Frankie reads 2014

frankie

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, you read a lot of books last year frankie!!  Some great reviews there.  :readingtwo:  :smile:  I like the look of Hate List, think I'll pop it on my wish list.. Not that I'm buying any book this year of course!  :giggle2:

Thanks chalie! And good to see you around!  :friends3:  Yep, I managed to read a whole bunch of books, even though I lost my mojo for a while during the summer. My laptop breaking down in November gave me loads of time to make up for it, though :D But I also have to say that a lot of the books I read were 'easy' to read. I think I only read a few classics. And I didn't read a lot of those more difficult, brain capacity consuming books, you know :D I'd like to do more of those this year. That is, if my mojo allows me to! 

I hope you like Hate List! :smile2: I just googled it to see something and yes, it's actually a debut! Where do all these wonderful debuts come from? How can some people deliver such greatness on their first go? Mind boggles :D 

#90. Hector And the Search for Happiness by Francois Lelord 

From Amazon“Once upon a time there was a young psychiatrist called Hector who was not very satisfied with himself. . . . And so he decided to take a trip around the world, and everywhere he went he would try to understand what made people happy or unhappy.”

Hector travels from Paris to China to Africa to the United States, and along the way he keeps a list of observations about the people he meets. Combining the winsome appeal of The Little Prince with the inspiring philosophy of The Alchemist, Hector’s journey around the world and into the human soul is entertaining, empowering, and smile-inducing—as winning in its optimism as it is wise in its simplicity.

Thoughts: This was a darling little book. I say little, because it was rather short, and because there was a certain simplicity to it. I liked Hector's list, and it made me think about what makes me happy, and what makes other people happy. I want to read the sequel. :) 

3/5

#92. The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud 

From AmazonNora Eldridge is a reliable, but unremarkable, friend and neighbor, always on the fringe of other people’s achievements. But the arrival of the Shahid family—dashing Skandar, a Lebanese scholar, glamorous Sirena, an Italian artist, and their son, Reza—draws her into a complex and exciting new world. Nora’s happiness pushes her beyond her boundaries, until Sirena’s careless ambition leads to a shattering betrayal. Told with urgency, intimacy, and piercing emotion, this New York Times bestselling novel is the riveting confession of a woman awakened, transformed, and abandoned by a desire for a world beyond her own.

Thoughts: This book had such promise! It started out great, with a very captivating rant. And then we learn more about the protagonist, and witness her meeting the Shahids, who all seem so interesting and captivating. So full of life and wonder. And just when it's going to so well, I'm already half way through the book. And then all things come to a halt: nothing really happens. And I read on, and read on, until I thought nothing was going to happen and it was a great waste of my time. In the last 10 or so pages that great big something happens. It was big. But it was so late! A real shame. 

If you don't mind hanging on til your brain goes numb, and don't mind getting to the really good stuff until right at the end, then please give the book a go! :) 

2/5

It seems like all I've done yesterday evening and today is write these stupid reviews and I still have more than 10 left to write :thud::rolleyes: It's like a neverending task! Even if I've been doing really mini ones this time. Bleh.... 

:lol: I'm about 5 reviews behind, and I'm really struggling with them. I have drafts of them, but they just don't sounds right! :roll:

Agree with what you said about The Snow Child. While it was a nice, pleasant read there was something missing and it ended up being a rather ordinary story.

Until You're Mine sounds good. I must have read some positive comments about it before, because it's already on my Amazon wishlist.

#93. Looking for Alaska by John Green 

From AmazonBefore. Miles “Pudge” Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave “the Great Perhaps” even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . .

After. Nothing is ever the same.

Thoughts: Like I've said somewhere before, I have had this book mixed up with Into the Wild for so long and because that book (or the idea of it, I haven't actually read it) makes me sad, I wasn't keen on reading this, even though it was on my wishlist. When I went to the library in Nurmes to borrow something to read over the holidays, I bumped into the Finnish copy and thought I might as well give it a go, because now I don't have to reserve it, the book being rather popular and always circulating. 

I didn't know what the book would be about, I only knew that the events would be taking place at some school and a dorm. Which is probably why I'd put the book on my wishlist. I just started reading with no expectation. And got sucked right in :smile2: It was verrrry good! I think I read this one in a day, too, just like Fangirl. Unputdownable. 

The one thing that I cannot shake off. Or rather would like to ask the people who've read the book:

Did any of you like Alaska as a character? :shrug:

4/5

:lol: I'm about 5 reviews behind, and I'm really struggling with them. I have drafts of them, but they just don't sounds right! :roll:

Don't you just hate being behind with your reviews? :rolleyes: Worst feeling ever :D At the moment I'm not bothered by how my reviews sound like, I just wanted them over and done with! :blush:

I'm sure your reviews will be just great, and you just have a writer's block or a case of wanting to write absolutely perfect reviews. Don't be shy :D

Agree with what you said about The Snow Child. While it was a nice, pleasant read there was something missing and it ended up being a rather ordinary story.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! And well said: at the end it kinda fell flat and didn't seem like such an extraordinary story after all. :shrug:

Until You're Mine sounds good. I must have read some positive comments about it before, because it's already on my Amazon wishlist.

You can probably blame Michelle and/or Inver for that :D This place rocks!

Oh man, oh man, only three more reviews and I'll be done :exc: I'll stop polluting the 'view new content' with my reading log popping up every five minutes :blush::lol: What a relief!!

#95. The Man in My Basement by Walter Mosley 

From AmazonCharles Blakey is a young black man whose life is slowly crumbling. His parents are dead, he can't find a job, he drinks too much, and his friends have begun to desert him. Worst of all, he's fallen behind on the mortgage payments for the beautiful home that's belonged to his family for generations. When a stranger offers him $50,000 in cash to rent out his basement for the summer, Charles needs the money too badly to say no. He knows that the stranger must want something more than a basement view. [...]

Thoughts: This book ended on my wishlist when I saw a copy of it in Australia when I was living with Kylie. I knew of Walter Mosley and the name of the book drew me in. I thought the blurb was really interesting. The book's been on my wishlist since 2010... When I moved to Espoo, I found out they had copies of the novel at the library and reserved one immediately. 

I don't know what I was supposed to make of the book. I'm sure it was meant to make me think about stuff but I guess I wasn't in the mood :blush: I couldn't feel the novel I was supposed to, I think. It might not have been the right time for me. It wasn't a complete dud, but it was nothing I expected, either. 

2/5

#97. The Story of Tracy Beaker by Jacqueline Wilson 

From AmazonTracy Beaker's not exactly sure what her mother does, because Tracy has been in foster care for as long as she can remember. Maybe one day Tracy’s mother will show up and reclaim her long-lost daughter, but in the meantime, Tracy’s doing everything she can to take care of herself—even though she has to share her birthday cake. Then a journalist shows up to write a story about their orphanage, and she and Tracy strike up a special friendship.

Thoughts: I've read two novels by Wilson before and loved them. I bought this copy from the library's removed books section and read it during the holidays. It was good, but it wasn't as special as the previous novels I've read by Wilson, I'm afraid. It read more like a 'normal' kids' novel, and not a clever, sympathy-inducing books I'm used to reading by Wilson. :shrug:

3/5

#100. Double Act by Jacqueline Wilson 

From Amazon: Ten-year-old Ruby and Garnet are identical twins who do everything together. [...] Together they're the perfect double act--and that's just the way they like it. 

Soon the twins' life is turned upside down. Their dad has been spending a lot of time with his new "friend" Rose. [...]

Thoughts: Now this one I loved! :smile2: I love how the twins find a book in which they can write together, and how you can read from their respective 'diary entries' how different the two of them are. They are different but they are best friends. It might be fun to have a twin! I'd settle for an older or younger sister, though... 

Anyhow. I flew through this novel and would recommend it to anyone who likes Jacqueline Wilson's novels :smile2: 

5/5

Such great reviews Frankie.  :smile:

In answer to your spoiler query,

I did, despite her character flaws having such an impact on others. Wit can carry a character a long way, especially in John Green's hands, and you can see how that combined with an enigmatic energy makes her appealing to the book's other characters.

Such great reviews Frankie.  :smile:

In answer to your spoiler query,

I did, despite her character flaws having such an impact on others. Wit can carry a character a long way, especially in John Green's hands, and you can see how that combined with an enigmatic energy makes her appealing to the book's other characters.

Thanks for getting back to me re: Looking for Alaska! :) 

The thing is, I didn't like Alaska. I thought she was annoying :blush: It might sound odd but I'm happy someone's liked her :) Thinking about it again, I guess I'm more interested to know if Green intended to make her likable, and it just failed with me, or if he just created the character as he saw her and left it to the reader to make their own mind up. Writing that down, I see how odd that sentence and notion seems, and of course it's the latter. 

In response to the Looking For Alaska query:

No. I HATED her, and though I have yet to read An Abundance Of Katherines, I feel Looking For Alaska is John Green's worst novel in general. I was utterly underwhelmed by it. I must read Katherines to complete the set, as that is usually people's least favourite. Then again, Paper Towns is (imo) his best work, and not many people agree with me on that, so what do I know?! :D

Don't you just hate being behind with your reviews? :rolleyes: Worst feeling ever :D At the moment I'm not bothered by how my reviews sound like, I just wanted them over and done with! :blush:

Yeah, I think I just need to get on and post them. :D  I really need to do it this weekend, because I go back to work on Monday, and will be tired and grumpy and depressed. :doh:

Wow, that's a lot of reviews! Well done for writing them all :)!

You had some problems with your mojo for a long time, I'm so glad you've felt more like reading in the past while :). You read some great books! I also loved Fangirl, I'm not much into fanfiction but I thought the book was really good.

I have this on my TBR so hopefully it's a mood thing and I get on better with it.

I'm rather certain that you will fair better with it. I think I wasn't in the right mood for it. I should've put it down and tried it some other time in the future. I'm sure you'll get loads more out of it. Now I'm actually waiting for your thoughts on the novel :) 

In response to the Looking For Alaska query:

No. I HATED her, and though I have yet to read An Abundance Of Katherines, I feel Looking For Alaska is John Green's worst novel in general. I was utterly underwhelmed by it. I must read Katherines to complete the set, as that is usually people's least favourite. Then again, Paper Towns is (imo) his best work, and not many people agree with me on that, so what do I know?! :D

I'm really glad I'm not the only one who

didn't like her all that much. I can't really say anything about Green's other novels as I've not read any of them yet. But hey, we all like what we like, no one's taste is better or more correct than other people's :) 

Yeah, I think I just need to get on and post them. :D  I really need to do it this weekend, because I go back to work on Monday, and will be tired and grumpy and depressed. :doh:

I've been to your log and seen you post a few! Well done :D  :friends3:

Wow, that's a lot of reviews! Well done for writing them all :)!

It took most of yesterday but it was worth it, I can now concentrate on other things! :) I knew the unwritten reviews were going to bother me for as long as they stayed unwritten, so I just pushed myself to do them and get them out of the way.

Finally getting to the part I've been waiting for for a while now! :smile2: One of my favorite parts of reading logging.

Thoughts on my reading year 2014

I'll try to keep this short and simple, and so I'm not going to go into long paragraphs and long sentences, I'm just going to make a few points and keep them as short as I can:

- This was a great reading year! Mojo was gone for a few months in the spring and summer, but it came back with vengeance when I moved to Espoo and started reserving books from the libraries. And this is the first time since 2010 that I managed to read 100 books.

- The other big accomplishment was that when I started the year, my number of read books on Goodreads stood at 932, and I wanted to get to an even 1,000 this year. I managed that on 12.11.2014, and it felt really great! :)

- And one other huge goal for me which I succeeded was that I came to 100 read books off the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die -list.

(Any one of the above would've made my reading year on its own, but to have those three come true during one single year was pretty amazing! I'm pretty sure I can't top this in the future in any way :D)

I had a few other, smaller aims for the year:

- To keep acquired books under 100 – I managed this, I only acquired 41 books.

- To keep bought books under 40 – I managed this, too, as I bought only 17 books.

- To reduce TBR to under 400 – TBR now stands well under 400, although most of the books I gave away because I was no longer interested in them, and I also needed to cut down on the number of books I own because I moved to another apartment.

- To read at least one book in Swedish – Read one. Should really read more in the future!

