Athena's Reading List 2014

Athena

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Athena

How are you ? Sure looks like you  have been reading a wide range of books lately ! What number are you up to ?

Hey Julie :006:!

I'm doing allright. I've been very tired lately, my energy levels are pretty low. I'm having lots of appointments with the hospital / GGZ to try and help me with this.

I have read a lot of books :). I've currently read 237 books this year :blush2:. I don't think that's happened since I was a child (but then I read shorter books). I'm secretly hoping I'll make it to 250 before the year is over but I don't know if I will be able to or not.

I have also just become a member of my library, last Saturday, in order to hopefully stop me from buying a lot of more pricey books. I look forward to spend some time in the library next year and see if it brings me any nice interesting reads. So far, one book I borrowed was really nice, two others were not as the translation into Dutch was.. well, not good. The library does have some English books too so I think next time I'll take a look at them, as well.

Overall I'm very satisfied with my reading lately :). I'm reading a variety of genres though some more than others (mainly those I like the best, I think).

I hope you're okay too :friends0:.

Sophie Kinsella - Shopaholic: Shopaholic on Honeymoon

23718418.jpg

Genre: Chick-lit

Age-range: Adult

Format: Ebook (free short story)

Pages: 16

Date read: 10-12-2014

Synopsis: (no synopsis because it's part of a series)

My thoughts: I found out by chance that this short story was just released, for free, on Sophie Kinsella's website. I wanted to read it immediately as it's short and I love this series.

This short story takes place just after Shopaholic Ties the Knot. In this short story, Becky is on her honeymoon (as the title implies). I really enjoyed reading again about Becky and there were quite a few funny bits in the short story. I liked the writing style. I did think though that the 'problem' seemed solved too soon, which is really the only downside of this. I get though, that the story has to connect to what happens in the rest of the books, and it has to end up where Shopaholic & Sister begins.

Overall then I quite enjoyed reading this story and reading again about Becky and Lucky and my only real complaint is the ending / last bit of it. It's a nice short free story that fills in a little gap between two of the bigger books. Since it's free, I definitely recommend reading it if you liked the other Shopaholic books and have read at least up to Shopaholic Ties the Knot. That said, you can still enjoy this story if you don't know the characters, but then of course it is spoiled that Becky goes on a honeymoon and such (as you can tell from the title..).

Rating: (*****) (9/10)

Chrissie Manby - The Christmas List

18925351.jpg

Format: Kindle

Pages: 100

Date read: 09-12-2014 <-> 11-12-2014

Synopsis (GoodReads):It’s the 1st of December and Milly Arnold is facing a miserable Noel. Newly single, the last thing she wants to do is join her settled sister and her young family for the first of their traditions: the writing of the Christmas lists. However Milly’s nephews have other ideas and insist she writes a list of her own (with illustrations to help Father Christmas decipher her terrible handwriting). Milly duly makes a request for a bunch of roses, some chocolate and a new pair of shoes. She doesn’t expect to get any of it.

However, that very day, a box of chocolates appears, swiftly followed by the roses. And when Milly wins a voucher to buy a pair of shoes, she begins to wonder if there’s something in this Christmas cosmic ordering after all. She quickly amends her first letter. However, as Christmas gets closer and the items she requested appear in increasingly unexpected ways, Milly starts to worry that Santa might be taking her list just a little too literally...

My thoughts: Since it's December I wanted to read something Christmassy. I quite like the couple of books I've read by Chrissie Manby / Chris Manby so I thought I'd give this Christmas novella a try.

This book was pretty interesting. I liked the writing style and I enjoyed reading it. I liked the characters and there are several plot twists I didn't see coming. I didn't think this book was as good as the other Christmas book I read by her earlier this month, A Proper Family Christmas, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novella.

In the Netherlands there isn't really such a thing as Santa Claus giving lots of gifts, as we have Sinterklaas. I still quite enjoyed reading the book though, it was a fun, light-hearted read. It didn't contain as much depth as A Proper Family Christmas or Getting Personal for example, but I really enjoyed reading this novella.

Talli Roland - Mistletoe in Manhattan

15846261.jpg

Pages: 60 (19% is excerpt of another book by the author)

Date read: 11-12-2014

Synopsis (GoodReads):As Little Missington's first Christmas baby in fifty years and the daughter of 'Christmas When You Like It' party-planners, Holly West has been surrounded by the holiday spirit since birth. Trouble is, she's not exactly filled with festive cheer. In fact, Holly can't wait to ditch the tinsel and Santa suits for champagne and celebs, and become a party-planner to the stars.

