Athena's Reading List 2014

Athena

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review of the Trudi Canavan book. I almost bought one of her books today but decided against it as I suspected it was part of a series and I didn't want to pick up a book that wasn't the first in the series.

That makes sense, it's always best to start with the first book in the series. If you're interested in this type of story, I do definitely recommend to check out her books :).

The Age of the Five trilogy is a seperate world from the series I'm reading, the first book is called Priestess of the White. I haven't yet read this series, though my brother is reading it at the moment and he's enjoying it a lot.

If you like the world I described in my reviews, the first book to start with would be The Black Magician Trilogy 1: The Novice, though keep in mind I didn't think this was the best book by her, it was good but not brilliant. I thought her later works were better. Still, it kept me engaged enough to read the next ones, I rated it 9 / 10 so that's still pretty good :P.

Then the author is writing a new series too, of which only the first book has been released so far. It's called The Millennium's Rule Trilogy 1: Thief's Magic. The book is on my wishlist, I'm waiting for the paperback release but I'll definitely be getting it when it's out.

Edited by Athena

Here's what I bought at the most recent book fair. It was a long journey, there and back again. But I found some really nice books! (also we had a nice lunch with my sister and got to spend some time with her).

Clem Martini - De Kraaien Kronieken 1: De Aanval (free book)

Clem Martini - De Kraaien Kronieken 2: De Pest (free book)

Suzanne Collins - Gregor de Bovenlander 1: De Voorspelling (Underland Chronicles 1: Gregor the Overlander) (these books are written by the same author as The Hunger Games, and their covers are so beautiful and holographic. I couldn't not buy them, particularly not for the great price they were)

Suzanne Collins - Gregor de Bovenlander 2: Het Labyrint (Underland Chronicles 2: Gregor the Overlander and the Prophecy of Bane)

Suzanne Collins - Gregor de Bovenlander 3: De Vloek (Underland Chronicles 3: Gregor the Overlander and the Curse of the Warmbloods)

Suzanne Collins - Gregor de Bovenlander 4: De Vuurlanden (Underland Chronicles 4: Gregor the Overlander and the Marks of Secret)

Suzanne Collins - Gregor de Bovenlander 5: De Krijger (Underland Chronicles 5: Gregor the Overlander and the Code of Claw)

Eion Colfer - Artemis Fowl 1: Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl) (this has been on my wishlist for a while, and this Dutch one was only 1 euro!)

Jennifer Fallon - Second Sons Trilogy 2: Eye of the Labyrinth

Markus Heitz - De Donkere Tijd 1: Schaduwen Boven Ulldart (Die Dunkle Zeit 1: Schatten über Ulldart)

Markus Heitz - De Donkere Tijd 5: De Magie van de Macht (Die Dunkle Zeit 5: Die Magie des Herrschers) (I was so excited to have found books 1 and 5, so now I have the complete series :). I couldn't find them myself btw, but my boyfriend managed to find them!)

Jack Vance - Lyonesse 1-3: The Complete Lyonesse: Suldrun's Garden, The Green Pearl, Madouc (this has been on my wishlist for a long time but it was always out of stock! Now I've found it and for a great price too!

A. C. Baantjer and Simon de Waal - De Waal & Baantjer 1: Een Rus in de Jordaan (I had books 2-10 in this series and have been looking for book 1 for a while now, I was so happy they had it!)

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 71: De Cock en de Onzichtbare Moordenaar (it's always nice to find another Baantjer book for a cheaper price)

Gerard Mak - Rechercheur Brons en het Lijk op de Wallen (this sounded intruiging and it was cheap too)

Robin Cook - Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery 8: Vreemd Lichaam (I don't think I've read this one before but I like quite a few other books by the author)

Kim Småge - De Witte Handschoenen (can you believe this was only 0,99 eurocents? It sounds like it could be good)

Loes den Hollander - Vrije Val (I quite liked the novella I read by this author so hopefully this book of short stories will be good too)

Jet van Vuuren - Omnibus: Zomerdruk, Bloedheet (this sounded good, it was a bit more expensive than most other books I've bought though)

Virginia Andrews - Heavenstone 1: De Geheimen van Heavenstone (Heavenstone 1: The Heavenstone Secrets)

Virginia Andrews - Heavenstone 2: Gefluister in de Nacht (Heavenstone 2: Secret Whispers) (I read a lot of Virginia Andrews' books when I was a young teenager, I don't know these two so hopefully they will be nice)

Jill Mansell - Millie's Fling (this has been on my wishlist for a while, I can't believe it was only 1,99 euros)

Marisa de los Santos - Love Walked In 1: Onverwacht Weerzien (Love Walked In) (this sounded nice and was quite cheap)

Margarida Rebelo Pinto - Single Maar Niet Alleen (Sei Lá) (this sounded good and was cheap)

Rebecca Eckler - Bevrucht! (Knocked Up: Confessions of a Modern Mother-To-Be) (another one that sounded nice and was quite cheap)

Ildikó von Kürthy - Echte Liefde Roest (Freizeichen)

Ildikó von Kürthy - Verliefd, Verloofd, Verlaten (Höhenrausch) (I have two other books by this author, both of these were quite cheap too)

Carry Slee - Moederskind: Moederkruid, Dochter van Eva, De Toegift (I really like Carry Slee's books, at least those I've read so far, so hopefully this omnibus will be good too)

Julia Burgers-Drost - Nieuw Geluk Omnibus: Het Merelnest, Een Zwerver Komt Thuis, Steffie

Gerda Van Wageningen, Julia Burgers-Drost and Karin Peters - Zomer Omnibus: Bijna Verdwaald, Een Zwerver Komt Thuis, Agneta's Erfenis (I didn't see until I got back that there's a book that's featured in both omnibuses, but not much to do about that)

Rachel Caine - The Morganville Vampires 8: Kiss of Death (I've been slowly collecting these, though at the last book fair they had a few more that I didn't get which I wish I did, but I only found this one this time).

HaulBooksBoekenstijnMaastricht27-11-2014_0.25.jpg

They also sold puzzles at the book fair, and I couldn't resist this bookish one, called The Bizarre Bookshop:

DSCN1913_0.25.jpg

I'll be going to the library in the weekend somewhere, so I'll post some impressions once I've been there.

I have Gregor The Overlander in my Kindle samples.  I had it on the long- short list, but took it off.  I still might read it though, just because I want to try something different by Suzanne Collins.  That is the only name I recognize :blush2:  but I know you will enjoy them and a now you have great additions to your collection :smile: It's neat you found so many you were looking for!

I have Gregor The Overlander in my Kindle samples.  I had it on the long- short list, but took it off.  I still might read it though, just because I want to try something different by Suzanne Collins.  That is the only name I recognize :blush2:  but I know you will enjoy them and a now you have great additions to your collection :smile: It's neat you found so many you were looking for!

Oh my, that's a lot of books. You do read quite quickly so I'm sure you'll be through them in no time.

Thanks, both of you :)! I actually spend a lot less money than the last few times I went to the book fair (and I did buy that puzzle this time), so I think all in all I did relatively good this time. There were more books I saw that I liked, but I didn't buy them because they cost a bit of money. So I tried to pay attention to how much things cost as well as if I think I'll like the book etc.

So I went to the library today! It was a lot of fun. The books were more organised than the last time I was in the library (10-15 years ago). On the first floor they had sections with general fiction, romance, thrillers and fantasy (within that arranged alphabetically). There were also children's books on the first floor. The thriller section also included crime / mystery / detective books and horror books. There were a few science-fiction books in the fantasy section but other than those, there was hardly any science-fiction at all. I don't think it's a popular genre in the Netherlands, unfortunately (not that much has been translated I think).

I have more fantasy and science-fiction at home than the library has :blush2:, but I did see some fantasy books I didn't have. One thing that's always tricky with the library is series, because sometimes they only have some books in a series but not others. I saw quite a few books I owned (though sometimes in a different language) but I saw a lot of books I didn't own, as well (of course!). There were quite a few that I think I might want to read at some point.

The library has an English section too, and they also had some French, German and Spanish books (but I can't understand those all that well). There were more English books than I expected, so that's good! They were of a variety of genres, though it seemed to be unevenly divided sometimes (ie. for some reason there were quite a few James Patterson books).

