Anna's Books for 2014

Anna Begins

Mind you, I haven't tried his more current books, but then again I don't have much inclination to. :giggle2:

Ya I read the Kindle Sample, read a few pages and then thought, "Why am I doing this??" :P

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've finished most of this year's TBR list and so here are more (without reading the Samples)

Hilary Mantel- Wolf Hall

Stephen King- Everything's Eventual 1408 (includes Riding the Bullet)

Khushwant Singh- The Collected Novels (includes Train to Pakistan)

JD Farrell- The Siege of Krushnapur

Salman Rushdie- Midnight's Children

Walk Me Home- Catherine Ryan Hyde

Wade Davis- The Serpent and the Rainbow

Leanda De Lisle- Tudor

Amanda Vaill- Florida Hotel

Lucy Worsley- The Courtiers

Clive Barker- Sacrament

Chris Bohjalian- The Sandcastle Girls

John Boyne- Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Orson Scott Card- Enders Game

Lewis Carroll- Alice in Wonderland

James Dashner- The Maze Runner

Charles Dickens- Bleak House

William Faulkner- As I Lay Dying

Sebastian Faulks- Birdsong: A Novel of Love and War

Marc D Feldman- Playing Sick?: Untangling the Web of Munchausen Syndrome

Khaled Hosseini- A Thousand Splended Suns

Stephen King- Cujo

Barbara Kingslover- High Tide in Tuscon

Barbara Kingsolver- Homeland and Other Stories

Continuous reads:

Jean M Auel- Plains of Passage

Clive Barker- Blooks of Blood Vol 1

Edited by Anna Begins

pillars.jpg

(5/5) Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett 965 pages

This book took me totally by surprise.  I was on vacation in the beginning of May and saw an old bookstore with a case of "banned" books.  This is the one that stood out to me.  I didn't really waste much time buying the book after the Kindle Sample, it was just so darn good.  As Pillars goes on, spanning the lives of it's characters 50 years or so, events fold so fast, it is hard to catch your breath!  It seems like something happens on every page.  Despite being nearly 1000 pages, I found myself completely engrossed for every single one of them.  In fact, yesterday, I was thinking, "I've been reading this book for about a week or so now- how long is it?"  I couldn't believe when I saw how long it was!  I wanted more and yet, couldn't image what else could possibly happen.  Pillars of the Earth has totally entered my top 10 books of all time.

(I think the "banned" list comes from the book's graphic nature.  There are scenes of extream violence, particularly rape.)

(5/5)

From Wiki:

The Pillars of the Earth is a historical novel by Ken Follett published in 1989 about the building of a cathedral in the town of Kingsbridge, England. It is set in the middle of the 12th century, tracing the development of Gothic architecture  and the fortunes of the Kingsbridge priory and village against the backdrop of historical events of the time.

Before this novel was published, Follett was known for writing in the thriller genre. The Pillars of the Earth became his best-selling work. The book was listed at no. 33 on the BBC's Big Read, a 2003 survey with the goal of finding the "nation's best-loved book".[1] The book was selected in the United States for Oprah's Book Club in 2007. Follett published a sequel, entitled World Without End (2007).[2]

Edited by Anna Begins

It is a great book, are you planning to read the sequel? It's very much in the same vain as Pillars.

I'd also recommend Fall of Giants, the first in the 'Century' Trilogy following 5 families throughout the 20th Century.

Edited by Timstar

It is a great book, are you planning to read the sequel? It's very much in the same vain as Pillars.

I'd also recommend Fall of Giants, the first in the 'Century' Trilogy following 5 families throughout the 20th Century.

I think I will read World Without End... maybe this summer.  I can see myself in the shade on the porch step in 90 degree heat reading it lol

I really really like Folletts writing and want to read more.  I'm also interested in his Century trilogy, I'm glad you recommended that as I was curious!  His Bio says he was a Thriller writer before Pillars.  Makes me curious what his would be like.

Anna - Did you do a review of "Walk Me Home". I haven't seen the review listed anywhere.

I enjoyed the book as it was an easy read and had a nice story to it.

Edited by muggle not

Anna - Did you do a review of "Walk Me Home". I haven't seen the review listed anywhere.

I enjoyed the book as it was an easy read and had a nice story to it.

No, I didn't review it, I got too busy and then lost my mojo reading Athena and Steve's reviews- they write such better review than I do!  I'm also afraid of giving things away in my reviews.  

Oddly enough, I've been to Trinidad, several times- we vacation there and it is exactly described- actually, the grocery store Carly goes in, is one of the coolest grocery stores I've been to (it's called Murphy's).  Not even many people in California know about it, it is right on the coast and is like, population 300.  I've driven nearly the entire CA coast, so we found it!

Then I found out Catherine Ryan Hyde is from Cambria, a TINY costal town in the south, I've been there too! 

Re: the book- I loved the pace and I liked how the story was told between the past and the present, through the different states they travel through.  I also thought Carly's question of "Why not me?" was an excellent sidebar.  The end left me a little disappointed- "That's IT???"

If you liked it, I highly, highly recommend When I Met You by Hyde.  Did you know she wrote Pay it Forward?

No, I didn't review it, I got too busy and then lost my mojo reading Athena and Steve's reviews- they write such better review than I do!  I'm also afraid of giving things away in my reviews.

I feel humbled :blush2:, thanks so much for the compliment. Your reviews are good too :). I hope you won't stop writing reviews, we all like to know what you thought of the books you read.

Edited by Athena

I feel humbled :blush2:, thanks so much for the compliment. Your reviews are good too :). I hope you won't stop writing reviews, we all like to know what you thought of the books you read.

Thanks!  I love reading your reviews and will continue mine!

Oddly enough, I've been to Trinidad, several times- we vacation there and it is exactly described- actually, the grocery store Carly goes in, is one of the coolest grocery stores I've been to (it's called Murphy's).  Not even many people in California know about it, it is right on the coast and is like, population 300.  I've driven nearly the entire CA coast, so we found it!

Then I found out Catherine Ryan Hyde is from Cambria, a TINY costal town in the south, I've been there too! 

Re: the book- I loved the pace and I liked how the story was told between the past and the present, through the different states they travel through.  I also thought Carly's question of "Why not me?" was an excellent sidebar.  The end left me a little disappointed- "That's IT???"

If you liked it, I highly, highly recommend When I Met You by Hyde.  Did you know she wrote Pay it Forward?

I am currently reading "When I Found You" by Catherine Ryan Hyde.

I have driven the coast route several times. It is IMHO the most beautiful drive in the U.S.  I had a 3 month assignment in San Luis Obispo years ago and have visited Calif. many times. We raced at Laguna Seca one time. :)

I was not disappointed with the ending of Walk Me Home. I thought it fit in well with the book.

I am currently reading "When I Found You" by Catherine Ryan Hyde.

I have driven the coast route several times. It is IMHO the most beautiful drive in the U.S.  I had a 3 month assignment in San Luis Obispo years ago and have visited Calif. many times. We raced at Laguna Seca one time. :)

I was not disappointed with the ending of Walk Me Home. I thought it fit in well with the book.

Oh duh didn't see that you were already reading it!  Do you like it?

IMO, it IS the most beautiful drive in the US I've been from Seattle to Oceanside by Long Beach- through out parts of my life. 

We loved Southern Carolina too.  Myrtle Beach was so much fun.  The ocean there was so beautiful.

Glad you enjoyed Pillars Of The Earth, Anna; it was my first Follet , my sister passed it on to me otherwise i'm sure i would never have come across it. I remember it had a cover that made it look more like a Catherine Cookson novel but as soon as i started reading it i was hooked & i was sorry when i got to the end. I'd agree with Tim that the sequel is well worth a read i enjoyed it , though not quite as much as POTE  :smile: I've read a few of his others A Place Called Freedom & Eye Of The Needle which were both very good & A Dangerous Fortune which was a bit silly but readable all the same.

I'd agree with Tim that the sequel is well worth a read i enjoyed it , though not quite as much as POTE  :smile: I've read a few of his others A Place Called Freedom & Eye Of The Needle which were both very good & A Dangerous Fortune which was a bit silly but readable all the same.

Oh that's great to hear because I liked the writing so much in POTE.  I will totally read the sequel, maybe next, if Rushdie and Mr Mercedes doesn't catch me!  How are you liking Wild Swans so far?

Edited: Just saw the Wild Swan comments on the other thread... I'm 174 page in.  I read 2 books about footbinding and did a ton of research in the past.  What a bizarre custom.  Guess you could say the same about corset, ya?  Anyway, I am liking it- a lot.  It's quite different from Peal S Buck's China.  I am reading some Zombie shorts for the Read- a - thon, but today I might take sometime to read it... I missed it yesterday!

Edited by Anna Begins

zombie1.jpg(2/5- it was just ok)

Zombie Apocalypse 1

By Keith Luethke Kindle e-book, 72pages

zombie2.jpg(2/5)

Zombie Apocalypse 2: Spreading the Disease

By Keith Luethke Kindle e-book, 71 pages

(2/5)

Zombie Apocalypse 3: The Haunted Wasteland

By Keith Luethke Kindle e-book, 92 pages

(2/5)

Zombie Apocalypse 4: Those Who Remain

By Keith Luethke Kindle e-book, 58 pages

zombie5.jpg(2/5)

Zombie Apocalypse 5:  Desperate Measures

By Keith Luethke Kindle e-book, 85 pages

I read these for Athena's June read- a- thon and am reviewing them, mostly basically because the covers are so cool.

