Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2014

Little Pixie

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course not!  :D There is no such thing as "too many books" so how can a TBR list possibly be "out of control and long"?  :lol:

Hmm, it just looks that way to me sometimes. ;) Maybe if it wasn`t in piles round the house and instead on neat ickle rows on shelves. :giggle2:

Edited by Little Pixie

Oh wow, what a massive and eclectic TBR :D You have some amazing reads ahead of you.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon

This is superb. A doorstopper, yes, but superb :cool:

The winter queen - Boris Akunin

I really hope you enjoy this one. I think it was my first Russian detective/crime novel, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. A rather interesting premise to the story... I would say!

Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides

This is one of my favorites.. A rather epic saga of a few generations, with an interesting outcome...

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop cafe - Fannie Flagg

I have to ask, have you seen the movie? :)

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society - Shaffer/Barrows

And last but not least, this is such a darling book... I feel all warm and fuzzy whenever I just think of the novel :smile2:

I hope you have a great reading year in 2014! :readingtwo:

Oh wow, what a massive and eclectic TBR :D You have some amazing reads ahead of you.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon

This is superb. A doorstopper, yes, but superb :cool:

The winter queen - Boris Akunin

I really hope you enjoy this one. I think it was my first Russian detective/crime novel, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. A rather interesting premise to the story... I would say!

Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides

This is one of my favorites.. A rather epic saga of a few generations, with an interesting outcome...

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop cafe - Fannie Flagg

I have to ask, have you seen the movie? :)

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society - Shaffer/Barrows

And last but not least, this is such a darling book... I feel all warm and fuzzy whenever I just think of the novel :smile2:

I hope you have a great reading year in 2014! :readingtwo:

Yes - I saw the Fried Green Tomatoes film when it came out and really liked it. It really sticks in my memory, such a lot of fun scenes. :giggle2:

I`ve previously read a Boris Akunin book, so must get round to more of his work ; I also have one of his books about a detective Nun. :smile:

Oh, and Steve read the Chabon book, so I got it `cos he seemed to really like it.

Edited by Little Pixie

Happy reading in 2014! :D

and i thought I had a lot of books :giggle2:

Edited by Devi

First book of the year - whoo !

Book # 1     Dead Men Don`t Ski by Patricia Moyes       TBR 737        New books bought : 1            Total cost : £.2.81

Rue Morgue Press Synopsis :

"I can't remember a case with so many motives," Emmy remarks to her husband, Chief Inspector Henry Tibbett. "Hauser must have been just about the most hated man in Europe." The Tibbetts are at a small resort in the Italian Tirol for a spot of skiing and to look into a little matter of interest to Interpol. The "most hated man in Europe" is Fritiz Hauser, a fat, odious little man who is a frequent visitor to the lodge, although he does not ski. The lodge itself is located high above a small village and is reachable only via the longest chair-lift in Europe. It is on that chair-lift that Hauser's body is discovered with a bullet through his heart. Just about all the guests at the resort had reason to want Hauser dead, including a group of youngish Brits, the blustery Col. Buckfast and his ever complaining wife, a lovely but unhappy Baroness, her husband, a dark, young sculptor from Rome, and a German nanny. Even the staff is not beyond suspicion. An Italian policeman is in charge and he does a marvelous job of compiling timetables but it's up to Henry's intuitive police work, what he calls his "nose," that finally reveals whodunit. Published in 1959, this would be the first of nineteen books in which the Tibbetts solve crimes in various locales around the globe. As Katherine Hall Page says in her introduction, Moyes worked in the grand tradition of the Golden Age detective novel.

Just a brilliant book to start off the year with. Henry and Emmy go off on holiday to ski in the Italian Alps ; it`s the 1950`s, so there`re plenty of boats and trains to get there, and talk of the exotic locales and yummy new food. Inspector Henry and wife Emmy are a lovely double-act ; I was actually disappointed when the murder happened, `cos I was so enjoying the story of their little holiday. The murder is one of those `how on earth did that happen ? ` murders, which no-one could`ve done, so there`s an ingenious solution ahead. The writing is a lot better than it needed to be ( trying not to be patronising, but some mysteries rely totally on their plot to the detriment of the prose, while this one has a great plot and is a real delight to read too -  a suspect is described as facing down a policeman like a bull glaring at an inexperienced matador. :giggle: )

Emmy does lots of detective work herself - at Henry`s behest - and comes across as a real partner rather than someone there just to listen to some exposition. I really hope the double-act continues in the rest of the series. I`d never heard of this author and couldn`t find any excerpts, but am so glad I ordered the book - such a great read.

Oh, and I`ve ordered the next one in the series - take that, TBR ! :giggle2:

Oh, and Steve read the Chabon book, so I got it `cos he seemed to really like it.

Yeah, it's brilliant - but I only got it because frankie recommended it or, rather, put it on her challenge list for me  :D

Ah .. splitting your TBR into two columns to make it look less enormous .. why didn't I think of that? :D

You haven't made it look less though .. it's an absolute beast :D I feel quite smug now about my minuscule collection  :blush2: 

Happy Reading in 2014 LP!  :smile: 

Oh man you've already read a book  :o .. it hasn't made a dent in that TBR though :D 

Book # 2     The Watchtower by Lee Carroll      TBR 736               New books bought : 1     Total cost : £.2.81

Goodreads Synopsis : 

Jewelry designer Garet James is still coming to terms with the astounding revelation in BLACK SWAN RISING that she is the last in a long line of women sworn to protect the world from evil. Now she has received a sign from Will Hughes, the 400-year-old vampire who once helped her defeat the evil threatening to destroy New York City. Hughes, tortured by his own violent history which is vividly reenacted here, has asked her to join him on a quest to rid himself of his curse of vampirism. While looking for Will in Paris, Garet encounters a number of mysterious figures-an ancient botanist metamorphosed into the oldest tree in Paris, a gnome who lives under the Labyrinth at the Jardin des Plantes, a librarian at the Institut Oceanographique, and a dryad in the Luxembourg Gardens.

Each encounter leads Garet closer to finding Will Hughes, but she realizes that she’s not the only one who’s trying to find the way to the magical world called the Summer Country. As Garet struggles to understand her family legacy, each answer she finds only leads to more questions—and to more danger.…

Boo, not a patch on the previous book. :sleeping-smiley-009   This book alternates chapters ; the ones with Garet are interesting and fun, the ones with Will just drag on and on - and it takes till after page 200 for all of Will`s chapters to be worth it and you realise you needed all of his the backstory for the whole story to go forward. Pretty boring in places, with some fun characters and scenes which don`t really make up for all that endless.exposition. *Sigh*.

Ah .. splitting your TBR into two columns to make it look less enormous .. why didn't I think of that? :D

You haven't made it look less though .. it's an absolute beast :D I feel quite smug now about my minuscule collection  :blush2: 

Pah, it wasn`t me trying to disguise the size of my TBR - it was the Board Computer ! It kept whining that my message was too long, so I had to split the TBR into two posts. :giggle: How dare even the Computer judge me for my TBR size !! :doh:

And give your collection time.. :giggle2:

Happy Reading in 2014 LP!

Oh man you've already read a book .. it hasn't made a dent in that TBR though

Thank you. :D

And my TBR`s now down by 1 - huzzah ! :blush2:

Hurray, we seem to be escaping the floods this year ; the river`s up to the garden but shouldn`t come up too much further. Next door`s garden has flooded `cos it`s longer ; the kiddies next door can go boating on their lawn again like they did on Xmas Day. :giggle2:

Pixie

I just noticed your little notes at the side about how much a book cost you . Are you gonna keep a running tally of what you spend for the year ? THAT would definitely stop my book buying , I think . I hate even looking at the amount I've spent on past orders at amazon . WOW ..... Not good . We could have bought a used car for the same amount  !

Pixie

I just noticed your little notes at the side about how much a book cost you . Are you gonna keep a running tally of what you spend for the year ? THAT would definitely stop my book buying , I think . I hate even looking at the amount I've spent on past orders at amazon . WOW ..... Not good . We could have bought a used car for the same amount  !

Eep ! I`ve no idea how much I`ve spent on Amazon on books and DVDs over the years... :hide:

And yes, I`m going to keep a running total this year for books, in the hope that I`ll read more books than I buy, if I`m confronted with the cost and number of new books - though that could be our old friend Denial talking. :giggle2:

Talking of which, I`ve just bought 3 Kindle books for 99p each. :blush2::giggle:

The Fault in our Stars - John Green :  I just read an excerpt and it looks fantastically funny and touching.

The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt             : I was waiting for a cheap `real` book, but 99p for an ebook ?  If I love it, I can always get a treebook in the future. :smile:

Life after Life - Kate Atkinson            : Another book I was waiting for a cheapy copy of. << Too excited at bargains to bother with grammar. ;)

TBR 736   New Books Bought : 4      Total Cost : £5.78

Edited by Little Pixie

Wow, those ARE some terrific buys ! You can't pass them up when they are bestsellers and that low priced, can you ?  I'd hate to print out all the pages of books I have purchased at amazon . It would be a pretty scarey thought.

If I would've spent the same on Fuzzy Navels, I'd be Drunk as a Skunk for YEARS  .

Talking of which, I`ve just bought 3 Kindle books for 99p each. :blush2::giggle:

The Fault in our Stars - John Green :  I just read an excerpt and it looks fantastically funny and touching.

The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt             : I was waiting for a cheap `real` book, but 99p for an ebook ?  If I love it, I can always get a treebook in the future. :smile:

Life after Life - Kate Atkinson            : Another book I was waiting for a cheapy copy of. << Too excited at bargains to bother with grammar. ;)

Thanks for that - I've grabbed Life after Life instantly! I see most of the Man Booker shortlist are at the same price too: a pity I bought the paper books in a deal from The Book People, The Luminaries on the Kindle is a lot lighter!