pontalba's 2014 Reading List

pontalba

Thanks, Sari! :)  I hope, but can see, yours is wonderful too. :)

:D   I was fairly sporadic in posting for many of those years.  And the story of how I came to the forum is funny.  Husband and I used to post on another forum fairly consistently and had many great discussions there.  This was before we were married.  We had quite a few Nabokov threads. 

Anyhow.  One of the moderators over there, a male that was.....lets just say that was very....acerbic.  :)  He found this forum and joined, and was, as I recall, rather critical of someone here.  I don't remember all the details, such as names. Best not to in any case.  Michelle banned him, and he deserved it, as his attitude was not consistent with the vibe Michelle was engendering here.  Anyhow, I was curious about this place and joined.  Posted on and off for several years, then didn't for a while, then came back and found more that I felt compatible with, so stayed. And I'm glad I did!  :yes:

There were only a few hundred members, I believe at my joining.  But I'm not sure when Michelle started the forum.

My reading habits have been pretty consistent for the last 10 years or so, so no big change there. But I've always been a reader.   I am able to read more now that I don't have the responsibility of caring for my Aunt,  that I had for many years.  My time is pretty much my own (ours) :).

Memories sometimes fade with age. :) I also was a member of the forum that Pontalba refers to. As I remember it Michelle actually made several posts on "that" forum and they did not treat her nice. I defended her on "that" forum and shortly after I joined this forum. After I was here a short while I told pontalba, paul, sofia, dogmatix, and a few more members (poppy may be one of the others) about this forum and recommended that they join. About  6+ or so of them joined this forum. Some have stayed and a few left for reasons unknown. Anyhow, that is how I remember it.

There is much more that went on in that time frame but it is best to let sleeping dogs lay / lie.

pontalba - I have read all the Larry McMurtry books on you list. If I may, I would like to recommend you read Lonesome Dove first of the 3 books.

Edited by muggle not

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kate

I figured you'd eventually cave in and buy a few books . :)  No big deal, though. You did very well ! Especially since part were pre-orders . Glad you picked up the McMurtry books. Do you have all 4 in the set now ? And did you say you had Read LD before ?

I'd agree with Muggle , LD would probably stand out as the best ,but they won't be in order that way . It's ok ,though, because I think you'll get to know the main characters much better starting with it, then going back and reading the others in order . I've read all but one ( first one in the series, Comanche Moon ,) ,but have them all on my Kindle and would like to read them all again in order this time .

You're in for a treat if you have yet to read them !

julie, on 16 Jan 2014 - 03:29 AM, said:julie, on 16 Jan 2014 - 03:29 AM, said:

Kate

I figured you'd eventually cave in and buy a few books . :)

Me too, but I gasped when I saw the pile.  Just turn my back for a minute . . .  :)

But OK, as you say.  They will all get read.  Twice.

Edited by Paul

Well, here is the list of additions to the TBR stack(s):

Dead Man's Walk by Larry McMurtry  }

Comanche Moon  by Larry McMurtry  }  already had a copy of LD, but decided it was best to have matching covers. :angel_not:

Lonesome Dove  by Larry McMurtry   }  (of course, I blame muggle) :angel_not:  :P  :giggle2:

The Poems of Catullus, a new translation by a New Orleans poet, Joseph Bienvenu

The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley (pre-order from last year!)

Hollow City by Ransom Riggs (pre-order from last year!)

But you should see my Wish List!  :angel_not:  :angel_not:

I've never heard of Larry McMurty so had a quick look on Amazon.I thought those old cowboy books had fallen out of fashion but i like the look of The Last Picture Show i shall await your reviews of his other books though before i add it to my wishlist  :D

One of my girls got Miss Peregines Home For Peculiar Children for Christmas & she's already read it & added Hollow City to her wishlist  :smile:

Memories sometimes fade with age. :) I also was a member of the forum that Pontalba refers to. As I remember it Michelle actually made several posts on "that" forum and they did not treat her nice. I defended her on "that" forum and shortly after I joined this forum. After I was here a short while I told pontalba, paul, sofia, dogmatix, and a few more members (poppy may be one of the others) about this forum and recommended that they join. About  6+ or so of them joined this forum. Some have stayed and a few left for reasons unknown. Anyhow, that is how I remember it.

