Anna's Books for 2014

Anna Begins

I'm glad to hear you liked Clan of the Cave Bear! When I read the first four for the first time, as a teenager, I liked the first one the most, but I don't know what it'll be like these days. I look forward to finding out when I read the whole series.

How were the other 4?  Good?  There's what, 6 of them?

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were good though I liked the first one the most. There's six of them, I haven't read the last two before. I'm going to start at the beginning and read all six over a period of time, at some point.

EDIT: Here's a list:

Jean M. Auel - Earth's Children 1: The Clan Of The Cave Bear

Jean M. Auel - Earth's Children 2: The Valley Of Horses

Jean M. Auel - Earth's Children 3: The Mammoth Hunters

Jean M. Auel - Earth's Children 4: The Plains Of Passage

Jean M. Auel - Earth's Children 5: The Shelters Of Stone

Jean M. Auel - Earth's Children 6: The Land Of Painted Caves

Edited by Athena

I'm in love with this new book Poe by J Lincoln Fenn.  It's about an obituary writer who wakes up in a morgue the day after Halloween.  Really good!  327 pages, hope to finish today or tonight.  I hope it stays this good- I'm not sure where it's going yet- but I'm 16% into it.

I hope to finish Swastika Night tonight.  Wow.  What an awesome read.  Can't wait to read the end.  Anyone else read it?  I'd love to hear your thoughts (but not the end, or spoilers, please).

Edited by Anna Begins

Started Valley of the Horses by Jean M Auel but I'm not sure I want to read it after reading the sample.

Began The Enemy (Jack Reacher No 8) by Lee Child.

I read Clan of the Cave Bear and Valley of the Horses last year.  The first one was the best.  Valley of the Horses was ok, but not as good.  I'm going to keep going with the series, as a few members on here have said the third one is a lot better.

Well, I finished Swastika Night.  I feel like I've read an extraordinary book, in beautiful language, a full complete picture of another world, one that speaks in philosophical, feministic and theologian themes.  Wow.  What a story.  And to think- it came out in the late 30's.  Katherine Burdekin is an AMAZING writer.  My mind feels enlightened and light.

I read Clan of the Cave Bear and Valley of the Horses last year.  The first one was the best.  Valley of the Horses was ok, but not as good.  I'm going to keep going with the series, as a few members on here have said the third one is a lot better.

I will definitely check out the rest of the sample then, thanks!  I really liked Clan and was excited to see what she was going to experience next.  I just got tired of her hunting and making fires :giggle2:

Ok, I'm done reading Damned and Doomed by Chuck Palahniuk.  While I loved the first book, the second, Doomed, was a let down.  Even from the very beginning.  Especially the ending.  I hated the writing style,  Don't know what was up with this book as Palahniuk (Had to learn to spell that) is so reliably good.

Edited: I see some bad reviews of it on Amazon too.  Glad I'm not the only one.

I am beginning Go Ask Alice (Anonymous).

Edited by Anna Begins

• 2 weeks later...

Finished The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir and I think I am going to start 1492: The Year the Four Corners of the Earth Collided.  I also just picked up the latest BBC Magazine, which I love.  Oddly, the main piece is on the six wives of Henry VIII!

d7d25ab4-323d-4952-968f-4a03c5d5d4a7.jpg

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill (5/5)

I you are a Joe Hill or Stephen King fan, I highly recommend NOS4A2.  If you haven't been enlightened by the brilliant mind that is Joe Hill, I recommend the shorter Horns.  NOS4A2 comes in at a hefty 690 pages, but goes by quickly.  And is Goooooood.  Very Good.  At times, I found myself needing to stop, just to slow my heart or collect my thoughts, but then found myself coming back ten minutes later to read another hour or so.  This book does boarder somewhat on splatter-punk, so it might be graphic for some, but then again, it is a horror story.

NOS4A2 is about the life of a wonderful kick butt protagonist Vic, who, while on a bike, can cross an imaginary bridge that allows her to find lost things.  It is also the story of a 100+ year old "vampire" who cruises around in an old Rolls Royce and feeds on children, taking them to a place called "Christmasland".

Edited by Anna Begins

Got it!  Thanks for posting the picture.  I assume that's the vampire?  All weekend I had been trying to sound it out; none of my pronunciations made much sense!  

Yes... NOS4R2 nosfourahtwo lol

d7d25ab4-323d-4952-968f-4a03c5d5d4a7.jpg

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill (5/5)

I you are a Joe Hill or Stephen King fan, I highly recommend NOS4A2.  If you haven't been enlightened by the brilliant mind that is Joe Hill, I recommend the shorter Horns.  NOS4A2 comes in at a hefty 690 pages, but goes by quickly.  And is Goooooood.  Very Good.  At times, I found myself needing to stop, just to slow my heart or collect my thoughts, but then found myself coming back ten minutes later to read another hour or so.  This book does boarder somewhat on splatter-punk, so it might be graphic for some, but then again, it is a horror story.

NOS4A2 is about the life of a wonderful kick butt protagonist Vic, who, while on a bike, can cross an imaginary bridge that allows her to find lost things.  It is also the story of a 100+ year old "vampire" who cruises around in an old Rolls Royce and feeds on children, taking them to a place called "Christmasland".

im glad you enjoyed it, its a good book, definitely learnt something from his dad!!

Great review :)! The book is already on my wishlist. I own Heartshaped Box by Joe Hill on the Kindle, but I haven't read it yet. I kind of only bought it because it was on a daily deal or a sale, I'd prefer a paper book copy. I'm glad you liked NOS4A2. The title sounds very clever!

I had never heard of Joe Hill before so have added horns to my wish list as it sounds intriguing.

I hope you like his work!  Glad I might have started a new fan :smile:

Great review :)! The book is already on my wishlist. I own Heartshaped Box by Joe Hill on the Kindle, but I haven't read it yet. I kind of only bought it because it was on a daily deal or a sale, I'd prefer a paper book copy. I'm glad you liked NOS4A2. The title sounds very clever!

Heartshaped Box was his first- I liked it a lot.

Good review, I really enjoyed it as well, definitely his best work so far.

Thanks- hard to review and not give away everything!

That's a hard one for me.  It's a tie.  I really loved Horns. 

Edited by Anna Begins

100yrman.jpg

The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson 400 pages

From the moment Allen Karlsson leaves his nursing home the day he turns 100, you are immediately drawn into this character.  The book follows Allen, who finds 50 million dollars at a train station he is at, while on the run from the nursing home, while also describing events of his amazing life of 100 years.  I found myself loving both parts of the story.  The cast of characters and story/ stories are hilarious, I even found myself laughing and I hate comedy.

I would highly recommend this book, it is a good one.  And another to add to the growing list of great books I have read this month.

Edited by Anna Begins

I love the cover too. It's very different from the blue cover that I've always associated with this book.

I'm really torn on whether to read it. I've read mostly great reviews, but a couple of bad reviews as well. I guess I'll go with the majority and try it out for myself!