Anna's Books for 2014

Anna Begins

I didn't like the book very much but I *love* your cover!   :)

Why didn't you like it?  I love the cover too!

I love the cover too. It's very different from the blue cover that I've always associated with this book.

I'm really torn on whether to read it. I've read mostly great reviews, but a couple of bad reviews as well. I guess I'll go with the majority and try it out for myself!

You should read it :P

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mountains.jpg

(3.5/5) And The Mountains Echoed By Khaled Hosseini  417 pages

Hm... I've heard so many different things about this book from so many people.  I liked The Kite Runner, so I'll just get that out of the way now.  I loved the story of And The Mountains Echoed, but I found the writing frustrating.  The way the story comes together and the way characters are introduced was a problem for me.  It wanted to be a short story book, but then wanted all these compecated connections as well. 

I would and want read it again, now that I understand the book and character connections.

Too hard to summarize so I'll use wiki: 

The book's foundation is built on the relationship between ten-year-old Abdullah and his three-year-old sister Pari and their father's decision to sell her to a childless couple in Kabul, an event that ties the various narratives together.

Edited by Anna Begins

Why didn't you like it?  I love the cover too!

I don’t mind escapism and books would be dull if they just reflected the mundane aspects of everyday life, but the sections set in the past just seemed completely far-fetched that the whole thing felt absurd. 

That (from my review of it) sums up my feelings.  :)   It was a disappointment as I really wanted to like it.

I don’t mind escapism and books would be dull if they just reflected the mundane aspects of everyday life, but the sections set in the past just seemed completely far-fetched that the whole thing felt absurd. 

That (from my review of it) sums up my feelings.  :)   It was a disappointment as I really wanted to like it.

I agree with that.  I read one review that recalled Forrest Gump.  At one point, I was even tempting the thought he was dreaming.  Anyway, I bought the past recollections, but then, I like to suspend disbelief quite a deal. :P

I agree with that.  I read one review that recalled Forrest Gump.  At one point, I was even tempting the thought he was dreaming.  Anyway, I bought the past recollections, but then, I like to suspend disbelief quite a deal. :P

I agree that it was quite absurd, but the absurdity appealed to me.  I read the Forrest Gump review as well, but tried to forget it as I felt it lessened my enjoyment of this book.  For me, it was fun just to roll with it.

Thanks girls, it's nice to know someone reads them!

It is, isn't it?  :)  I'm always on the lookout for something new and to broaden my exposure to different books/authors, and the reviews on here are always so good for that!

I'm always on the lookout for something new and to broaden my exposure to different books/authors, and the reviews on here are always so good for that!

I know!  I have no idea what to read after Valley Of The Horses but that will take me a few days.  Thinking about giving Life After Life another try after all the chat around here.

• 3 weeks later...

Echoing what others have said before: I love the cover of The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared on your copy! :):

I'm really torn on whether to read it. I've read mostly great reviews, but a couple of bad reviews as well. I guess I'll go with the majority and try it out for myself!

I would say give it a go :) You might find the chapters about the 100yo. man's past a bit long winded, perhaps, but then again, maybe not, and the things that happen in the present are real fun :D

100yrman.jpg

The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson 400 pages

From the moment Allen Karlsson leaves his nursing home the day he turns 100, you are immediately drawn into this character.  The book follows Allen, who finds 50 million dollars at a train station he is at, while on the run from the nursing home, while also describing events of his amazing life of 100 years.  I found myself loving both parts of the story.  The cast of characters and story/ stories are hilarious, I even found myself laughing and I hate comedy.

I would highly recommend this book, it is a good one.  And another to add to the growing list of great books I have read this month.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book too Anna. It was nothing like I expected, I thought it would be about a dear old gentlemen who has enough of his rest home and goes off to have a few gentle little adventures. How wrong can you get!! :D It was wickedly funny and a huge adventure with a great cast of characters. Glad you enjoyed it too :)

• 4 weeks later...

poisonwood.jpg

The Poisonwood Bible Barbara Kingsolver, 570 pages, 563 kindle pages Rating- It was ok, 3/5

From wiki, cause I can't copy from Amazon:

The Poisonwood Bible (1998), by Barbara Kingsolver, is a bestselling novel about a missionary family, the Prices, who in 1959 move from the U.S. state of Georgia to the Belgian Congo. The Prices' story is narrated by the five women of the family: Orleanna, the long-suffering wife of Baptist missionary Nathan Price, and their four daughters: Rachel, Leah, Adah, and Ruth May.

This book is always on those "50 best book" lists or whatever.  This book is one on my TBR list for the year.

Let me just say, it took a good 150 pages for me to get into this sucker.  I'm not a big fan when stories are told through a series of narration from different characters point of view- ie, Allegient is a good example (although, I did like it).  Kingsolver does a semi-good job of keeping 4+ the mother's voice separated as she bounces back and forth between each sister and the mother.  I seem to have expected more of Kingsolver after reading much of her novels (Bean Trees, Animal Dreams, Pigs In Heaven), plus it appearing on so many lists.  After reading it, yes, it was worth it to stick it out.  Make lists?  No.

I liked The Poisonwood Bible, but I just didn't love it as much as others did. I don't actually recall too much about it, but I remember the last half was a bit of a struggle to get through.

I liked The Poisonwood Bible, but I just didn't love it as much as others did. I don't actually recall too much about it, but I remember the last half was a bit of a struggle to get through.

I know what you mean!

• 2 weeks later...

51mm5Yw5jzL__BO2204203200_PIsitb-sticker

(4/5) Gone Tomorrow by Lee Child, Jack Reacher No 13  578 pages

I never review my Jack Reacher books, mainly because I read so many and I don't think anyone is too interested in hearing all about them lol

Anyway, after 12 books, Lee Child decided to write this book in the first person, instead of the third.  I rad the sample and was horrified.  Would this ruin the series for me?  Could I live inside Reacher's head for nearly 600 pages?

Yup.  And this was one of Lee Child's best.  I don't recommend starting with it, as it is so out of style with the rest of the books- a style which works so well- but it is definitely one on my "surprised" list.

I read Killing Floor & enjoyed it but for some reason i haven't bothered with his others, i think maybe it's because there are so many i don't want to get hooked into reading another series as i already have quite a few on the go & don't seem to be getting any nearer to finishing them  :blush2:

I read Killing Floor & enjoyed it but for some reason i haven't bothered with his others, i think maybe it's because there are so many i don't want to get hooked into reading another series as i already have quite a few on the go & don't seem to be getting any nearer to finishing them  :blush2:

And oh man, am I hooked!  I always say Reacher is my literary crush :smile: None of the books refer to eachother so if you want to check one out, it wouldn't matter which one.  I'd suggest Without Fail, my favorite (Reacher No 6).

I've read and enjoyed quite a few of the Reacher books, too. I think Persuader and Die Trying were my favourites so far, and I really liked 61 Hours, too (haven't read Without Fail, though - I've been reading them completely out of order :giggle2: ).  For some reason, I didn't get along with Gone Tomorrow as well as you did, though - I think it was because Reacher was too omniscient in that one for my liking.  Ooh, and I thought The Enemy was brilliant, too :smile:

I've read and enjoyed quite a few of the Reacher books, too. I think Persuader and Die Trying were my favourites so far, and I really liked 61 Hours, too (haven't read Without Fail, though - I've been reading them completely out of order :giggle2: ).  For some reason, I didn't get along with Gone Tomorrow as well as you did, though - I think it was because Reacher was too omniscient in that one for my liking.  Ooh, and I thought The Enemy was brilliant, too :smile:

oh my gosh- someone who knows what I'm talking about lol Persuader was great and I just read 61 Hours, despite ripping Amazon reviews, I liked it too.  New one coming out in September, Personal.  I probably won't be caught up to read it in Sept. (I am doing them in strict order, with the exception of Gone Tomorrow) but I'm glad a new one is coming out.  More Reacher is always a good thing in my... book :giggle2:

Edit: Bad Luck and Trouble is terrific too (no 11).

Edited by Anna Begins

Edit: Bad Luck and Trouble is terrific too (no 11).

I got halfway through that one a few years back when I was on a plane to Canada, and never finished it :lol:  I'll have to go back to it one day :smile:

I got halfway through that one a few years back when I was on a plane to Canada, and never finished it :lol:  I'll have to go back to it one day :smile:

I don't suppose reading a book about people being thrown out of helicopters while being on a plane, would be a good choice :giggle2:

rules.jpg

(2/5) Rules of Prey by John Sandford 496pages

I really wanted to like this series.  It came highly recommended by my dad, who loves this sorta genre.  He got me turned onto Reacher and is constantly talking about this Lewis Davenport guy, so I thought I'd give it a go while reading Pillars of the Earth.

Rules of Prey quickly became a time suck.  It took away time from other books I could've enjoyed- perhaps another Reacher lol

Anyway, Rules of Prey is about cop, Lewis Davenport hunting down a violent sexually driven madman (and the book is on the graphic side + I'm reading Pillars of the Earth so ya).  It is simple, drags in places, things happen in an unexplained manner and there is no history to back up Daveport's "badness", he isn't even really that great.  My dad just concluded book, 20 or something close, even re-reading them.  I MIGHT give #2 a go.  There has to be something I'm not getting.  Especially if there are that many of them out there- there must be a fan base, right?

2/5 Not recommended

There has to be something I'm not getting.  Especially if there are that many of them out there- there must be a fan base, right?

2/5 Not recommended

I enjoyed his series many years ago when I was just getting started on the thriller genre. Now that I have read a variety of other 'thriller' novels, I can see how bland and basic his books really are. Mind you, I haven't tried his more current books, but then again I don't have much inclination to. :giggle2: