Chrissy's Reading In 2014

Chrissy

I still haven't read The Lost Symbol, even though I think I may have even pre-ordered it at the time... I was so looking forward to it, but then never got around to it :rolleyes: And now Brown's already published another Langdon novel... I'm happy you enjoyed it :) And I want to know what your Mom thinks of it! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mum's enjoying it so far Frankie! :D

2) Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

3) Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

4) Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

I happened upon a re read of this Victorian set Shadowhunter trilogy. I do enjoy this easy reading series, with just the right amount of action and ingenuity. I could do with a little less of the angst ridden romance, but it is sweetly depicted and the epilogue is touching. These books were a nice balance alongside the darkness to be found in my current read of 'Let The Right One In', to be completed soon. :smile:

Oh sorry to jump back a little bit - I haven't read The Lost Symbol either, and I had no idea he had a new Langdon book out! There was so much hullabaloo ober The Lost Symbol and I haven't heard a peep about the new one, funny how that goes! I must actually try re-read A&D and TDC too, I loved those when I was a teenager.

The books are well paced and keep you interested, even if you have to (majorly at times) suspend your belief. Although I do recall enjoying 'The Lost Symbol', I did enjoy 'Inferno' more. :smile:

5) Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

A dark and disturbing story that centres on the developing relationship between two lonely souls, the bullied Oskar and the odd Eli. Graphic and disturbing at times this is not a comfortable read, but you end up caring quite deeply about the two. The secondary characters bring life to the bleak Swedish landscape with their individual frailties and idiosyncrasies, and the relationships between them. This is a book that examines obsession, loyalty, abandonment, love and the dark underbelly that can be found in any country. Despite murders, aggression, confrontations and often very dark scenes, this is a startlingly good read, with surprising wit and an undercurrent that compels you to find out how things will unfold.

5) Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

A dark and disturbing story that centres on the developing relationship between two lonely souls, the bullied Oskar and the odd Eli. Graphic and disturbing at times this is not a comfortable read, but you end up caring quite deeply about the two. The secondary characters bring life to the bleak Swedish landscape with their individual frailties and idiosyncrasies, and the relationships between them. This is a book that examines obsession, loyalty, abandonment, love and the dark underbelly that can be found in any country. Despite murders, aggression, confrontations and often very dark scenes, this is a startlingly good read, with surprising wit and an undercurrent that compels you to find out how things will unfold.

Ooh, I've been wanting to read this for ages :D   I thought the film (the original Swedish version, not the typically pointless Hollywood remake) was excellent :smile:

Fortunately, it's the Swedish version I have - I will have to watch this soon while the book is still strolling (menacingly at times) in my head. :smile:  I didn't find the book scary, but it is most definitely unsettling. I will be really interested to see how the film captures the 'spirit' of the book.

How is the reading going :readingtwo:

I have enjoyed my varied reading so far - I am letting myself be entirely driven by mood rather than any 'shoulds'. So far so good.

My only plan of sorts is that I will complete a re read of the Cassandra Clare Mortal Instruments books (5 to date) before May when the 6th and last one comes out. They will take no time to read, so I will probably intersperse them with other books.

After the darkness of 'Let The Right One In', I am thoroughly enjoying 'My Fat Mad Teenage Diary', which is set in the 1980's (late), so I am familiar with the sounds and tastes of the time. The teenager of the title has a great voice in the book. :D

How about you Diane?

Edited by Chrissy

I have no idea what books you talk of. My reading is OK at the moment...read to complete books and finished one that I started in Dec /finished Jan, so counting that one. Now on my 4th book of the year so that is a good start for me, although this one is thicker and writing is a bit smaller, but enjoying it.

The original film of 'Let the right one in' is brilliant, I have not seen the remake. the books stays with you, can't get Eli and Oskar out of your head. :)

Mum's enjoying it so far Frankie! :D

So that's another glowing review! :D Must definitely look into it. I must read The Lost Symbol before that, though, and a friend of mine borrowed my copy so I don't know when I will get to it... Oh sometime in the future, I suspect :D

I have enjoyed my varied reading so far - I am letting myself be entirely driven by mood rather than any 'shoulds'. So far so good.

Wise words, missy Chrissy, wise words.

My Mum finished 'Inferno' and LOVED it! She felt that the descriptions of Florence and Venice were spot on, and was delighted to discover a few snippets of bits she didn't know about both locations. She has since started 'The Lost Symbol'. :D  I don't think the order in which they are read really matters, although 'The Da Vinci Code' does briefly make reference to 'Angels & Demons', but I just didn't 'get' it until I read 'A&D'.

I am astounded that I have ended this first month of the year having read 10 books! Admittedly the Cassandra Clare books are easy to get through, but 10 is 10! :D

6) My Fat Mad Teenage Diary by Rae Earl.

What a terrific read. Set in the Lincolnshire suburbs during 1989, this is the diary of Rae, the recently released from a mental health unit and overweight teenager who chronicles her life day by day. The 80's references were a real nostalgic nudge, especially the music. Many laugh out loud moments, and that sigh of understanding you give when you read something from a teenager where they completely missed what was really going on.

This is not teenage angst in it's usual guise, but a clever and witty recollection.

7) City Of Ashes  by Cassandra Clare

The 6th and final book of this urban fantasy series is published in May this year, and I thought I would slowly (and in between other books) re read this series before May. Having started them, I have found myself launching straight into the next. Ah well, Reading is reading. :smile:  This 1st book introduces us to the characters that will fill the next 6 books in this the world of demons and supernatural beings, and of the Shadowhunters, the men and women who stand between us ordinary humans,  and a total demonic take over. We enter this world through Clary. Why can she see 'things' that others cannot? Why has her mother disappeared. A cracking opening book.

8) City Of Bones  by Cassandra Clare

Things are changing for all the characters in this series. Things are also getting serious. The enigmatic Clave arrive in town, their inquisitor determined to unearth what is really going on. Battle scenes that will make you wince, loyalties tried and tested to their limits and a compelling second book that answers some questions while most definitely setting many more up!

9) City Of Glass  by Cassandra Clare

We arrive in Idris, some by design, others by accident. Who belongs to whom, and where do everyone's loyalties lie? This fast paced third book will make you gasp in horror and sorrow, while the fight scenes will leave you feeling bruised and tender. There are no healing runes for the reader.

10) City Of Fallen Angels  by Cassandra Clare

I consider this fourth book as my least favourite. Until the last quarter the book feels a little too angst ridden, although the reason for this is made clear in that last quarter. Simon has a lot of the story for himself, and is a character I have really liked from the start. His interactions with everyone he meets marks him as compassionate, witty and perceptive, so his large role in the book saves it for me.

I have started the fifth book, and will have to hope that I recall the events when May comes around. Not a bad month all-in-all. Roll on February! :D

Thanks folks! :smile:   I am enjoying my reading enormously and am not fretting AT ALL about what I should (hate that word!) be reading.

I also changed my collection headings on my kindle. I decided to go alphabetical rather than genres, so with the exception of non-fiction and the books I have read, they all sit neatly in their alphabetic collections. It seems to already have helped with my new just pick 'n' read philosophy for 2014. :D

Nice work!

I am tempted to check out mortal instruments as I see them mentioned everywhere.

Edited by Devi

Thank you Poppy, Devi, Athena and Nollaig. :smile:  As I said, fairly easy reads, but I'm so glad to start the year off flowing! :D

11) City Of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Cripes, it's all happening in this book! The series as a whole has placed a lot of focus on love, friendship and loyalty. What lengths would you go to help, or indeed save the people you love? Yes, as always Jace and Clary figure large in the story, but we see a great development in Isabelle and Alexander among others. This novel moves from place to place and keeps a few little sub plots ticking over that enrich the story. A great set up for the sixth and final book in May.  

Now all I have to do is figure out my need read. I think I need another series to immerse myself in. :readingtwo: