Andrea's books 2014

~Andrea~

I finished Odd Thomas last week. I enjoyed it but not as much as I thought I would. I've enjoyed others of his more. It was still good though.

I was going to start reading The Asylum by John Harwood in time for halloween but I've recently moved and now live alone. I wasn't sure if I ought to read anything too scary as I'm a bit of a wimp if I'm home alone and do get easily spooked. (Anybody know how scary it is?) Instead I've started Robin Hobb's Fool's Errand - part one of the Tawny Man trilogy which follows on from the Farseer trilogy. So far so good!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to start reading The Asylum by John Harwood in time for halloween but I've recently moved and now live alone. I wasn't sure if I ought to read anything too scary as I'm a bit of a wimp if I'm home alone and do get easily spooked. (Anybody know how scary it is?) Instead I've started Robin Hobb's Fool's Errand - part one of the Tawny Man trilogy which follows on from the Farseer trilogy. So far so good!

I hope you enjoy the whole trilogy :)!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I absolutely devoured Fool's Errand. It was brilliant. I can't believe I read it in two and a half weeks. For me, and for a book over 600 pages long, that must be some kind of record! Although I was quite ill for about a week and did more or less nothing but read.

So what to read next? I'd dearly love to read the next one (Fool's Errand is the first in a trilogy) straight away but I don't have it at home and need to borrow it from my ex. As I've just moved and haven't fully unpacked all my books yet (my unread ones are in a box at the back of the garage somewhere) I decided to pick up a book I'd already read called The Big Love by Sarah Dunn. It's a comedy about someone who has just been dumped by her long term boyfriend. Since I am going through the exact same situation myself I thought it might be good to read. I was wrong and it's far too close to home to be enjoyable! I think I need some pure escapism right now - as far away from reality as I can possibly get! So I might have a browse at Kobo for something new for my e-reader or dig out my unread books from the garage and see if there's something there to take my fancy.

I do have King Solomon's carpet to finish but as I started it when I was on holiday with my ex I find I just can't bring myself to pick it up as just looking at the cover arouses all kinds of stressful emotions in me. Silly I know!!

Edited by ~Andrea~

It's not silly at all, Andrea.  :empathy: I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. :friends0:

Do you have an old favourite that you could escape into? Maybe something along fantasy lines, like Harry Potter (sorry, but I can't recall if you've read/enjoyed the HP series).

I agree with everyone else, I'm so sorry for what you're going through :empathy: and it's not silly at all what you're saying. I hope you can find a nice book to escape in. Like Kylie said, maybe an old favourite, or maybe something new by an author you've previously liked? I hope you can find something that you like. We're always here for you if you want any support or want to talk. I hope you feel better soon :friends0:.

That's not silly at all. I went through a similar feeling when my brother passed away. As we were both gamers I couldn't bring myself to play a certain series of games for a couple of years. Just bought back painful memories for me.

Sorry you are going through such a rough patch. :(

Edited by Devi

Finished The Magician's Nephew and loved it. Just the job. I've always maintained that this was my favourite Narnia story and I was pondering this as I read it. I don't think the story is as good as The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe but it has some great scenes. Also TLTWATW does suffer from a bit of over-familiarity (even though it's awesome)

I have now acquired Robin Hobb's The Golden Fool and I'm in a dilemma whether to read that next, or TLTWATW, or go for something from my TBR. I think it'll be TLTWATW though.

I finished The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and enjoyed it thoroughly again as I knew I would. I might have a little break from Narnia and go for Robin Hobb's The Golden Fool next. I also started listening Kafka's The Trial on audio the other day and so far it's very good.

I'm glad you're enjoying the Narnia books. I read them in Dutch when I was a child, in the library, though I'm unsure if they had all of them. I bought them in English a while ago and look forward to re-reading them. One of my memories of them is, I read them while in the car (I think on holidays to France) and I got carsick. I know, not the best memory :P. But I remember I really liked the books.

P.S. I know I said it on Facebook, but happy birthday, Andrea :).

Well instead of The Golden Fool I made an impulse buy with my birthday vouchers of Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl and started reading it last night. I like what I've read so far.

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. I own the book but it's on my TBR. I've heard from quite a few people that they liked it but somehow I haven't got around to reading it yet :blush2:. I hope you enjoy the whole book!

Hmm struggling with The Trial (audiobook). I really enjoyed Metamorphosis but this - well - it's in a league of it's own for strangeness. But it's all so strange that I'm losing interest because I just don't get what the hell is going on. Gone Girl is going well on the other hand.

• 2 weeks later...