Julie 2014

julie

Whistling in the Dark - Lesley Kagen 4/5

51SCgeaajAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Sally , a 10 year old girl ,tells the story of her family ,neighborhood ,and all that occurred that summer in the late 50's . She comes from a home with a lot of secrets ,and also a lot of problems. Her dad was killed in a car wreck and her mom gets remarried shortly afterwards to an abusive man . Their lives go from bad to worse when her mom ends up terribly ill in the hospital, while she is left home with her 2 sisters and "sometimes" step-dad ,when he feels like coming home .

There's also been 2 girls ,close to her age who have been found murdered, so the neighborhood is much different that summer, everyone on guard ,worried about who took the girls and worried that it may happen again .Sally seems to have it figured out and tries to come up with a way to prove it .

All in all, it was a good book as far as the writing and the way the story was told by the 10 year old . I guess I would have liked to have the author use more references to life in the 50's than she did, as it would have brought back more memories of my growing -up years .  The author also seemed to have an agenda and wanted to take one neighborhood and one summer and put too many topics into one book . I think she could have eliminated some of those issues or saved them for another book .

All in all, though, I liked the story, and it kept me guessing to the very end to see who the killer was .

I'd read another one by the author, so it was good enough to say that .    :)

* Note

Guess what folks ? There's another book that takes up where this one left off , called Good Graces  !  I need to see what happens in the next part of the story, so I'm gonna go ahead and take the plunge and get the other one ,too . Gotta see where that author goes from here with the story !

Edited by julie

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kate & Alexi

Yea , the book was interesting enough that I'd like to see where the characters go from the end of the first. The way it ended, it was all wrapped up , so it was surprising to find that the author decided to write a continuation of it . This second one starts with a pretty interesting beginning,so  I guess there WAS another story left to tell .  :)

** I though you guys were LOL'ing my latest Avatar . :D

Buy me before good sense insists

You'll strain your purse and sprain your wrists .

Pretty funny ! The book wasn't too much strain on the purse  , being used ( 4 bucks ) , but the wrist part has yet to be seen !

:giggle2:  . I bought my paperback in a library sale, but I had to give up pretty soon with the wrist strain, so was saved by the ebook. 

(Who's the guy in the bib, with the bottles? I've got a couple of  empty glasses handy  :D )

:giggle2:  . I bought my paperback in a library sale, but I had to give up pretty soon with the wrist strain, so was saved by the ebook. 

(Who's the guy in the bib, with the bottles? I've got a couple of  empty glasses handy  :D )

Oh, I found A Suitable Boy at a library sale, years ago...unread, still.  :blush2:

Yeah, who is the guy??

It sounds as if we all are a little bit DAUNTED by the size of Suitable Boy.  I bet I'll like it. So far, every book I've read that is set in India I've loved . It's a fascinating country .

And I have no clue who the guy is with the overalls and booze. I was looking for some new avatars that were different and thought this guy looked INTERESTING . Could be because he's sampled some of the wares already  :alc:  

Edited by julie

• 2 weeks later...

Good Graces - Lesley Kagen 4/5

This story takes up where Whistling in the Dark  left off . I think the author could have continued the first book and just added this onto the original book. There isn't any time that lapses between the two, telling the continued tales of the 2   O'Malley sisters as they live on the same street, but into a new and better situation than they were in the first . Some changes have occurred in their personal lives ,making them somewhat better, but the author still tends to try cramming too many unbelievable events into one summer on one small street .

I think the story would have been better had she chosen to leave out a few subjects, since it's pretty hard to believe that MANY things would happen in a normal old neighborhood .

So ,as in the first book, I will give the book a 4 on writing .It really is an easy book to get into , and you do want to keep reading to see what the outcome will be ,so it's not bad in any other way other than it's too much STUFF crammed into the story .

On to the next...whatever it may be ......

Hah, sounds like "Overload"!  I've often seen that sort of thing in tv episodes.........how on earth could all of that happened in one day???  Oick!

Good review, Julie. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Running the Books : The Adventures of an Accidental Prison Librarian  4/5

Avi Steinberg was a Harvard Grad, whose friends had all been pursuing careers as doctors and lawyers. He seemed to be on a journey to find himself . At the beginning of the book, he is drifting along trying to find his place in life. He goes to a friend's wedding ,and there sees his life in a new light . He had been writing obituaries for the newspaper as his employment, but suddenly decides his life needs to go into a new direction. He applies ( and gets ) a job as the librarian in a Boston Prison .
The book is interesting since it tells of his attempt at learning how to balance life between the inmates and his co-workers, some of the guards, who intentionally treat the prisoners badly at times . He needs to walk a fine line between the two, getting respect, yet showing authority at the same time .
In his earlier life, his religion had played a huge role in his life, but he had drifted from it for quite a long time . He seemed to rediscover it ,and himself, while he worked in the prison library. He met several inmates who really touched his heart and made him re-examine his own life .
There are a few parts in the beginning that are humorous, but as the book goes on there are other parts that are heartbreaking .
I'd recommend this book to anyone who wonders more about life inside a prison, how the "system" works, and how and why some of the people incarcerated end up there ,sometimes repeatedly .

Great review, Julie, this is going on my wishlist! :) One question though: is there any talk about being a librarian and books in general, though? I'm happy to read about the prison stuff alone, but I think it would be great to know if there's going to be any 'book talk', beforehand, so I won't be disappointed if there isn't any, if that makes sense :blush:

Edited by frankie

Hi Frankie

There is some book talk in the beginning . That's what I was interested in myself, wondering what type of books were popular in prison libraries, etc .. it was talked about in the very beginning, but I'd say the bulk of the book seemed to be about the author's life ( he was Jewish and had been very religious at one point, but sort-of lapsed right before getting this job . He talked quite a bit about that , then a large amount of the book was about the security they needed to keep in place in the library, the items that were and were not allowed by the inmates, etc .

So if you're looking more for a book that talks mostly about books, it'd be a disappointment . I still liked it ,because he became close to a few of the inmates and followed up with their stories after they were released from prison, so it was interesting to hear that end of it .

Hi Kate ,

Thanks, yea, I thought it was quite a unique idea. I guess I knew some prisons had libraries, but had never thought much about it before reading this book. There was one fact that was sad : that the public libraries are being closed due to lack of funds, but the prison libraries are getting more funding . something a little bit OFF about that , in my opinion ! I guess it's all in how you look at it, whether you think these guys deserve to have books and library services, or not . I guess some of them could possibly get an education and get out and straighten their lives out,, but from the way this book sounded, it would have been a very rare occurrence.

Great review Julie, did the book have pics in? It would be interesting to see what a prison library looks like; is it like a public library or just a room with a few shelves in? 

Hi Frankie

There is some book talk in the beginning . That's what I was interested in myself, wondering what type of books were popular in prison libraries, etc .. it was talked about in the very beginning, but I'd say the bulk of the book seemed to be about the author's life ( he was Jewish and had been very religious at one point, but sort-of lapsed right before getting this job . He talked quite a bit about that , then a large amount of the book was about the security they needed to keep in place in the library, the items that were and were not allowed by the inmates, etc .

So if you're looking more for a book that talks mostly about books, it'd be a disappointment . I still liked it ,because he became close to a few of the inmates and followed up with their stories after they were released from prison, so it was interesting to hear that end of it .

Thanks for clearing that up :) You know me, I like my true crime and psychology and I'm definitely interested in the prison aspect, too. I just felt like I wanted to know beforehand if there was going to be much book talk: now I know what to expect (and not to expect) from the book and I think it's better this way :) Sounds really interesting! :)

Great review Julie, did the book have pics in? It would be interesting to see what a prison library looks like; is it like a public library or just a room with a few shelves in? 

I agree, that would be interesting. I think the only image I have of a prison library comes from the movie Shawshank Redemption!

Poppy

Yes, it was nonfiction  :)

Alexi

Thanks, hope you enjoy it !

KM

No,sadly, no photos. That would have also probably been one of the rules --they had lots of rules in there you'd never think of .

The author did a good job at explaining the place, so you kinda had a good picture in  your head of what it looked like . It sounded like it had a few tables , most of the books were paperback (as the hardback ones could be used as weapons . Magazines , but none allowed to leave the library (also if they had ENOUGH magazines, they could roll them up somehow, then tape them to form a type of baseball bat ,like thing .

The prisoners were allowed to "check out " 3 books to bring back to their cell .  They also had a movie  once in awhile that the librarian got to choose. Nothing graphic or violent .

They had another room that was the Law Room, lots of books on laws, tables, etc to take note if the guys wanted to try to work on their cases or appeals themselves .

Frankie

I never saw Shawshank Redemption ! I'm not much of a movie watcher, although I think I saw Green Mile ,but it was so long ago, all I remember was it had a really sad ending .

Edited by julie

Frankie

I never saw Shawshank Redemption ! I'm not much of a movie watcher, although I think I saw Green Mile ,but it was so long ago, all I remember was it had a really sad ending .

Yes, The Green Mile will make you cry :( Such a wonderful story in many ways but so sad, too! Shawshank Redemption is a real classic, it's on the top rated 100 movies on the IMDB for a reason. The book is alright, too, but the movie's better.

Thanks Frankie, I'll keep it in mind. Maybe someday I'll at least read the book . I don't know what it is about me and movies . There are very few that I have watched. I used to like the funny ones when John Candy, Chevy Chase, the guy from Stripes.. Geez, see, I can't even remember the names of the stars . I also liked Rodney Dangerfield's movie, Easy Money. I guess you could say I don't watch movies that have any SUBSTANCE or story line ... just something funny to make me laugh .