The BCF Book Awards 2013

poppyshake

Your favourite read of the year?

I don't think i can stick to just one as i've read some great books this year but i shall restrict myself to top 3

Anna Of The Five Towns  Arnold Bennett

The Hired Man  Melvyn Bragg

Bring Up The Bodies  Hilary Mantel

Your favourite author of the year?

Again difficult to stick to one but i'll go with Melvyn Bragg as i found both A Time To Dance & The Hired Man very moving reads.

Your most read author of the year?

That would be Bernard Cornwell, i've read 2 Sharpes & the excellent 1356 this year

The book you abandoned (if there was more than one, the one you read least of)?

That would be Titus Alone i'm afraid , it really was awful

The book that most disappointed you?

Again Titus Alone i'd loved the previous two books so this was a real let down also The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of A Window And Disappeared, i thought i was going to love this book but i struggled to finish it.

The funniest book of the year?

The Pyschopath Test  Jon Ronson, it wasn't laugh out loud but it was amusing.

Your favourite literary character this year?

A toss up really between Sharpe & Thomas Cromwell

Your favourite children's book this year?

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit  Judith Kerr, i decided to read this after watching the Imagine programme about Judith Kerr, an amazing woman & a very good book.

Your favourite classic of the year?

Again difficult choice but Anna Of The Five Towns wins.

Your favourite non-fiction book this year?

Dead Man Walking  Sister Helen Prejean, this was a book recommended by Ruth & it didn't disappoint.

Your favourite collection of short stories this year?

I read a couple of short story collections this year but neither of them were that good.

Your favourite poetry collection this year?

Well i listened to some John Cooper Clarke this year if that counts  :D 

Your favourite publisher of the year?

Virago

Your favourite re-read of the year?

A Christmas Carol  Charles Dickens 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your favourite book cover of the year?
Your favourite biography this year?
Your favourite illustrated book of the year?
Your favourite audiobook of the year?

Burial Rites - Hannah Kent

Truman Capote

John Pinkney ( Sorry folks, not the best author I read, but I read the most books by him this year )

I'll have to go with The Astronaut Wives Club, only because the author talked about it so much in the book, how the wives had to get together to decide on what colors to wear (for the magazine cover the Book Cover was made from.) They had a lot of influence from the media,etc about what types of dresses they should wear to make them look more like the "everyday housewife ". Also one of them defied tradition by wearing a dress that didn't blend in with the others. She was the prettiest one in the group, ,so wanted to look the part I guess.

51UQILLlEGL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Wisconsin Death Trip, which someone told me great things about . I specially ordered it paperback from amazon and it was a huge disappointment .

A Short History of a Small Place - this has to win. It's a reread , but well worth it . The first in a series of 3 about the people from a small Southern Town . There were lots of funny stories in it about all the quirky characters .

Probably Scott McClanahan, who was also the author of this nonfiction book : Crapalachia, A Biography of a  Place . He grew up very poor in West Virginia and had so many funny stories to tell of his life ,friends and family . Underneath all that funniness was also a sadness for what he has lost throughout his young life and how much he values and misses those people. SO good . He wouldn't exactly be a "literary character" but it's the best I had for this answer.

Paper Towns ( John Green)  ,which wasn't a children's but a YA . Closest I had to a children's aged book .

Wish Her Safe at Home (New York Review Classic Books)- by Stephen Benatar . It's not an Old Classic, but  it's the only that would  fit for a classic theme . It wasn't a favorite by far. Extremely unusual book,  but the only classic I read.

Archie and Amelie : Love and Madness in the Gilded Age  by Donna Lucey . Extremely interesting story of a couple who had everything money could buy, except happiness. Very good book  !

The Bolter by Frances Osborne

The only one I read would have to be Truman Capote's 3 "holiday "novellas in one : A Christmas Memory, One Christmas and A Thanksgiving Visitor .

History Decoded :The Ten Greatest Conspiracies of All Time  by Brad Meltzer-this would be a stretch, because I didnt read anything else that would have had illustrations in it . I'd say this one because it did have a few drawings and blueprints of buildings and maps .

Careless Whispers- Carlton Stowers. One of my all time favorite true crime books .

