The most disturbing work of fiction that you have ever read

Oblomov

For me it would have to be Truman Capote's In Cold Blood. Everything is so vivid, you feel you know the people completely, victims and killers. One of those books you put down and it takes you about a week to get over it.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the opposite; I find that no movie director can present me with images more disturbing than those I can conjure up in my mind under the influence of skilful writing...

*sigh* I agree. That also means that no movie would be as imaginative or as entertaining than what I can imagine.

*sigh* I agree. That also means that no movie would be as imaginative or as entertaining than what I can imagine.

That's true also. Imagination is quite the double-edged sword, is it not?

• 1 month later...
I'm the opposite; I find that no movie director can present me with images more disturbing than those I can conjure up in my mind under the influence of skilful writing...

I totally agree.

The two most disturbing books I have read to date are American Psycho and A Clockwork Orange, I have yet to finish them

Misery - Stephen King - I finished it but my imagination nearly stopped me.

We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver - was also disturbing for me in that it looked at parenting and nature vs nurture in detail - it really made you think :icon_eek:

That's so strange, those were the two books that instantly sprang to my mind too! 'Misery' is the only book I've ever read that actually scared me; I actually found it scarier than the film.

'We Need to Talk About Kevin' was disturbing because Kevin was just so twisted! It dealt with the subject in a much more powerful way than, say, 'Nineteen Minutes' by Jodi Picoult.

Okay this is quite random as it's not scary but I am VERY disturbed by...

The part of the bible that says that women must wear hats in church so that men won't be distracted and have sexual thoughts in church.

Every time I try to wrap my head around this I just cannot fathom how a woman can be blamed for a man's own thoughts. Surely men are responsible for what is taking place in their own heads. And I don't understand how a whole culture (actually more than one) can agree with this. And I find it difficult that that passage was written by the same man (Paul) who wrote such an amazing passage on love that it gets read out at most weddings I have been to. That's weird.

By the way, this is not a bible bash post , this is an "I am disturbed by one sentence in the bible" post and I quite like the rest of it and it is one of my favourite books.

most disturbing? I have two...

Let The Right One In - the content of it is quite disturbing. If you have read it then you will know what I mean. I kept thinking to myself 'do I want to be reading this?'

Out by Natsup Kirino - it is a BRILLIANT book and I recommend it. It is kind of a thriller and I flew through it because it is so good but it is quite disturbing and graphic at some points.

I have read Clockwork Orange and didn't find that disturbing..... :D maybe I missed something...

Let The Right One In - the content of it is quite disturbing. If you have read it then you will know what I mean. I kept thinking to myself 'do I want to be reading this?'
Oh dear... this sounded really interesting but then again I'm easily disturbed (as opposed to easily scared, which I'm not) so maybe not a good idea?

I have read Clockwork Orange and didn't find that disturbing..... :D maybe I missed something...
*double gulp* re: "Let the Right One In" - do I really want to be reading a book that's disturbed someone left undisturbed by "A Clockwork Orange"?

I have been back into this thread again and again, and I cannot think of any book that has disturbed me. I've been a little spooked from time to time, but never disturbed.

'A Clockwork Orange' I found fascinating and thought provoking, but not disturbing.

Anthony Burgess lived on the South Coast in the UK, and witnessed the mods and rockers having their bank holiday battles. This triggered the thoughts regarding free will, societal and personal responsibility etc, that form the basis for 'A Clockwork Orange'.

I read from a lot of genres, and I enjoy reading challenging texts, that do make me think, that do make me question my own opinions on matters. 'Nice' books are out there, and I enjoy them too. :lol:

Oh dear... this sounded really interesting but then again I'm easily disturbed (as opposed to easily scared, which I'm not) so maybe not a good idea?

*double gulp* re: "Let the Right One In" - do I really want to be reading a book that's disturbed someone left undisturbed by "A Clockwork Orange"?

:lol: By all means give it a read. I just found LTROI quite 'shocking' but a fantastic book!

No... although if I were to see the film version of this I'd hunt out the original - I hate American remakes of foreign horror films, they're never half as good as the originals. That might be an idea actually, see the film first and then read the book if the film does not disturb me; the only problem with that idea of course is that then I'd know the ending... :lol:!

No... although if I were to see the film version of this I'd hunt out the original - I hate American remakes of foreign horror films, they're never half as good as the originals. That might be an idea actually, see the film first and then read the book if the film does not disturb me; the only problem with that idea of course is that then I'd know the ending... :)!

I didn't know there was an American remake :lol: ugh!

The original is in Swedish and the trailer can be found on youtube :lol: