The most disturbing work of fiction that you have ever read

Oblomov

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I read the book recently, and I didn't think it was disturbing. The fim didn't bother me either.

Admittedly, the language annoyed me to no end. I thought it was really clever and I got the point, but it annoyed me.

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews.

A 16 year old sort of raped his younger sister, who didn't seem to mind. They fell in love and... just... no.

I DID love the book though. In fact it's one of my favourites.

But incest isn't really my thing.

Haha.

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews.

A 16 year old sort of raped his younger sister, who didn't seem to mind. They fell in love and... just... no.

I DID love the book though. In fact it's one of my favourites.

But incest isn't really my thing.

Haha.

Yeah, I said earlier on in this post about that book. I'm the same, that series is one of my favourites but it's so disturbing!

Have you read the rest of the books in that series?

that series is one of my favourites but it's so disturbing!

I have definately read 'Flowers in the Attic', 'Petals on the Wind', 'If There Be Thorns' and 'Seeds of Yesterday'. I can't remember if I've read the final one or not, I dont remember the title, so possibly not :D. I do remember them being a bit disturbing but I also remember loving the books and recommending them to my friends .... hmm maybe a re-read in order!

I have definately read 'Flowers in the Attic', 'Petals on the Wind', 'If There Be Thorns' and 'Seeds of Yesterday'. I can't remember if I've read the final one or not, I dont remember the title, so possibly not :D. I do remember them being a bit disturbing but I also remember loving the books and recommending them to my friends .... hmm maybe a re-read in order!

Yep, that's the ones. I let my boyfriend's mum borrow them early last year and I haven't had them back yet. I think I'd like to re-read them at some point too.

Yeah, I said earlier on in this post about that book. I'm the same, that series is one of my favourites but it's so disturbing!

I read the first two, but lost motivation by the third. The characters just wouldn't stop pissing me off. Haha. Flowers in the attic was really the only one I loved.

I confess to not having read Lord of the Flies. I was going to make the attempt until my brother let me know the whole plot. I was 15 at the time and I chickened out. I still won't read it and I'm in my 30s. I have read The Handmaiden's Tale and Flowers in the Attic as well as Clockwork Orange. I got queasy at Dean Kontz's Demon Seed and The Island of Doctor Moreau (by Jules Verne I think) makes me wonder at humanity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yep, that's the ones. I let my boyfriend's mum borrow them early last year and I haven't had them back yet. I think I'd like to re-read them at some point too.

I spent one summer whilst doing a-levels engrossed in Flowers in the Attic; barely left the sofa! Spent most of that summer with swollen eyes from crying so much! Loved them though.

The Lovely Bones disturbed me so much that I stopped reading it after about three chapters and removed it from my home! Horrible horrible horrible.

Most recently I Am Legend. It does a fantastic job of describing Roberts insanity and lonliness.. it even has you thinking what you would do in a similar situation, it even made me where where I would hide should the planet become swarmed by vampires.

But yeah, it really makes you consider what would be like to be truly lonely..for so long, and to finally think you've found a companion at last (the dog) and have it taken away.

Salem's Lot, by Stephen King was rather disturbing to me, despite the fact that I tend to be not as affected by such reads. And then there was Bag of Bones, by the same author. That was simple one strange book to get through, in an extremely troubling way.

I agree 'Salems Lot' is a very creepy book and for me still King's best

Salem's Lot is a great book, i recently read it again and watched the film adaptation (meh) it's not too disturbing in my opinion compared to some events in his other novels. IT is very disturbing for various reasons. He does put some strange stuff in his stories that leave me thinking eeeeeeh Steve???