Steve's Bookshelf 2014

Karsa Orlong

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the Amazon reviews of Barclay. :lol: The contrariness in my nature will still compel me to give him a go, though. :giggle2:

You think my reviews are mediocre? :o

No, I just knew what she'd meant in the first place. :lol: 

Those books you're craving look a bit SF-ish for my liking . . .

Four more books bought for 99p each (thanks to Sarah!) which I have just downloaded to my Kindle:

A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki

The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton

Harvest by Jim Crace

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

and one for 77p:

The Oracles of Troy (Adventures of Odysseus Book 4) by Glyn Iliffe  - naturally, I need to buy the first three books of this series, too!  :giggle2:

Four more books bought for 99p each (thanks to Sarah!) which I have just downloaded to my Kindle:

Harvest by Jim Crace

and one for 77p:

The Oracles of Troy (Adventures of Odysseus Book 4) by Glyn Iliffe  - naturally, I need to buy the first three books of this series, too!  :giggle2:

The Ruth Ozeki one looks really good ; I`m slightly disappointed that I didn`t get it cheaply now, but it would just`ve got covered in, erm, Kindle dust. ;)

The Ruth Ozeki one looks really good ; I`m slightly disappointed that I didn`t get it cheaply now, but it would just`ve got covered in, erm, Kindle dust. ;)

:lol:

To be honest, I looked at the first three when the Booker shortlist was announced and quite fancied all of them, so I would've ended up getting them at some point anyway.  Didn't seem much point in passing them up when they were 99p :shrug:

Of course, if you hadn't posted about the deal I wouldn't have known, so it's all your fault  :P  :giggle2:

How is a trilogy about Alexander the Great 'a bit SF'?   :giggle2:

Oh . . . I thought Asimov was an SF author, plus they were all silver and shiny and space-shippy-looking. :giggle2:

Harvest by Jim Crace

I think you need to go to therapy - you've bought more books already this year than the rest of the forum combined! :giggle2: I had a look at the Catton and the Tartt and was a bit intimidated - you're a braver man than I am! :D

Harvest by Jim Crace

and one for 77p:

How does the TBR pile feel about this?

How does the TBR pile feel about this?

Just about even - there's five going onto it, but six Barclays getting deleted from the Kindle  :banghead:   Just as well I didn't get the paperbacks - I couldn't bring myself to take them to the hospice shop, it'd be an insult to charity  :giggle2:

Oh . . . I thought Asimov was an SF author, plus they were all silver and shiny and space-shippy-looking. :giggle2:

x

The first set of books are by Asimov, the Foundation trilogy, they are SF. The second set is by a different author and they are about Alexander the Great (not SF) :).

:lol:

To be honest, I looked at the first three when the Booker shortlist was announced and quite fancied all of them, so I would've ended up getting them at some point anyway.  Didn't seem much point in passing them up when they were 99p :shrug:

Of course, if you hadn't posted about the deal I wouldn't have known, so it's all your fault  :P  :giggle2:

<< Cackles >> :giggle:

Great book! :smile:. Helps if you understand quantum physics in one bit of the book, but it's not essential.  I still don't get it re. quantum physics, but as Athena quoted to me when I was read the book, her QM tutor says "if you think you understand it, then you don't really"  :giggle2:

Just as well I didn't get the paperbacks - I couldn't bring myself to take them to the hospice shop, it'd be an insult to charity  :giggle2:

Someone else obviously didn't have your qualms - I got my matching set from a charity shop, £8 for five books. :lol:

x

The first set of books are by Asimov, the Foundation trilogy, they are SF. The second set is by a different author and they are about Alexander the Great (not SF) :).

Ahh, I see. :) Silly Laura! :giggle2:

Great book! :smile:. Helps if you understand quantum physics in one bit of the book, but it's not essential.  I still don't get it re. quantum physics, but as Athena quoted to me when I was read the book, her QM tutor says "if you think you understand it, then you don't really"  :giggle2:

I'll get Brian Cox to explain it to me :lol:

I'll get Brian Cox to explain it to me :lol:

He always confuses me .. I'm there up to a point and then whoosh .. over my head :blush2: I enjoyed watching Stargazing Live .. or at least most of the time I did .. but there was always lots I didn't understand and then I'd get irritated by their in-jokes about physics etc (they always get so childish and start giggling .. it's just like Springwatch) and get cross and start muttering about how they should be focusing on trying to sort the sh*t out in this world and stop looking for life on other planets which *shouts in a 'the Emperor's new clothes' type way* quite obviously DOES NOT EXIST!!!! :giggle:  :D  :smile2: 

My mum says Brian Cox is evil :giggle2: (which creases me up because he's just the sort of guy that most mothers love :D)

I enjoyed watching Stargazing Live .. or at least most of the time I did .. but there was always lots I didn't understand and then I'd get irritated by their in-jokes about physics etc (they always get so childish and start giggling .. it's just like Springwatch) and get cross and start muttering about how they should be focusing on trying to sort the sh*t out in this world and stop looking for life on other planets which *shouts in a 'the Emperor's new clothes' type way* quite obviously DOES NOT EXIST!!!! :giggle:  :D  :smile2: 

If you can prove that it doesn't exist I'll believe you :yes:  :giggle2:

I love Stargazing Live - I wish it was on more than just the three times  :smile:

He always confuses me .. I'm there up to a point and then whoosh .. over my head :blush2: I enjoyed watching Stargazing Live .. or at least most of the time I did .. but there was always lots I didn't understand and then I'd get irritated by their in-jokes about physics etc (they always get so childish and start giggling .. it's just like Springwatch) and get cross and start muttering about how they should be focusing on trying to sort the sh*t out in this world and stop looking for life on other planets which *shouts in a 'the Emperor's new clothes' type way* quite obviously DOES NOT EXIST!!!! :giggle:  :D  :smile2: 

:yes:  :she: But I'm worried, that you Mum thinks that Prof Brian is evil? Does she know something that he is hiding himself from the rest of the earthworld   :eek: ?!