karen.d's Reading List 2014

karen.d

Hi! It's a new year, which means a new reading list. I think I will stick with the same rating system as last year, as it seemed to work. However, I have decided to add a pòlicy that if I have read 100 pages of a book and am not enjoying it, I have the licence to abandon it. Life is too short to wade through books you don't like!

My Rating:

* Didn't like it

** It was ok

*** Liked it

**** Loved it

***** A Must Read

January

(Started in 2013) 'The Kite Runner'- Khaled Hosseini ****

'On Chesil Beach'- Ian McEwan ***

'Look Who it is!'- Alan Carr **

'Finn Family Moomintroll'- Tove Jansson ***

'The Help'- Kathryn Stockett ***

February

March

(Started in February) 'The Moment'- Douglas Kennedy ****

'Never Let me Go'- Kazuo Ishiguro ****

April

May

June

'Cloud Atlas' David Mitchell*****

' The Lady of the Rivers' Philippa Gregory (Unfinished)

July

'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone' (Re-read)- J.K Rowling ****

'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets' (Re-Read)- J.K Rowling ****

August

September

(Started In August) 'Ghostwritten'- David Mitchell *

'The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic'- Sophie Kinsella ***

'Belonging'- Sameem Ali (Currently Reading)

October

November

December

Edited by karen.d

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Be Read List:

Paperback

'The Red Queen'- Philippa Gregory

'Vanity Fair'- William Thackeray

'Disclosure'- Michael Crichton

'Oliver Twist'- Charles Dickens

'Our Mutual Friend'- Charles Dickens

'The Pickwick Papers'- Charles Dickens

'Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination'- Helen Fielding

'War and Peace'- Leo Tolstoy

'A Tale of Two Cities'- Charles Dickens

'Belonging'- Sameem Ali

'The Island'- Victoria Hislop

'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas'- John Boyne

'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett

'The Colour of Magic'-Terry Pratchett

Kindle

'It'- Stephen King

'Insomnia'- Stephen King

'Under the Dome'- Stephen King

'Needful Things'- Stephen King

'The Collective'-Stephen King

'Night Shift'-Stephen King

'The Tommyknockers'-Stephen King

'The Dark Towers'-Stephen King

'Wolves of Calla'- Stephen King

'The Drawing of the Three'-Stephen King

'Wizard and Glass'-Stephen King

'Salem's Lot'-Stephen King

'Christine'-Stephen King

'The Dark Half'-Stephen King

'Dreamcatcher'-Stephen King

'Cujo'-Stephen King

'The Gunslinger'-Stephen King

'The Running Man'-Stephen King

'The Thirty-Nine Steps'- John Buchan

'A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man'- James Joyce

'Pride and Prejudice'- Jane Austen

'Ulysses'- James Joyce

'Three Men in a Boat'- Jerome K. Jerome

'Dracula'- Bram Stoker

Edited by karen.d

'The Kite Runner'- Khaled Hosseini

This is my first book of 2014 (techinically last book of 2013 too) and it wasn't a disappointment. I won't go into the story, because knowing me I will give away something vital about the plot, but this is a powerful story of friendship and war in Afganistan.

The writing is beautiful, the descriptions of the Afganistan landscape were the thing that moved me most and I liked the pace of the book.

I must admit that I disliked the main character Amir intensely and I also was tempted at one point, to stop reading this novel because of that fact. However, I realise now that this was deliberate on the writer's part, because all of the characters, make realistic progressions throughout the novel, including Amir.

The only slight criticism I have with this novel is that I found the ending to be a bit predictable. I worked out what was going to happen a while before the main character.

However, this is one of the most powerful books illustrating the horror and suffering which has gone on in Afganistan I have ever read. In some ways, it mades more impact than any news report about the war does.

I'm glad you enjoyed this book. I'm not sure if it's one for me, to be honest, but it does sound interesting. Nice review :).

To be honest, I didn't think this book would be for me, but I was pleasantly surprised. May be give it a go?

Happy New Year Karen and Happy Reading in 2014!  :friends0:

You've got off to a great start  :smile: 

Thanks Poppyshake! Yes I seemed to have started my reading year off well

The Kite Runner is a great book to start off the New Year with, my sister felt the same way about Amir as you did when she read it  :smile:

Happy Reading in 2014 Karen  :doowapstart:

I'm glad it's not just me that didn't like Amir at first. Happy Reading 2014 to you too!

It was only my first day back volunteering at the charity shop today and already I have come back with two books :blush2:

I bought 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett and 'Look who it is! Alan Carr-My story'- Alan Carr. Bought both for a Euro!

The Help is such a fantastic book!! I hope you enjoy it when you get there and look forward to reading your thoughts. Happy Reading in 2014

I have wanted to read 'The Help' for a long time, so when my workmate said that she had brought it into the charity shop, I knew I had to snap it up! Will post my thoughts on it, once I have got around to reading it. Happy Reading for 2014 to you too! :readingtwo:

It was only my first day back volunteering at the charity shop today and already I have come back with two books :blush2:

Is this not asking for trouble ? I`m not sure I could restrain myself. :giggle2:

Looking at your TBR, I read John Buchan`s work a fair few years ago - I think most of his work is now available free on Kindle. Greenmantle is well worth reading too. :smile:

Good Luck with your TBR in 2014 ! :D

I bought 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett and 'Look who it is! Alan Carr-My story'- Alan Carr. Bought both for a Euro!

