The most disturbing work of fiction that you have ever read

Oblomov

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may have been mentioned already but this is a very long thread! :)

One of the most disturbing books I've ever read, and which still disturbs me now when I think about it is The Library Police by Stephen King. It's one of his short stories and the reason I really don't like being late taking books back to the library!

Another one is The Little Prince by Saint-Expury but for different reasons. I cried my eyes out at the end of that story. And it stayed in my head for months. I've never had the guts to read it again.

And I'm another one whose life-long phobia of clowns was caused by IT! :)

Me too! I vividly remember my brother renting the movie IT in the early 90s and i was so brave, telling him "I wont be scared" but then after that first scene when he is staring at the girl through the clothes line and then when he murdered Georgie i was paralysed with fear and couldnt move even if i wanted to, think i couldnt sleep alone for months ha.

Nowadays though i laugh at it. Still a great movie but Tim Curry can be quite funny as well.:)

For me the most unsettling thing in IT was

the relationships of the parents to the children, in particular, Henry Bowers, Bev's and Bill's. Very real and effectively done, highlighting the social state of the internal family behind the scenes.

Gah I'm reading all the IT spoilers and I haven't read the book :)

I've been good and have resisted them all. I really fancy this book now that everyone's talking about how disturbed they were by it. (what does that say about me??? :D:))

I know! I reeeally want to read it now! DISTURB ME!

Books don't disturb me, that's why I'm hunting down the One which will finally scar me for life :)

:) You're on your own personal mission to be disturbed. (and I thought I was bad!! :D)

I'm not particularly disturbed by IT, I adore the story, I think that it addresses a lot of things that mean something and really does strike a chord inside many people.

This is an important novel for that particular generation who grew up when Steve did, the fact that it is so relevant to me who came along much later shows how powerful the essence is, at least in my opinion. Maybe people find it disturbing because there's so much reality behind it.

There is a lot of stuff that is evocative as well as provocative, the message that evil is always in plain sight for all to see is what the story reminded me. Sometimes it just needs the slightest push or the simplest excuse to reveal that often unstable nature of the human being.

Edited by Rawr

If anything disturbed me in IT, it was the

eleven year old group sex in the sewer

scene. That just came out of the blue imo and wasn't needed. Otherwise I love the book, particularly its style. It didn't scar me for life, but it certainly was unsettling as I read through it.

For those looking for a book that will disturb them, I definitely suggest Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. If that one doesn't at least get to you, I don't know what will.

Someone somewhere here posted something about the book Living Dead Girl, can't remember the name of the author, but about a 10 year old girl that gets kidnapped and has to serve her kidnapper for 5 years as a sexslave. Then he forces her to track down a new victim. Now, I haven't read this, but this would be the sort of book to disturb me.. the cruelty people could inflict on other people, and then not just pain, but mental torture, and especially on a child. That would leave me feeling horrible for days at least.

Yes Ilona, I thought that too. It is very extreme and ridiculous in so many senses, I just don't understand what got in his head, that is disturbing for all the wrong reasons and is one thing which clouds the novel over for me. I can understand on some levels what it represents and means, but there were other ways to express it surely.

Agree with the Richard Laymon comments, I'm a huge fan of his work and have read approx 90% of novels and novellas.

In Rage by Steve Gerlach there is a extremely disturbing bit involving a cat, in fact I think it may have been edited out of some of the later publications.

Although I'm yet to read "Jack Ketchums - The girl next door" that's apparently supposed to be extremely distrubing and graphic.

Anyway I'm new to this fourm and I'd like to thank you for helping me compile a TR list :friends0:

Yes Ilona, I thought that too. It is very extreme and ridiculous in so many senses, I just don't understand what got in his head, that is disturbing for all the wrong reasons and is one thing which clouds the novel over for me. I can understand on some levels what it represents and means, but there were other ways to express it surely.

Well, I personally kind of enjoyed the book, for some reason. I can see what you mean, though.

Still, I think that part of his intent with this book was to try and create horror stories out of normal, normally non-threatening objects in everyday life, instead of with supernatural creatures. So that may somewhat explain its disturbing qualities.

Edited by Ilona

I think you got me wrong, I absolutely adore IT and have read it no less than four times through. It is a fantastic and beautiful story, that part has never sat well with me though because it is so distant and unreal from the rest of the interactions with the children.

I think you got me wrong, I absolutely adore IT and have read it no less than four times through. It is a fantastic and beautiful story, that part has never sat well with me though because it is so distant and unreal from the rest of the interactions with the children.

I agree, it had no place in the finale of the story and actually darkened my view of the characters somewhat. I did like IT as it had some extremely disturbing parts and was written well but my two criticisms of the book have to be:

1. The ending- nonsensical and totally at odds with what came before it, it smacked of a panic ending where King felt cornered by his own creation

2. FAR too much detail when describing the structure and landscape of the Barrens and Derry town. King has done this in other books, too, i find it very frustrating. Not happy with a page or two of detailing the rugged ground and structure of pipes and dams etc, King goes into painfully long detail for almost 16 PAGES!! Seriously, read the book again at the part where he describes the town and you feel like you are reading a mini-novel about architecture! :friends0:

Despite this though the book scores an 8 out of 10 for me.

I think King does that a hell of a lot, it is extremely frustrating, I can think of at least three epic, amazing stories that he has ended in similar ways. I know he thinks that the story is the most important thing, and the ending is only there because a written novel has to end at some point, but it is a very poor excuse and reason for him not to pay the stories the endings they deserve.

I like a lot of the detail of Derry, it is pretty excessive and a extremely detailed, which I don't know if it serves the flow of the story brilliantly, it's nice to know a little about a setting and it really brings Derry to life, but sometimes it goes into a seriously huge amount of detail, like the backstory to The Black Spot, I found myself having to take a breath when I finished :friends0: I loved such detail as the Kitchener Ironworks tangent though.