The book is the journal of Rachael Cormac, a woman in her early 20s, who has been stranded in her house, surrounded by Zombies, including her husband, who she has kept in the basement.  After being infected and taking an antidote which turns her into a half human, half Zombie, she decides to travel (on foot- why is it always on foot??) to her sister and niece in Ohio.  The journals continue, the author using terrible grammar that was not part of the character.  I don't know how many times I read "are" and not "our".  Anyway, the stories move along fast, as each page or so is a entry to the diary, describing past day or nights' events.  Rachael continues with her niece throughout different human settlements, sometimes teaming up with other Zombies to take out revenge on humans (for experimenting on Zombies) or arming herself with a weapon to save some humans.  It is a crazy story with not much character development, little description of motives...but somehow perfect for a read-a thon or in between book because of the pace and shortness of each ebook.  They turned out to be a nifty guilty pleasure.  The post wouldn't let me post all of the covers, but they are all on Amazon, once you click on the first book.  They are really different. 

There are around 12 or so of these!  I couldn't find much info on the writer but he ends each book saying he isn't planning to write another, but will continue to keep them to 99 cents if he does continue.  Pretty cool, considering the price of some 100 page singles or Amazon ebooks (King, Roth, etc).

Edited by Anna Begins

wildswans.jpg

(5/5) Wild Swans, Jung Chang 570pages

I don't even know what to say about this book.  Written so well and so well researched, Wild Swans follows the lives of three women from the 1870's to the 90's.  From a concubine (Jung Chang's grandmother) to her mother (a communist revolutionary), to herself, a British journalist, every part of this book tells the history of China along with that of the women.  Full of description of Communist China and the environment it caused, the lives that you lead with these women and the people in their lives, is brilliantly executed.

This was no Pearl S. Buck like I first imagined when I began it, but more of a modern portrayal of China, a different perspective- even the communist lack of colors (green, blue and grey) present a picture.  The hardships the Chinese experienced lead to a whole new respect for what went on during Mao's reign.

I must read Wild Swans this year. I haven't read a negative thing about it. :readingtwo:

I can't think of one bad thing to say about it, really!  Have you heard if Kidsmum finished it?  I haven't seen her around the last few days, we started the same time, but I took 3 days out for the read-a-thon.

Edited by Anna Begins

reacher.jpg

(3/5) Jack Reacher 17: A Wanted Man By Lee Child

I'm a bit apprehensive reviewing this book.  First of all, while reading this book, I found out Lee Child's pen name is Jim Grant and is a British author.  I feel lost.  I feel like Child (ahem!  Grant :angry: )  has misrepresented himself and the Reacher books just don't hold much excitement as they used too.  I don't even know if I will read the next one.  Maybe.  Of course. lol  Many writers use aliases and I don't mind.  But Child (Grant) knows so much about the US- population of any towns/ cities- down to the area codes and right down to which interstate to get from where to whrere, our military practices- and the history of our army... I dunno, it's just like he pretends to be American.  I guess all that info is on the internet somewhere but I can't shake the feeling he is an imposter of some kind.  I guess I just need to come to grips with it. 

Anyway, in A Wanted Man, we pick up where Worth Dying For ended.  You still do not have to read these in order.  With a broken nose that he set himself in Worth Dying For- and covered with a bandage made with silver duct tape- Reacher, as usual, is back on road hitchhiking, when he gets picked by two men and a woman.  He can see some sort of discussion between the two males in the front seat and the woman in the back, but thinks they are just figuring out whether or not to pick him up or not.  They do.  And it's Reacher to the rescue again.  There aren't any fight scenes or special characters in A Wanted Man, which was so so disappointing as the book didn't hold up so much without much action or supporting cast.  After a drawn out ending that makes no sense and is completely unbelievable, A Wanted Man continues with Reacher still trying to get to Virginia (to say why is a spoiler).

All in all,, it was ok.  The actual plot was better than some (Looking at you Gone Tomorrow!). 

(3/5)  It was just a normal read.

Edited to add: I guess a lot of Amazon reviews agree.

Edited by Anna Begins

I guess he does a lot of research. Elizabeth George is also British I believe, and writes about the US. I can imagine you find it hard to come to grips with it, I hope you will feel better about it in a while.

wildswans.jpg

(5/5) Wild Swans, Jung Chang 570pages

I don't even know what to say about this book.  Written so well and so well researched, Wild Swans follows the lives of three women from the 1870's to the 90's.  From a concubine (Jung Chang's grandmother) to her mother (a communist revolutionary), to herself, a British journalist, every part of this book tells the history of China along with that of the women.  Full of description of Communist China and the environment it caused, the lives that you lead with these women and the people in their lives, is brilliantly executed.

This was no Pearl S. Buck like I first imagined when I began it, but more of a modern portrayal of China, a different perspective- even the communist lack of colors (green, blue and grey) present a picture.  The hardships the Chinese experienced lead to a whole new respect for what went on during Mao's reign.

Great review :)  I have almost bought this book so many times, and I think your review has just decided it for me.  Guess I'll be paying a visit to the bookshop on Saturday!