Athena's Reading List 2014

Athena

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, so much information here Athena! I pretty much stick to read, to be read and acquired and even then I struggle to keep them updated! :lol:

Looking forward to following your reading in 2014. All the best for a great reading year! :)

Wow the graphs are cool!

x

x

Wow, so much information here Athena! I pretty much stick to read, to be read and acquired and even then I struggle to keep them updated! :lol:

Looking forward to following your reading in 2014. All the best for a great reading year! :)

x

Thanks :). I'll have to see how I'm going to keep everything updated, I'll probably not update the graphs with every book bought, only if it changes quite a bit (if I've bought quite a few books). Thanks :), I hope your reading in 2014 will be great too!

Ann M. Martin, Raina Telgemeier - The Babysitter's Club Graphix 1: Kristy's Great Idea

48903.jpg

Genre: Children's, YA, chick-lit

Format: Kindle

Pages: ~180?

Synopsis (GoodReads):In this new graphic novel edition of the very first BABY-SITTERS CLUB book, Raina Telgemeier captures all the drama of the original in warm, spunky illustrations. Witness Kristy's eureka moment, when she gets the idea for a "baby-sitters club" and enlists her best friends, shy Mary Anne and artistic Claudia, in an exciting new venture. But the baby-sitting business isn't the only thing absorbing their attention: Kristy is having a hard time accepting her stepdad-to-be, and the newest member of the gang, Stacey, seems to be hiding a secret.

My thoughts: I recently found out that there existed a graphic novel of the Babysitter's Club, so I bought it and started to read it.

I have already done a review on the original book, Kristy's Great Idea, in which I praised the story and characters. Needless to say I still love them, and this series will always have a special place in my heart for me. The illustrations show much of the story, I couldn't find anything important missing. I loved the illustrations, they are beautiful and have a distinct style to them (in my opinion). It was great to see in particular the different characters. I found it not hard to tell the characters apart (a complaint I sometimes have with graphic novels, comics and manga), of course though I know the characters pretty well so that helps I guess. My only complaint with this book was the execution of the Kindle version. You see a page with illustrations (usually several of them), and then can zoom in and flick through them individually. Except that sometimes bits get cut off or mixed together in this zoomed in version. I've not read a graphic novel on the Kindle before so I don't know if it's a common problem or not. This was really my only complaint with the book. I loved everything else!

Rating: ***** (10/10)

Nick Spalding - Love... 3: Love Under Different Skies

18714713.jpg

Genre: Chick-lit

Format: Paperback

Pages: 384

Synopsis: (no synopsis since part of a series)

My thoughts: This book was recently released in paperback and I was eager to see how the series would continue, so I didn't wait long with starting to read it.

I quite liked this book. I already loved the characters, and I enjoyed reading about them and their adventures. Most of the book takes place in Australia (not Britain like the previous two books), and I quite enjoyed reading how the characters experienced being in Australia. I enjoyed the culture references, to both British and Australian things, as well a few references to bits of technology (ie. an Iphone). It's quite a contemporary book in that sense.

The book is written from two different viewpoints (like the two books before it), in the form of diary entries and blog posts. Sometimes the characters will compare something that's happened to something worse or they'll exaggerate. I liked this and found it quite refreshing. I certainly wouldn't want to read it all the time but it makes for a nice change when I'm in the right mood. Overall I really liked this book.

I loved the ending, to me it's a fitting conclusion to the series. I have no idea if the author intends to write more books in this series or not, and all three can easily be read seperately, although you'll miss out on a few references to earlier events. The book does use some explicit language and there are also references to sex.

Rating: ***** (10/10)

Wow, two books already, what a great start. :)

Happy reading in 2014 Athena! :D

x

Two books already - well done ! :D

And - happy New Year. :smile:

x

Edited by Athena