read now from 12 two years ago!) and the English Counties Challenge. I also have a Rory Book list somewhere but I might update it and amalgamate all the lists into one massive Rory list.

Steal away :D Good job on the 1001 challenge, I hope you find some great books on the list to read next year. Looking forward to catching up on your latest challenge read in the 1001 thread, as always =)

I've thought about getting all the three Rory lists together, too, but it's just too much work for me! I've done so many lists that I just can't bring myself to do that one... Haha! And I like it that I have them in different posts, because that allows me to have three GG related pics on the first page of my thread :giggle:

Happy Reading in 2014! :smile:

We are in sync! I was just in your log, wishing you the same :D

Edited by frankie

I. Am. Overcome.  Really.  Really!

Beautiful organization, Sari.  Just beautiful. 

Beyond me, for sure.  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When are you going to come and organize us

It took me three days, at least, to find The Secret History.  That is just wrong. :blush2:  :giggle2:  :doh:  :lurker:

:boogie: Yay! Frankie's new lists!!  :boogie:

There is so much to comment on that I'll have to do it post by post (so I should be done by the end of 2014 :P).

But for the moment, I want to wish you the very best reading year ever, my dear.  :friends3:

By the way, I have a list of all of the Rory books which I painstakingly put together from the various lists floating around. I can send it to you and Alexi if you both want it. I'm not sure that it's in easy format to copy into the forum (it's in an Excel spreadsheet) but I think it could be done if it's copied into a text file first.

:boogie: Yay! Frankie's new lists!!  :boogie:

There is so much to comment on that I'll have to do it post by post (so I should be done by the end of 2014 :P).

But for the moment, I want to wish you the very best reading year ever, my dear.  :friends3:

By the way, I have a list of all of the Rory books which I painstakingly put together from the various lists floating around. I can send it to you and Alexi if you both want it. I'm not sure that it's in easy format to copy into the forum (it's in an Excel spreadsheet) but I think it could be done if it's copied into a text file first.

If you don't mind, that would be absolutely fantastic!

Quite sadly I'm not very sure about reading this one. I got it from the free book exchange trolley at the library, and snatched it like there was no tomorrow, but I've browsed the book after that and the book is wack! Some of the pages are in the wrong order, some pages are actually upside down... And some are oddly discolored :D I don't know what's happened to the poor book. I've been meaning to take pics and show you guys.

Oh dear! Something must have gone very wrong at the printing press. You'd think they would destroy all those copies instead of releasing them. Maybe it will make the book more interesting to read?? Could be like an extra challenge for you? :lol:

I wonder if more people own this book, and would like to venture on a group reading... Would that make it easier? Or would it only add to the pressure. I've leafed through it, and it's one of the most extraordinary books I've seen.

Ooh, I like that idea! Quite a few people have it on their TBR lists, and I'm sure there would be lots to discuss.

Have you read the sequel? I've heard it's a great book but the size is kind of daunting. I know I've owned the book for years now but have never picked it up to try and read it... Yikes!

I have read the sequel but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much. It was written a long time after Pillars of the Earth, and I had such high hopes for it because I'd been waiting so long for it. Maybe my expectations were too high. I can't actually remember too much about it, but I don't think it was a strict sequel in that it followed the same characters. I think it may have been a sequel in that the earlier characters from Pillar of the Earth were briefly mentioned, but it was it's own separate story with new characters.

I think reading your lists should count as reading a book.   :giggle2: It felt like it!

I wish you best of luck in 2014 and I hope you can tackle a good portion of your huge list of books! :)

Here are my comments (sort of) on your TBR pile.

