The most disturbing work of fiction that you have ever read

Oblomov

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green Mile was a very moving story. But for disturbing fiction Richard Laymon has to have some of the most disturbing stories. Only read a couple of his and no wonder none of his books have turned into films. They would have to bring out a new rating for them 30+ or something.

Lord of the Flies. We had to read it at school and watch the film. A lot of scary stuff you can disregard as pure fiction but Lord of the Flies had that undercurrent of reality.

Ooh that's true, it says a lot about human nature. I remember reading it as a teenager, and being right in the thick of adolescent society I thought at the time, 'yea, that's about right'

'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood, I kept thinking about the women who could not have children or 'unwomen' as they are called were sent to the colonies to die a slow death, all I kept thinking was, 'I am going to end up in those colonies'

'The Dark' by James Herbert, the whole idea of it just scared me and the only chapter or prologue was pretty graphic, I am open minded to a point, so I found it a bit harsh.

'IT' by Stephen King, there is a reason why I am scared of clowns and that book confirmed it!

Without a doubt the scariest book I've ever read is The Broken Window, by Jeffery Deaver. Very scary because it is so possible in this information technology reliant world we live in.

It's about a man killing people & getting information about them to get close to them to kill them by hacking into databases which are formed from "loyalty cards" - like Nectar or Tesco Club cards & from the information gathered by credit card companies, etc.

'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood, I kept thinking about the women who could not have children or 'unwomen' as they are called were sent to the colonies to die a slow death, all I kept thinking was, 'I am going to end up in those colonies'

'IT' by Stephen King, there is a reason why I am scared of clowns and that book confirmed it!

I'd end up in one of those colonies with you! I have The Handmaid's Tale on my pile to be read, and I have heard lots of good things about it.

We share a fear of clowns - I get freaked out by them. We're in good company though - Johnny Depp is scared of them too!

The most disturbing book I ever read was called Aztec and I think by Gary Jennings ? I got about one quarter in and had to stop reading as it was just so sickening, especially the bit about what they did to a young girl who they found was not a virgin. It was just awful, and beyond description. Far too horrific to detail here, I feel ill even now just thinking about it.

I'd end up in one of those colonies with you! I have The Handmaid's Tale on my pile to be read, and I have heard lots of good things about it.

We share a fear of clowns - I get freaked out by them. We're in good company though - Johnny Depp is scared of them too!

I very recently reread The Handmaid's Tale and liked it a lot. I hated it 30 years ago, but I was in my 20's then and I couldn't get past certain parts. But I've a tougher hide now. :D

LOL I would sooo be in one of those colonies, if they didn't hang me first!

The Handmaid's Tale was good, I'm not sure I found it particularly disturbing. We did it for our AS-Level coursework (dystopian societies, Handmaid's Tale and Nineteen Eighty-Four).

I can't really think of any books at the moment, although I know my mother was disturbed by A Child Called 'It' - the first Dave Pelzer book.

The Handmaid's Tale was good, I'm not sure I found it particularly disturbing. We did it for our AS-Level coursework (dystopian societies, Handmaid's Tale and Nineteen Eighty-Four).

I can't really think of any books at the moment, although I know my mother was disturbed by A Child Called 'It' - the first Dave Pelzer book.

I also did A Handmaid's Tale as part of my A Level course and loved the book. I thought it was much better than 1984 which I couldn't get into at all.

A Child Called It, and the subsequent books, are on my list for reading (just stole them off my grandparents).

Hmm, Most disturbing read must have been 'The Collector' By John Fowles. I remember feeling dirty by the end of the book, and the feeling of it wouldn't leave me for some days.

Another one that really stuck me was 'Disgrace' By J.M. Coatzee, both of these books left a cloud over my head. Still though, both of them are some of my favorites, as well as 1984.

A friend of mine just lent me The Collected Works of Marquis de Sade; not by request mind you. But i haven't had the nerve to begin reading any of it. I'm not sure how much moral depravity i want to submit myself to.

• 3 months later...