When British film star Dean Layton hires her parents' company to throw his holiday bash in Manhattan, Holly jumps at the chance to help, confident she can handle a little Christmas in exchange for access to Dean's exclusive world.

But New York and Dean's over-the-top demands are more than Holly bargained for. Can Holly deck the halls and make it a party to be proud of, or will this Christmas be one she'll never forget . . . even if she wants to?

My thoughts: Since this time of year is a good time to read Christmas stories, I picked another unread one off my Kindle. I had three unread Christmas novellas by Talli Roland, I don't know exactly why I picked this one, my plan is to read the other two soon, anyway. I liked Miracle at the Museum of Broken Hearts by the author.

This was a nice Christmas story. I liked the characters and the writing style. Milly's parents are party planners and she helps them, they organise Christmas parties all year long. I liked this aspect of the story. I'm not quite sure how I to put into words, why I liked the story less than Chrissie Manby - The Christmas List, the novella I read before this one. I liked that one more, it was more homely and more Christmassy. In this novella there are of course the Christmassy parties and it was about the spirit of Christmas, I found it a shame Christmas day itself wasn't as much described as I had wanted it and I would've liked to know what happened past the ending with certain characters. I liked Miracle at the Museum of Broken Hearts more, though it's been a while since I read that one and I read it before I wrote longer reviews, so I can't totally look up my thoughts on it.

Overall then I enjoyed reading this story but it wasn't as good as it could've been, even if I can't quite describe into words why I feel I liked it less than The Christmas List. I have two other Christmassy stories by Talli Roland on my TBR, Last Christmas and Married by Midnight which I'm planning to both read shortly so expect to see reviews of those too in the foreseeable future.

Rating: (****) (7/10)

Talli Roland - Last Christmas

18776861.jpg

Pages: 56

Synopsis (GoodReads):For Lucy, the best Christmas present is forgetting the past.

Eager to banish the ghost of Christmas past - when her boyfriend dumped her on the streets of Paris - Lucy is determined to make this the best Christmas ever. She rallies friends and family for an epic celebration that just happens to fall on the same day as her ex's festive wedding. Furious at how she's been treated, Lucy can't help relishing the party v wedding smackdown.

But when the wedding is threatened and only Lucy can help, can she find the spirit inside to save the day, or will this Christmas be even more disastrous than the last?

My thoughts: After reading Mistletoe in Manhattan I went on to another Christmas novella by Talli Roland (this one). I'm reading them in publication order, though they are all completely standalone stories I thought this was a good order to read them in.

I liked this story better than Mistletoe in Manhattan. The characters were more interesting and there was slightly more depth. The story was more Christmassy and homely and I enjoyed reading the story. I do feel the synopsis takes place rather a bit later in the book but I enjoyed the whole story to be honest. The writing style was good and interesting and I enjoyed reading about the characters.

My only complain is that I would've liked to know more about a certain character and what happened with him in the past. I guess it's not integral to the story but I would've liked to know that conclusion to wrap the story up. Otherwise I quite enjoyed reading this story, it was sweet and nice to read.

Overall then I quite enjoyed reading this story, more than I did Mistletoe in Manhattan. I'll soon start the third Talli Roland Christmas novella I have on my TBR, Married by Midnight.

Talli Roland - Married by Midnight

23511012.jpg

Pages: 60

Synopsis (GoodReads):While choosing a vintage dress for her Christmas Eve wedding, Kate finds a cryptic note pinned to the inside of a 1930s gown. As doubts about her own ceremony loom, Kate is determined to track down the dress' owner and determine what became of her - and the marriage.

Will Kate find the answers she's seeking to propel her down the aisle, or will her discovery prompt her to call off the wedding for good?

My thoughts: After reading two Christmas novellas by Talli Roland, this one was the last Christmas novella by Talli Roland left to read so I read this one.

This one was pretty interesting. I quite liked most of the characters, and I liked the concept that astrology played in the story. I didn't like the character of Tim. I particularly liked finding out what happened with the dress and the owner and that part of the story. It was a sweet story but the only thing was that one part of it was a bit obvious, the main character a little bit dense at times because of her astrology beliefs. But I really enjoyed the parts about the dress' owner. I liked the writing style of the story. Overall then I enjoyed it more than Mistletoe in Manhattan but less than Last Christmas. It was an enjoyable read.

Rating: (****) (8/10)

Abby Clements - The Christmas Bake-Off

16104350.jpg

Pages: 30

Date read: 12-12-2014

Synopsis (GoodReads):With Christmas just around the corner, the residents of Skipley village are gearing up for the annual bake off, and tensions are high.

Winning means a lot to everyone involved - talented cake-shop owner Katie dreams of baking stardom, Rachel wants to prove she's more than a stay-at-home mum, and John hopes his culinary skills will impress the woman he loves.

But when the judges discover that some cakes have been tampered with, the villagers' loyalties are called into question - whose ambition would stretch to sabotage, and why?

My thoughts: After reading several Christmas novellas yesterday I decided to read another one, this time one by Abby Clements. I haven't read anything by the author yet but I do have one other book by her on my TBR.

This story was well written and I really liked reading about the different cakes and other bakings that were at the bake-off. I quite liked the characters and wish I could've read more about them, as the story itself isn't that long (30 pages, though that includes some recipes). That's my main complaint with the story, I wish it was longer and more in depth. I felt it ended a bit suddenly, it ended at a good place but the last parts of the story all went a bit quick. I would've liked to know more about the characters.

Overall then I enjoyed reading this story, I just wish it was longer and the last part was less rushed. I quite liked the writing style and I also really liked the characters. I felt there could have been more plot twists. I was thinking if some of the characters might try and find out who did the sabotaging and it'd take them a while and such, but it was worked out rather quickly what happened. It's still an enjoyable read, though.

Carolyn Nash - The First Day of Christmas

19194271.jpg

Pages: 114

Date read: 12-12-2014

Synopsis (GoodReads):To impress her boss, Linda Rogers eagerly volunteers to take in a foster child for the holiday season. She's well-organized in and outside the office; the addition of a child? A simple matter of blocking out the hours in her day planner and laying in a few supplies. Never mind that she's single. Never mind that she's never cared to have a lasting relationship or build a family. Housing seven-year-old Lucy Green for Christmas is simply to boost Linda up the next career step, nothing more. At least, that was the plan. But when Lucy's presence triggers long-hidden memories that challenge the carefully constructed foundation of Linda's life, will the emotions awakened by this little girl's harrowing experiences bring these two injured souls together, or tear them irrevocably apart?

My thoughts: I bought this story after reading and liking the sample / Kimple. Since it's almost Christmas I'm reading some Christmassy novellas and this one has intruiged me since I read the sample, so I decided to read it.

This was a really enjoyable story. I really liked the characters. The book has more depth than I was expecting, which I liked. I also really liked the writing style. There are quite a few plot twists, most of which I really liked. There was one occasion where I thought this can't go well and I thought it a bit dumb that the main character tried it. But otherwise I really liked the story. I do find the title not quite fitting in the sense that most of the story takes place before Christmas Day (though I can kind of see that it does make sense).

Overall then I quite enjoyed reading this story. It was better than I was expecting, I didn't know anything about the author or the story and I hadn't read any reviews beforehand or got a recommendation from someone I know. But I really liked the story and the characters and I was pleastantly surprised. It doesn't have as much depth as a deep psychological literary read but it was good and enjoyable and does make you think a bit.

Rating: (*****) (10/10)

L. Frank Baum - A Kidnapped Santa Claus

20642076.jpg

Genre: Literature

Age-range: Children's

Pages: 15

Date read: 13-12-2014

Synopsis (GoodReads):A Kidnapped Santa Claus is a Christmas-themed short story written by L. Frank Baum who is most famous for creating The Wizard Of Oz. It has been called "one of Baum's most beautiful stories" and first published in the December 1904 edition of The Delineator women's magazine. Santa Claus has been kidnapped by five pagan Daemons. Four of the five, the Daemons of Selfishness, Envy, Hatred, and Malice, most certainly are bad, but the fifth, the Daemon of Repentance, is a more ambiguous figure. The Daemons of the Caves resent Santa Claus because children under the influence of his gifts rarely visit their caves. the Daemons instead kidnap Santa Claus; they lasso him as he is riding in his sleigh on Christmas Eve, and bind him in their caverns. The queen of the Fairies in the Forest of Burzee summons an army of magical creatures to rescue the missing hero.

