Julie 2014

julie

Thanks and same to you , Marie  :)

Yes, Ebenezer was a pretty long book . It took me several days to complete . I like books that are long and rambling and telling you all about the people who live in a certain place ,with all their little quirks and personalities ,so I enjoyed it quite a bit. The author had apparently planned a part 2 and 3 but never managed to complete them.

I finished this a couple hours before New Year's ,and since the 2013 threads had already been archived, I just thought I'd toss it in here for the first of the year .

Best of luck with your reading for the year. I hope you find the best books ever , this year !

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay!! .. throw the rule book away :D Perhaps if you had Laurel on one butt cheek and Hardy on the other .. they could chat to one another?  :D 

Happy New Year and Happy Reading in 2014 Julie!  :hug: Love the sound of The Book of Ebenezer LePage  .. great review Julie  :smile:  

Thank you Athena  ~~~  Pixie ~~~Ruth ~~~~~Kay 

:D

I did enjoy the book and hope you do too if you ever decide to give it a try .

Kay

Thanks for the advice regarding the tattoo . That might be quite the conversation starter , IF I had an occupation that showed my butt cheeks, such as a pole dancer, but I am WAY past my prime for doing such a thing . ( I wouldn't have done it when I WAS in my prime ) .

At least it's something to think about ,though .     :dunno:

51B-r2P1t4L._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

Thunder Over the Prairie

The True Story of a Murder and a Manhunt by the Greatest Posse of All Time   ----by Howard Kazanjian & Chris Enss

This book takes you back to the Old West and the "most wicked little city in America" , Dodge City Kansas . A place of buffalo hunters and cattle hands ,there were a large number of saloons and gambling halls to entertain the men who frequently stopped there .

With the large number of rowdy drinking cowboys, it took strong lawmen to run the town and try to keep crime at a minimum .

This story tells of a long-standing feud between a spoiled rich kid , James Kenedy ,  whose father owned one of the largest ranches  in the area, and the Judge in town . There had been a few encounters ,but one night, things got out of hand . The kid , James Kenedy , decided to seek revenge . He made plans to kill the judge in his bed, then get away on a fast horse . The plan went bad for him when he drove by the judge's house and fired several shots. Little did he know that the judge had taken sick and gone to the nearby fort for medical care ,so he wasn't home. He had lent the use of his home to 2 singers who entertained all over the country . A target was hit, but not the one intended . Dora Hand , who had entertained people all over the country with her singing ,was asleep in the room when the bullet hit her ,killing her instantly .

The town formed a posse of  : Bat Masterson , Charlie Bassett, Bill Tilghman and Wyatt Earp . It tells of their search for Kenedy , and what happened afterwards. Did they catch him ? Did he hang ?

Read the book to find out the rest of the story. It's very interesting  ,especially if you love reading about the Old West as I do .

5/ 5

Edited by julie

51aenZ45auL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

3- Year of Our Lord  : Faith , Hope and Harmony in the Mississippi Delta   --T. R. Pearson  / Langdon Clay (photography)  3/5

This book was a quick read  ,filled with several pictures of the Mississippi Delta and the people who live there . It tells the story of a boy named Lucas McCarty , who was born oxygen deprived, which caused him to have Cerebral Palsy , He is unable to talk or walk , but he loves to "sing" in his church choir ,which is all Black . He is the only white person . He was welcomed with open arms

His preacher loves him and says " God makes no mistakes ".

Lucas has a wheelchair but prefers to crawl on his knees to get around . He has a device called a Minspeak, which helps him to communicate electronically . It has a keypad with buttons that represent objects and symbols rather than letters,so he types, it talks for him .

He's quite an inspiration .He works at any type job he can do and loves his church over anything else . He says he has always loved Black people more than whites because they are the only ones who accept him as he is .

Anyhow, this book is short as I said, but it packs quite a message inside those pages.

It's a story of a place that is economically poor , people who have had struggles and hardships and many a "checkered past" ,before joining their church, but it is rish in those same people and the scenery around them .

At the end of the book, the author said when he met Lucas , he  "did the disservice of wishing him "normal ". What I didn't know yet ,is that he was already extraordinary . "

I'll give this book a  3/5 , only due to its shortness and lack of a more complete story. It's just a glimpse inside the life of a person who lives in Mississippi, but it's a beautiful glimpse .

Yes, Pixie, it was a really nice book. I'm not much of a church-goer anymore, but I don't think you'd have to be to enjoy this book. It mainly shows how good people can be, no matter how bad their life may have been at one point, and they may not have a lot of nice "things", but they have a heart of gold . I like reading about people like that . :)

Yes, Pixie, it was a really nice book. I'm not much of a church-goer anymore, but I don't think you'd have to be to enjoy this book. It mainly shows how good people can be, no matter how bad their life may have been at one point, and they may not have a lot of nice "things", but they have a heart of gold . I like reading about people like that . :)

I`ve just had a look at some of the book`s pictures online - so beautiful. :smile:

Yes Pixie

It is so pretty down there. I've never been to Mississippi  , but it certainly does look beautiful . I need to remember to ask Kate if it looks anything like that where she is from, as she'd be in the general vicinity ( a state away ) .

