The most disturbing work of fiction that you have ever read

Oblomov

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pig Island by Mo Hayder. I found this quite a disturbing book and wouldn't want to particularly read any more of her stuff. Parts of it made my feel queasy.

I have also read this and found it a bit disturbing ... especially the 'twist' at the end :). I would give her work another go though in case this one was a one off, but if the next one I read was the same sort of thing I'm afraid I would give her a miss. :D

You should definately add this one to your list Roxy .. it has the lot - cults, violence and a sick little twist. :lol: (by the sounds of things you'll love it then! :D)

Its on my list =D

I don't know why I'm in a horror story mood. Some days I want to read kids books, others, old classic romances, etc.

Atm I'm reading Salem's Lot - it's not gotten scary/disturbing yet, but its a really easy read. One bit made me cry, and it seemed entirely irrelevant to the plot... which is a bit mean. But still.

I want to read The Exorcist.

Primarly because i saw it in a shop when I was about 14 and my mum wouldn't let me buy it, saying it would scare me, and I argued books can't be scary.

I've yet to prove myself wrong, but the film version of The Exorcist fried my brain when I was also about 14 (mum didn't know I watched it hehe) so I'm wondering would the book have the same effect.

I want to read The Exorcist.

Primarly because i saw it in a shop when I was about 14 and my mum wouldn't let me buy it, saying it would scare me, and I argued books can't be scary.

I've yet to prove myself wrong, but the film version of The Exorcist fried my brain when I was also about 14 (mum didn't know I watched it hehe) so I'm wondering would the book have the same effect.

Yes :) well i think so anyway. I read the book when I was about 15 and thought it was far better than the film. Much creepier too :D

I must track down a copy.

I'm well into Salem's Lot now, and its really not creepy at all =P But maybe it'll get worse.

I couldnt sleep for days after reading this! Although I was really young :D

Flowers in the Attic was disturbing. Still loved the series though :lol:

Oh my goodness I remember this series! I read them over 20 yrs ago! Gosh I feel really old now! :D I suppose they were a bit disturbing :D but I have to admit I enjoyed them too :)

A Piece of Cake- Cupcake Brown disturbed me. Its an autobiography about her journey from abused child to drug addict to successful lawyer . It was the cruelty to a child that disturbed me but it was ultimately uplifting and inspiring

I have this on my TBR pile, swapped it a few years ago on RISI :lol:

Gerald's Game by (who else) Stephen King.

With a couple somewhat into bondage, where the husband ties the wife with handcuffs to the bedposts, and then has a heart attack and dies. Leaving the poor woman tied and with no easy way of escaping. Which wouldn't have been a problem in itself, what bothered me is the way she eventually escaped. So yucky/gory/awful it made me stay away from King's books ever since (and I used to be quite a fan, I read more than half of everything he's written) :lol:

Edited by kay_loves_purple

With a couple somewhat into bondage, where the husband ties the wife with handcuffs to the bedposts, and then has a heart attack and dies. Leaving the poor woman tied and with no easy way of escaping. Which wouldn't have been a problem in itself, what bothered me is the way she eventually escaped. So yucky/gory/awful it made me stay away from King's book ever since (and I used to be quite a fan, I read more than half of everything he's written) :roll:

Aha, I read this book some years ago and couldn't remember the title! I was telling my boyfriend about the escape scene because it's stuck with me all these years :lol:

With a couple somewhat into bondage, where the husband ties the wife with handcuffs to the bedposts, and then has a heart attack and dies. Leaving the poor woman tied and with no easy way of escaping. Which wouldn't have been a problem in itself, what bothered me is the way she eventually escaped. So yucky/gory/awful it made me stay away from King's books ever since (and I used to be quite a fan, I read more than half of everything he's written) :lol:

This made me look up that book, coz its one o the ones I have - gonna read it next! =D

It was actually a short story by Stephen King called 'The Lbrary Policeman' from Four Past Midnight, I found it very disturbing (and scary) :lol:

Just finished Lord of the Flies, and I have to agree with those who have labelled this as a "disturbing book." The rapid degeneration of those boys was startling to watch, and it's almost creepy how much some of the episodes mirror common nightmares. It does make me wonder, though, what the book would have been like if it had been about a group of stranded adults, rather than stranded children. By writing about children, Golding was about to get at the primitive savagery that we are all born with, and I think it is that which makes the book so powerful. But maybe it is just my wishful thinking that the story would have turned out differently if it were about adults. Or perhaps is it the fact that this is a question which the book doesn't answer which makes it all the more disturbing because it leaves that possibility open.