On the second floor the library has non-fiction / information books. They are organised according to the international classification. We spent a bit less time there but they might have something interesting. I'll have to learn what goes where.

On the first floor, I found a section where they displayed books they wanted to get rid of, that you could buy. Naturally, I had a look at this :D, and I found a few nice books :blush2:. A list will follow. A bit later there was a man in the library with I think his daughter, who were looking for these books the library is selling. So he asked me if I knew where they were. He was very friendly and I was able to help him. I like that in the library you meet nice people :).

I've decided I want to become a member, to hopefully help me spend less money. The subscription prices are going up starting the first of January next year, so I want to become a member before the end of this year, so I'll save myself some money. I didn't do it today because I didn't want to check out any books (I've got some books planned for the next week), but I hope to become a member maybe next weekend or the week after that.

Here's which books I bought at the library:

David Mitchell - DroomNumberNegen (DreamNumber9) (I like David Mitchell on TV so I look forward to try one of his books)

Karlijn Stoffels - Een-Nul voor de Autisten (a book about autism, hopefully it will be good)

Elizabeth Noble - De Tenko Club (The Tenko Club also known as The Friendship Test)

Elizabeth Noble - De Leesclub (The Reading Group) (these two were on my wishlist)

Marion Zimmer Bradley - Licht 1: Geestenlicht (Light 1: Ghostlight)

Marion Zimmer Bradley - Licht 2: Heksenlicht (Light 2: Witchlight)

Marion Zimmer Bradley - Licht 3: Doodslicht (Light 3: Gravelight) (I've read and liked other books by this author)

Then we visited the charity shop while waiting for my mum to come back from the market:

Eion Colfer - Artemis Fowl 3: De Eeuwige Code (Artemis Fowl 3: The Eternity Code) (I just bought book one in this series so I thought it'd be good to get this one too)

Luanne Rice - Omnibus: Wacht op Mij, Terug Naar Huis (Follow the Stars Home, Cloud Nine) (there was a deal of two paperbacks for €1.50 so I picked this as my second paperback, the rest of the books didn't appeal or I had them already)

Herbjørg Wassmo - Dina 1: Het Boek Dina (Dinas Bok) (this sounded interesting)

The book I won has arrived!:

Gayle Foreman - Als Ik Blijf 1: Als Ik Blijf (If I Stay 1: If I Stay)

With a card and a few nice gifts too :).

Awesome!  I am glad you had such a great experience and I am lol at your fantasy/ fiction section being larger than the library! :lol:  And I believe there are 2 books for If I Stay, but the second is the story from a different characters point of view.

Edited by Anna Begins

This one made my giggle too  :giggle2: . You seemed to have a very good time at the bookseller and library  :smile: .

I have more fantasy and science-fiction at home than the library has :blush2:

Awesome!  I am glad you had such a great experience and I am lol at your fantasy/ fiction section being larger than the library! :lol:  And I believe there are 2 books for If I Stay, but the second is the story from a different characters point of view.

Thanks :)! Yeah :lol:. The library has hardly any science-fiction. I don't think that's the library's fault, there just aren't many adult science-fiction books translated into Dutch or written by Dutch authors. It doesn't seem to be as popular as fantasy. There isn't much in book shops either, nor at the book fair. In the UK, the bookshops that I've been into, had quite a bit of science-fiction (for example, they call it the section "Science-fiction & Fantasy". In NL it's just "Fantasy" or "Other".). Not so here, unless you manage to find an English copy of something somewhere. Young-adult dystopians are gaining popularity so the library did have some of those :).

Yes, I think there are two books, I wasn't sure if the first one would end on a cliffhanger or not. I might read it soon, it's a short book so it shouldn't take me that long to get through it. 

This one made my giggle too  :giggle2: . You seemed to have a very good time at the bookseller and library  :smile: .

Thanks, I did :)!

I'm going to post a review, next.

Trudi Canavan - The Traitor Spy Trilogy 3: The Traitor Queen

18273541.jpg

Genre: Fantasy

Age-range: Adult

Format: Paperback

Pages: 518

Date Read: 25-11-2014 <-> 30-11-2014

Synopsis: (no synopsis because it's book three of a trilogy)

My thoughts:

After finishing book two, I went on to read book three in this trilogy.

