Anna's Books for 2014

Anna Begins

I put Close Your Eyes Hold Hands on hold at the library. I now have 3 books on hold and that can be a problem sometimes.

I know how that can be a problem!  I don't use the library (yet) but I have a short list (first post on page 11) and it looks like I'm booked up for the rest of the year- with room for a few add ins.  What are you waiting on?

Edit: Just saw what you're waiting on in the August thread!

Edited by Anna Begins

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know how that can be a problem!  I don't use the library (yet) but I have a short list (first post on page 11) and it looks like I'm booked up for the rest of the year- with room for a few add ins.  What are you waiting on?

See August Book activity. :)

Aw heck, I copied it and also posted it here.....................

I have just started reading Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman. Can't seem to get into it though. I will have to concentrate on it tonight. Once I start a book I like to finish it.

I have 3 books on hold at the library. My luck they will probably all come available at the same time.

1. Close Your Eyes Hold Hands - Chris Bohjalian
  2. Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness
  3. The Target - David Baldacci
Edited by muggle not

close.jpg

Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands by Chris Bohjalian

288 pages

Genre: Fiction

Edited from Amazon:

A nuclear plant in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom has experienced a cataclysmic meltdown, and both of Emily Shepard’s parents were killed. Devastatingly, her father was in charge of the plant, and the meltdown may have been his fault.  Emily feels certain that as the daughter of the most hated man in America, she is in danger.  She takes off on her own before befriending a young homeless boy.  Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands is one of Chris Bohjalian’s finest novels to date—breathtaking, wise, and utterly transporting.

Me:

There are just some authors out there, you wonder what their mind must be like.  Chris Bohjalian is one of those for me.  I love his writing style: conversational, casual, carefree and easy.  The themes of his books are so varied, I just want to read them all.  Even the ones that don’t appeal to me!  Close Your Eyes, Hold hands did not disappoint, it is my second read of his.  It’s fast paced and short, at 288 pages.

Released this year- in July- the book is refreshingly current.  Author of Midwives and Sandcastle Girls, Bohjalian uses up to date references throughout- I phones, Facebook, Fukushima, CNN, Fox News and with lines like: “It was like the lines outside the movie theater on the opening night of a new Hunger Games film.” Written in the first person (of which I am becoming fond of), Emily reminds me a lot of Madison, Chuck Palahniuk’s protagonist in Damned: tough and determined.

The topic of coping with a nuclear power plant explosion/meltdown- while terrifying- copes by using a semi- emotional protagonist, trying survive and told in a past tense first person perspective.  If that sounds familiar (like any apocalyptic coping survival book), I can assure you Bohjalian handles it in his own unique style.  Jodi Picoult says it best, on the cover, ”If you need any proof that fiction can scare us, move us and break our hearts simultaneously, look no further.”

(4/5) recommended

Edited by Anna Begins

See August Book activity. :)

Aw heck, I copied it and also posted it here.....................

I have just started reading Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman. Can't seem to get into it though. I will have to concentrate on it tonight. Once I start a book I like to finish it.

I have 3 books on hold at the library. My luck they will probably all come available at the same time.

1. Close Your Eyes Hold Hands - Chris Bohjalian
  2. Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness
  3. The Target - David Baldacci

I just bought Take Me With You by Catherine Ryan Hyde. still not finished with Fragile things by Neil Gaiman though, may stop reading it for a while as it is short stories.

If you haven't read Neil Gaiman you should give him a try....I especially recommend "The Graveyard Book ".

Why haven't you started getting books from the library? It will save you lots of $$$$.

Edited by muggle not

I just bought Take Me With You by Catherine Ryan Hyde. still not finished with Fragile things by Neil Gaiman though, may stop reading it for a while as it is short stories.

If you haven't read Neil Gaiman you should give him a try....I especially recommend "The Graveyard Book ".

Why haven't you started getting books from the library? It will save you lots of $$$$.

I have Coraline in my Kindle Samples.  I've been waiting to read it since I missed the movie.  I will have to look up The Graveyard Book.

Mostly, my library hasn't had the books I've wanted.  And if they are good, I'm going to want them in my library... They do have all the Harry Potter's (of course) and I'm in such a debate about starting one.  I'm not so much into magic/ fantasy. 

Looking forward to hearing what you think of Take Me With You... its an interesting plot!  I can't decide which to read next, but after the Elie Wiesel Memoirs and Salt, I think it will be time for more of her  :smile: There's like, 15 books I want to read immediately and I just can't :readingtwo: fast enough!!

• 2 weeks later...

wiesel.jpg

Author: Elie Wiesel

Title: Memoirs: All Rivers Run to the Sea

Genre: Autobiography

Format: Kindle

Pages: 432

Book # 45 for this year

Rating: 4/5

When writing his memoirs (part 1), Elie Wiesel had people accuse him of not being able convey into words some of his experiences.  Indeed, Wiesel himself has described them as incommunicable.  And yet.  His two favorite words, And yet.  “Applicable to every situation, be it happy or bleak.  The sun is rising?  And yet it will set.  A night of anguish?  And yet, it too, will pass.” 

Wiesel defends his choice to write a memoir, “Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.  Precisely because an event seems devoid of meaning, we must give it one.  Precisely because the future eludes us, we must create it.”  Thus, begins Elie Wiesel’s All Rivers Run to the Sea.

At the age of 85 and over 50 books to his name, Wiesel writes an amazing memoir.  In only his own elegant way, barely touching his concentration camp experience, he instead focuses on his faith, the history and struggles of Israel, his plight to become a writer and the amazing man he has become.

d7d25ab4-323d-4952-968f-4a03c5d5d4a7.jpg

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill (5/5)

I you are a Joe Hill or Stephen King fan, I highly recommend NOS4A2.  If you haven't been enlightened by the brilliant mind that is Joe Hill, I recommend the shorter Horns.  NOS4A2 comes in at a hefty 690 pages, but goes by quickly.  And is Goooooood.  Very Good.  At times, I found myself needing to stop, just to slow my heart or collect my thoughts, but then found myself coming back ten minutes later to read another hour or so.  This book does boarder somewhat on splatter-punk, so it might be graphic for some, but then again, it is a horror story.

NOS4A2 is about the life of a wonderful kick butt protagonist Vic, who, while on a bike, can cross an imaginary bridge that allows her to find lost things.  It is also the story of a 100+ year old "vampire" who cruises around in an old Rolls Royce and feeds on children, taking them to a place called "Christmasland".

Great review!  I can't wait to read it. :)

once.jpg

Title: Once (Once Series)

Author: Morris Gleitzman

Genre: YA Fiction

Pages: 160

Book 46 for 2014

“Maybe it’s not just our books the Nazi’s hate.  Maybe it’s us.”  And so it dawns on Felix that Nazi’s are not simply after book lovers like his parents, but the Jewish people themselves.  Handling a grim topic in a heartbreaking way, Gleitzman weaves a tale about a 9 year old Jewish boy from Poland in 1942.   After Felix escapes from a Catholic orphanage- where his parents had sent him into hiding before they disappeared- he finds a Jewish girl, aged 6, orphaned in the woods.  The two struggle on, trying to figure out what the heck is going on and attempt to find their parents.  

A passion for books is often expressed, which was nice.  Again, another first person narrative for me and it won’t be easily forgotten.  Found through “The sequel was even better than the first” on Twitter’s bookadayuk.  Once is written for an early YA so it is a quick read (I read it in less than a day). While simple, adults can appreciate it and for YA, it will make an impression.

3.5/5, 4/5 for YA audience

Edited by Anna Begins

Great review of 'Once' Anna, I read the whole series and I enjoyed it immensely, brilliant storytelling. :)

Thanks!  I'm a little concerned about Now, I'm not sure that one appeals to me as much as the two others.  I might not read it.

then.png

Title: Then (Once trilogy)

Author: Morris Gleitzman

Genre: YA, Fiction

Pages: 224

Book 48 for 2014

The 10 year old story telling Felix and 6 year old orphan Zelda continue looking for safe haven from Nazi’s who want to either shoot them or send them to a death camp.  Written by Felix, Then paints Zelda with such color, you have to wonder is this book about Felix or Zelda?  Throughout the book, the central themes are love, family and hope, despite desperation.  An example of Gleitzman’s talent: Felix is not only vulnerable because of a love of books and being Jewish, he also has the misfortune of having to wear glasses.   It is this kind of detail that really makes these books, as Felix is confused and pieces events together (the trains, the ghetto’s, mass killings), he is constantly having to wipe his glasses,  Gleitzman showing/ telling the reader of Felix’s clouded/ unclouded vision.  These are definitely a young adult read but worthy of an adult YA reader too.

