Julie 2014

julie

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys

A special :thankyousigna2: to Kate, Pixie, Kay and Athena for the notes on here this morning .    You guys are all so kind to think of me after I've been MIA for so long .

To do a little catch up :

The Hubster has applied non-stop for 6 months and finally got a job, but it's nothing to write home about . The pay is 25 % of what he made before ,with no insurance or benefits of any kind. It's a small company ,so they only have work when they get orders in ,so he's already been "laid off " from it for 2 weeks within the past 7 weeks of working there .  On the UP side , he got a second interview yesterday at a  much better place, with more money and insurance.  They called yesterday afternoon and asked him to get a background and drug test, so it SOUNDS good . We're afraid to get too excited about it , but this is the best bite he has had so far .

Money has been tight here ,so we had internet off for a time. I came in here and cleared out most of my profile stuff, not knowing when or if I'd have internet again . We missed it so much, we found a cheaper company and got signed up again . Wow, did I miss this place !

On the medical front,  I need a total knee replacement done ASAP ... you oughta see the x-ray !   It looks horrid and feels worse.  The Doc has surgery scheduled for next month, because he said it REALLY needs done . We're going to have to buy our own insurance ,which is over 1000 bucks a month . :eek:  But no insurance, no surgery .

** Have you guys heard of TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY ?  I WALK like a pirate with a wooden leg . **

I've been forcing myself to read, which is no easy task ( for me ) when I have so many problems rattling around in my head ,but I have managed to finish a few more books.

I'll try to put up some quickie reviews on them after this post.

I hope you are all doing well  , I'll be glad to catch up with the boards and everyone's latest posts and see what all I've missed .

American Boy - Larry Watson

This book was a disappointment after reading Watson's other book, Montana 1948 , which was REALLY good .

I guess the writing in this one was good too, but it told a really sad tale ,with a not -so-satisfactory ending, so it kinda left a bad taste in my mouth . Not saying I wouldn't read any others by him, but this one definitely wouldn't be the best in my opinion .

It was the story of 2 teen boys, one , a doctor's son, the other, a low-income kid .He is welcomed into the Dr's home and treated well in the beginning, but as time goes on, and he finds out more about the family, things go bad .

He finds out that from the outside, the family and their life look just about perfect ,and he looks up to the doctor as such a role model ,but by the end of the book, you find out that things aren't what they seemed .

I guess it sort-of has a good ending ,depending on how you look at it .Good for one person, but not good for others .

3/5

Good to 'see' you Julie. Glad that you are back on the internet again. It is good that things are happening for husband, and I will keep my fingers firmly crossed for this other job. I hope it works out.

Your knee sounds pretty bad. Sorry that the insurance costs are so high.  My Dad had a new knee at the beginning of the year, and after years of walking wonky (he had a bowed leg from it) is now walking straight, which is strange to witness!

Two pieces of equipment he found to be helpful to his knee mending was a big overstuffed cushion (I fashioned one from a thing duvet and a soft sheet) to raise his leg up high, and a skateboard (I got a mini one, just an inch or two longer than his foot) to help with the exercises. He would sit rolling his foot back and forth while watching television.

Final Argument - Tom Bucy

This book was a follow up written by a lawyer who re-examined a double murder that happened back in 1974 on a small island way off the coast of Hawaii called Palmyra , There was a book written about it many years ago called And the Sea Will Tell, by Vincent Bugliosi . It's one of my favorite true crime books .

This murder case really never had a complete ending . They've only ever found one of the bodies , they had trials for the 2 people involved. One got life, the other got set free . This new book examines the one who got off ,and gives many reasons why she probably was involved and got away with it .

A very interesting book if you like reading true crime .

Hi Chrissy   :)

Thanks for the note . I'm glad your dad was able to get his knee done. It is so worth it . My other one was replaced 5 years ago . It'd "lock open" if I bent it straight out ( the bones were rubbing each other with no cartilage left ,so I'd have to slowly bend it and you could feel ( and hear ) it THUNK when it bent.  YEK ... It really hurt too, but I think this one hurts worse. I can't even bend this one straight ,so I am supposed to be doing exercises with it to stretch it out so the ligaments and muscles will loosen up in it .

I will be SO glad to get it done. I bet your dad was too ! Thanks for the tips on how he exercised his . I 'll have a month or 2 of therapy to do on it post-op .

To Hell on a Fast Horse: Billy the Kid, Pat Garrett, and the Epic Chase to Justice in the Old West

This was an ok book ,but a little disjointed and hard to follow in spots since it jumped around a bit. It tells more of the life of Billy the Kid ,who sounded like quite a fascinating character who could have quite a charming personality , and be a true friend, but he could also kill a person if he felt the need . It seems most of the times he killed someone , it was in defense of / or to avenge a friend's death . It was really hard to tell from the book whether he was a TRULY bad guy or whether he killed people who he thought "needed killing" .

Whistling Past the Graveyard - Susan Crandall

For those fans of The Help,. you may enjoy this one . It reminds me a bit of it in a way . It seems a little far fetched in a couple spots, so I almost gave it a 3 star, but I liked the ending, so bumped it up to 4 .

It's worth the read if you don't want anything really taxing to read ... just an easy on the brain book .

The Coffins of Little Hope - Timothy Schaffert 2/5

This book sounded like it'd be really good, but wasn't . It was weird ,hard to follow ,and made no sense at all .

Supposedly a little girl comes up missing from a small town where nothing ever happens, which draws the police, searchers, people bringing flowers, etc to help this mom whose child supposedly got kidnapped. You don't really know if there ever WAS a kid or if it was all made up. Toss in a family with a bunch of trouble, an old lady who writes obituaries for the paper in town, a supposed book series due to be printed by this same newspaper ,and a bunch of holy-roller fanaticals who converge on the town.

WEIRD is the best way to describe this one ,

When We Were the Kennedys : a Memoir from Mexico, Maine -- Monica Wood  5/5

This was by far one of my  favorites of the year. It's a true story told about a family from Maine .The little girl telling the story is around my age and a lot of the things she mentioned growing up ,reminded me of things in my childhood. I certainly didn't have to go through the main tragedy that she did, which was losing her dad at the age of 9 . The story all centers around that and how the family falls apart ,but then pulls itself back together in the end .

Good to see you back Julie :smile: keeping my fingers crossed for the hubster and the new job. We are trying to save pennies too so know exactly what you're going through .. I am a whizz at cooking with leftovers now .. but my fridge is a sad, sad sight ... there's tumbleweed blowing through it :D Hope you can have that knee operation done soon .. you'll feel like a new woman .. probably be able to compete in the next Olympics  :D It must be so difficult to have to worry about the expense of it though :( That's additional pain and worry isn't it?  :empathy: 

I've had to hammer a few books to my forehead as well .. concentration is the thing but it's good to try and lose yourself in a story .. I feel a bit sorry for the books I've read because they had to try extra hard to entertain  :blush2: This years tally isn't going to look so good but I'll be happy just to find us more settled at the end of the year. Will be hoping very much that you are too xx

I hope the hubster gets the better job! I hope your knee replacement goes well, it's a shame it costs so much (here insurance doesn't cost as much but everyone has to have one). I've heard of talk like a pirate day, I hope the surgery will make you be able to walk much better. I'm glad you read some books, it's nice to read the reviews. I hope things work out for you and the hubster :friends0:.

Thanks Kay & Athena

Yes, I'm pretty tired of worrying about all this stuff . I spent most of yesterday on the phone with insurances , trying to find a better and lower policy ,and one that will cover us as soon as possible . I also had to call the Dr and get the surgery moved back a week further since insurance won't go into effect in time to get the pre-testing all completed . I guess they need pre-approval for an MRI ,which is a big money test ,and cant get that yet .Soonest looks like the first couple days in July, surgery now moved to the very end of July.

I'm keeping fingers crossed that the new job will come through. It's been a long 7 months ,the hubster being home for most of them, other than going out daily to apply at every place he can think of .

Better days ahead . Gotta keep telling myself that .

Julie, Julie, Julie!!!!  (in best Cary Grant voice).

First of all, :friends0: .  Really happy to see you back in here.

Secondly.....awfully sorry about all the problems you are enduring right now.  :(  It's scary being out of work, and the older we are, the scarier it is.  But Hubster is pulling it out of the fire, Boy, I hope the new job he is going about and all the tests they want to run mean he has it. 

