karen.d's Reading List 2014

karen.d

I've been meaning to read the Kite Runner for ages. You've just bumped it a couple of places up my wish list :)

I notice you have Olivia Joules on your TBR. I thought it was great, rather silly and quite light but a perfect holiday read.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice you have Olivia Joules on your TBR. I thought it was great, rather silly and quite light but a perfect holiday read.

I actually didn't know that Helen Fielding had written anything other than Bridget Jones. So when I was at the charity shop I volunteer at and saw this, I had to buy it.

Edited by karen.d

'Finn Family Moomin Troll'- Tove Jansson

When my friend gave me this book for my birthday (we had a random conversation about 'The Moonmins', as you do, and having watched the tv show as a child, I hadn't realised that this was originally a series of books), I was skeptical that as an adult, I wouldn't enjoy this. However, I think this book is suitable for older children or adults.

The idyllic settings and gentle story are a refreshing change from adult fiction and I found this a pleasure to read. Even though this is aimed as children, the writing was poetic and challenging. I actually think that this book is suited to be read a loud, rather than just reading to yourself, so it would be a good bedtime book for children. This book is pure escapism and I love the quirky plot, each chapter can be read as a separate story, as well as a continuing plot. The only criticism would be that the end was a little far fetched and even though this is fantasy, the ending pushed it a little.

At 33, I may be a little old to read 'The Moonmin' novels, but the first novel in the series is a joy to read.

I've realised that as the older I become, the slower the speed I'm reading. I'm an impossibly slow reader! It's also due to the fact that I don't have a lot of time recently, which makes it seem as if I'm not enjoying 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett. I have to admit that it took me a while to get into this book, but I'm really enjoying it now.

Some of your may know that as well as talking about books on here, I also write a book blog, even though it's very sporadic. I've regained my blogging mojo and recently received a comment, regarding a review of a book I wrote 3 years ago. I gave the book in question a mixed/poor review and someone said that my review was unsatisfactory, as this was book is considered a masterpiece in certain circles. I don't agree that just because someone says a book/film etc is calssic/masterpiece, that I should enjoy it. Do you agree? Do you  feel pressure to accept a book/film as a masterpiece, or do you make your own mind up? You can read the post I mentioned, here.

Hi  Karen

I tried going to the page you mentioned, but can't figure out how to see the review or roll the page up to see it. I clicked on the book and the date, but if I click on the side, the other tabs come out so I can't roll the page .

Is it the book Ebenezer Le Page ? I read that earlier this year and loved it ,but that isn't saying that you are wrong if you didn't like it, or that I am right if I did .

We all like different types of writing and books and we are all searching for a book that will speak to us or teach us something we may not have known before . I see nothing wrong with posting an honest review about a book. You shouldn't feel like you need to like a book just because it wins awards or is a bestseller . I have tried reading bestsellers that I thought were a waste of time ,so it's all in the PERSON .

It doesn't make you bad if you don't like a book. It makes you HONEST  :)

Some of your may know that as well as talking about books on here, I also write a book blog, even though it's very sporadic. I've regained my blogging mojo and recently received a comment, regarding a review of a book I wrote 3 years ago. I gave the book in question a mixed/poor review and someone said that my review was unsatisfactory, as this was book is considered a masterpiece in certain circles. I don't agree that just because someone says a book/film etc is calssic/masterpiece, that I should enjoy it. Do you agree? Do you  feel pressure to accept a book/film as a masterpiece, or do you make your own mind up? You can read the post I mentioned, here.

I make my own mind up.  I was really disappointed in Brideshead Revisited and Nineteen Eighty-Four, even though they are both very highly regarded.  I'd be a bit surprised if someone told me that my opinion was basically wrong, just because it wasn't the same as the majority of readers.  I mean, if you're automatically supposed to find something fantastic, what's the point in even reading it really? :D  Stick to your guns :)

There's probably not one of us who hasn't disliked a book universally loved .. everyone's view is different and everyone's view is valid .. let no-one tell you otherwise. You can't be made to like a book just because it's considered a classic.

Nobody could ever convince me that Frankenstein is brilliant .. that is they couldn't convince me that I thought it was brilliant :D

Btw you are definitely not too old to read The Moomins Karen .. nobody is. Glad you liked Finn Family Moomintroll :) .. hopefully I'll get around to reading them soon.

I don't read reviews to tell me what to read.  I read them for the information contained.....IOW if a reviewer says AAA about a book, and hates AAA and I know I absolutely love AAA...there is my answer.  So, the reviewers opinion doesn't matter a bit, it's the information. 