I was going to post a list of the books we both have on our TBR piles, but the list is so long that it's kind of pointless to post it! So instead, I've made a small list of the books we share that I would most like to read. Maybe if any of them match yours we could read them together at some point. :)

- Aaronovitch, Ben: Rivers of London
- Bachman, Richard: The Running Man
- Barres, Pamela des: I'm with the Band – Confessions of a Groupie (RG-B)
- Boyne, John: Mutiny on the Bounty
- Danielewski, Mark Z.: House of Leaves (1001)
- Dick, Philip K.: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (1001)
- Fry, Stephen: Moab Is My Washpot
- Maurier, Daphne du: Rebecca (1001, RG-B)
- Mencken, H. L.: A Mencken Chrestomathy (RG-b)
- Parker, Dorothy: The Portable Dorothy Parker (RG-b)
- Pratchett, Terry & Gaiman, Neil: Good Omens
- Semple, Maria: Where'd You Go, Bernadette?

I wouldn't mind reading all of these one day:
- Acker, Kathy: Blood and Guts in High School (1001)
- Blixen, Karen: Out of Africa (1001, RG-B)
- Boccaccio, Giovanni: The Decameron
- Campbell, Jen: Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops
- Chopin, Kate: The Awakening (RG-b)
- Faulks, Sebastian: Faulks on Fiction
- Goethe, J. W. von: The Sorrows of Young Werther (1001, 501)
- Hemingway, Ernest: Death in the Afternoon
- Hotchner, A. E.: Papa Hemingway
- Hubbard, L. Ron: Scientology - The Fundamentals of Thought
- Hugo, Victor: The Hunchback of Notre-Dame (1001, RG-B)
- Hugo, Victor: Les Miserables (1001)
- Kafka, Franz: Letters to Felice
- Leroux, Gaston: The Phantom of the Opera
- Lindsay, Jeff: Double Dexter
- Lodge, David: The Art of Fiction
- McCaig, Donald: Rhett Butler's People
- Mitchell, David: Back Story
- Nevils & Hardy: Ignatius Rising
- Proust, Marcel: Remembrance of Things Past: 1 (1001)
- Steinbeck, John: Sweet Thursday
- Steinbeck, John: Travels with Charley
- Sartre, Jean-Paul: Nausea (1001)
- Stone, Irving: The Origin – A Biographical Novel of Charles Darwin
- Zafon, Carlos Ruiz: The Prisoner of Heaven
- Zafon, Carlos Ruiz: The Prince of Mist

These are the ones that I've read and enjoyed, with a * to show which ones I think you should read sooner rather than later. :)
- Bryson, Bill: Down Under*
- Bryson, Bill: Notes from a Small Island
- Bryson, Bill: A Short History of Nearly Everything
- Bulgakov, Mihail: The Master and Margharita (1001, RG-B)
- Calvino, Italo: If on a Winter's Night a Traveler (1001)*
- Clark, Marcus: For the Term of His Natural Life
- Collins, Suzanne: The Hunger Games
- Connolly, John: The Book of Lost Things*
- Dickens, Charles: Great Expectations (1001, RG-b)*
- Dostojevski, Fedor: Crime and Punishment (1001, RG-B)
- Duffy, Carol Ann: The Christmas Truce
- Fforde, Jasper: Lost in a Good Book #2
- Fforde, Jasper: The Well of Lost Plots #3
- Fforde, Jasper: Something Rotten # 4
- Fforde, Jasper: The Big Over Easy #1
- Flannery, Tim: The Explorers
- Gaarder, Jostein: Sophie's World
- Gruen, Sara: Water for Elephants
- Heller, Joseph: Catch-22 (1001, RG-B)*
- Hunt, Rebecca: Mr Chartwell
- Juster, Norton: The Phantom Tollbooth*
- Levitt, Steven D. & Dubner, Stephen J.: Freakonomics (RG-b)*
- Marsden, John: Tomorrow, When the War Began
- Marx, Groucho: Groucho and Me
- Mitchell, David: Cloud Atlas (1001)
- Moers, Walter: 13½ Lives of Captain Blue Bear
- Murakami, Haruki: South of the Border, West of the Sun
- Plath, Sylvia: The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath (RG-B)
- Rand, Ayn: Atlas Shrugged
- Thackeray, William Makepeace: Vanity Fair (1001, RG-B)
- Thompson, Hunter S.: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1001, RG-b)
- Tolkien, J.R.R: The Hobbit
- Tolkien, J.R.R: Lord of the Rings (1001, RG-B)
- Twain, Mark: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1001, RG-B)*
- Winton, Tim: Cloudstreet
- Wolfe, Tom: The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test (1001)
- Wyndham, John: The Day of the Triffids (1001, 501)
- Zusak, Markus: I Am The Messenger

