Kidsmum's Reading Log 2014

Kidsmum

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have it in the `free for Kindle` version, so it`s in my virtual reality TBR. :smile:

For some reason my virtual reality TBR doesn't bother me as much as my paperbooks TBR. Though they both do add to my TBR numbers.

For some reason my virtual reality TBR doesn't bother me as much as my paperbooks TBR. Though they both do add to my TBR numbers.

Same here ; I`m only aware of my Kindle TBR when I use the Kindle, otherwise, it`s like it doesn`t really exist.

I don`t count the books on it though, perhaps I should ( though I think I`d keep the book numbers separate from my `real` TBR ). :smile:

I don't count eBooks either.  :)

Strange, isn`t it ; they`ve got the same wordies in `em, but they`re still not real. :giggle2:

I find I`m using my Kindle a lot as a sort of excerpts` library, for books which I`m thinking of getting at some point.

Congratulations on more books, I hope you enjoy them :). I have The Good Soldier on my TBR.

Thanks Athena, i haven't read anything by him before but i did watch Parades End on the TV awhile back with the lovely Benedict Cumberbatch & really enjoyed it  :smile:

I have it in the `free for Kindle` version, so it`s in my virtual reality TBR. :smile:

Goodness knows how big my TBR mountain would become if i had a kindle  :o

Went for a coffee with OH this afternoon & popped into the charity shops & bought some great books

I Know Why The Caged Birds Sing  Maya Angelou - i've read it before but long enough ago to have forgotten most it  :smile: 

The Kitchen House  Kathleen Grissom - review on the back says " Forget Gone With The Wind....A story that grabs the reader & demands to be devoured.Wow"

Burial Rites Hannah Kent - this was in the half price box.... great find!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Wild Swans  Jung Chang

51kHo-YUttL._AA160_.jpg

The story of three generations of women from one chinese family , Wild Swans begins at the end of the 1800's with concubines & footbindings & goes on to cover among other things the Boxer Rebellion, Cultural Revolution & the death of Mao. 

What i liked about the book was that i learnt an awful lot about what life was for most people under communism something i knew very little about. I did however find this quite a difficult read because it was so harrowing . Communism while sounding wonderful in theory when put into practise caused such devastation & hardship & Mao's increasingly bizarre demands of his people, tearing up grass because it was bourgeios & spontaneous loyalty dances round statues of Mao waving the little red book would be laughable if they hadn't caused such suffering. So did i enjoy the book, yes & no, i thought it was definitely a worthwhile read as i learnt so much about life in China under Mao's rule but i did find it unrelentingly depressing .

4/6

After Flodden  Rosemary Goring

51kzQPnOVqL._AA160_.jpg

Set in 1513 in Scotland after the battle of Flodden , Louise Brenier searches for her brother Benoit lost in action. She seeks help from Patrick Paniter James IV advisor who was also at Flodden & is now a broken man & is accompanied on her quest by the dashing Gilbert Torrance. Her journey brings her into contact with the rough & ready clans of the borderlands when she is taken captive by them.

This is in essence a romance story in a historical setting. I would have preferred a bit more history & a lot less romance as  you could tell how it was going to pan out right from the beginning, so no real surprises there . But it was an easy & quite enjoyable read a good holiday book & i did enjoy the ending where you find out why Paniter is such a tormented soul.

3/6

Wild Swans  Jung Chang

51kHo-YUttL._AA160_.jpg

The story of three generations of women from one chinese family , Wild Swans begins at the end of the 1800's with concubines & footbindings & goes on to cover among other things the Boxer Rebellion, Cultural Revolution & the death of Mao. 

What i liked about the book was that i learnt an awful lot about what life was for most people under communism something i knew very little about. I did however find this quite a difficult read because it was so harrowing . Communism while sounding wonderful in theory when put into practise caused such devastation & hardship & Mao's increasingly bizarre demands of his people, tearing up grass because it was bourgeios & spontaneous loyalty dances round statues of Mao waving the little red book would be laughable if they hadn't caused such suffering. So did i enjoy the book, yes & no, i thought it was definitely a worthwhile read as i learnt so much about life in China under Mao's rule but i did find it unrelentingly depressing .

4/6

Aw!  I didn't think it depressing, mostly because everyone got out.   BUT I do agree with all the Communism comments- I've read about Mao and that period before, but never have I come across such detail of that lifestyle.  Did you know she also wrote a biography on Mao?  I want to read it, it's only 800 pages :P

Did you know she also wrote a biography on Mao?  I want to read it, it's only 800 pages :P

I didn't know that..... 800 pages ...... i guess she had plenty to say about him :giggle2: I would be interested in reading about Mrs Mao, she was some piece of work :o ....... i'd love to know what made her tick :hide:

I didn't know that..... 800 pages ...... i guess she had plenty to say about him :giggle2: I would be interested in reading about Mrs Mao, she was some piece of work :o ....... i'd love to know what made her tick :hide:

I did some reading on Personality Cults a few years ago and was studying that part of Mao when I ran across "The Gang of Four", consisting of Mao's wife.  So here is some more about her:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiang_Qing

I really want to read Wild Swans, although I'm sure it was a harrowing read.

When I was much younger I read Chinese Cinderella which is supposed to be aimed at younger readers but it is an emotional one - the effects of communism plus the horrendous treatment for a young girl at the hands of her family. Just awful.