Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2014

Little Pixie

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Book # 3   Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourne          TBR 735                        New Books Bought : 4 Total Cost : £5.78

Amazon Synopsis :

This is the marvellous sequel to the evocative "Silent in the Grave".Fresh from a six-month sojourn in Italy, Lady Julia returns home to Sussex to find her father's estate crowded with family and friends - but dark deeds are afoot at the deconsecrated abbey, and a murderer roams the ancient cloisters. Much to her surprise, the one man she had hoped to forget - the enigmatic and compelling Nicholas Brisbane - is among her father's houseguests...But the homecoming celebrations quickly take a ghastly turn when one of the guests is found brutally murdered in the chapel, and a member of Lady Julia's own family confesses to the crime. Certain of her cousin's innocence, Lady Julia resumes her unlikely and deliciously intriguing partnership with Nicholas Brisbane, setting out to unravel a tangle of deceit before the killer can strike again.

Lovely book, just the thing to read snuggled up in bed on a cold Winter`s night. :D Lady Julia investigates another mystery in her need to do more than pour tea, do embroidery and be purely decorative. There are great descriptions of the cold in the Abbey and the scariness of being snowed in with a murderer, and some witticisms about how trying it is for the hostess to have a body in the game larder. Ooh, and this delightful passage :

“I would give up everything for you, Giulia"
I smiled at him gently. "But you must understand. I should never want a man to give up anything for me. I should want him to feel in winning me he has won the whole world...”

Swoon. :D

Wow, those ARE some terrific buys ! You can't pass them up when they are bestsellers and that low priced, can you ?  I'd hate to print out all the pages of books I have purchased at amazon . It would be a pretty scarey thought.

If I would've spent the same on Fuzzy Navels, I'd be Drunk as a Skunk for YEARS  .

:giggle2:

I did pass up buying Terry Pratchett - Raising Steam @ 99p, but that`s `cos I have the other 39 Discworld books as book books, so didn`t want to get a different format. :smile:

Thanks for that - I've grabbed Life after Life instantly! I see most of the Man Booker shortlist are at the same price too: a pity I bought the paper books in a deal from The Book People, The Luminaries on the Kindle is a lot lighter!

I feel like I should apologise for increasing people`s TBRs. Still, @99p , it`s the sort of bargain you just can`t ignore. ;)

I've just bought Life After Life and The Luminaries. £0.99 each...such a bargain!

I thought about The Luminaries, but decided that if I wasn`t wildly excited about a book, I shouldn`t get it. I`ll take a chance on a charity book, `cos I know I can donate it back, but Kindle seems permanent somehow. ;) And I don`t want to go down the road of ` It`s only 99p, I`ll try it....`   :smile:

Book # 3   Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourne          TBR 735                        New Books Bought : 4 Total Cost : £5.78

Amazon Synopsis :

This is the marvellous sequel to the evocative "Silent in the Grave".Fresh from a six-month sojourn in Italy, Lady Julia returns home to Sussex to find her father's estate crowded with family and friends - but dark deeds are afoot at the deconsecrated abbey, and a murderer roams the ancient cloisters. Much to her surprise, the one man she had hoped to forget - the enigmatic and compelling Nicholas Brisbane - is among her father's houseguests...But the homecoming celebrations quickly take a ghastly turn when one of the guests is found brutally murdered in the chapel, and a member of Lady Julia's own family confesses to the crime. Certain of her cousin's innocence, Lady Julia resumes her unlikely and deliciously intriguing partnership with Nicholas Brisbane, setting out to unravel a tangle of deceit before the killer can strike again.

Lovely book, just the thing to read snuggled up in bed on a cold Winter`s night. :D Lady Julia investigates another mystery in her need to do more than pour tea, do embroidery and be purely decorative. There are great descriptions of the cold in the Abbey and the scariness of being snowed in with a murderer, and some witticisms about how trying it is for the hostess to have a body in the game larder. Ooh, and this delightful passage :

“I would give up everything for you, Giulia"

I smiled at him gently. "But you must understand. I should never want a man to give up anything for me. I should want him to feel in winning me he has won the whole world...”

Swoon. :D

Goes on the "not bought"/wishlist.......sounds good!  Excellent review. :)

Goes on the "not bought"/wishlist.......sounds good!  Excellent review. :)

Thank you. :D  There`s a  Kindle sample/ excerpt...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Grave-Lady-Julia-Novel-ebook/dp/B004ZM079I/ref=la_B001H6IPEY_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389034859&sr=1-6

.. for the first in the series, but I thought this second one was even better. :smile:  They seem to be available on Kindle but out of print here, which I think`s a real shame ; the two which I`ve read - and I do have another 3 in my TBR pile - have been such a delight.

I seem to have ordered more books. :blush2:

I needed to get a new weighing scale and it`s half the price on Amazon (£6)  than in my supermarket ; unfortunately, there`s something now about needing to spend more than £10 to qualify for free delivery if it`s for non-books/DVD, so I`ve put some books into the basket with the scales. Then I realised that my used books weren`t bumping the basket up to £10, `cos Amazon was only adding the cost of the book ( 1p, or 25p ) rather than the total cost with p&p, so I had to add in a pre-order book to get the basket up to over £10.

I forgot my reasoning for not taking out the used books now. Hmm. :giggle2:

I was planning to only buy one of the Patricia Moyes mystery books once I`d read each one, but then I thought, I`ll read them all anyway, why not buy a few now. And so on. Oopsies.

No, the logic doesn`t make sense to me either. :blush2:

And the books are :

Lisa Kogan - Someone Will Be with You Shortly: Notes from a Perfectly Imperfect Life £2.81

Donna Andrews -Duck the Halls £.4.91 Pre-order

Patricia Moyes - Johnny Under Ground: Inspector Tibbett Investigates £3.44
Patricia Moyes - Death on the agenda £2.81
Patricia Moyes - Murder a la Mode £3.01
Patricia Moyes - Falling Star £3.05

TBR   741      New Books Bought : 10            Total Cost : £25.81

Edited by Little Pixie

TBR now down to 735, after I realised that Kindle books are imaginary and shouldn`t be included in the TBR. :giggle:

:D I'm only counting treebooks in my TBR lists too, as 56 ebooks are as light as a feather, and I don't trip over them either  :giggle2:

I seem to have ordered more books. :blush2:

TBR   741      New Books Bought : 10            Total Cost : £25.81

Ah, slight hitch with the TBRs again.... :rolol:

Pixie

:D:giggle2:  :rolol:

:giggle::blush2:

I went in for kitchen scales, I came out with six books. Almost a day later, and I still don`t know quite what happened there. :giggle2:

Hope you`re keeping warm Julie, I`m guessing you`re affected by all that snow on the news too ? :smile:

Edited by Little Pixie

:D I'm only counting treebooks in my TBR lists too, as 56 ebooks are as light as a feather, and I don't trip over them either  :giggle2:

Ah, slight hitch with the TBRs again.... :rolol:

I`m not even sure how many unreal books I`ve got on Kindle, but most of them were freebies, so they really don`t count. It`s great to be able to `hide` so many books, isn`t it. ;)

And yes, that TBR just won`t stay down. :blink:

I`m not even sure how many unreal books I`ve got on Kindle, but most of them were freebies, so they really don`t count. It`s great to be able to `hide` so many books, isn`t it. ;)

Nice try :lol:

Anyway, thanks to your post up-thread about the 99p-ers, I dived in and bought four more books yesterday :banghead:  :giggle2:

Nice try :lol:

Anyway, thanks to your post up-thread about the 99p-ers, I dived in and bought four more books yesterday :banghead:  :giggle2:

Heh-heh-heh... :devcat:

I might - at some point - do a count of how many books ( erm, I mean `books` ) I have on Kindle. ^_^ Or not. :giggle:

:D I'm only counting treebooks in my TBR lists too.....

Great idea! I've started tagging my TBR list on LibraryThing. I'm about three-quarters through it, and so far I'm up to around 650 even if sticking to paper books! About 10 years hard reading there!

Edited by willoyd

Heh-heh-heh... :devcat:

I might - at some point - do a count of how many books ( erm, I mean `books` ) I have on Kindle. ^_^ Or not. :giggle:

Be warned with counting your ebooks   :o  :blush2: - I thought I had approx. 60 on my Kobo reader, but when I actually counted them, there are nearly 140 *snort*!! Plus 30 something in the Kobo cloud ether, that aren't in the actual reader :lol: . 

Great idea! I've started tagging my TBR list on LibraryThing. I'm about three-quarters through it, and so far I'm up to around 650 even if sticking to paper books! About 10 years hard reading there!

I'm think that I should put just my paperback TBRs on my LibraryThing, just to remind me how bad I am at buying them, then never reading them  :blush2: . Then it will also limit the list to 200 (I only have the "free 200" so far :giggle: ) I joined the ROOT - 2014 Read Your Own Tomes group this morning, for some extra moral support.  Well, there are two chances of my making any effort of my TBR lists - slim chance, or fat chance  :lol: !

I joined the ROOT - 2014 Read Your Own Tomes group this morning, for some extra moral support.  Well, there are two chances of my making any effort of my TBR lists - slim chance, or fat chance  :lol: !

x

Good luck! And :lol:!

Eep ! I`ve no idea how much I`ve spent on Amazon on books and DVDs over the years... :hide:

And yes, I`m going to keep a running total this year for books, in the hope that I`ll read more books than I buy, if I`m confronted with the cost and number of new books - though that could be our old friend Denial talking. :giggle2:

Talking of which, I`ve just bought 3 Kindle books for 99p each. :blush2::giggle:

The Fault in our Stars - John Green :  I just read an excerpt and it looks fantastically funny and touching.

The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt             : I was waiting for a cheap `real` book, but 99p for an ebook ?  If I love it, I can always get a treebook in the future. :smile:

Life after Life - Kate Atkinson            : Another book I was waiting for a cheapy copy of. << Too excited at bargains to bother with grammar. ;)

TBR 736   New Books Bought : 4      Total Cost : £5.78

I have wanted to read 'Life After Life' for a while now. I look forward to reading what you think of this. Happy Reading in 2014! :D

Inspector Henry Tibbett Mysteries - Patricia Moyes - The Curious Affair of the Third Dog , Season of Snows and Sins , Many Deadly Returns , Murder Fantastical , Black Widower, Death and the Dutch Uncle. Total cost : £17.83

.. Are all books which I seem to have purchased on Amazon Marketplace. Most of them are coming from the US, so it`ll be ages before they`re actually in the house, which somehow seems better. A combination of a stinking cold and my big toenail coming off (* ick* ) are my excuses for needing to be cheered up with a mini book buying spree. :giggle2:

Ah, I remember the days when 6 books was actually a major spree. :giggle:

Ooh, I remember only having 650 books in my TBR. *sighs*