Lots of people don't like the convoluted sort of stories I like, so if a reviewer says.....Oh!  This book was way too twisty, or way too back and forth....chances are I'll love it.  :D

BTW, I thought your answer to that poster on your blog was very good.  Diplomatic to the core!  Good show.  :D

Edited by pontalba

Hi  Karen

I tried going to the page you mentioned, but can't figure out how to see the review or roll the page up to see it. I clicked on the book and the date, but if I click on the side, the other tabs come out so I can't roll the page .

Is it the book Ebenezer Le Page ? I read that earlier this year and loved it ,but that isn't saying that you are wrong if you didn't like it, or that I am right if I did .

We all like different types of writing and books and we are all searching for a book that will speak to us or teach us something we may not have known before . I see nothing wrong with posting an honest review about a book. You shouldn't feel like you need to like a book just because it wins awards or is a bestseller . I have tried reading bestsellers that I thought were a waste of time ,so it's all in the PERSON .

It doesn't make you bad if you don't like a book. It makes you HONEST  :)

hi julie if you click 'here' on my post it takes you straight to what I'm talking about.Although you're not the only one who has seaid that they found my blog difficult to navigate, so I might change it (it recently had a make over.)

In regards to my reviews, I don't just criticise a book for the sake of it. I have read reviewers who make a criticism, only to then not have enough evidence to back it up. As you say, I say what I think, but that doesn't mane you have to agree.

I make my own mind up.  I was really disappointed in Brideshead Revisited and Nineteen Eighty-Four, even though they are both very highly regarded.  I'd be a bit surprised if someone told me that my opinion was basically wrong, just because it wasn't the same as the majority of readers.  I mean, if you're automatically supposed to find something fantastic, what's the point in even reading it really? :D  Stick to your guns :)

Exactly. Surely it's up to the individual to make their own minds up. Differing opinions lead to great debate!

There's probably not one of us who hasn't disliked a book universally loved .. everyone's view is different and everyone's view is valid .. let no-one tell you otherwise. You can't be made to like a book just because it's considered a classic.

Nobody could ever convince me that Frankenstein is brilliant .. that is they couldn't convince me that I thought it was brilliant :D

Btw you are definitely not too old to read The Moomins Karen .. nobody is. Glad you liked Finn Family Moomintroll :) .. hopefully I'll get around to reading them soon.

I hate it when people tell me that I should like something. I'm really stubborn, so that miight make me dislike the book more! I really enjoyed 'The Moonins' and will definitely try and read the rest of the series......despite my age :P

I don't read reviews to tell me what to read.  I read them for the information contained.....IOW if a reviewer says AAA about a book, and hates AAA and I know I absolutely love AAA...there is my answer.  So, the reviewers opinion doesn't matter a bit, it's the information. 

Lots of people don't like the convoluted sort of stories I like, so if a reviewer says.....Oh!  This book was way too twisty, or way too back and forth....chances are I'll love it.  :D

BTW, I thought your answer to that poster on your blog was very good.  Diplomatic to the core!  Good show.  :D

I do the same. I tend to  read/watch a film or book if someone slates it, just to see how bad it really is!

I decided to go for the diplomatic response to my commentor. I figured they were after a fight, so I may have surprised them by my polite answer :P

Karen

I finally figured out how to see your review (DUH to me !! ) ...

Anyhow, I didn't think you made it sound bad at all. You gave the good and the bad points of the book as you saw them . They guy who commented below sounds like one of those know-it-alls that wants to shove his opinion down everyone else's throats .

Although I DID like the book a lot , I wouldn't call it a Masterpiece . I'd call it a good book that I enjoyed . I was probably also swayed because it was told from the viewpoint of an old person. Lots of my favorite books are told by a crotchety old person ,telling the story of their life ..

Anyhow, I think you responded politely to the old grump . Better than I would have, I think .  :)

It's sometimes difficult, but I try to remember my mother's advice, that....you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.  :D  

I have to laugh, sometimes I'll sit here and just mutter to myself, Husband is becoming accustomed to it, but still says....what?  Are you muttering or asking?  :giggle2:

Karen

I finally figured out how to see your review (DUH to me !! ) ...

Anyhow, I didn't think you made it sound bad at all. You gave the good and the bad points of the book as you saw them . They guy who commented below sounds like one of those know-it-alls that wants to shove his opinion down everyone else's throats .

Although I DID like the book a lot , I wouldn't call it a Masterpiece . I'd call it a good book that I enjoyed . I was probably also swayed because it was told from the viewpoint of an old person. Lots of my favorite books are told by a crotchety old person ,telling the story of their life ..