** I hit short of the mark this year on goals, so I didn't have as many books to choose from this year. Better luck next ! :)

I loved Burial Rites Julie, and it's actually (I'm sure you knew this anyway) based on a true story. I took it to Iceland with me in October, which for me made it all the more poignant - I read half of on the plane coming back.

I do find that there are some brilliant books coming out of Iceland these days - it is rapidly becoming my most read country with at least 8 others on my wish list. I understand though that Burial Rites is being made into a film, which should be really good.

June

yes, I loved that book too . I've never been to Iceland and will probably never get to go, so can you tell me if the scenery the author described matched what you saw ? That part of the book was really impressive to me, how well she described the atmosphere. The cold, the barren landscape ,the isolation of the houses being scattered far apart as they were . 

Yes, I knew it was based on a true story, which made it even better for me . 

That would have been such a neat book to read when actually going there on a trip !  What other books have you read that were set there ? Maybe I can find some more ,and were they just as good ?

I didn't know this was to be made into a movie, but it should be a good one, don't you think ?

Julie - i have a copy of Bolter on my shelves , i don't read an awful lot of biographies so i'm guessing it was probably recommended by someone on here & so i must of bought it when i saw it in a charity shop  :smile:

I like the sound of Burial Rites & as i haven't read any books set in Iceland before i'm going to add it to my wishlist  :D

The Bolter is REALLY good. I think you'll like it . If I remember correctly, it was based on a character in one of Nancy Mitford's books, either The Pursuit of Love    or    Love in a Cold Climate . Those books were both highly enjoyable ,as is this one .

Burial Rites was really good too, so I think you'll like it . Well written and interesting story line .

I've read Love In A Cold Climate many years ago & i think I have The Pursuit Of Love somewhere. I also have another book about the Mitfords which Poppyshake recommended, i think it's called The Mitford Sisters or maybe The Mitford Letters, i can't check it out as it's hidden behind the Christmas tree at the moment  :D

The library website says they have a copy of Burial Rites so i plan to reserve it in the New Year  :smile:

Yes Julie - the landscape is pretty much as described, certainly in the remoter areas anyway. Icelanders say that there are 2 Iceland's - Reykjavik and the rest of the country and that is pretty much true - although two thirds of Icelanders live in Reykjavik the capital city, this is not the real Iceland at all - it is the wilder, remoter areas and the smaller villages and settlements and national parks.

There are so many Icelandic books I could recommend, as Iceland has such a long and celebrated literary heritage starting with the medieval sagas - there are so many of these too. They can be difficult to get to grips with due to the complex weaving of the relationships between the different characters, but they are certainly one way to learn about the history of the country. Probably my favourite is Laxdaela Saga which is a classic Icelandic medieval love triangle. There is also of course the Vinland Sagas which is the true story of the Norse discovery of North America and colonisation of Greenland.

The best known Icelandic author is probably Halldor Laxness. I am almost ashamed to admit that I have only read one of his books - Independent People which is set at the turn of the 20th Century and about the hardships of life faced by an Icelandic farmer and his struggle for survival. It can be a difficult book to read for those who again are not that familiar with the country, and it does not really get going until after the first 100 pages or so, but it is a beautiful book if you persevere, which is quite rightly regarded as a classic.   

As for more modern books, there are just so many. I would recommend anything by Arnaldur Indridarson (crime fiction - probably best to start with the first in the series, Jar City) or Yrsa Sigurdadottir, especially I Remember You, which is a really scary Icelandic ghost story. Also Iceland Defrosted by Edward Hancox (non fiction book about the authors love affair with Iceland) and The Greenhouse by Audur Ava Olafsdottir.  

Other books that are on my wish list that I am yet to read include Season of the Witch by Arni Thorarinsson, The Creator by Gudrun Eva Minervudottir and Reply to a Letter from Helga by Bergsveinn Birgisson. I am sure there are many more too that I am yet to hear about.

The Bolter is REALLY good. I think you'll like it . If I remember correctly, it was based on a character in one of Nancy Mitford's books, either The Pursuit of Love    or    Love in a Cold Climate . Those books were both highly enjoyable ,as is this one .

I think it's based on Idina Sackville West (and written by her great grand-daughter) but there was a character in The Pursuit of Love who was nicknamed 'The Bolter' .. I'm not sure if she was based on Idina or not but she's definitely a similar character. Great books Julie :) 

I've read Love In A Cold Climate many years ago & i think I have The Pursuit Of Love somewhere. I also have another book about the Mitfords which Poppyshake recommended, i think it's called The Mitford Sisters or maybe The Mitford Letters, i can't check it out as it's hidden behind the Christmas tree at the moment  :D

I love all those you've mentioned (as I'm sure I've already said .. once or twice before  :giggle: ) The biog is called The Mitford Girls but there is also The Mitford's: Letters between Six Sisters .. whichever one you've got it's brilliant :D

KM

I have one about the Mitfords too called The Sisters : The Saga of the Mitford Family . It looks and sounds very good !  Hope you are able to get the library book that you wanted !

June

Thank you for the names of all the books set in Iceland. I'll definitely check them out and see if I can locate some.  The Laxness author sounds a bit like our version of James Michener . His books are so good, but the first 100 pages are mind-numbing  , Once you get past that, it'll be a favorite book because he tells such a good tale .

I bet Iceland was beautiful . I can't imagine getting to travel that far. Have you gotten to go to lots of other countries or was this the first time ?  Did you buy any books from there while you were on your trip ?

Thanks again for the list. I'll go see if I can locate some either on amazon or at our library reserve online .

I think it's based on Idina Sackville West (and written by her great grand-daughter) but there was a character in The Pursuit of Love who was nicknamed 'The Bolter' .. I'm not sure if she was based on Idina or not but she's definitely a similar character.

Yes she was. I think you'll find there's no West in her name though: her maiden name was Lady Idina Sackville (actually, it was Myra Idina, but she used her middle name). For some reason. her grandfather slimmed his name down from S-W to just Sackville. She was Vita Sackville-West's second cousin.

Edited by willoyd

Right you are Miss Poppy .. I looked The Bolter up and it says Lady Idina was the "inspiration" for the character of the Bolter in the Mitford book .. Sorry, I was a little bit off . I loved all those books.  Definitely lived life to the fullest and was quite the character ,wasn't she ?  Ornery to the very end .

Yes she was. I think you'll find there's no West in her name though: her maiden name was Lady Idina Sackville (actually, it was Myra Idina, but she used her middle name). For some reason. her grandfather slimmed his name down from S-W to just Sackville. She was Vita Sackville-West's second cousin.

:blush2: Oops ... thanks Willoyd :) I think I stuck it on out of habit  :D

Right you are Miss Poppy .. I looked The Bolter up and it says Lady Idina was the "inspiration" for the character of the Bolter in the Mitford book .. Sorry, I was a little bit off . I loved all those books.  Definitely lived life to the fullest and was quite the character ,wasn't she ?  Ornery to the very end .

No worries Julie .. it was definitely what made me pick up the book and I'm glad I did .. brilliant read :) 

OK here are my "awards"

Jonathon Strange And Mr Norrell Suzanna Clarke

Ali Smith

Jack Vance (11 books)

None jumped out at me sadly..

God Collar Marcus Brigstocke…just rubbish

Inside The Tardis James Chapman

Nineteen Seventy-Nine Rhona Cameron

The servant Childermas from Jonathon Strange And Mr Norrell

No Children’s books read this year!

Emma Jane Austen

Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You  Marcus Chown

The Maid’s Tale Rosie Plummer And Tom Quinn

None read sorry…

Ouch No poetry read

Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell  was the only illustrated book

Gollanz for the second year running!
Your favourite audiobook of the year?

Don’t do audiobooks

Up The Line  Robert Silverberg

(Have to add one here)

Best Victorian History book?

London In The 19th Century  Jerry White

Edited by vodkafan

Some more info if anyone is interested....as I used a rating system for the first time this year I might as well  use that information.

I seemed to be quite happy with my choice of books overall.

Out of 98 books I gave:

2   at  1*

16 at  2*

18 at  3*

27 at  4*

25 at  5*

10 at  6*

The ten six star books are:

The Book Thief

Girl Meets Boy

Girl, Interrupted

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry

London In The Nineteenth Century

Jonathon Strange And Mr Norrell

Small Island

Flowers For Algernon

The Star King

Nineteen Seventy Nine

If I were to readjust the marks in hindsight I would knock The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry  back down to a 4 or 5

Edited by vodkafan

June

Thank you for the names of all the books set in Iceland. I'll definitely check them out and see if I can locate some.  The Laxness author sounds a bit like our version of James Michener . His books are so good, but the first 100 pages are mind-numbing  , Once you get past that, it'll be a favorite book because he tells such a good tale .

