Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Didnt want to start a thread to ask a simple question so hope it ok here?

As a Harry Potter virgin can someone please tell me what the difference between the adults and childrens versions of the books are? Is it just the covers that are different?

MTIA KX

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Harry Potter virgin can someone please tell me what the difference between the adults and childrens versions of the books are? Is it just the covers that are different?

Yes, it's just the covers. You can see them here:

Adult cover

Children's cover

I got the adult one simply because I think it's far prettier!

That's all we need to add in these reading circles.. an idea if it's something to read after the book, or after a certain point.

Kylie, in 'Specific Books', there's a thread where you can go and chat about the book once finished. :)

Oops, sorry. I posted to the wrong thread :thud:

:friends0:Thanks Kell -

I agree the adult covers are prettier, I really dislike the childrens ones

Kx

I have the children's cover. I like the adult covers but the rest of my HP books are all children's covers so I had to stay consistent. My brother thought the adult's version meant that there was more swearing or x-rated stuff happening! :lol:

Just finished Ch23, don't read if you've not gotten that far...

That was the first death to bring tears to my eyes.. I cheered when Dobby arrived to help them, then to have him taken so soon...

Why did Harry see a flash of Dumbledore, then Dobby came? There has got to be a VERY good explaination if Dumbledore is alive.

Ooh, Michelle, you've got some GREAT stuff coming up! All will be revealed (especially in regards to the 2nd spoiler).

And I agree about the bit in the first spoiler. :thud::lol:

It had to happen, didn't it.. someone told me one of the people who died! :thud:

At end of Ch 34:

Don't read if you haven't read this far!

I'm not if knowing was the reason, but Fred's death had no effect on me, whereas Dobby's did.. how strange is that!? lol

Sirius's death affected me more watching the film, so I'm not sure I can watch film 6 and 7 at the cinema.. I'll be blubbing!

I have more to share on this whole thing, but think it will be easier to do in the 'finished' thread.. I'll be there soon! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
It had to happen, didn't it.. someone told me one of the people who died! :D

At end of Ch 34:

Don't read if you haven't read this far!

I'm not if knowing was the reason, but Fred's death had no effect on me, whereas Dobby's did.. how strange is that!? lol

Sirius's death affected me more watching the film, so I'm not sure I can watch film 6 and 7 at the cinema.. I'll be blubbing!

I have more to share on this whole thing, but think it will be easier to do in the 'finished' thread.. I'll be there soon! :D

It was exactly the same for me Michelle!

I almost cried when Dobby died whereas with Fred I didn't really feel the pain. I think it was because JK spent more time exploring the feelings with Dobby whereas Fred happened so fast and we moved on to the next bit in the battle. Johnny was shocked that I wasn't upset over Fred (especially because of George being left on his own) - so I'm pleased it wasn't just me that didn't feel it!!

My boyfriend usually buys the American covers as they are a nicer design... plus the American books have had a lot more effort put into the inside - I'm sure that there a little illustrations on the chapters and letters written out in handwriting etc. (if memory serves!) - you would think that the British publishers would put the same effort in, but sadly not!!

Yes, the American covers are beautiful! If you look at my Shelfari page, I have all of the Harry Potter's listed with the American covers. And there are little illustrations at the beginning of each chapter...but no handwriting. But there are some cool fonts!

And it's not just the fronts of the covers that are cool...each picture extends around to the back!

I'm a little further in, and am now appreciating that this is the last book, and all the characters could be in danger. I know we knew this, but it's starting to become a realistic idea now.. make sense?! lol

I thought this too..

I think there will be more too. I was sad about Hedwig too. :-( I felt that maybe that particular death was unnecessary - unless there is more to it that I haven't got to yet!

I think Hedwig died more as a shock factor, As you say, it seemed unnecessary and she was important to Harry. I think that something more was needed to make this first battle with Voldemort interesting. Harry couldn't just get from A to B with hardly anything happening. It is the last book and had to be dramatic to gain interest from the start.

I was so sad to see that

both Lupin and Tonks died. I thought their deaths deserved to have more said about them. How and where did it happen and who did it? They shouldn't have just died anonymously. It's terrible that so many members of the Order died without knowing if their deaths had been in vain or if they had been victorious.

I thought that too. I would have like to have known more of their deaths, but it was nice that Lupin turned up at the end.

I also wish that

Harry and Snape had reached some sort of an understanding before he died. I thought it was really touching that Snape wanted to see Harry's (Lily's) eyes before he died. I really did like him from the beginning :)

I almost wished that too, but they kind of did..

That was the first death to bring tears to my eyes.. I cheered when Dobby arrived to help them, then to have him taken so soon...

Me too. I loved Dobby as a character. Always thee for Harry, always cheerful and funny.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I thought it was a depressing read all in all.

Especially when Ron left :-(.

Happy ending though :-)

I felt there was so much room for plot development, for example;

Lupin and Tonks son being an orphan like harry. Draco's opinions now he is on the 'good side' etc.

• 1 year later...

Hurrah....I have eventually finished it. Think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't taken so long to read it, and reading other books inbetween.

It had the ending I thought it would be, but it did take a long time to get there! Too much hanging about in tents for me...lol. Poor Dobby, that upset me the most I think. Am I the only one who kinda had a soft spot for Snape, bad sort of turned good(ish). And good for Neville!

Wonder how the movie will turn out!

I agree with what Inver said. I didn't like

the bit in the future at the end. It was all a bit too cheesy for my liking.

I agree very muchly, i think i could really have done without that and been left to ponder. It closes so much off, so i just pretend i didn't read it :she:

• 4 weeks later...

I thought the future part wrapped it off pretty nicely. I could not believe the series was over so i re read it right after finishing it and I kinda understood it better because i had skipped some detail before. I love thhe Harry Potter Series.

Also if any ones

wondering the person that Teddy's (Tonk's and Lupin's Son) kissing at the end is Victoria (Bill and Fleur's Daughter).

Edited by Michelle
consecutive posts merged