Anyhow, I think you responded politely to the old grump . Better than I would have, I think .  :)

Hi thanks for that. I remember enjoying the book, but thought it far from perfect. The guy hasn't commented back.....surprise, surprise!

It's sometimes difficult, but I try to remember my mother's advice, that....you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.  :D  

I have to laugh, sometimes I'll sit here and just mutter to myself, Husband is becoming accustomed to it, but still says....what?  Are you muttering or asking?  :giggle2:

Hehe! I think being nice costs nothing (although I have been accused of being too nice), there's such thing as debate, there's no need to get nasty.

Kate

You do that too !  :giggle2:

Thank goodness it's not just me. Sometimes films/books are so terrible that they are good....if you see what I mean?

• 3 weeks later...

It works!  /mutter, mutter, curse, curse/ :D

:giggle2:

Surprisingly though, the person who wrote that comment never did answer my reply. Am I surprised? No!

Edited by karen.d

I'm very late to commenting on some of the posts in this thread, I hope you don't mind :blush:

It was only my first day back volunteering at the charity shop today and already I have come back with two books :blush2:

I bought 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett and 'Look who it is! Alan Carr-My story'- Alan Carr. Bought both for a Euro!

:D That's a great start! Mind you, like you said in one of your later posts, you are an Alan Carr fan so obviously you had to get the book, and The Help is really great, in my opinion. So all's good :giggle: And cheap, too! And for a good cause. It's a win-win situation!

'On Chesil Beach'- Ian McEwan

After hearing very positive comments about this book, I had high expectations about it. To be honest, I can't really make my mind up about whether I enjoyed this or not.The story centres around Edward and Florence, two people who are on their honeymoon. In anticipation for their wedding night, the story focuses on their worries and anticipation for their first sexual encounter. The story also weaves the story of their lives, how they meet and how thy use each other to enter adulthood.

On the one hand, this book is beautifully written. It really focuses on the emotions going through their minds about love and sexuality. However in some ways, the sparseness of the novel left me feeling a little flat.I don't think that this is a novel which is plot driven, I think it's more an examination of the human mind, which is very interesting.

I didn't really like any of the characters and found them quite confusing. I couldn't really pin down exactly who they were and what I should feel about them. You could say then, that was a good thing on the author's part, because the main characters were confused also.

The ending of the story was anticlimax and at the end of the novel I thought 'Was that it?' I'm glad I read this, because the descriptions and writing in general were brilliant, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it. Sorry for the mixed review, but my feelings towards this novel are just that.

No sorries needed, that was a great review in my opinion and I thought you expressed very well what you thought of the book. I've had people recommend this book and Atonement, but I'm a bit undecided about Ian McEwan. I like more meat in my books. I don't much like being confused after reading a book :D

I started reading 'Atonement' and couldn't get into it, possibly for the same reasons that I had with 'On Chesil Beach'. You're right, may be this book is missing something, but I couldn't tell you want. It's very frustrating when you read a book and can't quite put into words how you feel about it.

Maybe his books are not for you, or maybe you need to be in a very certain mood to read them. Like when you crave a book for the sake of the language, and don't mind if there's not that much plot to it. When you like it that you have to sort of fill the spaces in the story and the characters, that the author has left for the reader.

'Finn Family Moomin Troll'- Tove Jansson

When my friend gave me this book for my birthday (we had a random conversation about 'The Moonmins', as you do, and having watched the tv show as a child, I hadn't realised that this was originally a series of books), I was skeptical that as an adult, I wouldn't enjoy this. However, I think this book is suitable for older children or adults.

The idyllic settings and gentle story are a refreshing change from adult fiction and I found this a pleasure to read. Even though this is aimed as children, the writing was poetic and challenging. I actually think that this book is suited to be read a loud, rather than just reading to yourself, so it would be a good bedtime book for children. This book is pure escapism and I love the quirky plot, each chapter can be read as a separate story, as well as a continuing plot. The only criticism would be that the end was a little far fetched and even though this is fantasy, the ending pushed it a little.

At 33, I may be a little old to read 'The Moonmin' novels, but the first novel in the series is a joy to read.

Hey, we are about the same age! (I'll turn 33 at the end of the year) And I haven't read any Moomin books either before now, and have been contemplating on reading the first book :D What a coinky dink! Like you, I watched the TV series as a kid, (being a Finn you can't really escape the Moomins...) and didn't like it at all. But over the years I've kept having people tell me that the books are so much better and nothing like the TV series, so I've come to think I ought to give the first book a chance.

I believe I've heard that at least some of the Moomin books were actually written for adults. And in one of the book the Moomin papa (or whatever he's called in English) is actually smoking pot. I think it was the book where Moomin papa was sailing the sea or something. I might have to google...

