Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Ok, so I think we have to have one of these! :)

IMPORTANT: If discussing plot points, please give an indication of how far through you are, and USE SPOILERS. If they are not used, people will be too fearful to enter the thread.

Q. How do I use the “spoiler” feature?

A. If you’re going to give away an important plot point, please use the spoiler tags (some members may not want to know what’s going to happen if they want to read it themselves). Using the spoiler tags couldn’t be easier – when making your post, click on the “S” button and then type your spoiler info between the spoiler tags. Members will then have to highlight that section of text if they want to read it. (If using Quick Reply, the code you need is [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] without the gaps.)

If you want to avoid spoilers completely, read the whole book, then visit this thread to discuss it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling people will be too scared to enter here, but never mind. :lol: If you do.. did you choose a particular cover, or were you not bothered? Morrisons only had the children's one, so that's the one I have. :lol:

Have read the first chapter..

not sure whether Snape is telling the truth or misleading.. I guess we'll find out. I like the fact that Draco is scared.. they're growing up now, and this is serious, not kids stuff!

promising start!

I bought the children's version in Tesco today - they had both, but I have the first three in adult paperback and the next three (before this) in children's hardback, so I'm going to buy hardback 1, 2 and 3 to get a matching set!

These are the only books I ever read as hardbacks!

I've read up to the end of chapter 6 so far and I'm really getting into it.

THE FOLLOWING IS *NOT* A SPOILER IF YOU'VE READ THE WHOLE OF CHAPTER 1!

Snape can't really be a baddy, can he?!

Yeah that makes sense. In a way I can't wait to finish it to find out who survives and who dies, but at the same time I know that once I get to the end I will never again read any new Harry Potter adventures. Which is actually kind of sad.

I haven't read any of the Harry Potters but I do intend to. Robbie has all the books and my dad got him the new one today which Robbie is planning to read this week.

I have told Robbie not to tell me ANYTHING about the last book as I don't want it spoilt and I am also having to ve very careful what I read!!!!

Goodness knows when I will start reading them though.....

I am halfway through, and like so many of us, I am sorry its the last book, its been a heck of a journey eh? x

I've ordered it and I'm now just waiting for it to arrive (I won't get it until about the 25th), but does it sound strange that I'm almost afraid to read it? I'm dreading this book's arrival! :lol:

I've managed to read the first 70-or-so pages this morning before Dale got up. I'm keeping schtum about what's happened except to say that it's all very exciting!

With regard to what happens during Chapters 4 & 5...

I have to admit to being a little surprised that there are two deaths so near the beginning. And yes I admit I did shed a tear or two over Hedwig! It just makes me wonder if these are the two that have been so widely publicised as happening or whether there will be more...I'm assuming that there will be more.

With regard to what happens during Chapters 4 & 5...

I have to admit to being a little surprised that there are two deaths so near the beginning. And yes I admit I did shed a tear or two over Hedwig! It just makes me wonder if these are the two that have been so widely publicised as happening or whether there will be more...I'm assuming that there will be more.

I think there will be more too. I was sad about Hedwig too. :-( I felt that maybe that particular death was unnecessary - unless there is more to it that I haven't got to yet!

I think there will be more too. I was sad about Hedwig too. :-( I felt that maybe that particular death was unnecessary - unless there is more to it that I haven't got to yet!

I totally agree with you Janet. And on the same subject...

There should be an unwrittern rule in books, along with films etc that all animal characters should live. Like you I can't understand why JK Rowling would kill off Hedwig, I mean she's been with Harry since he entered the magical world so why kill her. What is it going to acheive other than just hurting Harry...again.

I think there must be more deaths too as it's supposed to be two main characters and although I shed a tear or two over Hedwig she isn't really a main character and as much as I hate to admit it, Moody's death didn't really affect me all that much. Yes it was sad, but I think it was more sad due to the reactions of everyone else rather than the death itself.

What amazed me was that my local Waterstones ran out of copies at 9.30am! Was it hard to predict it might be kinda popular? :lol:

Loads of shops in Aberdeen had LOADS to spare even come the afternoon - THAT's what amazed me - LOL! Loads of kids were reading it in the street though - I loved that.

Am now off to read more HP in the bath - I can't wait to read more!

I totally agree with you Janet. And on the same subject...

There should be an unwrittern rule in books, along with films etc that all animal characters should live. Like you I can't understand why JK Rowling would kill off Hedwig, I mean she's been with Harry since he entered the magical world so why kill her. What is it going to acheive other than just hurting Harry...again.

I think there must be more deaths too as it's supposed to be two main characters and although I shed a tear or two over Hedwig she isn't really a main character and as much as I hate to admit it, Moody's death didn't really affect me all that much. Yes it was sad, but I think it was more sad due to the reactions of everyone else rather than the death itself.

Maybe she did it as they were in hiding and would be harder to hide with an owl hooting and Hedwig is recogisable and would she have gone in Hermiones bag?

Maybe she did it as they were in hiding and would be harder to hide with an owl hooting and Hedwig is recogisable and would she have gone in Hermiones bag?

Yeah you have a point, but they wouldn't have needed to take her with them. They could have left her with the Weasleys, which is where I'm assuming Herminone left Crookshanks.

SPOILERS RELATE TO ENTIRE BOOK - DO NOT READ IF UNFINISHED

Do you think Lavender died or became a werewolf? It doesn't really seem clear in the book. Or is she mentioned later on in the book and I just missed the reference?

I was so sad to see that

both Lupin and Tonks died. I thought their deaths deserved to have more said about them. How and where did it happen and who did it? They shouldn't have just died anonymously. It's terrible that so many members of the Order died without knowing if their deaths had been in vain or if they had been victorious.

I also wish that

Harry and Snape had reached some sort of an understanding before he died. I thought it was really touching that Snape wanted to see Harry's (Lily's) eyes before he died. I really did like him from the beginning :lol:

Am now about 2/3rds of the way in and a character I always believed would play a large part in the on-going saga has just shown up (I'm not going to say who!). Am mightily pleased that this person has arrived and I can see them risking life an limb in the not too distant future. However, I'm really hoping they're not one of the ones scheduled to die - I'd be VERY upset if that were to happen!