Julie 2014

julie

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Julie, I've been really behind in your thread, so have just read about your woes. So sorry to hear about your knee. How is it holding up now? I hope you got your car sorted too. What a bunch of conmen! I'm glad you gave them a good dressing down.

And a very, very belated congratulations to your hubby on his new (well, not so new anymore) job.

I hope to see you back here soon!  :flowers2:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks

Long time , no post, huh ?

Thank you SO much to everyone who came looking for me and sorry for the MIA once again. As most of you know by now, when I disappear for long stretches, usually something has come up to knock me down .

This time is like all the others . The main problem started with the car we bought last summer that broke right after we got it . To make a long and really boring story short, we had it in THREE garages for TWO months and the bill was STAGGERING ,only to get it back and be told to "unload it " as quickly as possible because it had other problems that would also be big money. We ended up selling it at a huge loss, but the guy who bought it was told in detail ( plus given all paperwork from the repair bills ) , so it's not like we sold him a pig in a poke . He has a best friend who repairs VW's ,so my guess is their friendship will be needed !

We then bought another used car which has been great and runs well .

On the health front,  I ended up in ER last weekend . After multiple tests this week, I  have pneumonia , and a kidney stone . (which is currently not causing any blockage so they are leaving it alone  for now )

I had pneumonia last year , but the doc says she thinks they caught this earlier and are trying to treat me at home, hoping to keep me out of the hospital . Tomorrow I will start round 2 of the antibiotics .

On the Reading front, I have virtually come to a standstill on that , other than to just finish up this little gem :

51jwfM0baRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

It was a nostalgic  look back at all the decorations, toys, candy, foods ,tv shows and music during my growing up years and brought back lots of good memories .

Hoping to keep up in here more lately and read up on what everyone else is up to .

Thanks again for all your posts , Very nice of you !

I hope you are all well yourselves .

Chrissy

Sure wish I could make a short trip to the beach to collect seashells to hang on our tree !  That sounds like fun . Good to hear from you.

Kate

Thanks for the welcome back. I bet you have read a wheelbarrow full of books while I've been gone ! What's your total up to ?

Eleanora

Thanks ,and a big hug back to you . How have you been doing ?

A Land More Kind Than Home  - Wiley Cash

It seems this one has been on my Kindle  a      l - o -n - g  time ,so I thought I'd give it a go . It turned out to be a surprisingly quick read . Started it yesterday and finished it today .

It's a story set in NC and leans heavily on the old time snake handling churches. I guess I shouldn't call them old time ,as there still are some out there .

Anyhow, the belief was that if your Faith was strong enough you could pick up a serpent and wouldn't be harmed if bitten . This church happened to be run by one of the charismatic, powerful sorts of men who have a hold over people and can convince them to do things they normally wouldn't have done, but as time goes on, and he gains more control they seem to lose theirs .

The story is told by 3 people's viewpoints ,so you get bits and pieces of each one ,all building up to a sermon that goes too far and the horrible consequences that everyone is left to deal with .

A very well told story !      I 'll give this one a 4 . .

Nice review, Julie...sounds good.  Glad you're reading 'n reviewing again.  :D

Yup, I've broken a hundred, as I'd hoped.  I'm reading, I think #108 right now.  (nuttin' like our Gaia though!) 

There was one in particular I thought you'd like....I meant to post it on your thread.....did I?  lol  It's   from November, The Great New Orleans Kidnapping Case by Michael A. Ross 4/5.  True story of a little girl kidnapped in 1860something in New Orleans.  I think this link will lead you to my review. http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12437-pontalbas-2014-reading-list/?p=409268

Welcome back Julie! We've missed you. Sorry to hear of your car troubles, karma will bight them in the bum!

I hope you have a very merry Christmas. :)

Hi folks

Long time , no post, huh ?

Thank you SO much to everyone who came looking for me and sorry for the MIA once again. As most of you know by now, when I disappear for long stretches, usually something has come up to knock me down .

This time is like all the others . The main problem started with the car we bought last summer that broke right after we got it . To make a long and really boring story short, we had it in THREE garages for TWO months and the bill was STAGGERING ,only to get it back and be told to "unload it " as quickly as possible because it had other problems that would also be big money. We ended up selling it at a huge loss, but the guy who bought it was told in detail ( plus given all paperwork from the repair bills ) , so it's not like we sold him a pig in a poke . He has a best friend who repairs VW's ,so my guess is their friendship will be needed !

We then bought another used car which has been great and runs well .

On the health front,  I ended up in ER last weekend . After multiple tests this week, I  have pneumonia , and a kidney stone . (which is currently not causing any blockage so they are leaving it alone  for now )

I had pneumonia last year , but the doc says she thinks they caught this earlier and are trying to treat me at home, hoping to keep me out of the hospital . Tomorrow I will start round 2 of the antibiotics .

On the Reading front, I have virtually come to a standstill on that , other than to just finish up this little gem :

51jwfM0baRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

It was a nostalgic  look back at all the decorations, toys, candy, foods ,tv shows and music during my growing up years and brought back lots of good memories .

Hoping to keep up in here more lately and read up on what everyone else is up to .

Thanks again for all your posts , Very nice of you !

I hope you are all well yourselves .

Julie, I'm just catching up on the forum.  I'm glad you're back, and sorry for all the troubles you have been through.  I truly hope things look up for you  :empathy: xx