Anna's Books for 2014

Anna Begins

Because of the March reading circle nominations, I stared Starship Troopers and the Sample is really good!  I'm sure you all will pick Dune though, it's currently leading :smile:  Might read Dune anyway if it's picked, as I've never done a reading circle before.  Not sure I'm up for a 900pg book though.

Edited by Anna Begins

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*mouth drops open* I didn't even KNOW they were making a movie!  Good for Joe Hill.  Daniel Radcliffe, as I have been told by the media ha ha, has a lot of range.  He's definitely NOT what I picture when I pictured Ig, but I might go see it, depending on how it looks.  I guess I'm willing to give it a chance but...not feelin the Radcliffe.  Too bad though, I think no one will ever see him as anything but Harry Potter.  What do you think about the casting?  Just reading the Wiki and Joe Hill praises Radcliffe.

Yeah it could be good, not sure when it is released though. Radcliffe has potential, it's good to see him trying out different roles but I think he would need to land a big or successful film soon to make sure he is not always seen as Potter. I like Juno Temple and Heather Graham :wub: but not quite who I pictured in it.

Have you read his latest, NOS4A2? His best yet in my opinion.

Radcliffe i think, reminds me a little bit of Leonardo dicaprio in that he too was only known for his early romantic stuff - before he started working in other movie genres.

Hope that makes sense

Edited by Devi

Yeah it could be good, not sure when it is released though. Radcliffe has potential, it's good to see him trying out different roles but I think he would need to land a big or successful film soon to make sure he is not always seen as Potter. I like Juno Temple and Heather Graham :wub: but not quite who I pictured in it.

Have you read his latest, NOS4A2? His best yet in my opinion.

No I haven't read that one yet, I have the sample on my Kindle.  I also bought Twittering from the Circus of the Dead.  Have you ever heard of this book of his before?  It's just a Kindle Single though.  Anyway, one review cracked me up..."Woke up at 2am, couldn't get back to sleep, read this in the dark.  Terrible decision, fantastic story." :D

Radcliffe i think, reminds me a little bit of Leonardo dicaprio in that he too was only known for his early romantic stuff - before he started working in other movie genres.

Hope that makes sense

That's a great point- exactly what needs to happen for him.  Totally makes sense!

No I haven't read that one yet, I have the sample on my Kindle.  I also bought Twittering from the Circus of the Dead.  Have you ever heard of this book of his before?  It's just a Kindle Single though.  Anyway, one review cracked me up..."Woke up at 2am, couldn't get back to sleep, read this in the dark.  Terrible decision, fantastic story." :D

I haven't no, doesn't seem to be available over here. Great title though! and sounds good :) I'll look out for it. NOS4R2 is my favourite of his work so far.

Picked up When I Found You by Catherine Ryan Hyde for special Kindle price.  Sounds excellent.  From the author of Pay it Forward.

One morning, childless, middle aged Nathan McCann finds a newborn in the woods.  Nathan wants to keep the child, but his grandmother steps in and convinces him to give up the child.  15 yrs later, Nat- the child he found- turns up on his doorstep. 

Sounds like a fresh change from the Horror/ Science Fiction kick I've been on lately!

Edited by Anna Begins

Picked up When I Found You by Catherine Ryan Hyde for special Kindle price.  Sounds excellent.  From the author of Pay it Forward.

One morning, childless, middle aged Nathan McCann finds a newborn in the woods.  Nathan wants to keep the child, but his grandmother steps in and convinces him to give up the child.  15 yrs later, Nat- the child he found- turns up on his doorstep. 

Sounds like a fresh change from the Horror/ Science Fiction kick I've been on lately!

This book sounds really good and interesting I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it :)

x

I have it on my TBR, I haven't read it yet though so I can't say much about it. I hope you enjoy it :).

Just finished Starship Troopers and I LOVED it!!  Now I have to figure out if I want to see the movie.  Can't imagine how they did it.

Dunno what is next yet, but I just downloaded my first- and much anticipated- BBC History Magazine and I think I will spend the last day of January sans book, but with the rest of this magazine!

I might try to watch Starship Troopers this weekend. We have it on DVD, and hubby keeps telling me I should watch it but I've never got around to it (even though I enjoyed the book).

I've not read the book but the movie is very good  :smile:

Will definitely have to watch it then- I can't wait to see how they did it all!

Started Clan of the Cave Bear this morning.  It's good!  The beginning has been a little disturbing to me, as I have a 5 year old.  I couldn't imagine her being on her own at this age.

Still reading BBC History, but that is a magazine that will take me awhile to finish, especially now, with Clan of the Cave Bear started.

I'm going to keep a list of interesting words I learn this year.  I'm going to post whenever I get a word, so random, not a list.  I start with corvette (not a car, but a small warship) and alacrity (brisk and cheerful readiness).

Will definitely have to watch it then- I can't wait to see how they did it all!

Started Clan of the Cave Bear this morning.  It's good!  The beginning has been a little disturbing to me, as I have a 5 year old.  I couldn't imagine her being on her own at this age.

Still reading BBC History, but that is a magazine that will take me awhile to finish, especially now, with Clan of the Cave Bear started.

x

I loved The Clan of the Cave Bear! I plan on reading it again some time when I'm in the mood. I've never read it in English before but several times in Dutch when I was younger. I hope you enjoy the book :).

x

I loved The Clan of the Cave Bear! I plan on reading it again some time when I'm in the mood. I've never read it in English before but several times in Dutch when I was younger. I hope you enjoy the book :).

You should have no problem with the English, it is a pretty easy read.

Oh cool- thanks!

Clan of the Cave Bear was so good!  Definitely a 5/5, I am tempted to read the next one.  Now onto some Jack Reacher with Lee Child's Persuader.   

"Ok," I said.  "My name is Reacher."

*Knees go weak*

Edited by Anna Begins

I'm glad to hear you liked Clan of the Cave Bear! When I read the first four for the first time, as a teenager, I liked the first one the most, but I don't know what it'll be like these days. I look forward to finding out when I read the whole series.