A few random comments:

- Jakobsen, Mette: The Vanishing Act
I've read this but didn't particularly enjoy it, I'm afraid. However, Poppyshake loved it, as I recall, so there is still a good chance that you'll love it too!

- Nin, Anaïs: The Diary of Anaïs Nin 1934-1939
- Nin, Anaïs: The Diary of Anaïs Nin 1944-1947
- Nin, Anaïs: The Diary of Anaïs Nin 1947-1955
- Nin, Anaïs: The Diary of Anaïs Nin 1955-1966
- Nin, Anaïs: The Diary of Anaïs Nin 1966-1974
Hmm. I have one volume of her diaries, and it seems to be the one volume you are missing!

- Read, Mark Brandon: Chopper 4 (Aussie read)
I forgot you had one of these books. Did you know that Chopper Read died recently? Just a month or two ago.

- Thurman, Judith: Secrets of the Flesh: A Life of Colette
Is this the one mentioned in Gilmore Girls? I was watching the episode last night where Rory and Lorelai go to Harvard and Rory asks Lorelai which book she wants to take. Lorelai answers something about the biography of Colette.

First Tuesday Book Club challenge:

Oh, I should have been sending you updates to FTBC's books during 2013! :( Here are the books they read in November and December 2013, so you can complete your list.

November

Chris Ware Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth

Richard Flanagan The Narrow Road to the Deep North

December

Robert Galbraith/JK Rowling The Cuckoo's Calling

Hunter S Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

When the show starts up again in March 2014, they'll be reading:

Chandler Burr The Perfect Scent

Stephen King Dr Sleep

These are ~ top read ~ challenge lists by certain members off the forum:

~~ Kylie Challenge! ~~

Hmm. I still have to revise my list, don't I? Especially since you've read nearly all of my recommended reads! I need to make it tougher for you. :P

Thanks for doing all the work in posting both the original and updated recommended reads. It will make it easy for me to copy from you when I set up my own lists! :P  :giggle:

I love all of your challenges. :) If I was a faster reader and had more time, I think I'd take up all of those challenges myself (except maybe the Astrid Lindgren one—not that I have anything against her of course, but there are only a few of her books I want to read).

Do you own copies of the 501 Must-Read Books and Modern Library books?

I wish I could comment on every individual challenge and the specific books within them, but it would take me the rest of the year, and I still need to set up my own lists! So I just have one more post to comment on (the biggest one of all): your wish list! Man, if you transferred all of the books on your wish list to your TBR pile, I think your TBR pile would finally be bigger than mine! :D

There is so much here to comment on! I've tried to restrain myself though. If I ever win lotto, I'm going to buy you all of the books on your wish list.  :friends3:

~ WISHLIST ~

Books on Dogs & Other Animals

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (bree)
This is an absolutely lovely book. Highly recommended.

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
I hated this with a passion. But a lot of people enjoy it, so...

Red Dog by Louis de Bernieres (poppyshake. Watch the movie!)
The movie is terrific, and I bought the book recently. It's a very short book!

A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets (chaliepud, ashleighjane, poppyshake)
I want to read this too. It sounds lovely. :)

Fiction:

These are all awesome books that I highly recommend:
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (chesilbeach)
Princess Bride by William Goldman
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Tales of Terror -books by Chris Priestley
The Town and the City by Jack Kerouac (Kylie, Rory Gilmore -thread)
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (Kylie)
We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (BCF + poppyshake)
Winnie the Pooh

I really want to read all of these! (Some I already have on TBR; others are on my wish list.)

