Anna's Books for 2014

Anna Begins

Great review :)  I have almost bought this book so many times, and I think your review has just decided it for me.  Guess I'll be paying a visit to the bookshop on Saturday!

Enjoy!  It was a great read... still on my mind too!

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will include NO spoilers in this review.  I never do, even in my ever changing signature.

mercedes.jpg

Mr. Mercedes (Horror, thriller)

By Stephen King

450 pages, Kindle book

A "quick" read from King, coming in at only 450 pages, this book follows Retired Detective Bill Hodges as he hunts down a murderer that ran a Mercedes through a group of people waiting in line for an unemployment job fair (This is in the synopsis, so I am not giving anything away).   Hodges is so bored with retirement that he instantly starts his investigation, upon contact from the killer.  In a rage at Hodges, the murder plans something much worse than the Mercedes drive- through.  Can Hodges figure it out?

King fills this book with characters of such great color and the story just builds and builds to a thrilling crescendo.  I would recommend this book for a first time reader, as it isn't quite so long and it shows off King so well.  The book is bespeckled with King's humor ("You ever see that TV movie about the clown in the sewer?") and gives some respect to other authors- one character even thumbs through a Jack Reacher book.  This is hard to review without giving even a hint of spoilers, so I will end!

(4/5) good, would recommend

Edited by Anna Begins

Too bad the Zombie Apocalypse books were not great.  I love the cool book covers though.

Mr. Mercedes sounds good.  I like your description "quick read".  The sheer size of some of his works scares me, and I have to build myself up to start them.

The covers were the only cool part!  Naw- they weren't THAT bad, but no way would I recommend them.  I read them for a read-a-thon, so they were great for that.  At only 99 cents and about 90 pages, it's not like I feel I didn't get my money worth.

Mr. Mercedes, however, I can recommend!  :smile: And at least its not 5000 pages!  :giggle2:

Edited- Hello from California!

Edited by Anna Begins

Great reviews, Anna.  I have Wild Swans on the shelf, and really do want to get to it....hopefully this summer.  I want to read Mr. Mercedes as well. 

Thanks- I like yours too!  Although we read completely different books, I like to read your impressions. :smile:

Thanks- I like yours too!  Although we read completely different books, I like to read your impressions. :smile:

Thanks, Anna. :D

Different is good, and interesting. :)

Hi Anna

You have convinced me that I need to hunt down a copy of King's new book . It sounds good . I haven't read a lot of his books, but I've liked all the ones I have read .

Thanks for the good review and the reminder .  :)

Hi Anna, Just read your review of Wild Swans & i'm glad you enjoyed it so much. It's definitely a book that once read your not likely to forget it  :smile:

Hey!  There you are!  I'm going to check out your review.

Edited by Anna Begins

I've downloaded Wild Swans after all the talk about it on here recently. :) I'm excited to get to it, but so many books so little time and all! 

I have never read a Stephen King  :blush2: But I have two of his (The Shining and 11/22/63) on my TBR so I must get to them this year because everything I read about the author and his work sounds so promising! I\m almost worried he won't live up to the hype and maybe that's why I keep putting him off...

I recognise that! Sometimes a book is quite hyped and you're just worried it'll disappoint you (which sometimes happens). I think though you should give one of the books a go at least at some point, they are liked for a reason :). Try not to hype it too much, too much hype is never good in my opinion (I tend to do this to myself too). I hope you enjoy it when you get around to reading it and if not that's okay too. I'm sure there are lots of good reads on your TBR.

I've downloaded Wild Swans after all the talk about it on here recently. :) I'm excited to get to it, but so many books so little time and all! 

I have never read a Stephen King  :blush2: But I have two of his (The Shining and 11/22/63) on my TBR so I must get to them this year because everything I read about the author and his work sounds so promising! I\m almost worried he won't live up to the hype and maybe that's why I keep putting him off...

Ya. Athena is right- don't over expect.  BUT King is a great writer and I doubt you would not like him.  I won't read The Shinning, just because the movie freaked me out so much.  11/22/63 is great- I'd give it 6 out of 5, honestly, thats how much I liked it.  The Long Walk is great- its a good King starter.  Or Green Mile.

Since today marks the last day of the 6 month mark for the year, I decided to add everything up-

So far, I've read 40 books and 9 Kindle Singles.  A total of 17,716 pages