Edit: How has the charity shop volunteering been going? Have you bought many books from there this year? :)

Edited by frankie

I'm very late to commenting on some of the posts in this thread, I hope you don't mind :blush:

It's never too late to talk about books Frankie! :smile:  Thanks for stopping by the thread! What are you reading at the moment?

:D That's a great start! Mind you, like you said in one of your later posts, you are an Alan Carr fan so obviously you had to get the book, and The Help is really great, in my opinion. So all's good :giggle: And cheap, too! And for a good cause. It's a win-win situation!

Yes it is very cheap! Although in my review for the Alan Carr book, I said that this book actually put me off him. 'The Help' is a very good book. Hopefully I will get around to reviewing it soon!

No sorries needed, that was a great review in my opinion and I thought you expressed very well what you thought of the book. I've had people recommend this book and Atonement, but I'm a bit undecided about Ian McEwan. I like more meat in my books. I don't much like being confused after reading a book :D

Maybe his books are not for you, or maybe you need to be in a very certain mood to read them. Like when you crave a book for the sake of the language, and don't mind if there's not that much plot to it. When you like it that you have to sort of fill the spaces in the story and the characters, that the author has left for the reader.

May be not, I would say thought that at least I found ' On Chesil Beach' interesting. I didn't hate it, it was just thought provoking....which is a good thing in my opinion.

Hey, we are about the same age! (I'll turn 33 at the end of the year) And I haven't read any Moomin books either before now, and have been contemplating on reading the first book :D What a coinky dink! Like you, I watched the TV series as a kid, (being a Finn you can't really escape the Moomins...) and didn't like it at all. But over the years I've kept having people tell me that the books are so much better and nothing like the TV series, so I've come to think I ought to give the first book a chance.

I believe I've heard that at least some of the Moomin books were actually written for adults. And in one of the book the Moomin papa (or whatever he's called in English) is actually smoking pot. I think it was the book where Moomin papa was sailing the sea or something. I might have to google...

Yay at being 33! Although I must say I don't feel it most of the time! I hadn't got the reference to Moomin Papa smoking pot! However, cartoon/children's writers can subtly sneak in adult themes. It makes me want to read this book again to find though hidden things I missed the first time around!

Edit: How has the charity shop volunteering been going? Have you bought many books from there this year? :)

My volunteering is going ok, sometimes we have loads of customers, other times, no one. I have managed to purchase a few more books lately, including the book I am reading at the moment 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro. I'm very intruiged by this novel. Like 'On Chesil Beach', I'm not sure what to make of this.

• 2 months later...

I've not been very good at updating my book log this year, so there are a couple of books I have read, which I haven't added to my list :doh:  I will try and find out what they were shortly. What I will be definitely doing, is writing my thoughts on 'Cloud Atlas' by David Mitchell, which in my opinion is a brilliant book. Has anyone else read this?

I've not been very good at updating my book log this year, so there are a couple of books I have read, which I haven't added to my list :doh:  I will try and find out what they were shortly. What I will be definitely doing, is writing my thoughts on 'Cloud Atlas' by David Mitchell, which in my opinion is a brilliant book. Has anyone else read this?

Loved Cloud Atlas! :D

• 2 weeks later...

'Cloud Atlas' by David Mitchell.

This is a novel which I've put off reviewing. Due to the magnitude of the novel, I wasn't sure if I could do this justice. I'm going to try. THIS MAY CONTAIN SLIGHT SPOILERS!!

'Cloud Atlas' is actually 6 stories in one. They span countries and varying points in time, some in the present, in the past and way into the future. At first they seem unrelated but as you read on, all becomes clear.

Firstly, what is amazing is David Mitchell's ability to deal with genre. I must admit that I enjoyed some of the stories more than others, but I felt like each separate story was authentically written and equally dealt with. I do prefer when he writes in first person though because for me, the stories written in this way were the most vivid. I also thought it was extremely clever, how each story ties in with everything else.

The thing that overall impressed me with this novel, is the fact that as a reader, I felt challenged. The first story stops mid-sentence. At first, this threw me, but the fun of this novel is to try and work out what is happening. It does become apparent, so it's not a totally confusing novel, but by not simply being given a linear plot and all of the information on a plate, I thought that this was an interesting novel to read.

I also thought that the different issues being raised during this book were extremely interesting. There are many ways you can interpret this novel and for me, that could mean that every time you read this, you could take something different from it. If you read a book and you could easily re-read it, this shows the signs of a great novel.

Lately, I have read many books which entertained me, but leave nothing to 'chew on' mentally. 'Cloud Atlas' for me, made a refreshing change. I seriously recommend this book.