Thirdly, (although not least, by any means!)  Very, very sorry you are in so much pain with your knee.  I know that's miserable.  And the insurance situation is insane.  Just insane. 

Don't get me started on that political crap.  It simply infuriates me.  :banghead:  :Tantrum:  :rant:

At least you are turning the worrying into positive action on the phone search.  But you know as well as I do that worrying doesn't solve a thing.  So, phone, arrange, do what you can, and let it go.  Boy, I know how hard that it.  Me, the original Worry Wart.  It ain't easy to let worry go, but you are a strong person, Julie.  Kick that worry in the butt and down the street.

Good that you've been able to read, sometimes that is the only escape.  And you've had some interesting reads.  :flowers2:

Edited by pontalba

Kate

Yes, you are right. Worrying doesn't help anything ,but I have always been a worrier ,so I'm probably not likely to change that . It is awful to be out of work when you're in your 50's . Whether they SAY they don't discriminate due to age, they DO .. All the guys they got rid of were the same age :50's and 60's . We are REALLY hoping this newest interview pans out into something. The company sounds good ,and hopefully it'll get him through to retirement age if he gets in there .

As for the insurance ,VERY frustrating . The company didn't release the names and addresses to the middleman (who goes between the old insurance and switches us to Cobra ) until June 1st, which was a Sunday . They don't work that day, so it was the 2nd when they got this huge list of names (400 from HIS building , 1200 nationwide ) . That has left us without insurance coverage until this mess gets straightened out . We got the packet of papers today . With June almost half gone, we would back owe them ,starting back to June 1st . We didn't USE the insurance those days since we didn't have it ... but still have to pay for it if we want that coverage,so we owe $1050 for the next 2 weeks, then another $1050 on July 1st . (to cover July)

I think this lady I heard from yesterday afternoon will be able to help us find a cheaper policy ,but it won't take effect til July 1st . Something about the new health-care plan, and if you sign up now, it has to start at the 1st of the month . I sure hope we don't need anything done in the next 2 weeks ! SCAREY with no insurance .

Anyhow, enough about that . Nothing more I can do about it at this point, other than wait . 

Yes, I'm surprised I have been able to read anything at all, but I have way too much time to THINK, so it's best to direct my brain in another area if possible.

Thanks for the kind comments . It means a lot .  :)

Pixie

Thanks to you also, I missed you guys and hope to catch up in here and get around to visiting other threads ,etc  to catch up with everyone else .

My Grandson is here today so he's keeping me entertained . He's a talker like me, so he usually has something funny to say to cheer me up ,although he's 12 now,so at the age where he likes his space a bit too .

He'll be going to 7th grade in the fall ...and is taking scuba-diving lessons this summer ,believe it or not ! We don't really live in an area where you could do that much .Their lessons are in a deep swimming pool , and he has a written test to take tonight to get his certificate . I think they are going to Lake Erie for their final dive to complete the class.

He is growing up so fast !

Anyhow, thanks, you guys ,for checking in . I'll get around to check into your threads soon !

Edited by julie

I had to look up where Lake Erie was ( or is ;)  ) - I vaguely thought it was near Chicago, and I was vaguely right. :blush2:

What a great hobby/career path your Grandson has. I hope he has the book gene too.  :smile:  

Thinking of you, Julie, as everyone else is. :empathy:

Sorry Pixie ..

Yea, Lake Erie would be the biggest body of water near us ,and it's about an hour or more north . My grandson is interested in lots of things, so it's hard to tell what direction he'll go. He also loves space and knows more about it than anyone I know . He says he might want to be a scientist of some type since it's his favorite subject, plus he loves Egypt and the pyramids. So, a wide range of ideas , but he's just turned 12, so it takes awhile to bring all your ideas together and decide what you want to make of them . I wanted to be a teacher my entire childhood, but ended up a nurse . ( although I haven't worked in many years ) . I still think it'd be fun to teach ,but probably the older kids ,,high school , I think would be best. I like that age of kids a lot .

Anyhow, thanks for checking in ,and I'll try to stay a bit more consistent in here again .

Edited by julie

• 2 weeks later...