Kidsmum's Reading Log 2014

Kidsmum

KM

I'm currently reading /   * listening (*about 5 minutes a night before falling asleep)   :Zzzz:

to Cranford by Gaskell . I've also found it on youtube as a video ,so watching along (but the video doesn't totally match up to the book ).

I'm really enjoying it . It's pretty funny in parts and it looks like a nice place to live !  (If you don't mind nosey neighbors knowing your every move )  :)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Wives and Daughters, North and South, Mary Barton and Return To Cranford: Cranford And Other Stories on my TBR. Have you read any of these, KM? Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the one you read very much though, that's not nice :(. I hope your next read will be more enjoyable :).

Cousin Phillis:  Personally i hoped she would rise from her torpor & run riot with an axe in the village this would have lifted the story considerably & elevated it from a 2* read to a 3*.

:D I agree totally .. not one of Gaskell's best. I remember it just depressed me .. making Phillis into an axe murderer, or at the very least menacer, would have improved it no end. She never made that leap from page to imagination .. she stayed .. very drearily .. on the page for me. 

Yes, she is Matilda ( I think some people call her Matty) and the man who moves in across the street with the 2 daughters is the butler from Downton ! 

Yes i remember now, Jim Carter is his name but from now on he'll always be the butler from Downton Abbey what ever he appears in  :D

I have Wives and Daughters, North and South, Mary Barton and Return To Cranford: Cranford And Other Stories on my TBR. Have you read any of these, KM? Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the one you read very much though, that's not nice :(. I hope your next read will be more enjoyable :).

I've read the first three in your list Athena & enjoyed them all, yes Cousin Phillis was disappointing especially seeing as i enjoyed her other books but i guess all authors have some dud books as well  :smile:

:D I agree totally .. not one of Gaskell's best. I remember it just depressed me .. making Phillis into an axe murderer, or at the very least menacer, would have improved it no end. She never made that leap from page to imagination .. she stayed .. very drearily .. on the page for me. 

Yes Phillis was a bit of a drip  :giggle:  I'm finding The Goldfinch to be a good antidote to a dull book though so my mojo is happy  :D

I left some books in at the charity shop yesterday but couldn't resist the BOGOF deal so i came home with

Daughter Of Fortune  Isabel Allende

Strange Affair  Peter Robinson

Daughter Of Fortune - Isabel Allende is really good read  :smile: .

Who can resist BOGOF offers?! :giggle2:  

KM

Finished watching Cranford and Return to Cranford last night . They also had Mary from Downton in it ! I'm sure you already knew that . I don't know any of the actor's real names, so I just know them from Downton .

What a REALLY wonderful series of shows . I need to pull out my Cranford book and read it , since I've tried for days now to listen to the audiobook and I fall asleep before I get very far . ( Still on chapter 1  )

By the way, Isabel Allende is great ! Hope you enjoy her .

Thanks to everyone for your supportive messages about my Dad just to let you all know that he passed away very peacefully on Friday evening. I'm feeling okay, sad that he's gone but glad that he's finally at peace but  i wont be on for awhile as i'm organising the funeral & sorting out his affairs.

Thanks to everyone for your supportive messages about my Dad just to let you all know that he passed away very peacefully on Friday evening. I'm feeling okay, sad that he's gone but glad that he's finally at peace but  i wont be on for awhile as i'm organising the funeral & sorting out his affairs.

Very sorry to hear of this, and sorry I didn't see it before.  Sometimes it is difficult to sort out our feelings at a time like this, but I'm sending healing and supportive vibes to you.  And hugs. :friends0:

I'm so sorry KM for your loss :(

Sending hugs your way. My inbox is always open if you ever need to chat.