I bet Iceland was beautiful . I can't imagine getting to travel that far. Have you gotten to go to lots of other countries or was this the first time ?  Did you buy any books from there while you were on your trip ?

Thanks again for the list. I'll go see if I can locate some either on amazon or at our library reserve online .

No problem Julie - yes Iceland is beautiful and for me only 3 hours away. I am really lucky in that I live just half an hour from Gatwick as well, which has the cheapest fares. I have been to a fair number of other countries, including the rest of Scandinavia, but Iceland is for me the best - I have been 7 times over the last 30 years, and hope to go again next summer to some of the more remote wilderness areas in the northwest, which are well off the beaten track.

As for Icelandic books, because I prefer Kindle, I treated it as more of a scouting exercise really. Books are so expensive there that is it cheaper to buy them when you get home anyway, plus Kindle is always cheaper anyway. I could and frequently do spend hours in the Reykjavik book stores even so. 

Some more info if anyone is interested....as I used a rating system for the first time this year I might as well  use that information.

Nice idea vodkafan, so shamelessly copying. Will edit later to include any books read between now and the end of the year.

I've read somewhat less than you, just half: 49 books to date including a couple of rereads. I have used the same rating system as you, but have used it for some 7 or 8 years now, with the all-time list favourite list (6 stars) going back some 30-40. In that time, only some 80-90 books have made it to the top tier, so 3 new ones this year is about par for the course. There seem to be a lot more 5 star awards than usual, with the 4 stars being slightly lower, but the lower ratings are about average.

Of the new reads:

1 star = 5

2 star = 4

3 star = 12

4 star = 10

5 star = 11

6 star = 3

The 6 star awards this year went to:

David Copperfield - Charles Dickens

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet - David Mitchell

Letters to Alice on first reading Jane Austen - Fay Weldon

The 6 star rereads were:

Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

A Month in the Country - JL Carr

At the other extreme, the 1-star awards went to

The Boy in Striped Pyjamas - John Boyne

Yellow Birds - Kevin Powers

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Starter for Ten - David Nicholls

Alone in Berlin - Hans Fallada

Edited by willoyd

Hi willoyd  that's very interesting that your clustering is virtually the same as mine! If we represented them as bar charts they would be almost identical in shape.

A question: Why did you mark The Boy In Striped Pyjamas so low-did you find it overly sentimental perhaps?

Letters To Alice sounds interesting.

A question: Why did you mark The Boy In Striped Pyjamas so low-did you find it overly sentimental perhaps?

That was a part of it: I definitely don't do sentiment! My notes at the time said: I did try to read The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas for a book group, but failed to get anything out of it, and packed in early. I found the language simple and bland, the writing clunky, and the main protagonist totally without credibility (the nine year old son of a major Nazi player who apparently doesn't know the word Fuehrer, and doesn't seem to know much else, including the fact that he's missing from the Hitler Youth. Not like any 9-year old I've ever taught) I can't understand its popularity, at least amongst adults.

Which, I think, pretty much summed it up! I started to lose patience pretty early, staggered on for a bit, but don't think I even made it a quarter of the way through before I resorted to skim reading. I didn't find anything to make me want to go back and read it properly.

On the distribution of our ratings: yes, shape would look similar. I think I've just shifted down a bit: you peak at 4*, I peak at 3*, which gives your graph more room to tail down at the 1* end, where I've got more than you, whilst I've got more room to tail down at the top, where you've proportionally got more than me.

Edited by willoyd

June

You're so very lucky to have gotten to travel so many times . What great memories you must have ,and have yet to make :)

I forgot about the Kindle but yes, it makes a lot of sense that the books would be much easier and cheaper to purchase for that, rather than in an Iceland bookstore .

Out of the ones you mentioned, I'm very interested in the scarey ghost story, which I put on my Amazon wish list. It says it's not available til this spring ( over here anyhow, maybe sooner over there ) .

I'll also check out some of the others you mentioned .

So have you been to Iceland at any time that they have flowers growing ? I wondered if it ever gets warm enough there for flowers or gardens ?