The most disturbing work of fiction that you have ever read

Oblomov

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and for me still King's best

I agree. Though my boyfriend tells me that H. P. Lovecraft was King's inspiration for the works that he writes, and was referred to as the master of that genre before King. However, I haven't read Lovecraft yet so 'til I do, Stephen King remains the best as far as I'm concerned.

Am I the only one who didn't find Salem's Lot even remotely disturbing?

Nah, I'm sure there must be others who think the same thing :lol:.

• 2 weeks later...
The Lovely Bones disturbed me so much that I stopped reading it after about three chapters and removed it from my home! Horrible horrible horrible.

Ditto but I did finish it - it stayed in my mind for a long time afterwards though.

Edited by Cadenza

I agree completely. I browsed The Lovely Bones at the store and didn't make it past page 2 before I put it back on the shelf. Not for me! Took a second look at it a few days later, thinking I mght have been hasty. Nope! I still don't own it.

Salem's Lot, by Stephen King was rather disturbing to me,.
I agree 'Salems Lot' is a very creepy book and for me still King's best

Am I the only one who didn't find Salem's Lot even remotely disturbing?

All this talk of Salem's Lot makes me even more tempted to buy it. It's on my wishlist at the moment. I wonder what I'll think to it!

I really like the ending, i don't know why, just had a really clear image of it in my head. I don't often like King's endings for some reason, leave me empty. And he's my favourite writer and i love his stories. But that one was good for me.

I have actually tried that book. I can see it on my windowsill now actually. It really disturbed me to be honest, i think i stopped reading after the swimming pool part. I had forgot about that book... lmao!

Is it weird that The Lovely Bones didn't disturb me that much? :/

No, not at all! Many people in the forum I was in told me that the focus of the book changes after the opening events, so I went back and browsed it a few pages further. Still not the book for me. So I'm probably the weird one, not you.

Does it bother me? Not in the least. :blush:

Has anyone read Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk?

Is that the short stories one with 'Guts'?

If so, I read 'Guts' to see what all the hype was about.

To be honest, it was gratuitiously graphic and seemed pointless, like it's only purpose was to freak out the reader and by overdoing that aspect, failed completely. It wasn't disturbing at all, it tried too hard.

I agree that it was far far too overboard on the graphic content and gross-out factor, like i don't know what his point was, except for like, as you said, to try and freak and disgust the reader out.

Fight Club is a fantastic book in my opinion. Which is probably why i was so disappointed when i read this one. I haven't tried any of his other work, so i'll reserve my judgement on his writing abilities. I want to try Invisible Monsters or Choke.

edit: Though within the context of 'Guts' it was written by a character within the novel, so maybe that was his whole point, to show the twisted mind of that particular guy i don't know, haven't picked it up again.

Edited by Rawr

I think you missed the point of the book Rox, the point was to shock and disgust. It was an exercise in the obscene, which apparently worked.

Personally, Fight Club is a better book but Haunted really bears witness to his ability to convey disturbing emotional through very short prose. He succeeded where many others fail dismally.

Edited by O's
Global warming.

Nothing really, I guess I don't read those types of books. The closest was probably Engleby by Sebastian Fawkes, because I liked the ain character and kind of felt I shouldn't

Edited by Lucybird

Mo Hayder The Treatment, much too scarey for me, I had nightmares.

Possibly because was too close to home, I have boys around that age if you know the story.

I just read about it on wikipedia, I hear you Louise, it is way too scary :lol: