Live TV - The Sound of Music

muggle not

A live telecast of The Sound of Music was on TV last night and starred Carrie Underwood. I thoroughly enjoyed the production. It was the first time a 3 hour live telecast of a production of this magnitude occurred in many a year. Kudos to Carrie Underwood for taking on such a monumental task. It was nice to see a live Musical on TV again. There were many other stars in the show that I recognized their faces but I am not much for names. :)

I would like to see more shows like this.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/05/showbiz/tv/sound-of-music-remake-carrie-underwood/index.html

Edited by muggle not

I agree- I liked it too.  I LOVE how the set looked like real theater.  I watched 1/2 of it and thought everyone was really good- sometimes when Carrie acted innocent, I don't think she pulled that off- not like Julie Andrews.  But all in all, I totally want more live REAL tv... not "reality" tv

I agree- I liked it too.  I LOVE how the set looked like real theater.  I watched 1/2 of it and thought everyone was really good- sometimes when Carrie acted innocent, I don't think she pulled that off- not like Julie Andrews.  But all in all, I totally want more live REAL tv... not "reality" tv

Agree, live TV of shows like this are really nice to watch. Mistakes are made but that is part of the attraction to a live production of a 3 hour program.

We should remember though that Carrie is a singer, not a professional actor.

Another point is the show was a stage production, not a finely tuned movie.

We occasionally get opera and ballet productions shown on television in the UK, although they're recorded not live, and it's mainly at Christmas, but there is a trend now to broadcast theatre productions live to cinemas.  There's a NT Live series, and I wish I'd made the effort to go and see some of them, as there were some amazing productions shown.  I'd definitely like to try one next year.