Anna's Books for 2014

Anna Begins

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, randomly, while on vacation, I decided to start Angel's Ashes by Frank McCourt.  I like it, its ok as far as the greatness scale.  50% done.  Started Jan. 7th so enjoying at a medium pace, plus its off my 2014 TBR list.  Oh- and I've got a cold.

Edited by Anna Begins

Are you enjoying Salem's Lot?

Enjoy the vouchers :)

I dropped Salem's Lot in order to speed through the irritating and banal The Handmaids Tale, but I'm still reading Clive Barker's  Books of Blood, as an ongoing project.  Salem's Lot didn't grab me like King's other works, so I wasn't too into it.  Definitely will go back and read it though.

I bought myself a Kindle Fire on sale for a great deal and so yes, I am enjoying the vouchers- mostly on $1 books to make them stretch :readingtwo:  but trying to only get a book (s) if I am going to read them this year or immediately.  I use samples to find out if I like the books before buying it.  And of course, I love finding free ones!

Books of Blood are good, I have read the first three, a real mix of the gruesome and bizarre. Some of the imagery still sticks with me.

He's so awesome!  I had to read The Yattering and Jack from Vol1 first- I have the graphic novel and have been wanting to read the story forever!

Edited by Anna Begins

It's taken me 10 days, but I finished Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt.  Liked it, 4 out of 5, wasn't bored or anything.  Started Clive Barker's Abarat (another on the TBR list), so we'll see how that goes- I liked the sample.  I should be reading faster though.

Why should you be reading faster? It should be a pastime you enjoy, not something to rush through. In my opinion :blush2:. Or do you mean you want to spend more time reading?

Maybe I phrased wrong.  I usually read a bit faster that I am right now, I was reading Angela's Ashes while on vacation, so didn't have as much time to spend on it than I normally do.  I usually average a book every 5-6 days- but I don't go to school or work.  10 days for me to finish a 530pg book?  That's just silly to me lol

Maybe I phrased wrong.  I usually read a bit faster that I am right now, I was reading Angela's Ashes while on vacation, so didn't have as much time to spend on it than I normally do.  I usually average a book every 5-6 days- but I don't go to school or work.  10 days for me to finish a 530pg book?  That's just silly to me lol

x

Ah, I see what you mean! Here on BCF when someone isn't reading much while they want to and have the time and energy, but somehow just don't seem to read fast or get into a book, we say that their 'mojo' has disappeared or is low. I've heard people on YouTube call it 'a reading slump'. For myself, I seem to go through periods where I read more and periods where I read less. At the moment I'm reading a lot (and fast), but I don't doubt that any moment really, I'll be in a period where I read less (I'm dreading it already :hide:). We have to see how things go though. I hope things get better for you soon :).

x

Ah, I see what you mean! Here on BCF when someone isn't reading much while they want to and have the time and energy, but somehow just don't seem to read fast or get into a book, we say that their 'mojo' has disappeared or is low. I've heard people on YouTube call it 'a reading slump'. For myself, I seem to go through periods where I read more and periods where I read less. At the moment I'm reading a lot (and fast), but I don't doubt that any moment really, I'll be in a period where I read less (I'm dreading it already :hide:). We have to see how things go though. I hope things get better for you soon :).

Yes, when I go through a manic phase, it is harder for me to concentrate.  I hate that. Its like, you have to take everything else away AND reading too?...

So much for only buying books on my TBR list... although I did have a short TBR list just so I could buy some this yr ;)

12 Years a Slave- Solomon Northrup (99cents)

Mile 81- Stephen King (80 pgs- Kindle single)

In the Tall Grass- Stephen King and Joe Hill (50 pgs, Kindle Single) 

Horns- Joe Hill (rebought for Kindle)

Throttle- Stephen King and Joe Hill (99cents)

:hide:

Congrats on the new books, I hope you enjoy them :)!

Thanks!  I cant wait to read them!  And to re-read Joe Hill's  Horns, as it is one of my fav books.

That's a great deal for 12 years a Slave, Anna, will be interested to hear what you think of it. I'm hoping to go see the movie soon everyone seems to be raving about it  :smile:

Still on sale in the US, was posted on Kindle deals in the UK too so it might be on sale until its release on the 28th.

Edited by Anna Begins

For a short story, yeah it was good. What do you think to Daniel Radcliffe as Ig?

*mouth drops open* I didn't even KNOW they were making a movie!  Good for Joe Hill.  Daniel Radcliffe, as I have been told by the media ha ha, has a lot of range.  He's definitely NOT what I picture when I pictured Ig, but I might go see it, depending on how it looks.  I guess I'm willing to give it a chance but...not feelin the Radcliffe.  Too bad though, I think no one will ever see him as anything but Harry Potter.  What do you think about the casting?  Just reading the Wiki and Joe Hill praises Radcliffe.