Bellman & Black by Diane Setterfield (BCF)
The Borrowers by Mary Norton (lauraloves)
Bridge of Clay by Markus Zusak
Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel
Brontës Went to Woolworths by Rachel Ferguson (poppyshake)
Cakes and Ale by William Somerset Maugham (willoyd)

Cheri by Colette 
Child of God by Cormac McCarthy (cult book)
The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt (Pixie +) 

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith 
Dark Reading Matter by Jasper Fforde
Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris
Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh (poppyshake) 
The Diary of a Provincial Lady by EM Delafield (Kylie bought it, chesilbeach recommended it)
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Charm) 
Don Quijote by Miguel de Cervantes
The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley

The Dot and the Line by Norton Juster (Kylie)
Dracula the Un-Dead by Dacre Stoker (BCF) 

Flow My Tears by Philip K. Dick (Orgone) 
Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen (Kylie, Rory)
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (poppyshake)
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn   (link to the article on The Book Forum, provided by pontalba)
Grace Williams Says It Loud by Emma Henderson (Weave (poppyshake loved it))
How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu (kirj) 
Hyperion by Dan Simmons (ex's enforcement)
If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon McGregor
In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson
Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Braddon (SueK, ian)
The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula Le Guin (Griggs, Jane Austen Book Club) 
Laughter in the Dark by Vladimir Nabokov (pontalba, regarding Fitzek's Splinter)
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin (Griggs, Jane Austen Book Club)
Life: A User's Manual by Georges Perec 
The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Steadman (chaliepud. Aussie read) 
The Little White Car by Dan Rhodes (poppyshake) 
Luminaries by Eleanor Catton (BCF) 
The Man Who Loved Children by Christina Stead (ethan's 2010 reading blog, FTBC)
Mapp and Lucia by E. F. Benson (chesilbeach)
A Matter of Life and Death by Andrey Kurkov

Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett (pickle, "which introduces the characters")
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson
The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein 
The Moving Toyshop by Edmund Crispin (poppyshake)
Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (chesilbeach)

Newes from the Dead by Mary Hooper (poppyshake. based on a true story)
A New Life by Bernard Malamud
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (poppyshake) 
The Night Watch by Terry Pratchett (pickle, "is good but you do have to have read the others")
The Original of Laura by Vladimir Nabokov 

The Pearl by John Steinbeck (chesilbeach)
The Penultimate Truth by Philip K. Dick (BCF)
Pigeon English by Stephen Kellman (poppyshake)
Possession by A. S. Byatt (this edition) (Ooshie)

The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford (poppyshake) 
The Real Life of Sebastian Knight by Vladimir Nabokov (pontalba, regarding Fitzek's Splinter) 
The Red House by Mark Haddon
Return of Shandar by Jasper Fforde
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (poppyshake)
The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes (Ansku + Riikka) 
The Shrinking Man by Richard Matheson (Timstar)
Skippy Dies by Paul Murray 
Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl
Started Early Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson (poppyshake)
A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams (pontalba) 
Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky (poppyshake) 
The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obrecht (Riikka) 
A Touch of Dead by Charlaine Harris 
Ubik by Philip K. Dick (Orgone 'hauska, nopeatempoinen')
The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera (Brian.)
The Watcher in the Shadows by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
The Well of Loneliness by Marguerite Radclyffe Hall (from Virginia Woolf
What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge (poppyshake) 
A Void by Georges Perec
Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel (BCF) 
Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon 
Wool by Hugh Howey (ex)
World War Z by Max Brooks (bobblybear, pontalba) 

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume (from Freaks & Geeks) 

I've read this, although I don't remember much of it at all. I think it's one of those books that you enjoy more if you read it as a teen.

Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold (Alan & Kay)
Does Kay know she is mentioned here?  :giggle: 

Dune by Frank Herbert (ex's enforcement)
My BF loves this book so much and is trying to get me to read it!

Lady Into the Fox by David Garnett (poppyshake)
I have ordered this—woohoo!

Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby
I got this recently. It sounds terrific!

The Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffenegger (BCF)
I recommend getting this from a library, if you can. It's a very short graphic novel, and it's reasonably good, but not really worth buying, I think.

Penguin Lost by Andrei Kurkov
I want this badly!

Save Me the Waltz by Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald
I'm intrigued to read a book by F Scott's wife!

Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut 
Of Vonnegut's books, I've only read Slaughterhouse-5 and Timequake. I like the former but rather disliked the latter.

Non-Fiction
I'd love to read all of these. I didn't know until now that Fellini had written a book! I also hadn't heard of the Aleister Crowley one, so that will go on my wish list too.

Alone in Berlin by Hans Allada (Karsa Orlong)
At Home by Bill Bryson
Bad Girls and Wicked Women: The Most Powerful, Shocking, Amazing, Thrilling and Dangerous Women of All Time by Jan Stradling

Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape by Jenna Miscavige Hill (Julie)
The Book of Dreams by Federico Fellini (goodreads trivia)

The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels (Kylie + own interest)
The Consolations of Philosophy by Alain de Botton (Marie H)
Diary of a Drug Fiend by Alesteir Crowley (kalossi + grey-mind)

Essays in Love by Alain de Botton (Marie H)
Hell's Angels by Hunter S. Thompson (Kylie) 

LSD: My Problem Child by Albert Hoffman (EK-AAT inspired)

Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel
The Secret Diaries of Miss Anne Lister by Anne Lister
Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife by Mary Roach (Kylie)
Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (Tanjan ilosaarirock-kaveri)
To Sir With Love by ER Braithewaite (almost March RC book)
Undercover Economist by Tim Harford (Tanjan ilosaarirock-kaveri)

Hiljaiset - Introverttien manifesti by Susan Cain 

This is Quiet, right? Highly recommended.

The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson

I *will* read this book in 2014! It has been on my TBR pile way too long!

The Man Who Gave the Beatles Away by Allan Williams

I read this quite a few years ago. It was a reasonably good book, as I recall.

Rescuing Patty Hearst by Virginia Holman (Kylie, Rory)

I think you already know this, but I wasn't particularly impressed with this book. Still, it's on the Rory list, so you must read it! And hopefully you'll like it more than I did.

True Crime, Psychology Books
I'd love to read all of these too. Especially The Faber Book of Madness! I've looked for it online a few times, but it looks like it's hard to get hold of. :(

Broadmoor Revealed: Victorian Crime and the Lunatic Asylum by Mark Stevens (Jänet)
The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson (RG-b)
The Faber Book of Madness edited by Roy Porter (wordsgood)
Let Me Take You Down: Inside the Mind of Mark David Chapman,the Man Who Killed John Lennon
The Men that God Forgot by Richard Butler (Kylie. For the Natural Term of His Life)

The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry by Jon Ronson (poppyshake, Kylie)
Thunderstruck by Erik Larson
Voluntary Madness: My Year Lost and Found in the Loony Bin by Norah Vincent

Non-Fiction: Books on Books (Authors, Libraries, Bios)

Ooh. These all sound great! Must add to my own wish list. :)
The Anatomy of Bibliomania
by Holbrook Johnson

Looking Back: A Book of Memories by Lois Lowry
Lost Classics: Writers on Books Loved and Lost, Overlooked, Under-read, Unavailabe, Stolen... by Michael Ondaatje (editor)

The Mermaid Man: The Autobiography of Hans Christian Andersen
My Father as I Recall Him by Mamie Dickens (poppyshake)
A Religious Orgy in Tennessee: A Reporter's Account of the Scopes Monkey Trial by H. L. Mencken

Australiana:
These two bring back such happy memories! :)
Parrot & Olivier in America by Peter Carey
Dead Man's Chest by Kerry Greenwood (Phryne Fisher -series)