There is much more that went on in that time frame but it is best to let sleeping dogs lay / lie.

pontalba - I have read all the Larry McMurtry books on you list. If I may, I would like to recommend you read Lonesome Dove first of the 3 books.

I left 'There' well over two years ago and never looked back.  Nor do I keep in contact with anyone there (besides several that are here now).  People & interests change I guess.  Besides, I'd follow muggle not anywhere ;)

Well, here is the list of additions to the TBR stack(s):

Dead Man's Walk by Larry McMurtry  }

Comanche Moon  by Larry McMurtry  }  already had a copy of LD, but decided it was best to have matching covers. :angel_not:

Lonesome Dove  by Larry McMurtry   }  (of course, I blame muggle) :angel_not:  :P  :giggle2:

The Poems of Catullus, a new translation by a New Orleans poet, Joseph Bienvenu

The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley (pre-order from last year!)

Hollow City by Ransom Riggs (pre-order from last year!)

I've never read any LMcM books, but I watched the series of Lonesome Dove so many times, and I adore it! 

You have got a great haul there  :smile:

I left 'There' well over two years ago and never looked back.  Nor do I keep in contact with anyone there (besides several that are here now).  People & interests change I guess.  Besides, I'd follow muggle not anywhere ;)

Well i have to admit i'm burning with curiosty as to where 'There' is, sounds like the darker side of book forums  :bat2:

You are full-of-it. :) You only like to be on the same forum as me because you never tire of beating the heck out of me in the NCAA March Madness Tournaments. Except this year the tables will be turned.

Actually, I joined the forum on June 20, 2006 and you joined on June 21, 2006. Sofia is probably my longest running friend on book club forums.

I've never read any LMcM books, but I watched the series of Lonesome Dove so many times, and I adore it! 

The Lonesome Dove TV series is one of my all time favorites mini-series. Anyone that hasn't seen it is really missing a great series although I do recommend reading the book first.

pontalba, you and paul are fortunate to have those books ahead of you for reading.

Indeed. :)

Actually, it's a tetralogy, apparently.  I'm thinking, I'm thinking.....I'll make up my mind when I come to it, I suppose.  Although you and Julie are probably right. 

Kate

I figured you'd eventually cave in and buy a few books . :)  No big deal, though. You did very well ! Especially since part were pre-orders . Glad you picked up the McMurtry books. Do you have all 4 in the set now ? And did you say you had Read LD before ?

I'd agree with Muggle , LD would probably stand out as the best ,but they won't be in order that way . It's ok ,though, because I think you'll get to know the main characters much better starting with it, then going back and reading the others in order . I've read all but one ( first one in the series, Comanche Moon ,) ,but have them all on my Kindle and would like to read them all again in order this time .

You're in for a treat if you have yet to read them !

Despite the fact I've had LD for decades.....I haven't read it.  I have an old mass market around here, somewhere.  I'd found, a few years ago, an attractive trade paperback at a Library Sale, so picked that up.  I found that one the other day but when we were in B&N, I saw the set.  Well, minus one, Streets of Laredo (which I have on order at Amazon).  For some reason the SoL cover doesn't match the others, but at least is the same size.   

I hope you enjoy your new books :)!

Thanks! :D

Me too, but I gasped when I saw the pile.  Just turn my back for a minute . . .  :)

But OK, as you say.  They will all get read.  Twice.

Oh, Right!  My funny honey. :D  :angel_not:

:cool:

I got this yesterday...so excited :D

I really enjoyed the first one, Miss P.  and was a little surprised to find it was a YA.  Really well done.  I saw mentioned somewhere that the quality of YAs had vastly improved, and I can see that is certainly so!

Hurray for the new books ! :D

I read the first Flavia De Luce book, but just didn`t get round to ordering the second in the series. I`ve downloaded the sample for The Hangman`s Bag now and shall take a looksie. ;)

Oh, great!  I love the series.  I've seen it compared to the old Nancy Drew series.  But really, Flavia deals with much more angsty sort of situations.  And the last one had a real cliff hanger!  I mean a Cliff Hanger!

I saw the series as well, and loved it.  Robert Duval was fantastic. :)

Well i have to admit i'm burning with curiosty as to where 'There' is, sounds like the darker side of book forums  :bat2:

Some things are better not known. IMO, it's a dead zone.

Actually, I joined the forum on June 20, 2006 and you joined on June 21, 2006. Sofia is probably my longest running friend on book club forums.