- There's one goal which I didn't reach: I wanted to read more books in English than in Finnish. Well that didn't happen! I read 65 books in Finnish and only 34 books in English. I think this is due to three facts: a) I read more original Finnish novels than I've read in ages, b) I gave up on my previous rule of reading books only on their original language if possible, and c) with the wishlist books I read, I went for the edition they had available at the library, and they didn't always have an English original. I still managed to read 59 out of 100 books in the original language, whether it was Finnish, Swedish or English, and that's more than half so I'm happy.

- Here are the statistics of books read vs. books acquired from the last years:

2008: 78 / 116

2009: 118 / 160

2010: 120 / 321

2011: 91 / 309

2012: 83 / 99

2013: 78 / 66

2014: 100 / 41

I'm really pleased by how I'm no longer a slave to Bookdepository, Adlibris, and the second hand bookshops and charityshops :blush:

- I'm not too happy about how I read more library books than TBR books this year! I read 70 library books and only 17 TBR books. But I'm not going to wallow, it's important to support the libraries and since I moved to another city I was bound to go a little crazy at the new local library of mine!

- Reading so many library books did a lot of good for my wishlist: I read 34 books off the list! And if you know me, you know my list is huge. (I'm not going to count how many books I've added to the wishlist this year, though. It's never a good thing to count those titles. It's always going to make me sad :blush:)

- Here's one statistic that is pretty astounding in my opinion: I read 72 books by female authors, and only 28 books by male authors!! Usually the ratio has been more balanced, and I would probably say that for the last years it's been usually in the favor of men. Let's go check the year 2013... Oh wow, I was wrong:

Read books written by female authors: 48
Read books written by male authors: 29

Read books written by female authors: 42
Read books written by male authors: 39

Read books written by female authors: 45
Read books written by male authors: 48

Well, the difference hasn't been as major in the previous years. This time it was pretty phenominal.

- This year I read 28 books by Finnish authors, which is almost, almost one third of all the novels I read this year. It's been wonderful, I have to say. I've been neglecting Finnish literature so long and it's not very flattering, is it. And I really enjoyed the majority of the Finnish novels I read.

- There's one more thing that made this reading year so great: I didn't give one single novel 1/5! :smile2: Here are the rating stats:

Ratings:
1/5: - 
2/5: 10
3/5: 26
4/5: 44
5/5: 20

The average rating is therefore 3,74 (if I got it right!) which is really high for me. Last year it was 3,66666666666666, which was better than in 2012. I guess I'm either luckier year by year or I'm sticking more to my wishlist and know better what I want to read. The average rating I have on GR for the 1,000+ books I've read is 3,46, so this year and last have been bringing it up from a lower one for sure.

Here are the books I read this year, according to how I rated them. In chronological order:

5/5
The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell 5/5 thoughts 

This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper 5/5 thoughts 

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion 5/5 thoughts 

A Man in Full by Tom Wolfe 5/5 thoughts 

Mimmi ja vihainen vahtimestari by Viveca Sundvall 5/5 (re-read)

In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner 5/5 (re-read)

The Illustrated Mum by Jacqueline Wilson 5/5 thoughts 

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher 5/5 thoughts

Tinka ja Tiikeri by Taru Mäkinen 5/5 (re-read)

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin 5/5 thoughts
Kuinka tehtiin sarjamurhaaja - Thomas Quickin tapaus by Hannes Råstam 5/5 thoughts
The Rabbit Back Literature Society by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen 5/5 thoughts

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn 5/5 thoughts

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn 5/5 thoughts

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman 5/5 thoughts

Sydänystävä by Niina Hakalahti 5/5 thoughts

Opettajainhuone by Annika Luther 5/5 thoughts

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell 5/5 thoughts

Double Act by Jacqueline Wilson 5/5 thoughts

4/5 

Vaudeville! by Gaétan Soucy 4/5 thoughts 

Cuckoo by Julia Crouch 4/5 thoughts 

Häpeän monet kasvot by Ben Malinen 4/5 thoughts

Flowers for Mrs Harris by Paul Gallico 4/5 thoughts 

Eevan luokka by Mary Marck 4/5 thoughts 

Adrian Mole - The Cappuccino Years by Sue Townsend 4/5 (re-read)
The Lost Diaries of Adrian Mole by Sue Townsend 4/5 (re-read)
Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction by Sue Townsend 4/5 (re-read)

