Julie 2014

julie

Laura

Yes , that subject shouldn't be talked about as if it were entertainment. Behind all of those cases ,there are family members who are suffering ,on both sides  . I've found recently that the True Crime books have become more like the National Enquirer magazine . They sensationalize the crime more, they show graphic photos, etc . The older books were handled much better and more respectfully .

Chalie

Yes, my Grandma made a lot of handmade items. they had a big family and lived on a farm, so she was a hard worker . The quilts were made out of the scraps from old clothes ,etc ,so that they didn't waste anything. They were thrifty .She didn't even own a tv until one of the family bought her a small one ,maybe in the 70's . She never watched it, though . She was used to working hard and keeping busy ,so she probably felt like she was wasting time sitting down to watch a tv show .

Diane

Thanks , I'll try to hit every square on my Bingo chart  :)

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put this on the first page of my thread ,but didn't know if it'd show up or not, so thought I'd post it here as well :

World book Night, Us and UK Book Lists .

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12384-julie-2014/?p=374263

Have any of you ever participated in this before ? Plan on doing it this year ?

I haven't, but a few people on the forum have, although off the top of my head I cannot remember a single one! :blush2:  My brain is currently a bundle of cotton wool soaked in molasses - all messy gooey and useless!

Just looked at both lists, and I haven't read any of them, but some of them do look so interesting I may have to extend my wish list. Oh dear, I really shouldn't have looked!

Edited by Chrissy

Chrissy

I have 4 and have read 2 others . ( Miss Peregrine & This Boy's Life )

I'll probably need to reread Miss Peregrine, since I got part 2 and don't remember enough about part 1 to do me much good !

I think my brain has the same molasses on it that yours does !

I haven't taken part. I got given a book though outside the supermarket one year. I felt guilty and refused at first as the books are meant to encourage non-readers but the person looked cold and desperate and it was getting late so I accepted it (and still haven't read it .. tut tut :blush2:)

Interesting selection this year .. glad to see Ben Aaronovitch included :)

Chrissy

I have 4 and have read 2 others . ( Miss Peregrine & This Boy's Life )

I'll probably need to reread Miss Peregrine, since I got part 2 and don't remember enough about part 1 to do me much good !

I think my brain has the same molasses on it that yours does !

Hah, make that me, three.  I'll def have to reread the first one.  /sigh/

Neat site, Julie.  I've saved the link to look into more closely later. Thanks. :D

Kay

What book did they give you ?

Kate

Thanks, glad you liked it . I guess there was too much of a gap between the 1st and 2nd  of Ransom's books !  We'll catch up at some point and get them both read ..... hopefully before the 3rd comes out .  :)

I put this on the first page of my thread ,but didn't know if it'd show up or not, so thought I'd post it here as well :

World book Night, Us and UK Book Lists .

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12384-julie-2014/?p=374263

Have any of you ever participated in this before ? Plan on doing it this year ?

Not participated in but i usually end up buying the books when they turn up in the charity shops  :smile:

Interesting list for this year but i can't say that there's any that really leap out & say READ ME i do have the Armistad Maupin one on my TBR pile though.

Not that any of us need MORE ideas for books to read, but just in case, here are a couple sites that help you choose what to read next, in case you just read a really good book and want another just as good or the same type of book :

http://www.literature-map.com/

http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/index.php

So here goes :

CURRENT READ :

51dSrV8cyRL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

The Observations   by Jane Harris

Jane Harris webpage with a list of her favorite books .   http://www.janeharris.com/books

I read her other book, Gillespie and I ,which was a Poppyshake book and was EXCELLENT ~~~

Wow, what a book !  When I first started this, I thought it wouldn't match up to her last book, Gillespie and I . Boy ,was I wrong !  This one was slow to start for me , although I loved the main character who tells the story , Bessie .

She reminds me a bit of a female , English , Huck Finn . If any of that makes sense . She is rough around the edges and speaks her mind ,and many of her statements are hilarious .

She begins the book by traveling down the road looking for new employment after her last employer's demise . She isn't really trained for the position she takes, but manages to lie her way into getting the job in the beginning .

She is hired to do pretty much everything in a small country house which is very run down and doesn't have enough employees to keep it running like it should be.

As she tells her story, you begin to learn that she has entered into a position that leans towards the "gothic" type of household ,and by the middle of the book, that's what it seems to be , but as time goes on, it twists and turns into a lot more of a story .

If you're looking for an interesting read, pick up The Observations . Find out who is observing whom, and why . You won't be sorry !

Highly recommended --- 5 / 5

Edited by julie

Kay

Kate

Thanks, glad you liked it . I guess there was too much of a gap between the 1st and 2nd  of Ransom's books !  We'll catch up at some point and get them both read ..... hopefully before the 3rd comes out .  :)

Hah, some point, yes.  It's on the list, but so are.....well, you know!  :P  :doh:  :blush2:

Not that any of us need MORE ideas for books to read, but just in case, here are a couple sites that help you choose what to read next, in case you just read a really good book and want another just as good or the same type of book :

http://www.literature-map.com/

http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/index.php

Thanks a lot, Julie!  Yes, we always need more suggestions!  /tearing hair out/  

I used to have the first link, it's really fun...

