pontalba's 2014 Reading List

pontalba

I went and looked yesterday, Sarah, and it wasn't on anymore.  But thanks for the heads up, maybe I was just too late.  :(

That`s very odd, `cos under ` formats`, it still says free for the Kindle edition. The buying clicky has vanished now ; maybe it`ll appear again ?  :blink:

Or maybe the Amazon site realised that I`m in the UK and has hidden the clicky ?  :smile:

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh! Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage! I hope you enjoy it, I can't wait to hear what you think of it. The title of the novel alone makes one want to read it, doesn't i? :blush:

Congratulations on breaking your record and reading over 100 novels! :readingtwo:   :flowers2:    That's a great accomplishment! And a whole lot of books... If you were to take a picture of all the books, and looked at it in the beginning of the year, do you reckon you could read them all in one year... :)

That`s very odd, `cos under ` formats`, it still says free for the Kindle edition. The buying clicky has vanished now ; maybe it`ll appear again ?  :blink:

Or maybe the Amazon site realised that I`m in the UK and has hidden the clicky ?  :smile:

They said they were out of stock when I clicked on it, and didn't have a BUY button.  I suppose Amazon had an attack of the "stranges"  Oy.  But thanks for the info anyhow.  I'll be on the lookout for it again, or maybe purchase a second hand copy if I can find one at a good price.  :)

Oooh! Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage! I hope you enjoy it, I can't wait to hear what you think of it. The title of the novel alone makes one want to read it, doesn't i? :blush:

Congratulations on breaking your record and reading over 100 novels! :readingtwo:   :flowers2:    That's a great accomplishment! And a whole lot of books... If you were to take a picture of all the books, and looked at it in the beginning of the year, do you reckon you could read them all in one year... :)

Agreed!  I just couldn't pass it up, finally. :) And thanks, I'm happy with my final total, 109, I think.  If I finish the one I'm halfway through now.  lol

It's funny, but I've been at pretty much a stand still in reading the last couple of weeks.  Again.  :eek:

No, I don't think I'd have thought it possible, I have to admit!

Of course we've been watching a lot of VCR tapes of the original Upstairs, Downstairs series....1971-1975 I think it was.  I saw it when it was first broadcast, but had forgotten many of the details.  I remembered only the broad overview.  We just finished the five seasons of it last night.  Really superior.  It started out slowly, but as it went on, it was just so encompassing of the society of that time frame...1903 through 1930.  We had the Edwardian Era, the Titanic, WWI, the Great (economic) Crash of 1929.  Just marvelous!  The actors were all so wonderfully alive and vibrant.  Really portrayed the times beautifully!  Charles had not ever seen it, and absolutely loved it as well, boy was I relieved! :D

Edited by pontalba

Love the photo! There's something beautiful about a stack of books  :smile:

The memoirs of Harry S. Truman looks very interesting. Curious to hear how you like it when you get around to it. 

Love the photo! There's something beautiful about a stack of books  :smile:

The memoirs of Harry S. Truman looks very interesting. Curious to hear how you like it when you get around to it. 

Thanks!  I've read a little in it, and it sounds just like him. :)  Straight from the shoulder.

When I read the whole thing I'll post about it.  I think I'll like it a lot.

Congratulations on reading 109 books :readingtwo::D!

Thanks, Gaia!

Tee hee.  :giggle2:

Are you going to be watching anymore classic TV ? Like The Avengers, for instance ?  :smile:

Oh, I wish I had The Avengers on DVD around here!  Good idea, I'll have to check out Amazon Prime for it.  That was one of my favorites.....especially the ones with Diana Rigg.  Heck, I wanted to be Emma Peel!  Actually I've pulled one series from the shelf, VCR tapes again.  It's an American Civil War epic....North and South http://www.amazon.com/North-South-Complete-David-Carradine/dp/B004EXWGIS/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1420056143&sr=1-1&keywords=north+and+south+miniseries  .

Edited by pontalba

Last night I finished The Polish Boxer by Eduardo Halfon.  I'd say it's a 4/5 at least, possibly 5/5 after it sinks in a bit more.

A series of vignettes, or short stories not necessarily in linear order well told of the protagonist's life, whose name just happens to be Eduardo Halfon. :)  While the bulk of his life is not told, the important turning points are summed up in these lusciously told stories.  Halfon's prose is just flowing and really gorgeous.  As it turns out the Polish boxer of the title comes from  his grandfather, one that survived Auschwitz concentration camp.  He is not the boxer, but the boxer was instrumental to his survival.

A quote, page 106....

My father's family rejected us.  I'm a Gypsy who can't be a Gypsy and a Serb who can't be a Serb.  What's a boy to do, Eduardito, when he's excluded by one group and excluded by the other and detested by both?  He withdraws, that's what he does.  He retreats into himself. And that, no doubt, is my greatest talent.  Not music, but the ability to close myself off, ignore people and, what's more, get people to ignore me.  It's not that I become invisible, as invisibility still implies presence, observation, being a witness, even if a distant, disinterested witness. I can absent myself entirely. Eliminate myself entirely. Not like a corpse, but more like someone who never existed. A world without me.

Highly recommended.

So.  To sum up, it was a great reading year.  I'm happy with my total of 109 books read.  I'd hoped to read at least 100, so I did a bit better.  Satisfaction reigns in that area at least.  As far as any challenges I posted at the beginning of the year, nada, none, nil.  Oh well, I'll try for it in 2015. :)

Thanks to one and all that posted here, making me feel welcome and happy in posting.  Good friends, all. :)  :friends3:

I'll filtch my post from Kylies thread "The BCF Book Awards 2014" for my favorites.....http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/13200-the-bcf-book-awards-2014/

Your favourite read of the year?

The Unvanquished by William Faulkner 5/5, and since no one can eat just one, The Martian by Andy Weir, or maybe Stoner by John Williams.....decisions, decisions, decisions!! :D

Your favourite author of the year?

favorite new author Terry Hayes who wrote I Am Pilgrim who should be listed in the above category as well. :D  Old-time favorite, William Faulkner

Your most read author of the year?

Oddly enough, not a favorite, Blake Crouch, author of the Wayward Pines series.

Your favourite book cover of the year?

The book you abandoned (if there was more than one, the one you read least of)?

ummmmm.....

The book that most disappointed you?

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt - It turned into a travelogue of Savanah, Ga.  Not the true story of the man I'd hoped for from the synopsis. And I must add for fiction The Sisterhood by Helen Bryan.  It turned out to be not as advertised as a poster on Constant Reader made it out to be.  It was nothing but a historical soap opera.  And not even a particularly interesting one at that.

The funniest book of the year?

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

Your favourite literary character this year?

Cl-Cl-Clau----Claudius

Your favourite children's book this year?

N/A

Your favourite classic of the year?

I suppose that depends on one's definition of "classic".  Hmmm Would the Bond books be considered "classic"?  I think so, actually.  But I have to name Stoner by John Williams as my favorite classic.  to me it deserves the classification. :)

Your favourite non-fiction book this year?

The Great New Orleans Kidnapping Case by Michael A. Ross

Your favourite biography this year?

Autobio actually, by Robert Vaughn, A Fortunate Life.

Your favourite collection of short stories this year?

Not finished yet, but I'd say The Polish Boxer by Eduardo Halfon

Your favourite poetry collection this year?

:( didn't read a whole collection.

Your favourite illustrated book of the year?

none read.

Your favourite publisher of the year?

I don't actually pay attention to the name of the publisher.

Your favourite audiobook of the year?

Don't listen, they put me to sleep.  :D

Your favourite re-read of the year?

I, Claudius and Claudius the God by Robert Graves

I suppose that really is it! :D

Edited by pontalba

Agreed!  I just couldn't pass it up, finally. And thanks, I'm happy with my final total, 109, I think.  If I finish the one I'm halfway through now.  lol

Wow you pushed way past 100 novels, congratulations! :D 

Of course we've been watching a lot of VCR tapes of the original Upstairs, Downstairs series....1971-1975 I think it was.  I saw it when it was first broadcast, but had forgotten many of the details.  I remembered only the broad overview.  We just finished the five seasons of it last night.  Really superior.  It started out slowly, but as it went on, it was just so encompassing of the society of that time frame...1903 through 1930.  We had the Edwardian Era, the Titanic, WWI, the Great (economic) Crash of 1929.  Just marvelous!  The actors were all so wonderfully alive and vibrant.  Really portrayed the times beautifully!  Charles had not ever seen it, and absolutely loved it as well, boy was I relieved! :D

I haven't watched the show, but it's always a bit scary when you're introducing a TV series you've loved to someone who you love and whom you want to love the show, too! I'm glad Charles reacted appropriately :D 

Your favourite publisher of the year?

I don't actually pay attention to the name of the publisher.

I don't pay attention to publishers, either. I'm always surprised to see this question in the list. I don't know if it's laziness or just ... I don't know what it is, but I'm always surprised that some people on here pay so close attention to publishers and can easily name more than a dozen of them and tell me what kinds of books they publish. :o I mean how do they manage to do that as well as keep tabs on the titles of the books :lol::blush: 

I don't pay attention to publishers, either. I'm always surprised to see this question in the list. I don't know if it's laziness or just ... I don't know what it is, but I'm always surprised that some people on here pay so close attention to publishers and can easily name more than a dozen of them and tell me what kinds of books they publish. :o I mean how do they manage to do that as well as keep tabs on the titles of the books :lol::blush:

I agree with you both! The only way I'd know is by asking Book Collector :P (for the books I owned that I read in 2014). I don't really know exactly which book is published by whom, though I do remember some and I do recognise some logos on the spines of books and such. But if you asked me, this book you own, who is it published by (without showing me the book), most likely I wouldn't know!

Wow you pushed way past 100 novels, congratulations! :D 

I haven't watched the show, but it's always a bit scary when you're introducing a TV series you've loved to someone who you love and whom you want to love the show, too! I'm glad Charles reacted appropriately :D 

Thanks, Sari! :) 

Yes, especially as the first season, or at least most of it as I recall is in black and white.  I googled and found out that the reason behind that was a dispute to do with the Unions camera people.  Color was not universal at the time, but was becoming more and more prevalent. 

I agree with you both! The only way I'd know is by asking Book Collector :P (for the books I owned that I read in 2014). I don't really know exactly which book is published by whom, though I do remember some and I do recognise some logos on the spines of books and such. But if you asked me, this book you own, who is it published by (without showing me the book), most likely I wouldn't know!

Re publishers, of course I have to say that there are imprints.......darned if I can even think of the names....that will get my attention in the store.  As you say, Gaia, the logos are the recognizable aspect!

Oh, Penguin and Black Lizard......I'll always take a second look at those titles. 

I think the reason I'm conscious of publishers is because I follow them on Twitter to keep abreast of when new books from my favourite authors are coming out, so I'm more aware of them come the end of the year book list questions.  And then there's always those beautiful Persephone dove grey books that look gorgeous on my bookshelves … can't help but remember them! :)

I'm glad the publisher question is there, although I've noticed that not many people answer it! For me, the publisher of more recent books is not particularly important, but it is for classic books. For example, I love the Vintage classics. They all have beautiful cover art and red spines. I also like the Penguin Modern Classics series (black covers) and Penguin Great Ideas (small classics with gorgeous covers). I know that I can expect good quality and reasonable prices with these books. And I love Gollancz's SF Masterworks series. For me, they are pretty much guaranteed good reads.

Re publishers, of course I have to say that there are imprints.......darned if I can even think of the names....that will get my attention in the store.  As you say, Gaia, the logos are the recognizable aspect!

I agree, the logos! :D 

I think the reason I'm conscious of publishers is because I follow them on Twitter to keep abreast of when new books from my favourite authors are coming out, so I'm more aware of them come the end of the year book list questions.  And then there's always those beautiful Persephone dove grey books that look gorgeous on my bookshelves … can't help but remember them! :)

That's a good point, keeping tab of your favorite authors' possible upcoming releases. 

But you know, not until rather recently I didn't even realize that some authors stick to the same publisher :blush: If I'd started thinking about it, I would've realized it, but because it just wasn't something that came to mind to wonder about, I just never made the connection. So that's why I've never realized it might be a good thing to pay attention to different publishers' websites :blush:

I'm glad the publisher question is there, although I've noticed that not many people answer it! For me, the publisher of more recent books is not particularly important, but it is for classic books. For example, I love the Vintage classics. They all have beautiful cover art and red spines. I also like the Penguin Modern Classics series (black covers) and Penguin Great Ideas (small classics with gorgeous covers). I know that I can expect good quality and reasonable prices with these books. And I love Gollancz's SF Masterworks series. For me, they are pretty much guaranteed good reads.

I get what you mean, but that's a bit different, because those are new editions of old books. I mean I'm aware of Vintage classics and stuff, and I recognize the covers and stuff. But with publishers that publish new books, it's different. They are unknown authors and never-heard-of titles. If that makes sense. Like you said, the publisher of more recent books doesn't really play into your book habits as much.

Edited by frankie

But you know, not until rather recently I didn't even realize that some authors stick to the same publisher :blush: If I'd started thinking about it, I would've realized it, but because it just wasn't something that came to mind to wonder about, I just never made the connection. So that's why I've never realized it might be a good thing to pay attention to different publishers' websites :blush:

I prefer it when authors stick to the same publisher. Some authors I own books of, their books are published by a variety of publishers and thus the covers and sometimes also the book sizes, don't match.

I prefer it when authors stick to the same publisher. Some authors I own books of, their books are published by a variety of publishers and thus the covers and sometimes also the book sizes, don't match.

Ahh, now that's the best argument for using the same publisher, imo.  It really annoys me when the set of books on a shelf don't match. 

And it's true that some publishers just have more appealing covers and binding. 

But I still don't consciously "know" which publisher is publishing what author.  :blush2:   Even if a particular one draws the eye. :)