The 5th Horseman 

The 6th Target

This is just a starting list for the year. More to be bought for sure :D

Edited by BSchultz19

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perks of being a Wallflower and Uncle Tom's Cabin are two of my favorite books.  I can highly recommend Divergent, as I am on the last book and have devoured these in a matter of DAYS.  Which one are you looking forward to the most?

Edited by Anna Begins

That's a lovely idea - I may just steal that to do myself! :smile: Despite loving poetry I don't read enough of it.

Happy reading in 2014, you have a great TBR list there.

I am the same way. I love reading poetry, but for some reason I don't read nearly enough of it. 

I just love how poetry makes everything so relatable. The fact that some poet who might even be dead by now is going through the same joys and sorrows that I'm going through is so interesting and comforting. 

Perks of being a Wallflower and Uncle Tom's Cabin are two of my favorite books.  I can highly recommend Divergent, as I am on the last book and have devoured these in a matter of DAYS.  Which one are you looking forward to the most?

I actually just finished Perks of being a Wallflower yesterday. I read it in two days so I'd say it was pretty good. 

As far as the book I am looking forward to the most...that's a hard question to answer. I think I'd have to go with Pride & Prejudice. I've heard so many great things about it and it will be the first Jane Austen book that I read, which I am really excited about because I've heard she's an amazing author. It's a shame that I haven't read any of her books yet. 

I loved Northanger Abbey, but I think Persuasion is my favourite Austen. :smile:

I think those are my two favorites :) Although if push came to shove, I'd say NA wins the battle... But nobody's pushing or shoving :D

I hope you have a great reading year in 2014, Schultz! :smile2:

What an amazing TBR list.  You've got quite a few books that feature on my all-time favourites list there:

Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen

Sense & Sensibility - Jane Austen

Emma - Jane Austen

David Copperfield - Charles Dickens

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

Moby Dick - Herman Melville

My favourite Austen is S & S (one of my top 5 books ever), so now you've got three different favourites (but have to admit P&P is superb too): P&P would be a good one to start with though, I agree.  Copperfield only runs second to Bleak House (also in the top 5) in my Dickens list. Melville is demanding, but incredibly rewarding.

Having said that, you've got some others I loved too. May not be 6-star ratings, but definitely recommended to at least give a go.

Great Expectations - Charles Dickens

Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen

Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde - Robert Louis Stevenson (liked pretty much all RLS)

Persuasion - Jane Austen

Life of Pi - Yann Martel (a marmite book!)

I'm currently listening to the audiobook of Don Quixote, and have been on and off for over a year now. That might sound like hard work, but in fact I'm enjoying it a lot. Not sure if I would have the stamina to read it - but may have to if I'm ever going to finish! Good luck with all of them, whichever you land up reading.

For everyone's information, there are a lot of classics because I figured that some of my first book purchases should be classics because they obviously have a lasting effect. I just recently started buying my own books because I'm a teenager and any books I owned before are children's books. My collection is very small compared to most of the people on this website, but I hope that someday it can grow to the sizes of some of the members here. 

That said, a lot of the books that I will buy in the near future will probably be more towards the Young adult/romance/fiction genre and less classics. The current list has a large amount of classics, but I by no means plan on reading all of those in one long string. I have decided to read in a pattern of classic-nonclassic-classic and so on. I hope that this way I can read a lot of books this year and at the same time introduce myself to some of the great literature that is out there. 

I hope for 2014 to be a good reading year :D

I can't believe it's taken me so long to realise who that is on your avatar :D I guess this means I'm to start kissing your ass, acting as we're best friends... Although I guess mine is being his old self, not the character...

We only need Pam and Dwight now... :D

Read Divergent today. It was so good that I only put it down to eat dinner. I am just glad that I already have the second book in my possession. I plan on starting it soon. :)

B-

I think you have a good plan to read some Classics ,but sprinkle in some YA since they seem to be very popular right now and would give you a nice switch -up from time to time .

Best of luck with your reading this year .

I thought the avatar was of yourself! Pray tell who is it then? I don't recognise him....

He is a character on The Office (US)

B-

I think you have a good plan to read some Classics ,but sprinkle in some YA since they seem to be very popular right now and would give you a nice switch -up from time to time .

Best of luck with your reading this year .

Good luck with your reading this year. Your teenage years are the perfect time to experiment with your reading, I read everything from Enid Blyton to Thomas Harris and Thomas Hardy. :)

Right now I have a lot of classics on my TBR because those are the ones that I know I will want to hold onto for awhile. I have read and will most likely read a lot of YA books throughout the year because my friends usually suggest them to me at random times. I also end up borrowing those books rather than buying them unless I really really enjoy them.