American Gods

The Margarets

Before I Go To Sleep

The Cloud Walker 

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

The Girl Who Played With Fire

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest

Edited by vodkafan

Your TBR has plenty of appeal for me, especially the Jasper Fforde`s ( though I`m up to date ; I have to read them in hardback as soon as they come out ) and those fun Stephanie Plum books. :smile:

I`ve read a few of your best reads - I especially enjoyed The Shadow of the Wind and Jonathon Strange And Mr Norrell, which I was thinking of just the other day. I hope the BBC series does justice to it.

Good luck with your 2014 reads ! :D

.As said before ,we are all reading and searching for different answers through our books, We read them for enjoyment, to learn, to apply parts of them to our own lives sometimes.

Really well put. :D

I`ve been thinking recently that I really like the essays I read in magazines I get on subscription ( The Australian Women`s weekly ( it`s a monthly :doh: ), American Vogue and Oprah ) and could branch out into reading books from the same authors featured, like the Ephron sisters, Joan Didion and erm, people like them. :smile:

Your TBR has plenty of appeal for me, especially the Jasper Fforde`s ( though I`m up to date ; I have to read them in hardback as soon as they come out ) and those fun Stephanie Plum books. :smile:

I`ve read a few of your best reads - I especially enjoyed The Shadow of the Wind and Jonathon Strange And Mr Norrell, which I was thinking of just the other day. I hope the BBC series does justice to it.

Good luck with your 2014 reads ! :D

Thanks Little Pixie good luck with yours too. Your TBR is huge! I was reading it but I soon got overwhelmed by the quantity....

Thanks Little Pixie good luck with yours too. Your TBR is huge! I was reading it but I soon got overwhelmed by the quantity....

I`m still not quite sure how that happened ; I blame The Save the Kitties charity shop, Amazon marketplace and Amazon generally. I`m not culpable. :blush2:

Edited by Little Pixie

An interesting and varied list, James. 

Jane Eyre is one of my all time favorites, and the Dragon Tattoo trilogy is among my faves as well.  I loved American Gods, and retrospectively The Handmaid's Tale

But The Book Thief is really on the "other" list of books that I wish I hadn't bothered with.  I know I'm in the huge minority here. :) 

An interesting and varied list, James. 

Jane Eyre is one of my all time favorites, and the Dragon Tattoo trilogy is among my faves as well.  I loved American Gods, and retrospectively The Handmaid's Tale

But The Book Thief is really on the "other" list of books that I wish I hadn't bothered with.  I know I'm in the huge minority here. :)

Glad to see I'm not the only one who didn't like the Book Thief Pontalba.

I loved Jane Eyre, and plan to reread it sometime.

Dagnabbit I bought some books. Had a splurge on Amazon. I have no excuse.

Out Of Time-Five tales of Time Travel

The Rise And Fall Of The Victorian Servant

The Life And Loves Of A She Devil

Letters To Alice On First Reading Jane Austen

Habits Of The House (Love and Inheritance)

The Passion Of New Eve

The Duties Of Servants

I thought i'd already visited your new thread VF but i must have missed it. Just been checking out your TBR pile, lucky you having the Wilkie Collins books to read for the first time, they're such good books. I also liked The Eye Of The Needle, The Other Side Of The Dale & of course Wuthering Heights is one of my all time favourites.

Happy reading in 2014  :D

So, someone I know wrote a book and published on kindle. By coincidence it is also a time travel novel so I downloaded it and read it. Oh dear. I don't want to say the title. To me his worst fault was that he has not bothered to couch his dialogue in the proper language of the time.

It has really made me want to do better  and avoid the same pitfall. More research. 

James

When I first started reading your post, I thought you were gonna say that your friend wanted you to tell him your opinion of the book . That would have been hard to do if you would have been trying to be diplomatic about it  , yet  he would want your honest opinion .

I guess anything you read that will help you in your writing will be of help, though .   :)

A fine balance is a tremendous book. Mistry sent me a thank you letter from Canada for my kind letter about it . Bleak house is excellent and there's a bbc dvd too that is amazing

That's nice when authors reply personally like that. I hope I will get to A Fine Balance soon

James

When I first started reading your post, I thought you were gonna say that your friend wanted you to tell him your opinion of the book . That would have been hard to do if you would have been trying to be diplomatic about it  , yet  he would want your honest opinion .

I guess anything you read that will help you in your writing will be of help, though .   :)

He does want my opinion on the book. I will have to be honest.

I have been reading me some George Gissing. So far I like him immensely. He is the perfect author to read to gain a real sense of how the majority of ordinary people lived. Trollope was an admirer of Thackery and like him wrote about the upper classes; Dickens seems preoccupied with the grinding  life of the very poor. (And is a bit early for me anyway- I like to read about the 1870's onwards) Gissing (based I admit, on only one book!) seems to inhabit a happy place in the middle. Not that his characters are always in a happy place though!   

Edited by vodkafan