My thoughts: Dtrpath recommended this free short story a while ago. With Christmas approaching I thought it'd be a good time to read it now.

The book starts off with a few pages on the author's life. I didn't know that much about him so I thought this was quite interesting to read.

This is a really nice story about Santa Claus who gets kidnapped by Daemons. There were a few words I didn't recognise, for example ryl and knook, the dictionary on my Kindle didn't know them either. I thought the story was very readable. Considering it's been written quite a while ago and I sometimes don't get on with some of the old English language, I was glad this story was quite readable and I liked the writing style.

It's a short story but it's quite entertaining and nice to read. I quite enjoyed reading it and for the price of free, you can't go wrong really. I recommend this.

Patrick Yearly - A Lonely Dog on Christmas

18745108.jpg

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Pages: 22

Date read: <->

Synopsis (GoodReads):Christmas Day is fast approaching. For Beckham, the family bulldog, it means just another year of being ignored while chaos and mayhem reign throughout the house. In this holiday short story full of laughter and family dysfunction, Beckham narrates an ill-conceived plan to create an unforgettable landmark moment in order to reclaim the spotlight as the center of attention. As the extended family gathers to make merry and observe their annual tradition, Beckham has another idea in mind to celebrate and make it a day to remember.

My thoughts: This short story was free for a few days a while ago, and because the synopsis sounded good I thought I'd get it while I could (I mean, it's free!). I always like reading about dogs.

This story was written from the point of view of Beckham, the dog of the family. I really enjoyed reading his thoughts on lots of things, and thought it was quite well done. I had a little bit of trouble remembering who was who in the family, because once the extended family comes over for Christmas there were quite a few people to remember. I felt the ending came a bit too soon and was too abrupt and rushed. Otherwise though it was a really nice enjoyable story.

Overall then I quite enjoyed reading this story. I loved reading from the point of view of Beckham and loved reading his thoughts on the family, on Christmas and other things. The ending was a bit of a let down. I quite enjoyed reading this story.

Brittainy C. Cherry - Our Totally, Ridiculous, Made-Up Christmas Relationship

18715542.jpg

Pages: 228

Date read: 13-12-2014 <-> 15-12-2014

Synopsis (GoodReads): All families have secrets, and Jules Stone’s is no exception. Deciding not to follow in her family's Oscar-winning footsteps, Jules chooses to take a more behind-the-scenes career in one of the Top 10 Talent Agencies in Chicago. After being dumped five hours before spending Christmas with her dysfunctional family, she needs a plan to avoid their judgmental eyes.

Enter: Kayden Reece.

Kayden is the black sheep of his family, being the one actor drowning in a world of doctors and lawyers. Never really getting a jumpstart at his acting career or landing a big time role, he can feel his dad’s disappointment soaking into his spirit.

When Kayden gets a chance to meet and sign with a big name agent at Walter and Jacks Talent Agency, he’s ready to prove everyone wrong. Jules stumbles into the building in shambles, ugly crying, and begging to pay an actor a big sum of money to be her made-up boyfriend for five days, Kayden jumps at the opportunity—finally able to say he landed a role.

When secrets start to unravel, Kayden and Jules must learn that all families have their baggage, sometimes co-stars fall in lust, and it’s important to always have invisible mistletoe hanging around.

This holiday season join the two fake lovebirds as they partake in the role of a lifetime.

My thoughts: About a month ago this novella was free for a day or a few days. I liked the synopsis so I decided to download it (it was free so!). As part of my "I'm reading Christmas type stories" thing in December, I decided to read it now.

This story had some good points and some bad points (in my opinion). I didn't get on with the language. There are some swearwords, so I wouldn't recommend this for a very young someone. They aren't on every page, but they are there often enough that it bothered me a little bit, particularly because I felt things could've been said in a different way. The writing style was okay, it wasn't anything special and at times I found it a bit awkward.

The story is told from the perspectives of Jules and Kayden, and I enjoyed reading both of these. I really liked these two main characters in this story. Both characters are interesting, they have interesting backstories, personalities and problems. Their families were interesting too though with a few of the side characters that weren't too important, I was a bit confused who was who as there were quite a few people to keep track of. The ones that are more important are more in the story so they were easier to remember who they were.