Kay

Yes, I thought of your dad while reading the cowboy book with the posse . It was a pretty cool story if you like cowboy boos, which I do !  Too bad they don't have it on audio for him . Does his local library have books on tape he could borrow ? They probably have some westerns on audio books unless he has already listened to them all .

51B-r2P1t4L._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

Thunder Over the Prairie

The True Story of a Murder and a Manhunt by the Greatest Posse of All Time   ----by Howard Kazanjian & Chris Enss

This book takes you back to the Old West and the "most wicked little city in America" , Dodge City Kansas . A place of buffalo hunters and cattle hands ,there were a large number of saloons and gambling halls to entertain the men who frequently stopped there .

With the large number of rowdy drinking cowboys, it took strong lawmen to run the town and try to keep crime at a minimum .

This story tells of a long-standing feud between a spoiled rich kid , James Kenedy ,  whose father owned one of the largest ranches  in the area, and the Judge in town . There had been a few encounters ,but one night, things got out of hand . The kid , James Kenedy , decided to seek revenge . He made plans to kill the judge in his bed, then get away on a fast horse . The plan went bad for him when he drove by the judge's house and fired several shots. Little did he know that the judge had taken sick and gone to the nearby fort for medical care ,so he wasn't home. He had lent the use of his home to 2 singers who entertained all over the country . A target was hit, but not the one intended . Dora Hand , who had entertained people all over the country with her singing ,was asleep in the room when the bullet hit her ,killing her instantly .

The town formed a posse of  : Bat Masterson , Charlie Bassett, Bill Tilghman and Wyatt Earp . It tells of their search for Kenedy , and what happened afterwards. Did they catch him ? Did he hang ?

Read the book to find out the rest of the story. It's very interesting  ,especially if you love reading about the Old West as I do .

5/ 5

Now I'm really confused, because I could have sworn I responded to this post - I even remember typing a response, but I guess I must not have pressed 'post'!  Anyway, this book sounds fascinating.  My Dad loves the Old West, and I think I have inherited his interest.  I might get hold of this book, and then pass it on to him when I've finished it; I'm sure we would both enjoy it.  Thanks for the great review :)

Hi Ruth 

I don't know what happened to your post. I know since they have been having trouble getting certain things to work in here (something to do with upgrades or some such thing. I can't remember )

I have had posts ready to post, I click on maybe one letter to correct it or something, and I lose the whole post . Not sure if that is what happened with yours or not ?

Anyhow I really enjoyed the book ,especially because it was a true story and featured a lot of the big names famous at the time . I'm sure if you like westerns, you'd really like it ,and I bet your dad would too . :)

Yes Pixie

It is so pretty down there. I've never been to Mississippi  , but it certainly does look beautiful . I need to remember to ask Kate if it looks anything like that where she is from, as she'd be in the general vicinity ( a state away ) .

Kay

Yes, I thought of your dad while reading the cowboy book with the posse . It was a pretty cool story if you like cowboy boos, which I do !  Too bad they don't have it on audio for him . Does his local library have books on tape he could borrow ? They probably have some westerns on audio books unless he has already listened to them all .

Missed this before....yup, that's a lot like around here.  We have lots of pine forest here, thick forest.  Charles said that the forests up North are walkable.  Down here, you need a machete to get through the forest.  Tall and huge pines around us, we have 5 acres, and it's pretty grown up, except right around the house.  But, south of the Lake it's more lush.  Every kind of Oak tree, Pecan trees, Magnolias, Crepe Myrtles, everything.  Just huge and gorgeous.  Everything grows so beautifully down there, in that black Mississippi River mud. :D

Kate

I bet it is gorgeous down there. Is it really foggy looking like that sometimes too ? Kinda looks like the clouds are laying in the ground . It must be wonderful scenery, and you're so fortunate to live in a remote area like that with peace and quiet !

Hope you enjoy the book if you get it .

It's foggy right now outside my window. :)  During the winter months, December through March or so, we have a lot of morning fog.  There are so many natural and man made lakes around, people love to dig ponds around my area.  We don't have one on this property, but they are all around us on other people's property.

A lot of people commute from the North Shore to New Orleans and Metairie on the South Shore for their work.  It's a long ride, the bridge itself is 24 miles long, and many times the fog is so bad that the Causeway Bridge Police form convoys to cross the lake.  They completely close it down if it gets too bad. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Pontchartrain_Causeway

I can't imagine making that drive every day.  From our house to New Orleans, it's about an hour and 15 minutes.  Sometimes we go a couple of times a week, and that is enough!

Julie - Thunder Over The Prairie sounds really interesting. I can't say cowboy books would normally be my sort of thing, though i did used to love watching those old westerns with my Dad when i was a kid but this ones going on my wishlist  :smile: