pontalba's 2014 Reading List

pontalba

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't that based on an actual true story ? I thought it was but I could be wrong . Won't be the first or last time that has happened !

Yes, I'm interested in the history of the 'real Dogtown', but I haven't found that much so far, but a book In the Heart of Cape Ann, or The Story of Dogtown by Charles E. Mann (Proctor Brothers, Publishers; Gloucester, Mass.), 1897 seems to be an actual history it. There are some external links via Wiki, and they are interesting, the snippets I've read so far. I do love it when books lead me on to other subjects  :smile: .

Marie

There's also a nonfiction book called Dogtown: Death and Enchantment in a New England Ghost Town  --by Elyssa East .

Not sure it'd be anything you're interested in, but thought I'd tell you in case you hadn't heard of it .

New, second hand, cheap copy of The Last Days of Dogtown by Anita Diamant arrived Saturday. :blush2:  :lurker:

I love it when Amazon has a Marketplace copy of a book that is "filled by Amazon".  Two day delivery. Free.  

Great Deal ...... & two days delivery is pretty good  :smile:

Marie

There's also a nonfiction book called Dogtown: Death and Enchantment in a New England Ghost Town  --by Elyssa East .

Not sure it'd be anything you're interested in, but thought I'd tell you in case you hadn't heard of it .

Thanks julie, as I'm interested in the history of Dogtown, or other such communities that have been, and now there is Dogtown: Death and Enchantment in a New England Ghost Town in Amazon.uk.

Thanks, all. :)  I was really interested in Dogtown, as I've never heard of that part of history.  Completely new to me. Love it!  :D

I haven't been on much as my back has been giving me fits.  Finally went to the chiropractor on Wednesday.  Yesterday it was worse, par for the course after an adjustment of a long standing outage.  But it's better today.  I'd had a bad headache from it a few days before hand. 

The problem is that I have at least 3 places that I've had injuries, so when one "Goes out", it affects the rest, eventually if I don't go to the chiropractor right away.  I let this go too long. 

I'm still a third of the way into The Secret History, and three quarters through Veritas by Wm. Lashner, so I'm still reading! :D

Oh, I did finish that sci-fi short story book too, will put up some sort of review later.  It was up and down though.

Veritas by William Lashner 4/5

Ancient theft of business, murder, secret graves in the garden, recovered sections of a diary all fuel this multi-generational, dueling family feud. Oh, and lets not forget the Mob connected attorney that falls into this pit of vipers. Victor Carl is in over his head, and he knows it. He is trying to find out who is murdering off a family, and in conjunction attempting to extricate himself from his Mob connections. Carl is not exactly the picture of morality himself, but he tries to mostly do the right thing. And, if that right thing involves lining his own pockets, well, all the better.

Lashner certainly has a sense of humor, albeit a twisted one. Veritas is the last thing that is on the minds of any of the inhabitants of the vast Reddman/Shaw estate. Lying and generational obfuscation seem to be the order of the day, here.

Philadelphia to Belize, Carl slowly finds his way to the real truth of the matter, but will the truth win out? Depends on your version of the truth.

Recommended.

I hope you feel better with your back soon.

I have a liniment spray I use on mine when it plays up. Takes the edge off.

Hope you`re feeling a little better today, Kate. :empathy:  :smile:

Thanks, LP,  I am better, sore, but better. :) 

Kate

Sorry to hear you've had a bum back. Those make your whole body so TIRED ,don't they ? Sure hope you're feeling better now !

Thanks, Julie.  It's true, as you well know, any sort of constant pain is wearing.   It made it difficult to sit at the computer, even worse! :D

I hope you feel better with your back soon.

I have a liniment spray I use on mine when it plays up. Takes the edge off.

Thanks, Devi, I am sore, but it's a healing sort of sore.  I have been putting ice, as directed by the chiropractor, to cut the inflammation.  It really helps, and at night I have Bio-Freeze that I rub into the painful places.  When the Tylenol helps, I know its on the mend.  Hah, nothing much touches it when it hasn't been adjusted yet. 

Ordinarily I don't post a review of a current Reading Circle choice, but the month is almost over, so I thought I'd go ahead and do so. :)

The Secret History by Donna Tartt    4/5

A twisted tale of murder, murder in the first degree. Planned, target stalked, plan executed by some of the most despicable and selfish characters I've run into. Made all the more so by their superficial innocence, extreme intelligence and youth.

Taught in a hothouse environment, secluded away from the rest of the University these students flourish at their Classical Greek studies. They slip into the dead language easily, both on paper and vocally. These are talented and brilliant young people and should have had a brilliant career ahead of them. Unfortunately they slip into more than just the language, they wish to become.....what? One with the Muses? The gods? Did they even know?

Hubris takes over and a terrible crime takes place, whether by accident or I wonder, design. In the end, I'm not sure, nor are they, I believe. But the cover up of that crime is even more heinous. And the aftermath exacts retribution from each of the participants.

Tartt is a wonderfully talented writer. She tells a Gothic tale that should take place in hot and steamy Southern forests, but is just as real and terrifying in New England. Her descriptions of grief struck parents is heartbreaking in every telling detail.

Recommended.

A good review, pontalba (and I always love the word hubris too)  :smile: . The Goldfinch is the first Tartt novel I've read, and it is wonderful to read.

LOL, thanks Marie. I've liked both the Tartts I've read, and am now curious about the other one...ummmm, can't think of the name right now though.  I found lots of similarities in The Goldfinch and The Secret History.  I've seen on the discussion thread though that some that liked these didn't care for the other one. 

Honestly the cover of that one (unremembered name.....) puts me off, even if it is on the shelf here.  :blush2:

Glad you enjoyed The Secret History Pontalba ...... Donna Tartt is someone who i'd love to talk to, she'd make an interesting dinner party guest methinks  :D

Yes, I agree.  :yes:  Definitely different!

Hey Guys

On the Donna Tartt book, Kate, I'm like you, I can never remember the name of the other Tartt book. I read Secret History back when it first came out and loved it . I have Goldfinch on my Kindle ,waiting in line ,as usual, like a lot of others .

Her other book is called The Little Friend :

41IcMnwo3hL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Which I always get confused with The Little Stranger by Sara Waters :

51E0%2Ba9jyTL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arro

I guess since they are both female authors and both have Little in the title ?  I HAVE Little Stranger, maybe due to recommendations from someone in here ? But don't have Little Friend . They both have around the same rating , about 3 stars or so .

Maybe some of us need to have a "LITTLE" book read and read both of the littles to see which one we like .   :)

Edited by julie

That's it, Julie!  That cover really creeps me out!  lol

I know I'll read it at some point though. 

Creeping along here with the sleet and the news says snow....we haven't seen any snow right on our place.  But we have had icicles!  And there is ice on some stuff in the yard.  Honestly, Southerners just don't know how to deal with snow and ice.  Charles had to laugh at the hullabaloo over the whole thing.  But really, the fact that there is no infrastructure to salt or sand the roadways is crucial.  That's why everything shuts down. 

I saw a banner online on NOLA.com (the local newspaper site) the other day  "SNEAUX DAY!"  Nutty people!  :giggle2:

We've had down to about 17F and hardly got above freezing yesterday, maybe by one degree.  Oy.  But I saw on accuweather that we will be up in the 70's by the weekend!  And down again next week.  Rollercoaster weather, wheeeeeeeee!

Kate

I figured it'd even be cold down there for you guys. Our schools have been close all week. It was 25 below wind chill this AM . We have about 5 or 6 inches of snow that isn't going ANYWHERE til it warms up .

I'm sick of winter already. Where are the blue skies and tweeting birds ?

I bet it is hard down there for you guys when it gets that cold , but Charlie is more than used to it I'll bet, living up here ,he would have seen some doozy snows and cold in his time .

How's the back ?

Oh, you and me both, Julie!  I dislike winter at it's best.  Much less now!  Yikes.

There are slippery places on the walkways, and ice in-between the stepping stones near the house, but when I went to get the mail (the driveway is a tenth of a mile long), the roadway was dry.  No ice there.  Driveway is gravel. 

It's supposed to warm up a little tomorrow by afternoon, but down to 17F tonight.

I hope your weather breaks too, Julie!  Having to stay in is no fun. 

Back is about holding it's own....when I sit too long at the computer, it starts telling me off. :)

Ordinarily I don't post a review of a current Reading Circle choice, but the month is almost over, so I thought I'd go ahead and do so. :)

The Secret History by Donna Tartt    4/5

A twisted tale of murder, murder in the first degree. Planned, target stalked, plan executed by some of the most despicable and selfish characters I've run into. Made all the more so by their superficial innocence, extreme intelligence and youth.

Taught in a hothouse environment, secluded away from the rest of the University these students flourish at their Classical Greek studies. They slip into the dead language easily, both on paper and vocally. These are talented and brilliant young people and should have had a brilliant career ahead of them. Unfortunately they slip into more than just the language, they wish to become.....what? One with the Muses? The gods? Did they even know?

Hubris takes over and a terrible crime takes place, whether by accident or I wonder, design. In the end, I'm not sure, nor are they, I believe. But the cover up of that crime is even more heinous. And the aftermath exacts retribution from each of the participants.

Tartt is a wonderfully talented writer. She tells a Gothic tale that should take place in hot and steamy Southern forests, but is just as real and terrifying in New England. Her descriptions of grief struck parents is heartbreaking in every telling detail.

Recommended.

This was such a great review! It makes me want to read the book, and I think I will be adding it to my wishlist. Hopefully I can get some new books soon  :doowapstart:

This was such a great review! It makes me want to read the book, and I think I will be adding it to my wishlist. Hopefully I can get some new books soon  :doowapstart:

:blush2:   Thank you! 

That is a very creepy looking cover... :hide: .  Mind you, I was never very fond of dolls as a child, much more into teddy bears... :giggle:

Same here.  When I was a kid I couldn't understand what the neighborhood girls loved so much about their dolls.  Especially when there were bikes to ride, books to read, trees to climb....you know, the good stuff!  :giggle2: