Julie 2014

julie

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Julie .. so sorry to hear about all your troubles  :friends0:  It's so difficult to concentrate on reading when your mind is full of worry. Hope the hubster can find work soon and that'll relieve you both of that particular worry at least. Sending love and hugs xx

Thanks, Kay

Yes, out of all the things going haywire, the JOB is definitely the biggest worry . He's applied at lots of places ,but no luck so far . I think maybe his age is what the main problem is . 56 -- kinda hard to start over at that age I think ... He worked the same job since 18, so it's strange for him to be back in the job-seeking world . Hoping someone will give him a chance. If I knew we would still have an income and insurance, I think I could deal with the rest .

Keeping my fingers (and everything else ) crossed .

Tattoos . Seriously thinking of getting one,so I've been doing an informal survey to ask others if they have one, what it is and where .

Kate brought up a good point :

As you AGE , your PARTS start to sag .

I'd hate to have George Clooney on my butt cheek ,then wake up one day with Jimmy Durante .  :(

I don't actually know who the second guy is (I'll go and Google him!) but I'd rather have him tattooed on my body than George Clooney! :giggle2:

I have a tattoo on my right ankle. It didn't hurt as much as I'd thought it would. I'm considering a second one.

Reading BINGO !

I love the sound of that challenge.  I can't take on any more at the moment but it's definitely one for the future...

I'd just like to add my good luck for your husband getting a job - and a hug for your health.  :hug:

Hi Janet

Jimmy Durante was a comedian back in the 50's and 60's I thin. Not sure how long ago. I just remembered seeing him when I was a kid on the old variety type shows. I picked him because he had such a wrinkled up face. Trying to figure out someone who had a really old-looking wrinkly face .

What picture did you get on your tattoo , if you don't mind me asking ?

The Bingo Book challenge seemed an easy one to find books for ,not being very restrictive as  far as a specific list ,so it should be do-able as long as I keep on reading. I can probably find books to fit into all the slots .

Thanks for the well wishes .

The Little Stranger - Sarah Waters  4/5

The "Hundreds Hall " , a manor house , was first introduced into the book when the town doctor was a boy of 10 . His mother was a maid ,and he got a small glimpse inside the house at a garden party ,when his mother took him inside to visit with her friends who worked there . He became fascinated with the house after that . He went on to school to become a physician  ,and came back to the village he grew up in to practice . 

Soon, he becomes acquainted with the Ayres family, the residents of  Hundreds Hall . At first, he comes to treat their maid, but soon becomes friends of the family and visits them quite often . As time goes on ,he becomes fond of them and has quite an interest in the house . By this time, it has become in very bad shape ,the family being unable to keep up with the repairs on it .

As time goes on, he also becomes their physician ,and strange occurrences begin happening in the house .Slowly small things begin to take on more alarming proportions . Odd events happen , which make things spiral out of control in the house .

The author does a good job of telling the story . If you like a good old fashioned gothic story about a spooky old house with a lot of unexplained events happening , then this is for you .

I'd give this one a 4 /5 . Will definitely be reading more by Sarah Waters .

Great review Julie. I read this a few years ago when it was on the tv book club show. I really enjoyed it and also felt the urge to read more by Sarah Walters. I bought Fingersmith fairly soon after finishing little stranger and although I started it and was really enjoying it for some reason I never got round to finishing it.

Thanks Kate

Yes, I've had it on my tbr for a long time and finally finished it . It was really good !

Tunn

Yes, I also have Fingersmith and have started it a couple times but never gotten very far. Maybe I'll be more inclined to try it again now.

Thanks for stopping by, you guys !   :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Kate

Yes, I've had it on my tbr for a long time and finally finished it . It was really good !

Tunn

Yes, I also have Fingersmith and have started it a couple times but never gotten very far. Maybe I'll be more inclined to try it again now.

Thanks for stopping by, you guys !   :)

Great review of The Little Stranger.  I have never been disappointed by Sarah Waters....my favourite of hers is The Night Watch, with Fingersmith a very close second.  I've read all of her books, and she is one of the few authors whose books I will always buy, without even looking at the synopsis, because I know I'll enjoy it :)

Thanks for the recommendation, Ruth ! The Night Watch is one I don't have ,so will be on the lookout for it .I think I have another of hers. too. I'll definitely look it up on Amazon this morning . :)

Well I finally gave in and ordered a paper copy of A Suitable Boy . It's been on my Wish List for a long time . I've been waiting for them to put in on Kindle, but so far ,no luck, although it is on Kindle on the UK site .

Anyhow, I ordered a used copy ,in very nice shape .   What a WHOPPER !!!       Over 1400 pages .

I liked the little" Ditty"  the author wrote at the beginning ,as a word of thanks . Last 2 lines :

Buy me before good sense insists

You'll strain your purse and sprain your wrists .

Pretty funny ! The book wasn't too much strain on the purse  , being used ( 4 bucks ) , but the wrist part has yet to be seen !

I am so excited I finally got a copy !

'A Suitable Boy' is a book I read years ago, and despite not remembering many details, I do remember enjoying it. It's a meandering story, and you kind of have to throw a mental raft into it's waters and just enjoying the lyrical ride. I don't recall the length being a particular problem either.   :smile:

Oh I hope you enjoy A Suitable Boy, Julie.  I read it when it first came out - in hardback! - while on a holiday to the Lake District, and  it was one of the few holidays I only needed to take one book with me. :D  It lasted me the whole week and I still remember it fondly.  It started my forays into fiction set in India, and some of those books are now included in my absolute favourite reads. :)

Pixie

I guess we'll both have a treat coming with Night Watch then !

Claire

You may have been the one who mentioned Suitable Boy awhile back. I remember some others mentioning it in here and how much they enjoyed it . I can certainly understand why you'd only need one book on a vacation when it's THIS huge !  It'd last a really long time .   :)