The second one...I've already gotten one possible out of it.......... :o  What. A. Surprise!  Oy.   Great link!

:friends0:

I've just put up a review of The Observations. I loved it, so hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I also have Gillespie and I on my wishlist. :smile:

Going over there now to check it out.....

BB

You are in for such a treat with Gillespie and I . I really liked that book a lot. First heard of it when Poppy read it last year ( I think it was ). Very good book ! A lot different type of book than this but I'm liking this one a lot too !

Kate

Always glad to assist you in finding new reading material ! I know your TBR is probably running dangerously low.   :o

Nothing like the feeling of being in the mood to read and having nothing in the house to read but the back of the cereal box .  :D

I went to my first World Book Night event in 2013, and was given A Little History of the World, Damage, Red Dust Road and The Knife of Never Letting Go. It felt really weird to take four new books free from a book-store! They are still unread - what a surprise  :blush2:  :sarcastic: . This years books are quite interesting, but you don't know which one's are going to be given away. I might go this year. 

Kay

John le Carre's The Spy Who Came in From the Cold .. which obviously has an excellent reputation, it's just .. it's not my normal reading genre but then (as I'm not a non-reader to be converted) that's all the more reason to try it .. to break free of my stuck-in-the-mud reading choice ways. I will definitely give it a go at some point.

I must get around to reading more by Jane Harris too .. enjoyed her storytelling in Gillespie and I :)

I went to my first World Book Night event in 2013, and was given A Little History of the World, Damage, Red Dust Road and The Knife of Never Letting Go. It felt really weird to take four new books free from a book-store! They are still unread - what a surprise  :blush2:  :sarcastic: . This years books are quite interesting, but you don't know which one's are going to be given away. I might go this year. 

Marie

I think it would be strange to get handed new books for free . I guess their goal is to get everyone to read or read more, so it may as well be you as anyone else, right ? I wonder if everyone who gets handed a free book reads it ( like people who don't like to read ) ?

I'm sure you'll get around to them someday . :)

Hi Julie, 

Love the Bingo card idea! Will be following your progress. I have also added The Bottoms to my wish list. :)

Alexi

Thanks

I may be able to chip away at the bingo card easier than some other challenges , since so many books could fit into their categories . I like it when you have a huge selection to choose from.

I hope you like The Bottoms. I thought it was really good !

John le Carre's The Spy Who Came in From the Cold .. which obviously has an excellent reputation, it's just .. it's not my normal reading genre but then (as I'm not a non-reader to be converted) that's all the more reason to try it .. to break free of my stuck-in-the-mud reading choice ways. I will definitely give it a go at some point.

I must get around to reading more by Jane Harris too .. enjoyed her storytelling in Gillespie and I :)

Kay

I think you read a nice variety of books . (That's where I get a lot of my book-buying ideas from )  :)  But I get what you mean. I've never read John LeCarre's books either .... I'm not a very adventuresome reader ,either .I stick to the same type books I have always liked for the most part .

I wish we had something like World Book Night.. it sounds like fun :).

Athena

Maybe you could email them and see if they will try branching out to other countries someday ? I bet they would if they got enough interest in it .

I finished The Observations - Review is in the link on post 1 . (or one the last page of posts before this one )

Just found this book list on Amazon, thought someone might find it interesting . How many have you read in their Bucket List ?

I've read 18 and have 6 more of them .

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=s9_acss_bw_hsb_BHP2_04BB_s1?_encoding=UTF8&ie=UTF8&node=8192263011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=0RM54K7JX89DRF7693RP&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1723558282&pf_rd_i=283155

I finished The Observations - Review is in the link on post 1 . (or one the last page of posts before this one )

Just found this book list on Amazon, thought someone might find it interesting . How many have you read in their Bucket List ?

I've read 18 and have 6 more of them .

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=s9_acss_bw_hsb_BHP2_04BB_s1?_encoding=UTF8&ie=UTF8&node=8192263011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=0RM54K7JX89DRF7693RP&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1723558282&pf_rd_i=283155

Great review, Julie.  It's sitting in a stack on the steps as I type.  :D 

I had not seen that list on Amazon, Julie, thanks for posting. :)

I have 27 of them and have read 16 already.

Excellent review of The Observations. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It has to be one of the best books I've read. :boogie:

Bobbly

You're in for a treat them, because I thought Gillespie and I was even better ! I liked them both a lot ,though . I wish she'd hurry up and get another one out since I think she has only written the 2 so far .

Great review, Julie.  It's sitting in a stack on the steps as I type.  :D

I had not seen that list on Amazon, Julie, thanks for posting. :)

I have 27 of them and have read 16 already.

Thanks Kate

I envy you getting to read it for the first time . It was a really good book. Started a bit slow for me, but soon got better and before long, it was one that you didn't want to stop reading ,because you wanted to find out what would happen next .

I figured you had read several on the Amazon list so far ! You are one speedy reader !