Mimmi ja hörökorvainen Lasse by Viveca Sundvall 4/5 (re-read) 

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer 4/5 (re-read)
Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer 4/5 thoughts 

Praying for Sleep by Jeffery Deaver 4/5 thoughts

Sheriffi McCoy by Andy McCoy 4/5 (re-read) 
Naisen päiväkirja by Eeva Kilpi  4/5 thoughts
Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray (1001, RG-b) 4/5 thoughs
Lola Rose by Jacqueline Wilson 4/5 thoughts
Kiti - mun paras ystävä by Sirpa Puskala 4/5 (re-read)
A Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen 4/5 thoughts 

Susikoira Roi by Jorma Kurvinen 4/5 thoughts

Steissi by Teija Niemi 4/5 (re-read)

Tinka ja unelmien aika by Taru Mäkinen 4/5 (re-read)

Tinka ja tummat vuoret by Taru Mäkinen 4/5 (re-read)

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple 4/5 thoughts 

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett  (re-read)  4/5

Therapy by Sebastian Fitzek 4/5 thoughts

The Dinner by Herman Koch 4/5 thoughts

Lottery by Patricia Woods 4/5 thoughts

Behind Closed Doors by Jenny Tomlin  4/5 thoughts

I was Jane Austen's Best Friend by Cora Harrison 4/5 thoughts

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell 4/5 thoughts

Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella 4/5 thoughts

Hate List by Jennifer Brown 4/5 thoughts

Mustikkasoppa by Katariina Romppainen 4/5 thoughts 

Kunnes kuolema vapauttaa by Anneli Rantsi 4/5 thoughts

Mr. Monk Is Cleaned Out by Lee Goldberg 4/5 thoughts

Mr. Monk Gets On Board by Hy Conrad 4/5 thoughts

Rebuilding Coventry by Sue Townsend (re-read) 4/5

Uimataito by Niina Hakalahti 4/5 thoughts

Until You're Mine by Samantha Hayes 4/5 thoughts

Aavasaksa by Niina Hakalahti 4/5 thoughts

Avioliittosimulaattori by Veera Nieminen 4/5 thoughts

Looking for Alaska by John Green 4/5 thoughts

Juhannus italialaiseen tapaan by Annakaisa Iivari 4/5 thoughts

Verenpunaiset ravut by Eila Palmgren 4/5 thoughts

3/5 
Diary of a Mad Housewife by Sue Kaufman 3/5 thoughts 
Kati in America by Astrid Lindgren 3/5 thoughts 
Kati in Italy by Astrid Lindgren 3/5 thoughts 
Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont by Elizabeth Taylor 3/5 thoughts 
The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst 3/5 thoughts 
Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers 3/5 (re-read)
Kaffe med musik by Karin Brunk Holmqvist 3/5 thoughts 
The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford (1001) 3/5 thoughts 

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer 3/5 (re-read)
Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer 3/5 thoughts 
The Blue Nowhere by Jeffery Deaver 3/5 thoughts 
The Bad Girls' Club by Rhian Tracey 3/5 thoughts 

Death in a Strange Country by Donna Leon 3/5 thoughts

The Private Lives of Pippa Lee by Rebecca Miller 3/5 thoughts 

Sweethearts by Sara Zarr 3/5 thoughts
The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket by John Boyne 3/5 thoughts

The Library of Unrequited Love by Sophie Divry 3/5 thoughts

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey 3/5 thoughts

Mr. Monk in Trouble by Lee Goldberg 3/5 thoughts

Hengenahdistusta by Niina Hakalahti 3/5 thoughts

One for the Money by Janet Evanovich (re-read) 3/5

Goodbye for Now by Laurie Frankel 3/5 thoughts

Hector And the Search for Happiness by Francois Lelord 3/5 thoughts

Kaikki mitä tiedän huomisesta by Taina Haahti 3/5 thoughts

Mimmi ja kumma kenkäkauppias by Viveca Sundvall (re-read) 3/5

The Story of Tracy Beaker by Jacqueline Wilson 3/5 thoughts

2/5 
Kati in Paris by Astrid Lindgren 2/5 thoughts
Ikkunaprinsessa by Tuija Lehtinen 2/5 (re-read) 

Kaupungin kaunein lyyli by Jukka Parkkinen 2/5 (re-read)

Kirjeitä Tiinalle by Anita Korhonen 2/5 thoughts

Kuolema Ehtoolehdossa by Minna Lindgren 2/5 thoughts

Deviant by Harold Schechter 2/5 thoughts

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen (RG-b) 2/5 thoughts

The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud 2/5 thoughts

Lyyra soittaa salat by Eila Palmgren 2/5 thoughts

The Man in My Basement by Walter Mosley 2/5 thoughts

Edited by frankie

Wow, great stats. Congrats on reading 100 books in 2014, 100 books from the 1001 list, and 1000 books on Goodreads! :D

That's a really surprising leap in the number of books you've read by female authors. Given that you read so many books in Finnish as well, do you think these two statistics are related? Would you say that there are more well-known female Finnish authors?

I still need to do my end-of-year wrap-up for 2014. Because I read a decent number of books in 2014 (decent for me, anyway), maybe I'll do a little analysis as well. :) I don't usually get around to doing anything of the sort.

I'm really impressed with the number of books you acquired. Refresh my memory...that number doesn't include books you borrowed from the library, does it? I always smile when I see the number of books you've acquired over the years: 2010 = 321. My favourite year. :D

I'm going to try to avoid both book fairs this year, so maybe I'll be able to acquire very few books as well!

I'm glad you had a great reading year overall. Nice write-up, interesting statistics!

Thanks Athena :)

Wow, great stats. Congrats on reading 100 books in 2014, 100 books from the 1001 list, and 1000 books on Goodreads! 

Thanks! I'll probably still talk about that come next year, and many years after that :D I will have fond memories of the reading year 2014... I should write a song about it!   :23_sing:  If I enter the Eurovision song contest and get to represent Finland, will you promise you'll watch the show? :blush:

That's a really surprising leap in the number of books you've read by female authors. Given that you read so many books in Finnish as well, do you think these two statistics are related? Would you say that there are more well-known female Finnish authors?

It's really surprising, isn't it! You know, I was just reading Jänet's new reading log and I commented on her female vs male author ratio, she had it the other way around. And I started wondering what it was all about. 

I have wondered if it's to do with the Finnish authors I've read. I should count the Finnish female/male authors and foreign female/male authors separately and see if there's anything there. I have read a few series this year, and those have been series written by women, so that is one factor. But then again, is it just a coincidence that I didn't read any series written by men? :shrug:

I wouldn't say there are more well-known female Finnish authors. I would say it's 50-50, or in the favor of men, if either. But I might feel less intimidated by Finnish female authors than male authors... Another thing that comes to mind is that this year all the thrillers I read have been by female authors. For some reason.

I still need to do my end-of-year wrap-up for 2014. Because I read a decent number of books in 2014 (decent for me, anyway), maybe I'll do a little analysis as well.  I don't usually get around to doing anything of the sort.

You read a really great number of books, I'm still in awe, and so proud of you!  :friends3:  You started out so strong in the beginning of the year and I was fearing what would happen if you didn't continue with your mojo, but you did, and you just rocketed through 2014 :D

I'd definitely recommend doing an end-of-yead wrap-up. It's fun to go back and put together all the things that have happened with your reading along the year. *yes*

I'm really impressed with the number of books you acquired. Refresh my memory...that number doesn't include books you borrowed from the library, does it? I always smile when I see the number of books you've acquired over the years: 2010 = 321. My favourite year. 

The number of books acquired are books I've acquired and that have permanently entered casa Karjalainen (until I might give them away). Library books do not enter into that equation, no.

2010 was a mad, mad year :D Do take into consideration the fact that I also read the most books I've ever read per year during that year :drama: It wasn't a complete disaster, therefore... Oh who am I trying to kid :D I blame you, though! As always! 

I'm going to try to avoid both book fairs this year, so maybe I'll be able to acquire very few books as well!

Oh you've decided already? Awww that's a shame. What if your Mom wants to go! You'll have to go. Hehee! But you'll do good. You've been so strict lately, you've done an amazing job! 

You should really do at least the stats of acquired books from the past few years. You'll see how good you've been.