Rating: 3.5/5, 4/5 for YA audience.

I really want to read the Wiesel memoir, and I really like the sound of Then - another for the wishlist me thinks!

I can totally, absolutely, recommend Elie Wiesel 's Memoirs. I should have scored it a 5/5 in hindsight (I ALWAYS change-grrr).

Edited by Anna Begins

I might watch it next week, I am going to watch Winter's Bone in the next day or so.  I have so many I want to watch but I can't tear myself away from the Chris Bohjalian book I'm reading,  haven't finished it yet, but think you would like it.

Excellent reviews above, Anna.  I'm quite interested in the series you've reviewed....Once.  Sounds great!

Regarding Winter's Bone...have you watched it yet?  Saw it last year, loved it.  Fantastic.  I want to read the book too. 

Daniel Woodrell's Bayou Trilogy is excellent as well, that I've read. :) 

I can totally, absolutely, recommend Elie Wiesel 's Memoirs. I should have scored it a 5/5 in hindsight (I ALWAYS change-grrr).

I always want to change my ratings too. If I leave reviews too long I forget the salient points, but at least then I feel more confident in my ratings as I can judge how much I am still thinking about the book... ho hum. 

I never put my ratings on my reviews, as I often change my mind, some books stay with me longer, make me think about them more and get bumped up, and others which I enjoyed reading, lose something over time and can go down.   :)

I need to learn that lesson. I put a 3/5 rating on the book Take Me With You and since have decided it deserves at least a 3.5/5 or maybe even a 4/5 rating. ) :blush2:

I need to learn that lesson. I put a 3/5 rating on the book Take Me With You and since have decided it deserves at least a 3.5/5 or maybe even a 4/5 rating. ) :blush2:

I do keep my own private record, and quite often find that when I come to review my reading at the end of the year to decide on my top books of the year, that's when I most often change some of my initial ratings.

You could always go back to your review post and edit the rating you gave the book, with a comment to say you're upgrading your rating on further reflection. :)

I do keep my own private record, and quite often find that when I come to review my reading at the end of the year to decide on my top books of the year, that's when I most often change some of my initial ratings.

You could always go back to your review post and edit the rating you gave the book, with a comment to say you're upgrading your rating on further reflection. :)

That's a great idea!  I keep a list on page one and can use red to change the ratings if I want :smile:

Altruistic Suicide- From wiki

Altruistic suicide is suicide committed for the benefit of others.  Falling on a grenade is one such example or some noted tribal people sometimes see it as their duty to commit suicide, as when a wife kills herself after her husband dies, or a man kills himself in old age.   Altruistic suicide has a long history in India, even being noted in the Dharmashastras.  Some perceive self- immolation as an altruistic or "worthy" suicide.

Hm.  Never heard of that before.  Only a Chuck Palahniuk book, right?  Also learned:

Magic realism- From Wiki:

is a genre where magic elements are a natural part in an otherwise mundane, realistic environment.  Although it is most commonly used as a literary genre, magic realism also applies to film and the visual arts.  The term is broadly descriptive rather than critically rigorous: Professor Matthew Strecher defines magic realism as "what happens when a highly detailed, realistic setting is invaded by something too strange to believe.

Edited by Anna Begins

That's very interesting, Anna! I had never heard of altruistic suicide before. I had heard of magical realism but hadn't read a definition of it. What made you look these two things up?

lol In one of the Burnt Tongue stories, this guy finds a girl's lost cell phone and keeps it for her.  He, because of a series of events calls it Altruistic Suicide and I was like- what the heck???  Then, Pontalba said Bone Clocks might be too magical realism for her and I looked that up, because I wasn't liking the synopsis of it either.  Then I realized- ya, I usually stay away from those type of books (with some exceptions).