A few scenes are a bit too 'romancy' for me, so I skimmed through these bits. They're probably good though if you like romance reads with a bit more detail on ie. kissing.

This book then was an entertaining story and I enjoyed it enough to persist with it despite not liking the bad points I mentioned (the swearwords and the writing style). I liked parts of the ending but there was one point about it that I didn't like so much.

Overall I enjoyed reading this book and am glad I got to read it for free. It was not brilliant but it was enjoyable though I did have a few problems with it.

Rating: (***) (6/10)

Shawn Inmon - Second Chance Love Story 1: Second Chance Christmas

19220406.jpg

Pages: 30

Date read: 16-12-2014

Synopsis (GoodReads):Sometimes, a Christmas miracle is needed.

Steve and Elizabeth have led lonely lives for many years. An unlikely encounter on a Christmas tree lot could change everything--if they have the courage to overcome a lifetime's doubt and fears.

My thoughts: A few weeks ago this story, and 'books' 2 and 3 in this series, were free on Kindle, so I downloaded them because they sounded nice. I decided to read it now as it's almost Christmas.

This was a nice short story. I enjoyed reading about the characters and they were both pretty interesting. I liked the writing style. I would've liked the story to be a bit longer and to contain some more detail on the characters. I will be reading the next one in this series, Second Chance Valentines and most likely also the third. There is also a fourth book but it wasn't free at the time though it doesn't cost a lot. After reading the three books I'll think if I want to read the fourth book too or not.

Overall then I enjoyed reading this story though I would've liked it to be longer and to contain more detail on the characters. I liked the characters and the writing style and look forward to read the other two books / stories that I own of this series.

Shawn Inmon - Second Chance Love Story 2: Second Chance Valentines

20698685.jpg

Pages: 34

My thoughts: After finishing book one in this series I immediately went onto book two (they're only short stories, anyway, so they read pretty quickly).

This book starts where the first book left off. One thing that irked me was the different spelling of "Suzi", in this book it's "Suzie". Anyway, the story was pretty interesting and I liked getting to know the characters a bit more. There were some interesting plot moments. I look forward to read book three, to see how things continue with Steve and Elizabeth. The characters are both interesting and in this book we learn a little bit more of their backgrounds. This book can be read on its own as it does recap the events from book 1 briefly (though not in an annoying or lengthy way).

Overall then I quite enjoyed reading this second story. It was enjoyable to learn more about the two characters and I liked how the plot progressed.

Shawn Inmon - Second Chance Love Story 3: Second Chance Summer

22642679.jpg

Pages: 55

My thoughts: After reading the first and second book in this series today, I started reading the third book.

The first thing I noticed, was that "Suzi" was now back to being called "Suzi" (book one) instead of "Suzie" (book two). Okay, now that we have that little niggle out of the way, I can say I liked the plot twists in this book. I liked the two main characters and the side characters. The latter played a bit of a bigger role in this story. I liked the story though I wish it'd gone on slightly beyond the ending. I liked the writing style and I enjoyed reading about the characters.

Overall then I enjoyed reading this story and will keep book four on my wishlist. I'm tempted to buy it now but it's better if I think it over slightly longer, though I might cave sooner or later :blush2:. Book five should be released in a while hopefully.

I have now read 250 books so far this year :exc: :exc:.

Wow- and here I am pleased with my measly 81 lol  I'm glad you liked Second Chance Summer!  When is the 4th one out?

Edited by Anna Begins

Wow- and here I am pleased with my measly 81 lol  I'm glad you liked Second Chance Summer!  When is the 4th one out?

Thanks :). It's already out! I'm tempted to buy it (it's ~$1 for me I think) but I have managed to restrain myself, so far. I'm sure I'll cave sooner rather than later :giggle2:. There will be a fifth book too (taking place around Christmas time again), but it's not out yet.

I received some Christmas gifts from Anna :friends0: :

On the Kindle:

Shawn Speakman, Terry Brooks, Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss, Jacqueline Carey, Naomi Novik, R.A. Salvatore, Peter V. Brett, Mark Lawrence and David Anthony Durham - Unfettered

Hugh Howey - Glitch

Thank you so much :xmassmile::grinhat:!