Yup.  you were the very first to greet me so warmly..I've never forgotten  :friends3:  :friends0:  :flowers2:

And beating your a** at the NCAA helps a bit too ;)  lol

I am excited for you and Charlie to both read the whole Lonesome Dove set . You can go in any order you want ,but I think LD is by far the best, only for the fact that you get to know the characters really well in it . All of them are good , since McMurtry doesn't know how to write a bad book .

I LOVE Gus .. he is my all time favorite  . CUTE and so funny !!!

Muggle

Can you remember what the Latin words he had on the sign stood for ? I had to look it up once as I couldn't remember ,

The Lonesome Dove TV series is one of my all time favorites mini-series. Anyone that hasn't seen it is really missing a great series although I do recommend reading the book first.

I was brought upon TV Westerns in the 70's (The Virginian, The High Chaparral and Alias Smith and Jones are my fond memories). My Dad loved westerns, and Lonesome Dove was his favourite. Robert Duvall was superb as Gus.

I saw the series as well, and loved it.  Robert Duval was fantastic. :)

I LOVE Gus .. he is my all time favorite  . CUTE and so funny !!!

He was wonderful!  :smile:

Stoner by John Williams  5/5

How rare is an honorable man? A man that does not follow the crowd, that is honest in his dealings with others, even to his own detriment. I found William Stoner to be such a man. Ordinary in origins, perhaps, but extraordinary in what counted. A man that put one foot in front of the other, throughout his life, doing what his conscience dictated.

Inarticulate until he found his footing in teaching what he loved, he came from the unlikeliest of backgrounds to University. Arriving for the first time, he knew he was Home.

An interesting man, a capable man. A man that dealt with the hard blows and unfairness that Life handed him with grace and dignity. A true man.

Recommended

I seem to see this book everywhere I go lately - I think it's been in the window display of every bookshop I've seen at some point in the last few months, and lots of coverage on Twitter.  Sounds like it's been worth the promotion if it's a good read.  Adding to wish list now :)

What, literally then ?? :giggle2:

Hah!!  Well, if I answer, it'll be a spoiler.  But.  Maybe. In a manner of speaking. :readingtwo:  :cat:

I seem to see this book everywhere I go lately - I think it's been in the window display of every bookshop I've seen at some point in the last few months, and lots of coverage on Twitter.  Sounds like it's been worth the promotion if it's a good read.  Adding to wish list now :)

Great!  I hope you enjoy it when you get to it.  :)

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith aka J.K. Rowling 3.5/5

I like detective stories, and have read a lot of them. Having only read one of Rowling's Potter series, I didn't know what to expect.

The first half or so was a bit disappointing, with what I considered a naïve, overly descriptive brand of writing. I'm sure it was only Rowling sort of finding her way, trying to get into the groove of "noir", and not succeeding very well. But there was something there, the bones of a good story, I thought. Her detective, Cormoran Strike, is an interesting character. He is slowly developed, his past brought out bits at the time. But Rowling's introductions of the characters were, to my eye, awkward, almost sophomoric in tone at times. I would have appreciated a bit more in the way of twists in the plot. But it did keep me reading.

But, about halfway, or a bit more through, things started to gel and the pace picked up and developed into a really interesting story. There is always a problem with first of a series (am I wrong in thinking it a series?). The introduction of characters, their quirks and foibles. Integrating them with the plot, making connections by showing, without telling.

I think this can be an excellent series, there is a great deal of potential there. It can't have been easy making the genre transition, but I definitely think she's got something good going. I'll certainly look for a sequel. :)

I was glad I'd gotten it on one of the Kindle Daily Deals, not too long ago.  We have her other non-Potter book, Casual Vacancy.  I want to find it and read that one.  And, of course one day, the Harry Potter books. :) 

New, second hand, cheap copy of The Last Days of Dogtown by Anita Diamant arrived Saturday. :blush2:  :lurker:

I love it when Amazon has a Marketplace copy of a book that is "filled by Amazon".  Two day delivery. Free.  

New, second hand, cheap copy of The Last Days of Dogtown by Anita Diamant arrived Saturday. :blush2:  :lurker:

I love it when Amazon has a Marketplace copy of a book that is "filled by Amazon".  Two day delivery. Free.  

That's a very good second-hand experience :smile: ,  and now I hope that you enjoy The Last Days of Dogtown too. I really was hooked.