This book picks up where the second one left off. Immediately things become suspenseful, but after a while it calmed down a bit more. There were a few days where I didn't read much, because I was busy with other things and because I was tired. There are two main storylines going on, both of which were interesting. I felt in the first half of the book, one of the storylines progressed a bit more than the other (more plot twists and such), and was more interesting. In the second half of the book they were both interesting.

I really enjoyed reading the conclusion to this trilogy (though it's a shame it's over now, I really do hope the author will write about these characters and this world, again). The characters were all very interesting and there were a lot of good plot twists. I also enjoyed learning a little bit more about the world, the characters and the magic. Some really interesting things happened in this book.

If you liked the first two books in this trilogy I see no reason why you wouldn't like this third book. I did have some concentration problems but that's more to do with the fact that I was very busy, stressed and tired, than that it was a problem of the story. Last night and this morning, I read pretty much the second half of the book, which went by pretty quickly. Overall then I'd recommend this book if you liked the previous two. I wouldn't recommend this as the first book you read by this author, as that might be a bit too confusing because you didn't read any previous works in this world. But on the whole I definitely recommend this author if you like high fantasy books (I believe that's what it's called?). I plan to read her other trilogy, Age of the Five, early next year. I've preordered the paperback release of her newest book (a book in a new trilogy).

Rating: ***** (10/10)

Great book hauls, Athena! Your library sounds good (maybe they could borrow your sci-fi books to lend out to other people :P). I hope you'll get to use the library a lot and save some money by not buying books. I should point out that David Mitchell, the author of DreamNumber9, is a different David Mitchell from the comedian who appears on TV. The comedian has written a couple of humorous non-fiction books, but the other David Mitchell (the one whose book you bought) writes fiction.

Great book hauls, Athena! Your library sounds good (maybe they could borrow your sci-fi books to lend out to other people :P). I hope you'll get to use the library a lot and save some money by not buying books. I should point out that David Mitchell, the author of DreamNumber9, is a different David Mitchell from the comedian who appears on TV. The comedian has written a couple of humorous non-fiction books, but the other David Mitchell (the one whose book you bought) writes fiction.

Thanks Kylie :)! I didn't know they were two different people, thanks for telling me about that.

I love it too! That's pretty cool :). For me often the 'default' cover price isn't actually what it should be. In most cases though I just erase the value but not put anything else back.

I use the User Defined Fields for a variety of things, I'm happy to tell you what I use them for and don't mind if you borrow an idea :).

(not in this order:)

- anticipation rating

- a started to read date

- cover colour

- spine colour

- age range of the book

- type of book (ie. textbook, illustrated, comic, graphic novel, manga)

- a fiction / non-fiction checkbox

- who it was a gift from (my own name if I bought it myself)

- who recommended the book to me

- a used copy checkbox

- a checkbox for whether I've read this copy of the book or not

I just realised that I never replied to thank you for providing the list of user-defined fields you use in BC. I have only now had time to add in some user-defined fields for myself, and I've used several of yours. Thanks so much for the list. :friends3: I couldn't think of what to use originally, but when I saw your list, I thought 'Duh! Of course!' I can't believe I didn't think of these myself. I'm obviously not as clever as you. The Fiction/Non-Fiction checkbox is a particularly good idea for me, because I've previously been adding them as labels, but now I can use the labels for more important things.

From your list, I've used Start Date, Fiction/Non-Fiction, Gift and Used Copy (I use this as a label in Goodreads, but it's much better to have it as a checkbox). Inspired by your 'anticipation rating', I've also added a Priority Level field, for which I might use a scale of 1-5 (or similar) to denote how badly I want to read the book. :)

And yes, the default cover price is often wrong for my books too. I've been adding labels to books to show which ones have the correct price/number of pages etc (my database is really becoming a mess because I just do bits and pieces here and there), but I've just realised that I should add these as user-defined fields too. Ooh, so much work (but fun work) to do!

I just realised that I never replied to thank you for providing the list of user-defined fields you use in BC. I have only now had time to add in some user-defined fields for myself, and I've used several of yours. Thanks so much for the list. :friends3: I couldn't think of what to use originally, but when I saw your list, I thought 'Duh! Of course!' I can't believe I didn't think of these myself. I'm obviously not as clever as you. The Fiction/Non-Fiction checkbox is a particularly good idea for me, because I've previously been adding them as labels, but now I can use the labels for more important things.

From your list, I've used Start Date, Fiction/Non-Fiction, Gift and Used Copy (I use this as a label in Goodreads, but it's much better to have it as a checkbox). Inspired by your 'anticipation rating', I've also added a Priority Level field, for which I might use a scale of 1-5 (or similar) to denote how badly I want to read the book. :)

And yes, the default cover price is often wrong for my books too. I've been adding labels to books to show which ones have the correct price/number of pages etc (my database is really becoming a mess because I just do bits and pieces here and there), but I've just realised that I should add these as user-defined fields too. Ooh, so much work (but fun work) to do!

Thanks Kylie :friends3:, I'm so glad it was useful to you :). Priority Rating does seem to be a better name, I might've translated too literally from Dutch :giggle2:. My database still needs some work too, but I agree, it's fun to do! Good luck with yours :)!

Chrissie Manby - Proper Family 2: A Proper Family Christmas

22888011.jpg

Genre: Chick-lit

Age-range: Adult

Pages: 420

Date read: 30-11-2014 <-> 01-12-2014

Synopsis (GoodReads):Annabel Buchanan has it all. A privileged life. Pots of cash. Looks and manners born of generations of fabulous breeding. At least, that's what she likes people to think. But Annabel's carefully created image is about to come crashing down.

With her beloved daughter Izzy in need of a kidney transplant, Annabel is desperate to find a suitable donor. That's how she comes to admit that before Annabel Buchanan there was Daisy Benson, given up for adoption by her teenage mum and dad.

Hoping her biological family will be able to help, Annabel traces the Bensons and is horrified by the embarrassing, chavvy bunch she discovers. They're definitely not her kind of people. And she is equally baffling to them.

But as Christmas approaches and Izzy's situation brings the Benson and the Buchanan families closer, will Annabel discover at last that blood is thicker than water?

My thoughts:

I read about this book on a book blog. I immediately ordered it upon finding out it existed. With it being November (or, was, when I ordered the book), I thought it'd be great as a Christmassy read, to read in December before Christmas. I had previously enjoyed other books by the author so I thought I'd probably like this one too. I didn't find out it was part two in a series until I received the book and looked it up on GoodReads. After finishing a fantasy trilogy I decided to start on my pile of Christmas and wintery type books.

While GoodReads tells me this book is part of a series, you wouldn't actually say that from reading the book. The book reads easily and nowhere was I confused about anything. I'm going to look up what the first book in the series is about. Some events from the past were hinted at but that's all. I found the book to be completely readable on its own.

This book was very enjoyable. It contained a lot more depth than I was expecting. A lot of deep issues were discussed, in a meaningful way. I really liked the characters. The book is written from several different perspectives, and I thought this really illustrated well how the situations were for the individual characters. I also liked the writing style, the book was easy to read. The story takes place in England, and I liked the English references that were in the book, such as to specific shops (as to illustrate the difference between the two families, for example).

I finished the book pretty quickly. I started it yesterday evening and finished it today just after dinner. I've read a lot today!

The book might have Christmas in the title and have a Christmassy cover, but most of the story takes place when it's not Christmas. Christmas was mentioned in the beginning, in the middle and at the end of the book. And at the end the characters do celebrate Christmas. My point is that while it's a wonderful read on its own, it's not the most Christmassy book. Christmas plays a role but is certainly not the main theme. This is no criticism! It's just a little different than I was expecting, based on the cover and the synopsis. But really, the book is all the better for it. It takes the time to explore all the issus I mentioned (I think the majority of the book takes place in just over a year). I don't want to spoil the book so I won't mention some of the issues that you don't know about for a while. But it's certainly interesting! The book has more depth than the average 'chick-lit' type book. It's not a romance story, but it is a story of love. The epilogue was interesting too, I wasn't expecting that.

Overall then I quite enjoyed reading this book. I'd definitely recommend it for those who are looking for a chick-lit read with some more depth to it.

