Your Book Activity - December 2013

Kylie

My mojo's returned for Christmas! :) I've read the three Pippi Longstockings and quite enjoyed them all. I'm now reading the first book in the Karlsson-on-the-Roof (by Astrid Lindgren) series and it's absolutely wicked! :smile2:

This is very good news :) I didn't know Santa could bring back lost mojos .. oh there's no end to his benevolence :D The Astrid books are part of my present haul so I'm looking forward to dipping into them  :smile: 

Have started Danny Baker's Going to Sea in a Sieve: The Autobiography .. very funny so far  :smile: 

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Christmas At High Rising this morning - it's a collection of short stories based around the characters from Angela Thirkell's Barsetshire series and I did enjoy it, although I think I'd have benefited from reading some of the books in the series first, so I knew who everyone was and their relationships to each other.  I guess that means I'll just have to read the series now! :D 

I've now started Frost Hollow Hall by Emma Carroll, which is another one of my Christmas books, and it's going well so far! :smile2:

That's great to hear, Frankie :)!

Thanks! It's been a fabulous few days! :) But mojo might go away at any moment, so I'm enjoying the ride while it lasts :D

This is very good news :) I didn't know Santa could bring back lost mojos .. oh there's no end to his benevolence :D The Astrid books are part of my present haul so I'm looking forward to dipping into them  :smile: 

When I was reading these, I kept thinking I need to go and check which Astrid Lindgren books poppyshake now has so I can tell her to put these ones on top of TBR.. :D And to see if you have these particular ones. I'm loving Karlsson... I already made it to the second book and I'm enjoying it so much. Karlsson is my new Lindgren favorite!! :)

Last night, well...really about 2 this morning....I finished Pines by Blake Crouch.  I'm already reading the second in the series, so you know it was good. :)  Reviewed over on my thread.

My final book of 2013 which will last me into 2014 is Confessions of a Mask by Yukio Mishima. I read The Temple of the Golden Pavilion in the summer and got along with it ok. It didn't move me but I suspect that this book has a storyline which is more my kind of thing.

Veronica Roth's Allegiant will be my final book of 2013, I am glad to finish the series, as I wanted to start with a fresh book off my TBR list for the New Year.  Love the series, not so hot on Allegiant as I was with Divergent and Insurgent (which I liked the best, but I love the middles in trilogies).

I'm currently reading Small Gods by Terry Pratchett, but I keep jumping between books. So I'm also reading The Rise and Fall of Modern Medicine by James Le Fanu and On Writing by Stephen King depending on my mood. :P

x

I quite liked Small Gods, though I like all the Discworld books I've read so far so :P. I hope you enjoy all the books you're reading!

Nearly 900 pages into A Dance with Dragons - only 250 to go  :o

x

Amazing! I'm glad you're liking it so far :).

I haven't yet picked up a new book, I've been reading bits of magazines and I've been busy. I plan to pick up a book in a few days, but at least such that I won't finish it in 2013, since I've already done my statistics for the year and I don't feel like re-doing it :giggle2:.

I'm 85% through Inferno by Dan Brown so I will most likely finish it today.

After that I want to read Stuffed and Starved: From Food to Fork: The Hidden Battle for the World Food System. I bought it as part of the Kindle Christmas sale, so it kind of goes against my plan of tackling oldest books first. :sarcastic:

I'm nearing the halfway mark in Secret History hoping to finish it before the years out ready for the reading circle discussion. Coincidentially the books being discussed on Radio 4's bookclub on Sunday 5th, January for anyone who's interested in tuning in  :D

I've just finished Frost Hollow Hall by Emma Carroll which was a YA Victorian ghost story, and thought it was really good.

Carrying on with my Christmas books, I'm going to start Alex, the dog and the unopenable door by Ross Montgomery next.  I think my OH has picked all children's/YA books for me this year, and all ones I've never heard of so I have no idea what they're about!

hit the 1000 page point of The Stand, hoping to get it finished nxt few days, got a pile of books to read!

OOOOHH!  You are so lucky!  I want to re read The Stand, don't know if it will happen this year or not.  have you read it before or is it new to you?

I am surprised I didn't see that Stuffed and Starved bobblybear, as I had a good look at all the sale books and don't remember seeing that one - but I have added it to my wish list, as it's a subject I am very interested in.

I am on my 6th book for the month, and my 90th for the year, which I should be able to finish within 3 days.

The books I have read then this month (including the current one) are:

Three Years in Tristan de Cunha: Kathleen Mary Barrow

A Gay and Melancholy Sound: Merle Miller

The Sorrow of Angels: Jon Kalman Stefansson

The Book of NIght Women: Marlon James

A Palace in the Old Village: Tahar Ben Jelloun (also in the Kindle sale)

A Distant Shore: Caryl Phillips 

Edited by Talisman

90 books, that's a lot! You've read a lot of books this month, too. Congrats :)!

I haven't yet started a new book and am still reading magazines instead. I think I might start Peter V. Brett - Demon Cycle 3: The Daylight War soon, but I'm not sure yet. I have to say, by not reading a book for a few days, it makes me want to read all the more so! I'm enjoying reading the magazines though.

I am surprised I didn't see that Stuffed and Starved bobblybear, as I had a good look at all the sale books and don't remember seeing that one - but I have added it to my wish list, as it's a subject I am very interested in.

It's still only £1.09, so I assume it's still part of the sale. I'm about 8% through it so far, and it's very good. It makes for uncomfortable reading, and has motivated me to try buying more locally produced fruit, vegetables and meat.

Books received for Christmas

'The Time Keeper' by Mitch Albom

'The Good Father' by Diane Chamberlain

'Instructions for a Heatwave' by Maggie O'Farrell

'Snow Flower and the Secret Fan' by Lisa See

OOOOHH!  You are so lucky!  I want to re read The Stand, don't know if it will happen this year or not.  have you read it before or is it new to you?

its the 2nd time , excellent book