:D... this was always going to happen  :D The Help is brilliant and I'm sure Alan's story is very interesting too. Don't be too hard on yourself .. they're cheap and you're also double helping out  :hug:  

• 2 weeks later...

:D... this was always going to happen  :D The Help is brilliant and I'm sure Alan's story is very interesting too. Don't be too hard on yourself .. they're cheap and you're also double helping out  :hug:  

I'm glad you said that because I've bought 'The Colour of Magic' by Terry Pratchett at the shop this week!

'On Chesil Beach'- Ian McEwan

After hearing very positive comments about this book, I had high expectations about it. To be honest, I can't really make my mind up about whether I enjoyed this or not.The story centres around Edward and Florence, two people who are on their honeymoon. In anticipation for their wedding night, the story focuses on their worries and anticipation for their first sexual encounter. The story also weaves the story of their lives, how they meet and how thy use each other to enter adulthood.

On the one hand, this book is beautifully written. It really focuses on the emotions going through their minds about love and sexuality. However in some ways, the sparseness of the novel left me feeling a little flat.I don't think that this is a novel which is plot driven, I think it's more an examination of the human mind, which is very interesting.

I didn't really like any of the characters and found them quite confusing. I couldn't really pin down exactly who they were and what I should feel about them. You could say then, that was a good thing on the author's part, because the main characters were confused also.

The ending of the story was anticlimax and at the end of the novel I thought 'Was that it?' I'm glad I read this, because the descriptions and writing in general were brilliant, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it. Sorry for the mixed review, but my feelings towards this novel are just that.

Karen

I'm glad you finished the book, but sorry you didn't enjoy it more. I had sort of the same feelings when I read Atonement by the same author . It had the makings of a good story but kinda left you feeling a bit deflated at the end or something . Maybe an anticlimax ? I don't even remember much of what it was about now, but I remember thinking it was missing  something .

Good luck with your next book !

I'm glad you said that because I've bought 'The Colour of Magic' by Terry Pratchett at the shop this week!

x

I love that book! It's one of my favourites. If you like it, you should buy The Light Fantastic since that contains the second half of the story.

x

After hearing very positive comments about this book, I had high expectations about it. To be honest, I can't really make my mind up about whether I enjoyed this or not.The story centres around Edward and Florence, two people who are on their honeymoon. In anticipation for their wedding night, the story focuses on their worries and anticipation for their first sexual encounter. The story also weaves the story of their lives, how they meet and how thy use each other to enter adulthood.

On the one hand, this book is beautifully written. It really focuses on the emotions going through their minds about love and sexuality. However in some ways, the sparseness of the novel left me feeling a little flat.I don't think that this is a novel which is plot driven, I think it's more an examination of the human mind, which is very interesting.

I didn't really like any of the characters and found them quite confusing. I couldn't really pin down exactly who they were and what I should feel about them. You could say then, that was a good thing on the author's part, because the main characters were confused also.

The ending of the story was anticlimax and at the end of the novel I thought 'Was that it?' I'm glad I read this, because the descriptions and writing in general were brilliant, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it. Sorry for the mixed review, but my feelings towards this novel are just that.

x

I'm sorry to hear you didn't really like it. I have it on my TBR, but haven't got around yet to reading it.

Karen

I'm glad you finished the book, but sorry you didn't enjoy it more. I had sort of the same feelings when I read Atonement by the same author . It had the makings of a good story but kinda left you feeling a bit deflated at the end or something . Maybe an anticlimax ? I don't even remember much of what it was about now, but I remember thinking it was missing  something .

Good luck with your next book !

I started reading 'Atonement' and couldn't get into it, possibly for the same reasons that I had with 'On Chesil Beach'. You're right, may be this book is missing something, but I couldn't tell you want. It's very frustrating when you read a book and can't quite put into words how you feel about it.

x

I love that book! It's one of my favourites. If you like it, you should buy The Light Fantastic since that contains the second half of the story.

x

x

I'm sorry to hear you didn't really like it. I have it on my TBR, but haven't got around yet to reading it.

I have tried to read a Terry Pratchett book before, but I think it was one in the middle of the series, therefore I struggled with it. I hope having the first book, will help me get into this series.

I have tried to read a Terry Pratchett book before, but I think it was one in the middle of the series, therefore I struggled with it. I hope having the first book, will help me get into this series.

x

It was the first Terry Pratchett book I read and then got into the series so I hope your experience will be positive too :).

Yes, I've seen quite a few of mixed feelings reviews of OCB  :unsure:. I think that book might stay on my TBR for quite a long time  :mellow:

Yes, I've seen quite a few of mixed feelings reviews of OCB  :unsure:. I think that book might stay on my TBR for quite a long time  :mellow:

I think this book is worth a read, if only to make your own mind up about it.

• 2 weeks later...

'Look Who it is!'- Alan Carr

Being a fan of the comedian Alan Carr, I thought I was going to enjoy this book. I found it readable, but disappointing. Some of the anicdotes during this book were amusing, but I found the almost underlining bitterness and spite Alan Carr felt, was really off putting. During the last half of the book, I almost felt like he was sneering people who have helped his career and his bragging to be very unpleasant. I even found some of the jokes he made about certain members of society to be offensive, whereas in general, I find his humour funny.

Usually when I read a book about the life of someone I admire, I end up feeling more admiration but with this book, I'm starting to dislike Alan Carr.

Hi Karen.....  i must say that although i do find Alan Carr quite funny there is something about him that kind of makes my skin crawl  :o

After reading his book, I feel like the person we see on screen doesn't match the person talking in this book.