Rating: (*****) (10/10)

Interesting write-up on your library visit. Are you going to start borrowing books from the library or are you looking at buying them to save money.  I have probably saved around $500, so far this year, by borrowing from the library via download to my kindle. I am also fortunate that we have a fairly good library. Example.....I can request the library to buy any books that I am interested in and they don't have and there is at least a 50% chance that they will do so, I then download them to my kindle. Most books though they already have.

I plan to borrow books from the library, and also buy something interesting if they're selling it off (the books would be cheap so it's not as big of a money problem if I buy them) :). But I'm hoping that by borrowing books at the library, I'll be less tempted to buy lots of books. I really need to work on my spending. That's pretty amazing savings :)! My library does offer ebooks but I don't know how it works, barely anyone in the Netherlands owns a Kindle but I do plan on asking them how it works and maybe they can explain it to me, see if it's possible. They have a lot of paperbooks too though not all genres are equally represented and of course most of it is in Dutch whereas I prefer to read English. But I hope to find some nice books there :). You can ask for books they purchase I think, I don't know how likely they will do it or not. You can also ask for books from other libraries but that'll cost you some money.

I used to go to the library all the time when I was a child and young teenager. We lived in a different town and I went to two libraries at the time or I didn't have enough to read. I didn't get any allowance until I was a bit older so I couldn't buy much myself. I only bought those books I was absolutely sure I would love, for example, I'd read them several times at the library and loved them. I had a great time at both libraries when I was younger. We moved to a different place and I went to that library (this current library but they were in a different location then) for a couple of years. I stopped going there because they didn't have as much interesting books for me to read. I started to prefer reading in English and was annoyed that the library often only had certain books of a series and not others. At the time I was mainly reading fantasy trilogies and series so I wanted to read the books in order but often found this was not possible at the library.

Anyway.. sorry for rambling on! Thanks for telling me about your library :). I'd love to see an American and a British library some time in my life, I've seen one British library and really wish I could've spent more time there!

I hope to find a lot of nice books at the library. It seemed really nice when I was there.

I will now post a review below of Als Ik Blijf (If I Stay) by Gayle Foreman.

Gayle Foreman - Als Ik Blijf 1: Als Ik Blijf (If I Stay 1: If I Stay)

8901343.jpg

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Age-range: Young-Adult

Pages: 223

Date read: 02-12-2014 <-> 03-12-2014

Synopsis (GoodReads):In the blink of an eye everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall what happened afterwards, watching her own damaged body being taken from the wreck. Little by little she struggles to put together the pieces- to figure out what she has lost, what she has left, and the very difficult choice she must make.

My thoughts: This book had been on my wishlist for a while. I'd heard good things and the synopsis sounded intruiging. I entered a giveaway to win this book, in Dutch, and I won! I wanted to read something short, so close to the read-a-thon, that I could comfortably finish before the read-a-thon started.

It took me a little bit of time to get into this book. I hadn't read a translated Dutch young-adult fiction book in a while. The translation is a little off in some cases but overall was pretty good. The book gets suspenseful pretty quickly. I was a little bit confused at first, what the chapter headings meant. At first I thought they were dates, but then came one that couldn't possibly be a Dutch date. Then I thought they might be American dates (that they somehow forgot to translate), but then the actual month was mentioned in the chapter so that idea was dropped. A chapter later I figured it out because the time was mentioned, it is the time!

The characters in this book were all very interesting. Mia, the main character, is a very interesting character. I loved how music played a big role in her life and in the story. Her family all have something with music as does her boyfriend.

The story is told in the now and via flash backs. I enjoyed the way the story was told like this, you find out more about Mia as the story progresses. I had to get used to the writing style, it was different than what I'm used to, though I think partly that is the translation. There were a few occasions where the words used, but they were recurring words, was a bit jarring and I felt this wasn't the way people would actually talk in Dutch. But I could be wrong.

There are several plot twists in the story that I didn't see coming. It's a really emotional book and it certainly left an impact on me. Wow! It was really good, particularly the second half of it was gripping and touching.

Overall then I really enjoyed reading this book. It was emotional and gripping, and my only complaint, other than the translation issues, was that I wish the book was longer. I mean, it's as long as it needs to be, definitely, I just liked the characters so much I'd like to spend more time with them. There is a book two though which is on my wishlist so I definitely hope to read that at some point.

Rating: (*****) (9/10)